Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Joe Adams - McCluster

Started by want2be, September 19, 2010, 08:54:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

want2be

Joe is a great in space....One way to get our sluggish running game going would be to use Joe in a wildhog. He has experience in his past at QB and seems to be a good enough athlete to adapt.

Maybe this is a wrinkle that Petrino has considered but not used yet. I know his first year here he had Curtis in that set in practice, but never tried it in a game.

His yards after catch and punt returns have been electric at times. He just needs to stop the trash talk....His play speaks for itself.

orgkeith

One of the most improved players on the team.  Noticably physically stronger and faster.  I hope Wingo, Winston and some of the other youngsters on this team notice how much the weight room improved his game.

razorbass

Great job, that's all I can say.............WPS!!!

Rzback

Quote from: want2be on September 19, 2010, 08:54:47 am
Joe is a great in space....One way to get our sluggish running game going would be to use Joe in a wildhog. He has experience in his past at QB and seems to be a good enough athlete to adapt.

Maybe this is a wrinkle that Petrino has considered but not used yet. I know his first year here he had Curtis in that set in practice, but never tried it in a game.

His yards after catch and punt returns have been electric at times. He just needs to stop the trash talk....His play speaks for itself.
I like this idea. Yesterday I kept thinking "get the ball to Adams more". Did they have him covered up?
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Bad_Intentions

I agree. I just haven't been impressed with any of our running backs this season. DJ, we know, was capable of going off in big games. Well, he's gone now. Wingo pitter patters at the line and just doesn't look good to me right now. Maybe it's just me, but that's the way I see it. Green isn't going to break any runs to the house, but he did run tough yesterday. Still, we something more than that. I think Joe could be a possible answer. I've said for the last 2 seasons we've got to get the ball in his hands more. I love that he seems to be the most targeted WR now and that he's returning punts. Hey, ride the horses. And I think he's a thoroughbred.

Bottom line: More ways we get him the ball, the better off we'll be, IMO.
WPS!!

Beaverfever

I don't know what happened to Adams from last season to this season but wow.  He went from being maybe one the top 5 players on our team to being, in my opinion, the best player on our team.

jmingram911

I agree.  Use him like we did Felix Jones--coming across from the slot position and handing off to him.  He's almost at full speed when he gets the ball.  He needs to get the ball any way we can get it to him.

HOGPICKER

The fake reverse that UGA burned us with is a Joe Adams play for sure.  I bet we have a few tricks using Joe in the book.  You may have noticed CBP not favoring gimmicks.  That's one of many things I admire about his coaching.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

razorsharptusk

I think our backs our dangerous in open field.  Our running backs have trouble getting through initial contact at the line.  If they can fight through initial contact, and find open field, I know they can be explosive.  Joe usually catches the ball with space.  With that space, he is elusive.  So, how do you get running backs to drive through initial contact? 

Was listening to Ingram and Richardson in an interview the other day and and Richardson said that the first contact "will not take me down".  He prides himself in that.  That is a great mindset for a running back. 

GO HOGS!!

Poker_hog

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 19, 2010, 09:07:50 am
I don't know what happened to Adams from last season to this season but wow.  He went from being maybe one the top 5 players on our team to being, in my opinion, the best player on our team.

not so fast, maybe the best non-QB player on the team.  Several players have made huge improvements: Leon, adams, and where the heck was alfred davis last year?
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

jry04

Unless Petrino goes back on his word, he will not use the WildHog. He says it is gimmicky, and would never use it.

QuadHog

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 19, 2010, 09:07:50 am
Seems like he may have had a little medical condition last year???He is playing with a  confidence that started at the goal line during  last years LSU game.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Poker_hog on September 19, 2010, 09:16:21 am
not so fast, maybe the best non-QB player on the team.  Several players have made huge improvements: Leon, adams, and where the heck was alfred davis last year?
Never said other players hadn't improved, just that JA stands out the most.  And yes, I'd say Adams is the best player on this team, including mallett. 

phadedhawg

All Adams needs is a bit of daylight and he can make some things happen.  I think a screen pass is more than enough to give him a chance to make a play.

The Wild Hog/cat/whatever IS a gimic offense and no matter what it could potentially do for us it would involve taking Ryan Mallett out of a playmaking position.  We are worse as a team without Mallett at the QB position and that would offset any gain from putting Adams behind center. 

Aston Martin 8 dude

Ah, just remember though that despite the huge season all our WR's had last season NONE were considered good enough to be named to any of the first two All-SEC preseason teams. What a total farce!!!

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Joe Adams = Percy Harvin!  Joe is a very versatile player.  He was a great DB in high school as well as a receiver.  Good eyes, good instincts of both sides of the ball.  Create space and he'll get loose!

31to6

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on September 19, 2010, 10:27:53 am
Unless Petrino goes back on his word, he will not use the WildHog. He says it is gimmicky, and would never use it.
Wildcat takes snaps away from our Heisman QB. Think about how much better Mallett is compared to this time last season. Think about how much Casey improved with just one season under Petrino instead of splitting snaps with DMAC.

Don't get me wrong, I loved me some DMAC and it was a creative way to get all three of our stud RB's in the game, but it came at the cost of a regression in the abilities of the QB that is going to be taking 80-90% of the live snaps in the game.

arodobop

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: gguillo on September 19, 2010, 02:41:59 pm
Joe Adams = Percy Harvin!  Joe is a very versatile player.  He was a great DB in high school as well as a receiver.  Good eyes, good instincts of both sides of the ball.  Create space and he'll get loose!
Exactly.  I don't know why he's not compared more to him, but I think BP needs to take a page from Florida's playbook a couple of years ago, because he reminds me so much of him.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

razorback1975

Joe Adams= Jaw Adams...... At least he was this past Saturday. Its one thing to get fired up, but show some class, you're a much better player than that.

scorekeeper

It's football guys are being physical with each other. Talking is a part of the game.  To suggest that trash talk shouldn't be included is like telling the coach he shouldn't get pissed off and curse after a bad play and we know that happens. So it goes both ways if BP curses and gets fired up the team should be able to do the same.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: razorback1975 on September 19, 2010, 05:00:07 pm
Joe Adams= Jaw Adams...... At least he was this past Saturday. Its one thing to get fired up, but show some class, you're a much better player than that.
Georgia's defense was playing him very dirty, and that face mask was an attempt to seriously injure him.  The guy took a firm hold and just fell down.  Joe's lucky his neck wasn't broken.  That was the only one that got called, but there were late hits and a TON of jawing from Georgia, obviously out of frustration for getting completely OWNED.  I agree he has to keep his composure, but I understand why he was getting so pissed.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Pecos Hog

Joe Adams is an All American in my book.    He needs to get his hands on the ball.   

Oh, let's hush and let's not spoil the surprise for Bama.   

PoormansRobbyHampton

That's a good comparison. But I also see some Anquan Boldin as well. They run the same types of routes and tough, tough customers. When Joe got knocked out against LSU last year, as they carried him off I said he'd be back to make a play, and of course he did.

Q Boldin broke his face during a game against the Jets in 2008, people said he'd miss 4 or 5 games. I believe he missed one.

LM RZRBCK 29

We don't have to have a back that can break it for a td. All this offense needs is someone who can get 4-5 yards a pop and always fall forward. Broderick Green appears to me to be that guy. He ran hard Saturday when the others are hesitant to hit it up the middle.
Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

snoot hoggy hog

Pick your poison.

Bama will try to shut down Childs and Adams.  Cobi and Jarius are going to eat their lunch. Bet on it.

jgphillips3

When Joe was at CAC he did take snaps as a running back and he is tough as nails. I would love to see him get some Carries. He has outstanding vision and can cut on a dime. I would love to see him used from the backfield some ala Harvin or McCluster.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on September 19, 2010, 08:31:43 pm
Pick your poison.

Bama will try to shut down Childs and Adams.  Cobi and Jarius are going to eat their lunch. Bet on it.

DJ will have a very big day.   

LM RZRBCK 29

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on September 19, 2010, 08:31:43 pm
Pick your poison.

It is time for J Wright to make his appearance.
Quote from: NeverYield on April 15, 2011, 10:02:02 am
How do you know if you're done whiping?  Sniff the TP?

Quote from: OtterHog on April 15, 2011, 10:05:16 am
Its all about feel. It took years of training. Very rarely have I had to go back in for mop-up duty.

JONAS

Joe does remind me of Harvin.

Iwastherein1969

i think we forget Joe is a year removed from a stroke....I think he needs to be used, but not abused.....Joe's strength is his ability 'in space' on the field, not trying to 'create space 'where there is none by running straight blast plays through the teeth of the defense....the last person I want Joe Adams to meet on the field is Marcel Dareus.....Joe is too precious of a commodity
The long Grey line will never fail our country.