Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gotta Brag!!!! Kinda basketball related........

Started by ShadowHawg, June 21, 2016, 05:45:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

My daughter got her ACT score today and it was a 30! We wanted to do something special for her.

She wants to go to the Cavs parade. We are hopping in the car in a few minutes and leaving from NWA and DRIVING all the way through tonight.

Would appreciate some prayers for safe travel. Thanks

Hogfaniam

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 21, 2016, 05:45:09 pm
My daughter got her ACT score today and it was a 30! We wanted to do something special for her.

She wants to go to the Cavs parade. We are hopping in the car in a few minutes and leaving from NWA and DRIVING all the way through tonight.

Congrats and pics or it didn't happen😀
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

ShadowHawg

PonderinHog

husker71

Isnt 30 the magic number for lots of scholarships to in state school??

ShadowHawg

Quote from: husker71 on June 21, 2016, 09:52:44 pm
Isnt 30 the magic number for lots of scholarships to in state school??

Yep. Very proud of her. She just broadened her educational horizons.

ShadowHawg

Inhogswetrust

Must be a scoring mistake..............someone scores 30 on the Act and the only thing they want is to drive that far for a parade..............

Just kidding. Congrats to her.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

labb

Make sure that you get the applications in early for the available scholarships. Pretty sure she will qualify for all of the big ones but you still have to do the paper work. Probably worth over $100,000. Great job by your daughter. You best hug her. Says something about the Parents too.

PonderinHog

Quote from: labb on June 22, 2016, 07:35:30 am
Make sure that you get the applications in early for the available scholarships. Pretty sure she will qualify for all of the big ones but you still have to do the paper work. Probably worth over $100,000. Great job by your daughter. You best hug her. Says something about the Parents too.
Her mother must be like a genius or something...

ricepig

Quote from: labb on June 22, 2016, 07:35:30 am

It takes a 32 or above to get the "big" ones, that's at the UofA, every school is different. Also, I don't know what grade she's in but take it every time until college. It doesn't cost much and you can/should improve, plus several allow for super scores.

gmarv

labb

Quote from: ricepig on June 22, 2016, 10:17:10 am
It takes a 32 or above to get the "big" ones, that's at the UofA, every school is different. Also, I don't know what grade she's in but take it every time until college. It doesn't cost much and you can/should improve, plus several allow for super scores.
How about the state scholarships?

Razorbackers

This 100%. Best I ever made on the ACT on it's own was a 26, but my super score was a 28. It made a big difference in my scholarship amount.

Also, don't just apply for school/state scholarships. I won 1000 from Coca Cola and 500 from like...Ducks Unlimited or something. For writing ESSAYS haha.

revolution

I agree with this one.  My daughter made a 32 and received $10,000 annual governor's distinguished scholarship and $8,000 annual UA scholarship.  That just about covered everything for her at UA.  With a 30 on ACT, she would have received the state lottery scholarship ($1,000 first year, then goes up) and I think $5,000 from UA.  So big difference!

But here's some encouragement.  My daughter's first score was 26 or 27.  She used free resources online and maybe paid a little for some study materials and practice tests to raise her score.  I think she ended up taking the test 5 or 6 times.  But it was worth it!

Sports related - my daughter played h.s. basketball.  But ultimately the academics paid her way to college.

Congrats to your daughter and Good Luck!

revolution

Quote from: revolution on June 22, 2016, 11:36:39 am
I agree with this one.  My daughter made a 32 and received $10,000 annual governor's distinguished scholarship and $8,000 annual UA scholarship.  That just about covered everything for her at UA.  With a 30 on ACT, she would have received the state lottery scholarship ($1,000 first year, then goes up) and I think $5,000 from UA.  So big difference!

But here's some encouragement.  My daughter's first score was 26 or 27.  She used free resources online and maybe paid a little for some study materials and practice tests to raise her score.  I think she ended up taking the test 5 or 6 times.  But it was worth it!

Sports related - my daughter played h.s. basketball.  But ultimately the academics paid her way to college.

One more thing - that 30 on the ACT will get a larger scholarship at other state schools than it will it UA (like UCA, Henderson, etc.).  Most of the universities post their academic scholarships and what's needed to get them online. 

Hope you all enjoyed the trip to Cleveland!

mhuff

She wants to go to the Cavs parade. We are hopping in the car in a few

minutes and leaving from NWA and DRIVING all the way through tonight.

Proud for all

ricepig

Quote from: revolution on June 22, 2016, 11:36:39 am

I believe that is a 32 made on one ACT test, and not your super score. #1 made a 31 got the Chancellor's Scholarship and another one, and had the $4000/yr Lottery scholly. #2 made a 32, but ended up with the same schollys as #1. She tried two years to get that 1 pt increase over her brother, lol. The level of competition was higher and put her in the same level 4 years later.

What's amazing, is my youngest had two classmates make a 32 on the ACT as 7th graders in the Duke ACT program.

labb

One thing that all need to remember. It is one thing to earn the scholarships, it is another thing to keep them. Lots of kids go on scholarship and loose them the first year.

Dr. Starcs

^^^

Those that "loose" them probably don't know how to spell

greghog

THIS!  My son was stuck with a certain score for several takes.  It even when down a point once.  Then, WHAM, went up 4 points.  HUGE difference is scholarship money.  UofA pays him to go to UofA instead of the other way around.  Take it, take it and then take it again!

greghog

Quote from: labb on June 22, 2016, 02:56:40 pm
One thing that all need to remember. It is one thing to earn the scholarships, it is another thing to keep them. Lots of kids go on scholarship and loose them the first year.

One key is to get into the Honors College Fellowship.  It is a competitive deal to get in.  But the kids that get into that get watched like a hawk.  UofA has a staffer who doesn't just watch the grades at the end of the term, but keeps up with them during the term.  If they see a kid with grades of C or even too many B's they will call him or her in, arrange for help if necessary.  They don't do that, of course, with most students.  Big help.  They told us that they rarely have a kid who is a Honors College Fellow lose their money. 

ricepig

Quote from: greghog on June 22, 2016, 03:55:52 pm
One key is to get into the Honors College Fellowship.  It is a competitive deal to get in.  But the kids that get into that get watched like a hawk.  UofA has a staffer who doesn't just watch the grades at the end of the term, but keeps up with them during the term.  If they see a kid with grades of C or even too many B's they will call him or her in, arrange for help if necessary.  They don't do that, of course, with most students.  Big help.  They told us that they rarely have a kid who is a Honors College Fellow lose their money. 

Yep, they do a good job, but generally, if they're selected for Honor College, they've got the school work figured out.

HogBreath

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 22, 2016, 07:41:53 am
Her mother must be like a genius or something...
Absolutely, thank goodness the girl took after her mother.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

greghog

Quote from: ricepig on June 22, 2016, 04:07:22 pm
Yep, they do a good job, but generally, if they're selected for Honor College, they've got the school work figured out.

Good point.