Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Basketball Player ever in Arkansas High School?

Started by BumpieJohnson, January 09, 2007, 04:29:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigE_23

Quote from: hawkhawg on November 21, 2011, 09:27:26 pm
Are you sure?  I'm pretty sure all are from the class of 92.
I've been wrong once or twice...I was only 11 at the time.  ;)

Qbackinman

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on October 31, 2011, 10:17:13 am
Gatorade National player of the year...Corliss Williamson

End of discussion.

So was Mitch Mustain in football.

Qbackinman

G - Dexter Reed.
G - Bennie Fuller.
C - Michael Cage.
F - Keith Lee.
F - Corliss Williamson.

Now I'll play anyone else's 5.

#1 STUNNA

james anderson is the best i have ever seen in person

beasley

Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
Vince Lombardi

Jackrabbit Hog

Have to throw the following names into the discussion:

Ron Brewer (Sr.)
Marvin Delph
Ricky Norton
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: galactivation on November 02, 2011, 03:10:28 am
Michael would've been the best Small Forward to ever play at Arkansas. It's a shame Pelphrey put so much weight on him & made him play the post. The kid's jumpshot & baseline game is as smooth as a baby laxative

Michael Jordan?  Michael Phelps?  Who is this strange Michael you speak of that was here during Pelphrey's tenure?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Gor-Gor

Quote from: Qbackinman on November 22, 2011, 11:35:05 am
So was Mitch Mustain in football.
Dude, the question is who is the best HS BBall player from the state. Not who had the best career in basketball. Mustain deserved his POY award. He was a beast when it came to HIGH SCHOOL football.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: arkrazfan on January 09, 2007, 06:54:34 pm
Anyone on hear ever see Bennie Fuller play from 1968-1971? Just wondering, he owns a bunch of records in the state record book. Houston Nutt Sr. coached him and I have heard Houston talk about how good he was before.

Good high school player. He scored a bunch of points in high school, mainly because his school played in a very low classification. When he played in the Arkansas High School All-Star game, the players from bigger schools quickly figured out that he could only go to his right.

tee1up2par

Quote from: aristotle on January 10, 2007, 08:35:59 am
I don't know who you are talking about, but Jamie Shepman (it's spelled differently, I know) was SICK.  She played at Van Cove and then went to Louisiana Tech.  She then transferred to OBU where she beat most of the men's team. 

You guys should have seen her crossing over some of the football players in intramurals.  I laughed until I cried.

Wendy Scholtens ( not shortens ) was an all-american at Southside FS. She went on to be an all-american at Vanderbilt. Definitely one of the best basketball players to come out of Arkansas. Had there been a WNBA and she so desired, she would have been a top pick. She dominated.

Better known as Big Bird.  Great Player.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

jseinfeld50

Quote from: Qbackinman on November 22, 2011, 11:39:20 am
G - Dexter Reed.
G - Bennie Fuller.
C - Michael Cage.
F - Keith Lee.
F - Corliss Williamson.

Now I'll play anyone else's 5.

Sorry to drudge up an old thread but I found this very interesting and informative.

I agree the above poster with 1,3,4, and 5. I would replace Bennie Fuller with Eddie Miles (NLR Scipio A. Jones High in the late 50's). He was a great all around player and his HS coach defensively demanding. Scipio played many of the top ranked teams in the country during his time which were usually in the South (MS, Nashville TN, LA, FL, Atlanta, etc).

I would have Willie Cutts as 6th man since this is best in HS. Bennie Fuller had the scoring stats but he could be limited or stopped by cutting him off and forcing him to go to his left. Also Fuller's competition was questionable.

PORKULATOR

T
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on January 09, 2007, 05:27:47 pm
Corliss Williamson

rated the #1 player in the country
this

I lived in Atkins then and it was fun playing ball at the Dam or The Hughes center and him playing all day. Every game. He lifted your game in pick up games so you can imagine how he raised up the level of the D-1 talent around him.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

cypert2

I've seen a lot of hs bb. Keith Lee was the best by far.
Swinging on the two and the four.

MedicHog

Probably nobody here has ever heard of him but a guy named Tim Porter in the late 70s was as talented as any player who ever stepped on a basketball court in Arkansas.  He graduated high school in 1977 and was offered a scholarship at UofA by Eddie Sutton.  Tim had issues and the scholarship was pulled.  He was 6'2" and had a 42 inch vertical jump and could shoot lights out. It's really a shame that he had too many "demons" during his late teens or he could have played college basketball anywhere he pleased.

HSVhogfan2

Didn't read the whole thread, but as far as HS player and not how he did in college, Bennie Fuller. Played in the late 60s for AR school for the deaf. Averaged like 45 a game with no three point line.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

MountieDawg

All Time Top 6 in no order

Joe Johnson
Malik Monk
Sydney Moncrief
Keith Lee
Michael Cage
Corliss Williams
SEC!

MountieDawg

Quote from: mhuff on November 06, 2011, 06:58:10 pm
Don't forget a kid named Price that played on that WM team as well. I believe he went to Memphis State as well.

Best player was Sidney. He was a tenacious defender and rebounder at all levels of competition.

The West Memphis Team that went 60 and 0 had:
Keith Lee  All American at Memphis State and made it to an NCAA Championship

Micheal Cage - Played 15 years in the NBA and lead the league in rebounding

Aaron Price - Started at Memphis State with Keith Lee and played in NCAA championship game

Tim Harrell - A 4 time NAIA All American

A total of 9 players got basketball scholarships off the team
SEC!

labb

michaels

ron brewer
corliss
joe johnson
sidney
marvin

marcus monk, i always thought was a better basketball player
& matt jones was no slouch

Tripod1

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 09, 2007, 05:31:29 pm
Corliss Williamson

I am certain Jason Kidd was rated ahead of Corliss. Kidd's team (from the Bay Area in Cali) won the King Cotton tournament that year and beat Corliss, too.

Jason Kidd was rated #1 player but you are wrong about his team winning the King Cotton.  Russellville won and the final play of the game was a blocked shot of Kidd's by Williamson. Put it into press row along courtside.  I know this because I was one of the officials calling that game.  Best high school game of my career. BTW, they were both juniors that year.

HSHS1974

Was in high school in the 1970's, so this is from the way-back machine. We played against Delph, Brewer, and Moncrief and they were all out of this world (at U of A, too, of course). But to this day, I tell people that the best player I ever saw on a court was Chris Bennett from LR Catholic. I am sure I am totally biased because he personally ran us off the court like we were third graders. And he may not have thrived in college even if he did not injure his knee. But boy, was he a remarkable player on the three occasions he played against us.

hoglady

Quote from: Mister_BS on January 09, 2007, 05:37:55 pm
Don Kessinger deserves a shout ... played hoops and baseball at Ole Miss and was an All-Star shortstop with the Cubs. Forrest City flash was supposedly a great hoopster

better players than many mentioned so far are richard scott and nicky bradford (both played at Kansas), Caldwell Jones (76ers) and his two brothers, Quincy Lewis (led the Big Ten in scoring at Minnesota) ... ok, my brain is tired

Is that the same guy who had the racketball club off Shackleford back in the early 80's?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HoopS

Quote from: Tripod1 on February 03, 2015, 02:00:47 pm
Jason Kidd was rated #1 player but you are wrong about his team winning the King Cotton.  Russellville won and the final play of the game was a blocked shot of Kidd's by Williamson. Put it into press row along courtside.  I know this because I was one of the officials calling that game.  Best high school game of my career. BTW, they were both juniors that year.
and I was in the stands not far away from that block.

MountieDawg

Mark McEntire Walnut Ridge.... He was like Jimmy Chitwood of Hoosiers fame.
SEC!

hogwild6700

Jason McDonald from Saratoga. Saratoga had some serious ballers in the early-mid 90's.

IMO McDonald is like the basketball version of Basil Shabazz. A BIG "What IF".
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

TNhogfan

Quote from: MedicHog on February 02, 2015, 03:56:37 pm
Probably nobody here has ever heard of him but a guy named Tim Porter in the late 70s was as talented as any player who ever stepped on a basketball court in Arkansas.  He graduated high school in 1977 and was offered a scholarship at UofA by Eddie Sutton.  Tim had issues and the scholarship was pulled.  He was 6'2" and had a 42 inch vertical jump and could shoot lights out. It's really a shame that he had too many "demons" during his late teens or he could have played college basketball anywhere he pleased.
Was he from NE Arkansas? I remember the name.  Sutton's teams had a number of really good AR players.

TNhogfan

Quote from: tee1up2par on March 30, 2012, 04:31:36 pm
Better known as Big Bird.  Great Player.
Do you remember her counterpart who played at Mount Saint Mary's?  They went against each other in the Overall final that KARK televised and she went on to play at Auburn, but I can't remember her name.  They were two really good tall girls.

TNhogfan

Quote from: labb on February 02, 2015, 05:44:10 pm
If we count girls===Lakyn Garrison of Wickes
Gail Buffington, Stephens
Gloria Glasgow, Blevins
Regina Grissom, Highland
Denae Jones, Harmony Grove, Camden

hogcam

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: murray-vegas on January 09, 2007, 04:35:38 pm
Michael Cage was a beast in HS, wasn't he?

Didn't he play with a guy named Lee?  Can't remember his first name.

MikePiazza

Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Rocket23

Quote from: wishyjoshy on January 10, 2007, 07:14:02 am
I don't know who you are talking about, but Jamie Shepman (it's spelled differently, I know) was SICK.  She played at Van Cove and then went to Louisiana Tech.  She then transferred to OBU where she beat most of the men's team. 

It was Wendy Sholtens from fort Smith Southside, 6-5 post player.  She three was three-time all-SEC and one, maybe two-time Kodak All-America.

You guys should have seen her crossing over some of the football players in intramurals.  I laughed until I cried.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MountieDawg on February 02, 2015, 05:42:35 pm
The West Memphis Team that went 60 and 0 had:
Keith Lee  All American at Memphis State and made it to an NCAA Championship

Micheal Cage - Played 15 years in the NBA and lead the league in rebounding

Aaron Price - Started at Memphis State with Keith Lee and played in NCAA championship game

Tim Harrell - A 4 time NAIA All American

A total of 9 players got basketball scholarships off the team

Sorry I missed this post and ask about Lee.  Yea I think that team may have been the best even if we didn't get any of them.

Talk about a darn shame!!!

Rocket23

Quote from: mhuff on November 06, 2011, 06:58:10 pm
Don't forget a kid named Price that played on that WM team as well. I believe he went to Memphis State as well.  AARON PRICE.  PLAYED FOR A BIT AT MSU.

Best player was Sidney. He was a tenacious defender and rebounder at all levels of competition.

Boarmonger

Corliss Williamson

I am certain Jason Kidd was rated ahead of Corliss. Kidd's team (from the Bay Area in Cali) won the King Cotton tournament that year and beat Corliss, too.

I don't think this is true.  I seem to remember Corliss blocking Kidd's last second shot attempt to win the game.

Boarmonger

Quote from: HSHS1974 on November 08, 2015, 08:19:55 pm
Was in high school in the 1970's, so this is from the way-back machine. We played against Delph, Brewer, and Moncrief and they were all out of this world (at U of A, too, of course). But to this day, I tell people that the best player I ever saw on a court was Chris Bennett from LR Catholic. I am sure I am totally biased because he personally ran us off the court like we were third graders. And he may not have thrived in college even if he did not injure his knee. But boy, was he a remarkable player on the three occasions he played against us.

Went to school with Chris and he was outstanding.  Was never the same after the knee injury his senior year.  I saw him make a behind the back down court pass in a dismantling of lR Central that still makes my jaw drop when I think about it.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: arkrazfan on January 09, 2007, 06:54:34 pm
Anyone on hear ever see Bennie Fuller play from 1968-1971? Just wondering, he owns a bunch of records in the state record book. Houston Nutt Sr. coached him and I have heard Houston talk about how good he was before.

Fuller played in the lowest Classification in Arkansas. He was tall, and could shoot, so he killed that level of competition.

A HS classmate of mine guarded Fuller in the HS all-star game. Figured out pretty quick that Fuller could only dribble with his right hand. My classmate started at PG for the freshmen Hogs in 71-72, same class as Medlock.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: aristotle on January 09, 2007, 04:36:29 pm

Yeah, that's old school. East side of Ark...W Memphis maybe?
yeah it was West Memphis back in the eighties. he and Keith Lee were unbelievable.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: Boarmonger on November 09, 2015, 03:41:06 pm
I don't think this is true.  I seem to remember Corliss blocking Kidd's last second shot attempt to win the game.
Correct Russellville won the KCC that year by one point and Corliss blocked Kidd's last second shot.

WMHawgfan

I know he didn't pan out at UofA but Ken Biley was a ridiculous HS player as well. Saw him play in the state tourney around 90 or 91 and though he was going to be a star.

FATHAWG08

November 09, 2015, 05:16:12 pm #390 Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:09:01 pm by FATHAWG08
1. Sidney  Moncrief- LR Hall
2. Ron Brewer- FS Northside
3. Marvin Delph- Conway
4. Corliss Williamson- Russellville
5. Joe Johnson- LR Central
5. Amber Lee FS Northside
6. Dexter Reed- LR Parkview
7. Chris Bennett LR CATHOLIC
8. Randy Curl - PB ZEBRAS
9. Keith Lee- West Memphis
10. Robert Griffin - LR Central
I love off season Football!!

SuperSid4Ever

chiefhawg

Houston Dale Nutt. One of the best high school point guards to play in Arkansas. He, Robert Griffin, Homer Couch and Robert Farrell were a team to watch in the 70s.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: chiefhawg on November 09, 2015, 06:54:58 pm
Houston Dale Nutt. One of the best high school point guards to play in Arkansas. He, Robert Griffin, Homer Couch and Robert Farrell were a team to watch in the 70s.

Archie Goodwin deserves consideration. Him and Sonny Weeks are now teammates

root_hawg

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: root_hawg on November 10, 2015, 08:59:16 am
Malik Monk ... who else? 8)

Big Nasty? Malik will probably have a better pro career but I seem to recall Corliss being more dominate  ;) in high school.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

jry04

Corliss Williamson

I am sure this has been addressed, but I wasn't going to go through all 8 pages to read. Russellville won that game, and Corliss won national player of the year. So you are wrong on both comments.

davidharwood

Donnie Watts of Harrison and Gary Parson from Huntsville, both played mid 1960's.
My name has been carved on the UA sidewalks a total of 3 times, and my daughter's twice, but when I stop getting chills from the Alma Mater and the opening of the Hog Pen gates, I'll know it's time to stay home by the fireplace and wait for the new John Sandford novel.

Big Nasty 34

I'm very nostalgic, but could any of these old timers really have a chance of slowing down Monk?