Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pay raise for Anderson?

Started by ricepig, June 16, 2016, 03:59:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

opineonswine

Gotta keep pace.  I like Mike.  I'm hoping he shuts everyone up this year.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: opineonswine on June 16, 2016, 05:14:18 pm

So you think he deserves a raise?  I am in the camp that you have to actually win something like a SECC or go deep into the NCAAT before you get a bump in salary. I say keep the salary and incentives in play.  $2.5M+ incentives is not a bad wage.

cosmodrum

Quote from: opineonswine on June 16, 2016, 05:14:18 pm

Same here, but I see no reason to give him a raise at this juncture. Hell, his seat gets pretty warm if he doesn't make the NCAAT next season.
Go away, batin'

PonderinHog

I hope he makes three million this year.

ricepig

Biggus Piggus

As the league's TV revenue continues to rise, you can't hold coaches' salaries flat. You also can't send an inadvertent message about the status of your head coach, while you're playing games with compensation. If you don't want to make your coach look vulnerable at a critical moment in the recruiting cycle -- which would affect multiple years' recruiting -- of course you have to update his pay package to stay competitive with the rest of the SEC.

Already made the decision about who's the coach. It's complete crap to consider putting your coach on the hot seat just to appease some agitated boosters. If a change is not obvious, you stay committed. If a change is obvious, make the change.
[CENSORED]!

HoopS

^

That's right. Really nothing surprising here. If we fail, the outcome will be the same after the season with or without this. More about recruiting than anything usually. We've all seen this enough by now that we oughta understand how this works.

1hawgballer2

I feel this season will be very special, if you want pay him , there are schools out there who will

GuvHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 17, 2016, 11:18:32 am
So you think he deserves a raise?  I am in the camp that you have to actually win something like a SECC or go deep into the NCAAT before you get a bump in salary. I say keep the salary and incentives in play.  $2.5M+ incentives is not a bad wage.

100% agree. Raises are earned and Mike hasn't done anything to earn his raise yet.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawg Red

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2016, 03:47:21 pm
Raises are earned and Mike hasn't done anything to earn his raise yet.

Fair to say that is for the person(s) giving him the raise to decide. They understand the full scope of what is expected of him as the head coach of the basketball team and a prominent representative of the university's athletic department.

ShadowHawg

100% agree. Raises are earned and Mike hasn't done anything to earn his raise yet.

But CBB has with a conference record of 7-15?

Rick Barnes, Avery Johnson, and Bruce Pearl all get paid more than our coach.

You guys claim that this program is supposed to be big time but you want to pay the coach middle of the pack money and complain about building practice facilities.

MA has raised the in conference winning pct here by nearly 20 % over the decade prior to his hiring. It's not like he has done nothing like you claim, and the raise was about commensurate with what he has done.

You act like they doubled his salary or something.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 17, 2016, 04:11:44 pm

Rick Barnes, Avery Johnson, and Bruce Pearl all get paid more than our coach.

You guys claim that this program is supposed to be big time but you want to pay the coach middle of the pack money and complain about building practice facilities.

MA has raised the in conference winning pct here by nearly 20 % over the decade prior to his hiring. It's not like he has done nothing like you claim, and the raise was about commensurate with what he has done.

You act like they doubled his salary or something.

I've never complained about building practice facilities.

I want to pay the coach what he has earned and he hasn't earned a raise. If the Hogs turn out to be as successful as some believe they will be this season, Mike will no doubt have earned a very nice raise.

HogBreath

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 17, 2016, 04:11:44 pm

Most are able to grasp the wee bit of difference between SEC football and SEC basketball, too bad that eludes you.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

mbgrulz

Were any of you campaigning for CMA to get a raise after last year's 27 W season? He earned a raise for that season no doubt.

The reality is that coaches make what they make because their bosses deem them worth it.  We all try to get the most $ we can get out of our job. If you have a problem with CMA's salary, be mad at Jeff Long...Not Mike. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HogBreath on June 17, 2016, 09:59:25 pm
Most are able to grasp the wee bit of difference between SEC football and SEC basketball, too bad that eludes you.

Right. In the 15 years prior to CBB the program had a SEC record of 61-49. So evidently you DON'T have a grasp of how our program performs in SEC football. 7-17 is WAY below acceptable here regardless of league.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2016, 04:34:57 pm

I want to pay the coach what he has earned and he hasn't earned a raise. If the Hogs turn out to be as successful as some believe they will be this season, Mike will no doubt have earned a very nice raise.

If the coach who has had the best season in 20 years can't get a SMALL raise, then who can?

mbgrulz

Quote from: GuvHog on June 17, 2016, 04:34:57 pm

Well how much has he earned? What would you pay him? Would you yo-yo his salary every year based solely on W's and L's?

HogBreath

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 17, 2016, 10:31:57 pm
Right. In the 15 years prior to CBB the program had a SEC record of 61-49. So evidently you DON'T have a grasp of how our program performs in SEC football. 7-17 is WAY below acceptable here regardless of league.

Wasn't the football team 5-3 in conference play last year?  You do know that right? 

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HoopS

Both coaches should continue to get raises if that's what it takes. Both have a tough job. But both represent us well and both know how to win ballgames. Jeff Long understands how the game works.

mbgrulz

Quote from: HoopS on June 18, 2016, 11:11:25 am
Both coaches should continue to get raises if that's what it takes. Both have a tough job. But both represent us well and both know how to win ballgames. Jeff Long understands how the game works.
Well said.

WilsonHog

Coaching major college football and basketball isn't like working at the local Kroger where raises are solely a function of job performance. It's the same principal as we see in professional sports, where salaries are more a function of the market and status than anything else.

When college coaches get to the top of their profession - and that's what a job in a Power 5 conference is - they're going to make $2.5 to $4 million a year. Doesn't matter whether they win 7 games or 10, 15 or 25. They'll likely be at their current school three to seven years, before they either get fired or decide they need a change.

That's why I do not get caught up in what a coach makes. I don't know, or care, what any of our coaches make. They make what they make. I have no "philosophical" or "principled" position on it.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HogBreath on June 18, 2016, 07:05:27 am
Wasn't the football team 5-3 in conference play last year?  You do know that right?

Didn't we have the best season in 20 years under Anderson? You do know that right?

My belief is that BOTH coaches deserve a raise, but if you apply the same logic people such as yourself apply to MA to the football program, which is to look at a complete body of work instead of the overall trends of the programs, you can't justify a raise for CBB either. I mean he did lose Toledo and Tech just last season did he not?

Like I said, if the coach that led you to the best season you have had in 2 decades can't get a small raise, who can?

fineswine

If he were a free agent there would not be a bidding war.

1hawgballer2

I repeat if you won't increase his pay before the season begins, there are schools out there that will offer twice as much after the season has ended to get him...

ricepig

Quote from: ricolacey on June 18, 2016, 03:32:56 pm
I repeat if you won't increase his pay before the season begins, there are schools out there that will offer twice as much after the season has ended to get him...

Want to bet?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 17, 2016, 10:31:57 pm

Do you have a grasp on anything? This is nonsense. What is acceptable at Arkansas is the football team staying on track with its extensive, top-to-bottom reconstruction program. That is what is happening, and that is why Bret Bielema's seat is a cool 55 degrees.
[CENSORED]!

majestic

Quote from: ricolacey on June 18, 2016, 03:32:56 pm

No way.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 18, 2016, 03:39:57 pm
Do you have a grasp on anything? This is nonsense. What is acceptable at Arkansas is the football team staying on track with its extensive, top-to-bottom reconstruction program. That is what is happening, and that is why Bret Bielema's seat is a cool 55 degrees.

You should read down a little further in the thread. I was simply using absurdity to point out the absurdity that MA shouldn't even get a modest raise.

Quote from: ShadowHawg on June 18, 2016, 02:52:11 pm
Didn't we have the best season in 20 years under Anderson? You do know that right?

My belief is that BOTH coaches deserve a raise, but if you apply the same logic people such as yourself apply to MA to the football program, which is to look at a complete body of work instead of the overall trends of the programs, you can't justify a raise for CBB either. I mean he did lose Toledo and Tech just last season did he not?

Like I said, if the coach that led you to the best season you have had in 2 decades can't get a small raise, who can?

HogBreath

Didn't we have the best season in 20 years under Anderson?

Lol....Mike has been a big part, either head coach or basically head coach, for 11 of those 20 years.  Really a great point you make here.

GuvHog

If Mike was going to get a raise, he should have gotten it after that 27 win season ended because he earned it that season. A raise was not earned this last year, not after a .500 season.

HoopS

Quote from: GuvHog on June 18, 2016, 07:37:26 pm
If Mike was going to get a raise, he should have gotten it after that 27 win season ended because he earned it that season. A raise was not earned this last year, not after a .500 season.
so he got it a year late. No harm done. He will need to get us into the tournament this season either way.

HogBreath

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on June 18, 2016, 07:37:26 pm

He got a contract extension in Dec of that season.

mizzouman

Of topic, sort of, but I would love to see coaches get a base salary of $500k.  Build in incentives so they can make as much as the school can afford.  But the incentive levels should be the same....like if you win 20 games you get another $50k, win SEC get another $1M, etc. 

But, I don't have an issue with schools over paying for their coaches either as long as their budget can take it.

jackflash

I wouldn't give a raise off of last year. Don't think Mike expects one.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on June 20, 2016, 08:09:44 am
Of topic, sort of, but I would love to see coaches get a base salary of $500k.  Build in incentives so they can make as much as the school can afford.  But the incentive levels should be the same....like if you win 20 games you get another $50k, win SEC get another $1M, etc. 

But, I don't have an issue with schools over paying for their coaches either as long as their budget can take it.

Would be nice except for the fact that some schools have built in advantages and guys that win big at lesser jobs are producing on a higher level while taking career risks by taking jobs with handicaps.

In 2012, the average Div 1 coach was paid 1.4 million. That's taking in all 300 plus programs with Coach K having lead the way at 4.7 million.

It really shows the ignorance of our fans and others that complained that MA got paid an original BASE salary of 1.6 million with a top of 2.2 million after incentives to come here after turning down Georgia's offer of over 2 million and Oregon's offer of 3 million.

The 2.2 million number was only after all incentives were reached. The fact that they act like a guy with an elite eight, 2 sweet 16's and the most successful season in the history of Missouri basketball was barely better than average is a testament to their bias and lack of depth in understanding of the current state of college basketball.

In this forum, we have some of the worst fans around and least informed. Sometimes I think that the we are getting punished in basketball because of the spoiled attitudes and ungrateful negativity of these people and their unrealistic beliefs about our program, it's history, and how that history came to be.

ArkansasI

I don't know what recruiting disadvantages Arkansas would suffer by Mike not getting a raise.  The extension after 2015 seems to have been the positive message sender to recruits.  Perhaps opposing coaches say, "Yeah, but he's only makin' $2.5M"... meh.

On the other hand, I believe that Mike had one of his best coaching years in 2015-16.  That team was a train wreck that never happened... Kingsley, Hannahs and Bell were terrific.

With some outstanding recruits on the horizon, I saw sunshine disappear with a heavy clap and torrential rain fall when Monk pledged his allegiance to Lexington.  The biggest Arkansas recruit in over a decade, who knows Mike as well as any recruit knows any coach in the country, chooses the nemesis...  Ugh!

Then, Mike puts together what appears to be a competitive roster.  Hmmm...  I honestly don't know how he did it.  The players that are committing might appreciate that Mike's job appears stable, and Arkansas has this brand new practice facility.  Whatever, there may be reason for hope.  If increasing Mike's salary feeds the engine that is now moving us forward, so be it.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoopS on June 18, 2016, 08:52:20 pm
so he got it a year late. No harm done. He will need to get us into the tournament this season either way.

Be serious. Giving Mike a raise after a .500 season made the U of A look bad. I can just sense the laughter of other college ADs and head coaches all across the country.

PonderinHog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 20, 2016, 11:39:35 am
Be serious. Giving Mike a raise after a .500 season made the U of A look bad. I can just sense the laughter of other college ADs and head coaches all across the country.
Did you get a raise this year?  Did you earn it?

majp51

If you are a salaried employee at most large corporations, especially at middle to upper management, you raise is based on  2 components:

1. Your Performance
and
2. "Cost of Living" (which accounts for inflation and what people in the same job make)

Like it or not, Universities are very much a big corporation, and College Athletics even more so. So this is likely a "cost of Living" raise, this doesn't signal anything, other than smart business sense by the Athletic Department.

GuvHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 20, 2016, 11:54:11 am
Did you get a raise this year?  Did you earn it?

Nope on both counts.

My issue isn't with the raise itself, it's with the timing of the raise. A raise after the 27 win season was warranted and should have happened but waiting to do it a year later after a disastrous .500 season makes the U of A look bad.

PonderinHog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 20, 2016, 12:25:19 pm
Nope on both counts.

My issue isn't with the raise itself, it's with the timing of the raise. A raise after the 27 win season was warranted and should have happened but waiting to do it a year later after a disastrous .500 season makes the U of A look bad.
Did you earn last year's raise?

GuvHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 20, 2016, 12:32:26 pm
Did you earn last year's raise?

I've been on SS disability for 10 years, unfortunately.

HoopS

I have seen exactly one place even talking about it. Hogville. You primarily. I don't think the rest of the country is laughing about it. They understand how college athletics and coaching works. Now, I get that we didn't have a great season and based off that alone, I agree that you wouldn't give a raise for that. But things are often deeper than that. And this is a non-topic everywhere except right here and you should be happy to know that you seem to lead the way in being upset with this. This is a meh subject. He still needs to do well next season.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on June 20, 2016, 01:13:21 pm
I've been on SS disability for 10 years, unfortunately.

Do they as adjust it for inflation?

GuvHog

mbgrulz

Dumbest thing I've heard all day. Giving Mike a raise shows were serious about basketball.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoopS on June 20, 2016, 03:10:00 pm
I have seen exactly one place even talking about it. Hogville. You primarily. I don't think the rest of the country is laughing about it. They understand how college athletics and coaching works. Now, I get that we didn't have a great season and based off that alone, I agree that you wouldn't give a raise for that. But things are often deeper than that. And this is a non-topic everywhere except right here and you should be happy to know that you seem to lead the way in being upset with this. This is a meh subject. He still needs to do well next season.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm upset about it. The better description would be that I'm simply puzzled by the timing.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on June 20, 2016, 03:41:10 pm
Not that I have noticed.

They do SS every year, I figured SSI would increase too, I'll see what the interwebs say.

Appears they do, although both didn't get on in 2016.

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/latestCOLA.html