Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't act like nothing has happened

Started by Biggus Piggus, May 03, 2016, 10:33:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on May 05, 2016, 04:34:55 pm
I understand what you are saying. It's clear you don't understand what I'm saying so we will move on. I can't try to put it any clearer and I can't continue to read the same thing resposted in a much longer format.

Agreed.  I edited the post.  Moving fwd is supposed to be the spirit of this thread. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 05, 2016, 01:33:48 pm
MA's success here is worth debating but this perceived deference he gets is so overblown in you and Kevin's mind. No coach, at all, would've had MA's 5 years here and been fired. 4 years of improvement and 1 year of back sliding equals being fired, in a program that was in the dumps? This is exactly like all the people who said BA wouldn't start at QB for any coach but BB. That enters someone's head and then just keeps building, just like this MA deference you guys have dreamed up. 
Until it's blatant that MA needs to be fired and isn't fired, drop that non sense.

without the nostalgia cma has, any other coach would gave been fired, and should have been.

But we are suppose to be looking forward.

Should be in dance every year.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Deep Shoat

It's really pretty dang simple.

Considering Arkansas' history and the mediocre (at best) conference we play in, there is really NO excuse for not being a tourney team consistently*. 

* - Consistently means 3 out of every 4 years, as a minimum.  You don't see other "good" programs missing even that often.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Kevin on May 05, 2016, 06:26:06 pm

without the nostalgia cma has, any other coach would gave been fired, and should have been.

Indeed.  Annually making the tourney is hardly even a standard.  Start talking conference championships and laying the foundation for sustained success and MA's name would not even be in the discussion.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Kevin on May 05, 2016, 06:26:06 pm

Highly unlikely any coach with his resume would have been fired by now. Our program was in the dumps and he had us on the upswing until that disastrous off season, which he did not adjust to well at all while it was happening, granted.
But no, we would not have fired any other coach, either.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 05, 2016, 10:13:35 pm
Highly unlikely any coach with his resume would have been fired by now. Our program was in the dumps and he had us on the upswing until that disastrous off season, which he did not adjust to well at all while it was happening, granted.

You mean like Stan Heath?

majp51

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on May 05, 2016, 06:50:05 pm
Indeed.  Annually making the tourney is hardly even a standard.  Start talking conference championships and laying the foundation for sustained success and MA's name would not even be in the discussion.

OK, why is it that whenever AZhog, or Biggs, or others go ridiculously overboard one way on CMA, you and others have to prove their insulting depiction of those who disagree with them right?

UNC has missed the tourney in recent years. UCLA has had a tough go. It's not easy to make the tourney. 1 out of 5 is a disaster, but 5 out  of 5 is completely unrealistic.

Here is the thing. Recruiting was better this year, the one concern being that JUCO's are the ultimate Russian roulette. But even though this recruiting class could easily blow up because of it's composition, it was still a definite improvement over every recruiting season since the one that included Bobby Portis and Moses Kingsley. And here is the thing, it might not blow up. I remember the 1996 Mississippi State team that made the final four, all because of a JC player who meshed in year one.

And yes, "firing" a proven coach with long ties to the HC, only to hire a color commentator with long ties to the HC, may also be a disaster, but it might not and it was some change. So CMA didn't go out of his comfort zone, he still made a change, and isn't it better to be at least cautiously optimistic?

And maybe that is all AZhog and Biggs are really just trying to point out. That changes were made and improvement in the offseason has happened so far, and let's just try and be optimistic.

I originally thought they went overboard, and honestly they both lack any sense of diplomacy  or polish, but my goodness reading stuff from people like you makes me understand why they tend to go over the top.

porkinsons disease

after all the hyperbole...the bottom line is this. We have made the tournament once in 5 years. You have to decide if that is acceptable.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

ShadowHawg

Quote from: porkinsons disease on May 05, 2016, 10:33:09 pm
after all the hyperbole...the bottom line is this. We have made the tournament once in 5 years. You have to decide if that is acceptable.

I will answer. Making the tournament once in 5 years is not acceptable. It's also not an automatic fireable offense either. It depends on the context surrounding those five seasons.

I think MA's seat is very hot going into this season, and it should be. However, there are some things going on right now that point to brighter days ahead. It gives me hope.

Thing is, we can spend our time complaining about the past, which is the same as living in it, or we can move on, hope for the best and watch the chips fall as they may.

Right now, if Kingsley comes back, this will be the deepest roster MA has had since coming here. In his personal coaching history, he has never under achieved and completely missed the tournament when he has had the talent. In that regard, the chances are really pretty good that we will see the program take a step forward this season.

Add to that the improvements in recruiting and the in state crops that are coming up and you can't help but believe that even if MA were to be let go, the guy coming in behind him will find a much healthier program than the one MA walked into.

I think we are in a situation right now as Hog fans where we are as close to a win/win in basketball as we have had in a long time. MA will get it done or be gone. Either way, the program is going to move forward from here on out.

hamARchy in the USA

May 06, 2016, 08:30:29 am #109 Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 09:02:06 am by hamARchy in the USA
Quote from: majp51 on May 05, 2016, 10:25:15 pm

OK, why is it that whenever AZhog, or Biggs, or others go ridiculously overboard one way on CMA, you and others have to prove their insulting depiction of those who disagree with them right?

UNC has missed the tourney in recent years. UCLA has had a tough go. It's not easy to make the tourney. 1 out of 5 is a disaster, but 5 out  of 5 is completely unrealistic.

Here is the thing. Recruiting was better this year, the one concern being that JUCO's are the ultimate Russian roulette. But even though this recruiting class could easily blow up because of it's composition, it was still a definite improvement over every recruiting season since the one that included Bobby Portis and Moses Kingsley. And here is the thing, it might not blow up. I remember the 1996 Mississippi State team that made the final four, all because of a JC player who meshed in year one.

And yes, "firing" a proven coach with long ties to the HC, only to hire a color commentator with long ties to the HC, may also be a disaster, but it might not and it was some change. So CMA didn't go out of his comfort zone, he still made a change, and isn't it better to be at least cautiously optimistic?

And maybe that is all AZhog and Biggs are really just trying to point out. That changes were made and improvement in the offseason has happened so far, and let's just try and be optimistic.

I originally thought they went overboard, and honestly they both lack any sense of diplomacy  or polish, but my goodness reading stuff from people like you makes me understand why they tend to go over the top.

Occasionally missing the tourney is one thing.  Occasionally making it is another.  The difference in programs is leadership and the quality of the leadership ultimately is determined by expectations.  Since MA was hired there has been an incessant effort to ratchet down expectations.  A few of us who post here will have no part of that.

Most of the fan base have been right about the situation from the start as the attendance problems have illustrated.  If you and others can't face facts then that's your problem.   The program is going to remain in the dumps until a change is made, notwithstanding an occasional outlier year.

HoopS

I think that we should certainly expect more than 1/5 years in the tournament. What I believe is that ratio is about the trend the right way and 1/5 will become 2/6 or 1/3 and from there I think we see it continue to improve. If it doesn't, let's move on. But to move on right now, as some suggest would happen if our coach was anyone but MA, would be getting right to where we look headed in the right way and then moving on and starting over again because the trip to this point was just too difficult. Which is ridiculous. Either we start making it or we move on. Why not support your team and its coach and hope for the best.

Biggus Piggus

Definitely expect better than we have gotten + believe we have good reason to expect better soon. If it doesn't happen again, then we're having a different conversation.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 06, 2016, 06:59:08 am
I will answer. Making the tournament once in 5 years is not acceptable. It's also not an automatic fireable offense either. It depends on the context surrounding those five seasons.

I think MA's seat is very hot going into this season, and it should be. However, there are some things going on right now that point to brighter days ahead. It gives me hope.

Thing is, we can spend our time complaining about the past, which is the same as living in it, or we can move on, hope for the best and watch the chips fall as they may.

Right now, if Kingsley comes back, this will be the deepest roster MA has had since coming here. In his personal coaching history, he has never under achieved and completely missed the tournament when he has had the talent. In that regard, the chances are really pretty good that we will see the program take a step forward this season.

Add to that the improvements in recruiting and the in state crops that are coming up and you can't help but believe that even if MA were to be let go, the guy coming in behind him will find a much healthier program than the one MA walked into.

I think we are in a situation right now as Hog fans where we are as close to a win/win in basketball as we have had in a long time. MA will get it done or be gone. Either way, the program is going to move forward from here on out.

;D  Nice post war.  Couldn't have said it much better.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 06, 2016, 10:54:19 am
Definitely expect better than we have gotten + believe we have good reason to expect better soon. If it doesn't happen again, then we're having a different conversation.

Accurate summation. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GuvHog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 05, 2016, 10:13:35 pm

I respectfully disagree. The program had already started it's upswing before Mike was hired. The fact that Pel's last team won 18 games and he had the Top 10 ranked incoming Freshman class coming is evidence of that. Stan Heath left the program in a disastrous mess and it took Pel longer than expected to get the program started on an up swing.

For the record if Pel had gotten a 5th year and things didn't improve, I would've strongly supported his termination. As it is, I believe Jeff Long was pushed into jumping the gun a year early.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

gmarv

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 06, 2016, 10:54:19 am
I think this is where most hog fans are, at least this sums up how I feel.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: porkinsons disease on May 05, 2016, 10:33:09 pm
The bottom line is this. We have made the tournament once in 5 years. You have to decide if that is acceptable.
For a certain group, as long as Mike Anderson is the coach, it is plenty.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: gmarv on May 06, 2016, 05:53:12 pm
I think this is where most hog fans are, at least this sums up how I feel.
As do I. We're going to be deep and the talent level has been notably upgraded. No excuses (barring a rash of injuries) for CMA not making the dance next season. If he doesn't, I would support a change if it came to pass. Mike's a good man; I hope he gets it done.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

hamARchy in the USA

The same conversation will probably take place again next year even with improvement.

The team should be better but how much better is enough for an Arkansas coach in his sixth year ?   I expect the end result will be about where it needs to be in order to create the most disagreement.  :)

HoopS

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on May 06, 2016, 08:57:27 pm
The same conversation will probably take place again next year even with improvement.

The team should be better but how much better is enough for an Arkansas coach in his sixth year ?   I expect the end result will be about where it needs to be in order to create the most disagreement.  :)
that is close to a guarantee. We will not agree if he isn't fired, regardless of the results. Watch.

GuvHog

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on May 06, 2016, 08:37:26 pm
As do I. We're going to be deep and the talent level has been notably upgraded. No excuses (barring a rash of injuries) for CMA not making the dance next season. If he doesn't, I would support a change if it came to pass. Mike's a good man; I hope he gets it done.

:razorback:

I see no upgrade in big men. The Hogs will have 1 big man who is a good defensive player in the lane and 2 or 3 other moderately talented role playing Big men. That won't get it done. I'm afraid the Hogs are going to get abused in the lane next season.

HoopS

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2016, 09:56:51 am
I see no upgrade in big men. The Hogs will have 1 big man who is a good defensive player in the lane and 2 or 3 other moderately talented role playing Big men. That won't get it done. I'm afraid the Hogs are going to get abused in the lane next season.
so what's your take on Cook and Thomas?

RealHog

Quote from: HoopS on May 07, 2016, 10:12:22 am

I still wonder how much of a "big" Thomas will be. Sure he's 6-7 and 225 but I've heard he likes play wing mostly. I hope he has some "big man" mentality to him so we can use him like that. I can surely see him playing the 4 but more like in a Keaton Miles way, not a true PF.

GuvHog

Quote from: HoopS on May 07, 2016, 10:12:22 am

They'll have to adjust to playing on the D1 level so I don't expect much out of them this coming season. 6'7" isn't what I'd call a big man either.

HoopS

Quote from: RealHog on May 07, 2016, 11:15:43 am
I still wonder how much of a "big" Thomas will be. Sure he's 6-7 and 225 but I've heard he likes play wing mostly. I hope he has some "big man" mentality to him so we can use him like that. I can surely see him playing the 4 but more like in a Keaton Miles way, not a true PF.
I thought he was the one MA referred to as mean? If true, then I would guess he could get in their and battle. I also think he may be able to play the wing too. But I haven't seen enough of him to make an educated guess. Seems some others know more about him. Curious to hear legit takes on his game and Cook's.

HoopS

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2016, 11:22:16 am
They'll have to adjust to playing on the D1 level so I don't expect much out of them this coming season. 6'7" isn't what I'd call a big man either.
Thomas played at Colorado in a better conference than ours. He doesn't need to adjust.

We are replacing Miles and Kouassi. That's where I'm questioning the comparison. Upgrade there or no?

TheRazorback500

Quote from: HoopS on May 07, 2016, 11:28:33 am
Thomas played at Colorado in a better conference than ours. He doesn't need to adjust.

We are replacing Miles and Kouassi. That's where I'm questioning the comparison. Upgrade there or no?
To me it is. Cook and Thomas seem to be more skilled than Miles and Kouassi, and Bailey and Hazen could contribute. This and the natural progression of Kingsley's and Thompson's games should enable us to hold our own inside.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on May 05, 2016, 10:21:33 pm
You mean like Stan Heath?
Heath followed the best coach we've ever had, while MA followed the worst coach we've ever had. Not to mention, the lowest point in our program's history.

Long gave Pel plenty of opportunity (including keeping him after a 2-14 conference record), did we have nostalgia about him too? There's many things that are debatable about MA and where we are going as a team, but the stuff about any other coach being fired, is just complete nonsense.

HogBreath

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on May 07, 2016, 11:50:57 am
To me it is. Cook and Thomas seem to be more skilled than Miles and Kouassi, and Bailey and Hazen could contribute. This and the natural progression of Kingsley's and Thompson's games should enable us to hold our own inside.
Sounds like this Thomas guy is the real deal and will be a major addition..wonder what kind of numbers he put up out at Colorado?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HogBreath on May 07, 2016, 02:17:08 pm
Sounds like this Thomas guy is the real deal and will be a major addition..wonder what kind of numbers he put up out at Colorado?
He said "more skilled than Miles and Kouassi" which you tried to paint as him saying "the real deal and a major addition."
All just a way to bash Thomas and MA for bringing him in. Give it a rest.

HogBreath

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 07, 2016, 02:21:19 pm
He said "more skilled than Miles and Kouassi" which you tried to paint as him saying "the real deal and a major addition."
All just a way to bash Thomas and MA for bringing him in. Give it a rest.
Lol..those numbers pretty well stink don't they?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

poloprince

Recruiting is definitely on an upswing and I think MA can do some nice things if he can just secure the instate talent alone.
$PoLoPrInCe$

WilsonHog

Quote from: HogBreath on May 07, 2016, 05:05:06 pm
Lol..those numbers pretty well stink don't they?

Nice job bashing a Razorback player.

rzrbackramsfan

My thing on everybody expecting so much more is that, why aren't we thankful it's not so much worse?  We could easily have had the success of msu, Tennessee, auburn etc... Of you combine all the years since mikes been here and give a certain amount of points for different things like beating top 5 opponents, w-l, players drafted in the first round, w-l, tourney wins, sc top tens (you know that was tight being on those so often) then I bet the only teams we would be behind in mikes first five years is uk, Florida, and maybe vandy.

If 1 for 5 in the tournament in the is a disaster, who in the sec isn't a disaster?

ArkansasI

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 08, 2016, 01:38:40 am
My thing on everybody expecting so much more is that, why aren't we thankful it's not so much worse?  We could easily have had the success of msu, Tennessee, auburn etc... Of you combine all the years since mikes been here and give a certain amount of points for different things like beating top 5 opponents, w-l, players drafted in the first round, w-l, tourney wins, sc top tens (you know that was tight being on those so often) then I bet the only teams we would be behind in mikes first five years is uk, Florida, and maybe vandy.

If 1 for 5 in the tournament in the is a disaster, who in the sec isn't a disaster?
Interesting perspective. When Mike was at Mizzou, the Big 12 was a competitive conference. Still is.

Did that make Mizzou a more or less attractive job?  At Arkansas, there is one team everyone points to. A couple of good players can be very impactful.

Hopefully, this class will be as successful as everyone wants.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: poloprince on May 07, 2016, 07:21:33 pm
Recruiting is definitely on an upswing and I think MA can do some nice things if he can just secure the instate talent alone.

Mike missed on 5 instate recruits this year who all signed with Division 1 schools.  4 signed with Power 5 schools and one with Wichita St.  I think I like our signees this year and agree that Mike has to start signing the kids he needs in Arkansas but this year sure wasnt good to him.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: poloprince on May 07, 2016, 07:21:33 pm
I wouldn't say recruiting is on the upswing. It's been about the same. Bringing in junior college guys, transfers and role players. Still hasn't been able to get the blue chip in state Arkansas kids like KeVaughn Allen, Malik Monk and Eric Curry. Securing in state talent is the issue under Michael Anderson.

poloprince

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 08, 2016, 02:42:20 pm
Mike missed on 5 instate recruits this year who all signed with Division 1 schools.  4 signed with Power 5 schools and one with Wichita St.  I think I like our signees this year and agree that Mike has to start signing the kids he needs in Arkansas but this year sure wasnt good to him.

You can't sign them all man, but I get your drift. I'm not worried about losing kids to the likes of Minn and Vandy etc.
$PoLoPrInCe$

poloprince

Quote from: Captain Morgan on May 08, 2016, 03:02:29 pm
I wouldn't say recruiting is on the upswing. It's been about the same. Bringing in junior college guys, transfers and role players. Still hasn't been able to get the blue chip in state Arkansas kids like KeVaughn Allen, Malik Monk and Eric Curry. Securing in state talent is the issue under Michael Anderson.

We obviously see things differently, I only see one blue chip prospect out of the players you listed. I'm speaking on the present and future, not the past.
$PoLoPrInCe$

The Hogfather

Quote from: poloprince on May 08, 2016, 04:47:41 pm
We obviously see things differently, I only see one blue chip prospect out of the players you listed. I'm speaking on the present and future, not the past.

Malik Monk is the only blue chipper in that list, fo sho.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Captain Morgan on May 08, 2016, 03:02:29 pm

Look in the next two classes as well.  2 4 stars in 2017 and one possibly 5 star for 2018.

hogsanity

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 09, 2016, 12:22:19 am
Look in the next two classes as well.  2 4 stars in 2017 and one possibly 5 star for 2018.

now we have to start keeping a coach around because of a player commitment for a player who won't see the floor for 3 seasons? Is that going to be the new game to keep Mike

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 08, 2016, 01:38:40 am

That is the point though, in a pathetic SEC, where it should be easy to win enough games to make the NCAAT, by just being a good team, the Hogs have made it once in 5 seasons.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GuvHog

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 07, 2016, 01:36:02 pm
Heath followed the best coach we've ever had, while MA followed the worst coach we've ever had. Not to mention, the lowest point in our program's history.

Long gave Pel plenty of opportunity (including keeping him after a 2-14 conference record), did we have nostalgia about him too? There's many things that are debatable about MA and where we are going as a team, but the stuff about any other coach being fired, is just complete nonsense.

I disagree and you are wrong about Pel having plenty of opportunity. Compared to the opportunity Mike is getting at Arkansas, Pel got very little.

majp51

Quote from: GuvHog on May 09, 2016, 08:44:48 am
I disagree and you are wrong about Pel having plenty of opportunity. Compared to the opportunity Mike is getting at Arkansas, Pel got very little.

From a purely analytical viewpoint (i.e., accounting for schedule strength , conference strength , and other things) Years 1,2,3, and 5 of the CMA campaign all fall within the same statistical trend that John Pelphrey appeared to establish in his last season. That is not to say that Pelphrey would have improved upon his final season, but the numbers don't lie, and they are comparative. Presuming that Pelphrey had reached his apex at year 4, CMA has been exactly like him for 4 of his 5 years.

That implies that either Pelphrey got a raw deal, or that CMA is a mediocre coach. For the sake of the Razorback program I really hope that Pelphrey got a raw deal because CMA became available, and not that CMA is a mediocre coach.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on May 09, 2016, 08:44:48 am

John Pelphrey

Conference Record

9-7
2-14
7-9
7-9

1 season with a winning conference record is not going to get it. Pel did all he could and it was time for him to go. Mike has the program trending in the right direction.

Mike Anderson

6-10
10-8
10-8
13-5
9-9

HoopS

Not even close to the same. I liked Pel but Anderson has done a better job here. And he's about to add to that disparity.

majp51

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 11, 2016, 03:11:26 pm
John Pelphrey

Conference Record

9-7
2-14
7-9
7-9

1 season with a winning conference record is not going to get it. Pel did all he could and it was time for him to go. Mike has the program trending in the right direction.

Mike Anderson

6-10
10-8
10-8
13-5
9-9

You are getting caught up in the 2-14 silliness. If you remove 2-14 and remove 13-5

you get

9-7
7-9
7-9
6-10
10-8
10-8
9-9

All of those numbers fall with the same margin of error when doing any kind of normalized projections. This is especially true when you consider that during those 7-9 seasons for Pel the conference was Stronger overall.

This isn't a ding on CMA necessarily, unless you maintain that Pelphrey was one of the worst coaches.

But it also means that our record might look all that much different having had 5 more years of Pelphrey versus the first 5 of CMA. Of course it's also possible that Pel's 2-14 season was more reflective of his overall ability and one more year would have left us firing him and left with a coach of lesser quality than CMA, we don't know. But if you look at the actual analysis, the True outcome of each coach so far has been the same.
Optimistically I prefer to see this as proof that CJP likely would have done well given enough time, but given the availability of CMA and the ties CMA had to the program was let go early on purpose.

majp51

Quote from: HoopS on May 11, 2016, 03:45:19 pm
Not even close to the same. I liked Pel but Anderson has done a better job here. And he's about to add to that disparity.

Hoops , CMA has put better lipstick on the pig , to borrow an old saw, but in 5 years he has 1 NCAA appearance and 1 NIT. So in order to have "Done a better Job" he would have had to have done more than Pel, except that Pel went to 1 NCAA appearance and also received an NIT invite (which the University turned down)

So in terms of final outcome they have the exact same record. The fact of the matter is a finished record of 10-8 is not meaningfully different that 7-9 unless all 9 losses in that 7-9 were blowouts. Now if CMA's normal record was 12-6, as opposed to 10-8 then not only would their be no statistical comparison, it would also be moot cause final outcome would point to the Razorbacks most likely having made the tournament 3 out of 5 years.

azhog10

Quote from: majp51 on May 11, 2016, 03:47:19 pm

You are getting caught up in the 2-14 silliness. If you remove 2-14 and remove 13-5

you get

9-7
7-9
7-9
6-10
10-8
10-8
9-9

All of those numbers fall with the same margin of error when doing any kind of normalized projections. This is especially true when you consider that during those 7-9 seasons for Pel the conference was Stronger overall.

This isn't a ding on CMA necessarily, unless you maintain that Pelphrey was one of the worst coaches.

But it also means that our record might look all that much different having had 5 more years of Pelphrey versus the first 5 of CMA. Of course it's also possible that Pel's 2-14 season was more reflective of his overall ability and one more year would have left us firing him and left with a coach of lesser quality than CMA, we don't know. But if you look at the actual analysis, the True outcome of each coach so far has been the same.
Optimistically I prefer to see this as proof that CJP likely would have done well given enough time, but given the availability of CMA and the ties CMA had to the program was let go early on purpose.
So when comparing two coaches body of work you take out one coaches worst season, and then take out another coaches best season and that's a realistic comparison? If you want to exclude Pel's 2-14, then take out CMA's 6-10 and then compare. They won't have the same record at all.......I mean in what world does what you did make sense?

PonderinHog

Quote from: azhog10 on May 11, 2016, 04:27:09 pm
So when comparing two coaches body of work you take out one coaches worst season, and then take out another coaches best season and that's a realistic comparison? If you want to exclude Pel's 2-14, then take out CMA's 6-10 and then compare. They won't have the same record at all.......I mean in what world does what you did make sense?
Figures don't lie, but liars sure do figure.

Atlhogfan1

The fact Pel's record is brought into the conversation is a sign of how things haven't gone as well as expected.

Pelphrey wasn't qualified for a job like Arkansas when he got it (due to our horribly led coaching change).  He may never be.  Add on the circumstances behind the scene and rebuilding job he was going to have to do with the roster in season 2 and he certainly wasn't qualified or ready.  His biggest issue as coach wasn't necessarily X's and O's.  We never really got a chance to see what he would do from that standpoint.  It was team building, discipline and chemistry.  He took some risks he shouldn't have understanding he wasn't going to be allowed to rebuild slowly in terms of fan support.  Then he couldn't handle those risks once he got the players. 

Had he been given the 5th season, I doubt his end results would have been drastically different from Anderson's first season.  Season 2 with Anderson brought Coty who was a key role player in how competitive we were.  Season 3, Harris and Portis.  Not out of the question to believe Pel would have had them on his roster too to go along with Madden.  How well he would have done would have depended on who else would have been on the team and if he could have maintained discipline with players like Harris and Madden.  Qualls would have been elsewhere probably.  Mike was able to or decided to keep Harris and Qualls playing and didn't destroy team chemistry or discipline by doing so.  Doubt Pel would have won 27 games but success with Portis wouldn't have been a stretch to imagine against the schedule we played.  Then we get into the real unknown.  What direction would we have gone after Portis?  Mike's legend of strong discipline took a real hit after the '15 season and the doubts grew in regards to his roster building at Arkansas.  His last Mizzou's team chemistry was off too. 

All this to say, I think it says more of what Mike hasn't accomplished and what has happened as it does anyone saying Pel is on his level as a coach or we would have been just as well off if he had remained coach.  Doubt the end success would have been much different over the last 4-5 seasons with Pel or any number of other coaches. 

I don't think Pel deserved a 5th season.  Change had to be made even if you don't factor the Anderson Anchor at Mizzou.  He was in over his head as the leader of the program from the beginning especially in a time when rebuilding was necessary.  Mike has of course proven he can build a successful roster.  This isn't even a conversation.  We upgraded when we made the coaching change.   We are better off for having made it. I think the conversation is now it is time for him to show why and how much of an upgrade.