Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016-17 roster/starters

Started by redleg, May 09, 2016, 11:58:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 10, 2016, 11:11:07 am
If we add Ross, that may get us off the bubble and solidly into the dance. Ross, with his experience, would be huge at the beginning of the season when some of the other guys are getting their first taste of D1 ball.
If Ross is the difference between being making and missing the NCAAT, then Mike will probably be looking for a new job. I do not see Ross coming, and this team should be a fringe top 25 team without him.

Atlhogfan1

In these conversations, I think something to keep in mind is Barford's rep as a strong defender.  His size and athleticism along with it suggests we may finally have a complete guard as in one effective both offensively and defensively and Mike can make decisions from there as far as who to play with him.  ie not as necessary to compensate by having to play Watkins with him for defense or Hannahs for offense.  We may finally have a situation where Mike can prioritize defense while not killing offensive production when you add in the type of 6-5 - 6-7 athletes coming along with Barford.  It just depends how quickly they pick up what they are asked to do defensively.  There is decision making involve in it that can take time as we have seen.  The roster certainly seems to offer more versatility as far as combinations. 

I expect as usual the non conf schedule rotations will differ from the conference rotations.  It is going to interesting to see the conditioning of the newcomers and how they will hold up late in the season.  Our 2014-15 team looked tired especially Portis and Beard in the last weeks of the season and post season.

I think it is safe to assume Barford and Moses will lead the team in minutes with close to 30 mpg perhaps.  That is a great start for players able to play effectively on both ends which is already an improvement.  The combinations with them may vary for a while. 

Last season's minutes:
Game Statistics
Player GP MIN 
Dusty Hannahs 32 27.1
Moses Kingsley 32 29.5
Anthlon Bell 32 28.7
Anton Beard 23 20.9
Jabril Durham 32 27.8
Jimmy Whitt 32 17.2
Manuale Watkins 32 19.7
Trey Thompson 29 17.3
Lorenzo Jenkins 1 7.0
Keaton Miles 32 15.0
Willy Kouassi 31 8.2
Jake Mosiman 1 1.0
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rude1

Quote from: jry04 on May 09, 2016, 12:11:35 pm
Barford was told he is being recruited to play PG. That could change if Beard develops, but I think he will have to make a huge leap to start. Also, if Beard and Barford play at the same time, who is the ball handler off the bench?

I could see Barford, Hannahs/Macon, Bailey/Thomas, Cook, and Kingsley.
I think the term "point guard " is probably the most misused term for us because of the halfcourt offense we run. With the motion offense it puts the ball in all the guards and wings hands at times with the opportunity to create for themselves or others. Once guys on the court understand who the playmakers are they will naturally look to get the ball in their hands on the break.

Kevin

there should be no bubble worry next year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 09, 2016, 03:38:54 pm
No. Not a chance. Barford is the starting point guard. Period. End of story. SMH.

I see this seems to be a general consensus. It's been reported he was recruited as a PG and he may very well end up playing the point. But I watched some of his film and he wasn' the starting PG for his JUCO team, he played it sparingly when the original starter was out of the game. Now maybe I happened to watch games early in the season and as the season went on he assumed the role of the starting PG, or maybe it was a better fit to have him play off the ball to get the best 5 on the floor. Not sure which, but I will be curious to see who is the PG and how and when Barford assumes most of the ball handling responsibilities.

hogwood

Quote from: wavybone on May 10, 2016, 11:04:50 am
And it looks like we'll be adding Aaron Ross to it as well. If he does transfer here, here's what the line-up could look like.

1st Team:
Barford
Macon
Watkins
Ross
Kingsley

2nd Team:
Beard
Hannahs
Thomas/Jones/Hazen
Cook/Bailey
Thompson

That roster would win a lot of games. I put Watkins as a starter and Hannahs on the 2nd team because Watkins would be the guy who does all the dirty work with the starters. I think Hannahs would anchor the 2nd team because he can score a lot, although I believe he could still play a lot of minutes.

I also know the Glasper kid is good but I don't think he'll be able to challenge Beard for minutes his freshman year.

Why are folks mentioning Ross again? Have there been any updates with him?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 10, 2016, 11:27:34 am
In these conversations, I think something to keep in mind is Barford's rep as a strong defender.  His size and athleticism along with it suggests we may finally have a complete guard as in one effective both offensively and defensively and Mike can make decisions from there as far as who to play with him.  ie not as necessary to compensate by having to play Watkins with him for defense or Hannahs for offense.  We may finally have a situation where Mike can prioritize defense while not killing offensive production when you add in the type of 6-5 - 6-7 athletes coming along with Barford.  It just depends how quickly they pick up what they are asked to do defensively.  There is decision making involve in it that can take time as we have seen.  The roster certainly seems to offer more versatility as far as combinations. 

I expect as usual the non conf schedule rotations will differ from the conference rotations.  It is going to interesting to see the conditioning of the newcomers and how they will hold up late in the season.  Our 2014-15 team looked tired especially Portis and Beard in the last weeks of the season and post season.

I think it is safe to assume Barford and Moses will lead the team in minutes with close to 30 mpg perhaps.  That is a great start for players able to play effectively on both ends which is already an improvement.  The combinations with them may vary for a while. 

Last season's minutes:
Game Statistics
Player GP MIN 
Dusty Hannahs 32 27.1
Moses Kingsley 32 29.5
Anthlon Bell 32 28.7
Anton Beard 23 20.9
Jabril Durham 32 27.8
Jimmy Whitt 32 17.2
Manuale Watkins 32 19.7
Trey Thompson 29 17.3
Lorenzo Jenkins 1 7.0
Keaton Miles 32 15.0
Willy Kouassi 31 8.2
Jake Mosiman 1 1.0
Very good post, and I almost made a thread about that very topic. Two way players have been scarce here, not only during MA's tenure, but the last 20 years. I'm glad Barford is well rounded and we need tall guards like him to be a threat with the full court defense. MA knows we need two way players, but his lack of recruiting success has forced him to take one dimensional players and hope for the best.
Any idea if any of the other incoming players can play sufficiently at both ends of the floor or are likely to develop it?

hobhog

Sure is a lot of confidence in these JC guys. Sure hope all you talent scouts are right.....

razorhead94

Quote from: hobhog on May 10, 2016, 07:44:38 pm
Sure is a lot of confidence in these JC guys. Sure hope all you talent scouts are right.....

You're not All-American and Player of the Year for no reason
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

jry04

We did not give these JUCOs 4* rankings. The "talent scouts" did.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Foshodo

1> Barford
2> Hannahs
3> Hazen
4> Cook
5> Moses

Beard
Macon
Bailey
Thomas
Thompson

i'd worry about defense with the second unit but to be honest i dont know what to expect defense wise from the entire group... so?

nwahogfan1

May 11, 2016, 06:11:46 am #62 Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:22:07 am by nwahogfan1
Quote from: redleg on May 09, 2016, 11:58:23 am
So here is next season's roster. Who will start? Will CMA go with a three guard lineup? I think so.

Guards -
sr. Dusty Hannahs 6'3" 205 lbs.
sr. Manny Watkins 6'3" 210 lbs.
jr. Anton Beard 6'0" 195 lbs.
jr. Jaylen Barford 6'5" 200 lbs.
jr. Willie Macon 6'4" 185 lbs.
fr. CJ Jones 6'5" 180 lbs.
Forwards -
jr. Trey Thompson 6'9" 260 lbs.
jr. Dustin Thomas 6'7" 225 lbs.
jr. Arlando Cook 6'9" 215 lbs.
fr. Adrio Bailey 6'7" 210 lbs.
fr. Brachen Hazen 6'8" 190 lbs.
Centers -
sr. Moses Kingsley 6'10" 235 lbs.

I see Beard, Barford, Hannahs, & Kingsley as four of the five starters...the fifth is a toss up between Thompson, Cook, and Thomas.
:razorback:
Thoughts?

Love the experience from our junior senior dominant line up which usually leads to having a pretty good season.  Good scoring/leadership returning but I wish we had one more inside scorer to go with Moses.   

Question marks to me are:  Does Beard continue to improve his game?  Does Trey give us more inside scoring plus improve his 15 foot jumper to keep defense guessing?  What do new comers Thomas, Cook and Barford give us?     Will Barford give us 10+ PPG and a true scoring G/F????

I am expecting us to have a very good year.  We should be making a run at the SECC and a sweet 16 appearance or at least I hope.

Kevin

put the best scorers on the floor and lets go
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawgwileywyatt

Quote from: Foshodo on May 11, 2016, 01:06:07 am
1> Barford
2> Hannahs
3> Hazen
4> Cook
5> Moses

Beard
Macon
Bailey
Thomas
Thompson

i'd worry about defense with the second unit but to be honest i dont know what to expect defense wise from the entire group... so?

I really like this lineup. It depends if Bailey and Hazen can surprise us and be nice contributors. If they can we will be much better for it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jry04 on May 10, 2016, 10:47:12 pm
We did not give these JUCOs 4* rankings. The "talent scouts" did.

Correct:
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/Commits

AWHAWG

rzrbackramsfan

Im just focusing on our four spot, I'm kind of thinking its Thomas, granted, I don't know much about either player but have heard that Thomas is tough.  I want a four that will set the tone down low and give Moses some room to operate.  Too many times last year I felt like Moses had to take on two guys by himself.

poloprince

Don't forget Dusty and Beast Mo
$PoLoPrInCe$

HoopS

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 14, 2016, 02:36:04 pm
Im just focusing on our four spot, I'm kind of thinking its Thomas, granted, I don't know much about either player but have heard that Thomas is tough.  I want a four that will set the tone down low and give Moses some room to operate.  Too many times last year I felt like Moses had to take on two guys by himself.
think MA referred to him as "mean" at some point. I will take some mean in the paint for sure. He's one I'm curious about though. Is he a wing or a 4?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HoopS on May 14, 2016, 07:03:00 pm
think MA referred to him as "mean" at some point. I will take some mean in the paint for sure. He's one I'm curious about though. Is he a wing or a 4?

Yea we need that.  I'm pretty sure he'll be a 4.  He's 6'7-6'8 and 225

http://247sports.com/Player/Dustin-Thomas-24116?Institution=21497

hawginbigd1

My opinion the original starting 5 will be:
Kingsley
Thompson
Watkins
Hannahs
Beard
Or Watkins is out and Barford is in. It will probably look different 10 games in.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 15, 2016, 12:00:16 am
My opinion the original starting 5 will be:
Kingsley
Thompson
Watkins
Hannahs
Beard
Or Watkins is out and Barford is in. It will probably look different 10 games in.

This would fit CMA's preference for starting experienced guys and bringing the new talent along slowly at first. Of course they may come off the bench 4 or 5 minutes into the game. If so, Barford and Macon will be first off the bench followed by Cook and Thomas. If we somehow end up with Ross, then I would say we slide him into the starting 5 in Watkins place.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Big Nasty 34

To begin the year I predict it will be:

Kingsley
Thomas
Watkins
Hannahs
Barford

A good mix of scoring and defense. Second unit should be solid, as well. I bet practices will be very competitive this year, would be fun to watch.