Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we need to sign at least one 6'8+ 240+lb big man

Started by nwahogfan1, May 18, 2016, 12:49:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

in this class or next years class? I am hoping for a late addition either a transfer or late signee. 

How many bigs do you guys think we need?  I think we need 3+ guys 6'8+ and 240+ who are good at playing inside.  Where is the beef. 

I love the long athletic G/F types who can score and defend but many games are won and lost down low.  Remember when Nolan had his glory years in the 90s he had several of these guys banging around down low.  We need them also.

Hawg Red

I think we do for next year's class. I don't see anyone in the prep ranks that would be a good scholarship get for 2016.

hogwood

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 18, 2016, 12:49:52 pm
in this class or next years class? I am hoping for a late addition either a transfer or late signee. 

How many bigs do you guys think we need?  I think we need 3+ guys 6'8+ and 240+ who are good at playing inside.  Where is the beef. 

I love the long athletic G/F types who can score and defend but many games are won and lost down low.  Remember when Nolan had his glory years in the 90s he had several of these guys banging around down low.  We need them also.

Not many college kids ( and especially HS recruits) weigh more than 220. Kapita was definitely an exception. Many thought he was the strongest in the 2015 class.

But I think we need 2 C's who are at least around 6'10". Then 3 more guys 6'8" or more. Get some long wings and quick, athletic guards and the Fastest 40 will turn back into 40 Minutes of Hell.

Ideally we could get another big this year. Then we could have C on the bench and maybe start Thompson and Kingsley together. That would be nice. But it looks unlikely. One in 2017 would give us good depth and provide experience the hopefully big laden 18 class comes in. Right now the only big I see us in the mix with is Lance Thomas. He is listed at 6'9". I think his 247 profile was just updated and he jumped almost 50 spots in the rankings to #139, approaching 4* territory.

GuvHog

Two very talented Big guys 6'10"+ and around 245 lbs would really be nice.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

nwahogfan1

I know he will never weigh 240+ lbs but does any one know why we are not actively recruiting Shittu???? He likes playing down low, is 215lbs now and could weigh close to 240 by his soph year.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 18, 2016, 05:27:58 pm
I know he will never weigh 240+ lbs but does any one know why we are not actively recruiting Shittu???? He likes playing down low, is 215lbs now and could weigh close to 240 by his soph year.

Have you actually seen him in person. No way will Shittu ever weigh 240 and remain effective. He has a very lean body type and is being misused in high school. The guy should be a 3/4 guy but is playing the center position on his hs team.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 18, 2016, 07:09:13 pm
Have you actually seen him in person. No way will Shittu ever weigh 240 and remain effective. He has a very lean body type and is being misused in high school. The guy should be a 3/4 guy but is playing the center position on his hs team.

I have seen him a couple times but not up close.   He is lean I admit.  Ok, maybe he will only get to 225lb.   But you are missing my point.  With Arkansas's need of getting points from 15 foot in could Shittu help the Hogs at the 4 position?  I thought he could but I also thought Mitchell from VB could but the coaches disagree.   Maybe I am wrong with Shittu also.

HawgHeadCheese

I don't think the big man in Basketball is as important as it once was. Although you do need a big man to protect the rim on defense, small lineups in college basketball are very normal. Vilanova just won the championship with a guy playing the PF position at 6'5". They also beat a much longer and more athletic UNC team. I think we're good if we keep two 6'9"-6'10" guys and two 6'7"-6'8" guys. The size at the guard and wing positions are a little more important IMO.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on May 19, 2016, 08:38:47 am
I don't think the big man in Basketball is as important as it once was. Although you do need a big man to protect the rim on defense, small lineups in college basketball are very normal. Vilanova just won the championship with a guy playing the PF position at 6'5". They also beat a much longer and more athletic UNC team. I think we're good if we keep two 6'9"-6'10" guys and two 6'7"-6'8" guys. The size at the guard and wing positions are a little more important IMO.

you are right in that physical height is not as important as how tall they play.  Nova played much taller than their physical height.  It is a physical mentality.  If we do recruit those type players then I totally agree with you.  Some 6'4 g/f will be your leading rebounders and love to score inside the paint while some will never get a inside rebound or want to score in the paint.  We will have to see what is coming in to be sure what type players they are but I would love to have a couple inside 6'8+ bangers who love to mix it up and know how to play the game.  If nothing else it makes the practices more physical.

poloprince

Nope, MA prefers to only play one big guy at a time. He was forced to play Trey out of position last season. Trey will back up more and then we will go with Trey and Gafford in 2017. Unless it's a highly rated big man out there that wants to play for MA, I'm sure he wouldn't deny him.
$PoLoPrInCe$

nwahogfan1

Quote from: poloprince on May 19, 2016, 09:42:20 am
Nope, MA prefers to only play one big guy at a time. He was forced to play Trey out of position last season. Trey will back up more and then we will go with Trey and Gafford in 2017. Unless it's a highly rated big man out there that wants to play for MA, I'm sure he wouldn't deny him.
So you think we can win the NCAAT or at least the SECT with out 3+ guys  in the 6'8 range who love to score, rebound and defend in the low post.  Nolan had 3+ big men when he won the NCAAT so why doesn't Mike need 3?    Just asking.

King Kong

May 20, 2016, 02:10:07 pm #11 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:30:02 pm by King Kong
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 19, 2016, 06:37:08 pm
So you think we can win the NCAAT or at least the SECT with out 3+ guys  in the 6'8 range who love to score, rebound and defend in the low post.  Nolan had 3+ big men when he won the NCAAT so why doesn't Mike need 3?    Just asking.

NCAAt no. SECt yes

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 18, 2016, 11:42:18 pm
I have seen him a couple times but not up close.   He is lean I admit.  Ok, maybe he will only get to 225lb.   But you are missing my point.  With Arkansas's need of getting points from 15 foot in could Shittu help the Hogs at the 4 position?  I thought he could but I also thought Mitchell from VB could but the coaches disagree.   Maybe I am wrong with Shittu also.

No way. Not at the collegiate level. He is too weak and has a very slender frame to live in or near the paint.

He is very athletic and actually has a nice outside shot. Not sure about his handles only because I haven't seen him have the opportunity to show them in the games I have seen.

farmhawg

Your passive aggressive negative crap is childish.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hogimus Prime

Nolan went to a Final Four with a 6'9" 250lbs and 6'9" 290lbs bigs on his team. Won a title with a team with 6'6" 255, 6'9" 270 and two 6'11" 260+ bigs. It all reall depends on match ups and which team forces their style of play.

Another big would be nice addition but I think MA and staff are trying to get more length on the perimeter with the 2017 class.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: farmhawg on May 21, 2016, 07:55:09 am
Your passive aggressive negative crap is childish.

I have to get it down to your level  farm HOG.  wooo piggeeeee

MemphisBossHog

you make a valid point here.  Corliss Williamson was 6-8 about 240 or so.  I do think we need some muscle.  We regularly get outrebounded by most everybody and teams like Ole Miss usually push us around under the glass as they usually have some guys that resemble 25-28 year old men on their team and our skinny kids are usually not much match for them down low. LOL.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on May 22, 2016, 08:50:54 pm
you make a valid point here.  Corliss Williamson was 6-8 about 240 or so.  I do think we need some muscle.  We regularly get outrebounded by most everybody and teams like Ole Miss usually push us around under the glass as they usually have some guys that resemble 25-28 year old men on their team and our skinny kids are usually not much match for them down low. LOL.
Corliss was not 6'8. I don't even think he was 6'8 in shoes
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

nwahogfan1

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on May 23, 2016, 07:16:52 pm
Corliss was not 6'8. I don't even think he was 6'8 in shoes

I agree with you that Corliss was not 6'8 but he played like he was 6'8.  We need more guys who can control the paint no matter their actual size.

FineAsSwine

I think the staff may want to stand pat and not use a scholly for a big man in 2017. We lose Kingsley next year but will still have Cook, Thompson, Gafford and Thomas.

In 2018 Gafford would be the only returning Big and that's when we sign and bring in Reginald Perry and Ethan Henderson, two highly rated bigs who could come in and get immediate playing time with Gafford. Sounds like a plan to me.

hawginbigd1

I wish he would take the kid from Lincoln at 6'8 or 9 who can shoot the bottom out of the bucket. Put some weight on him and make him a tweener 3/4. Not the most athletic kid, but has some handles. 6'8+ shooters never get old to me.

Jonteviosk

guys 247 sports still says Hogs are the favorite to get Connor Vanover.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Jonteviosk on May 25, 2016, 12:57:14 am
guys 247 sports still says Hogs are the favorite to get Connor Vanover.

Well, the Hogs aren't. Nor does it sound like they even want him.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 24, 2016, 04:15:05 pm
I wish he would take the kid from Lincoln at 6'8 or 9 who can shoot the bottom out of the bucket. Put some weight on him and make him a tweener 3/4. Not the most athletic kid, but has some handles. 6'8+ shooters never get old to me.

Wonder why this kid does not contact the UAFS coaches.  We would love to have a 6'8 shooter down here in Fort Smith.  Good school, close to home and he could get some real playing time.

daprospecta

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 25, 2016, 07:41:37 am
I doubt we wouldn't take him.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 25, 2016, 07:41:37 am

He has an offer right now.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 26, 2016, 07:33:46 am
He has an offer right now.

Few posters here saying it's just for show and there is a mutual understanding that he does not fit the style of play. Word is he favors Alabama at this point.

Hawg Red

FineAsSwine

Hawg Red

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 26, 2016, 12:34:35 pm
Few posters here saying it's just for show and there is a mutual understanding that he does not fit the style of play. Word is he favors Alabama at this point.

I seriously doubt that's true. After last season Mike can't afford to offer players just for show and he knows it. If Connor has an offer from Mike, there is no doubt in my mind that it's legit.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RazorAg

Quote from: GuvHog on May 28, 2016, 01:14:20 pm
I seriously doubt that's true. After last season Mike can't afford to offer players just for show and he knows it. If Connor has an offer from Mike, there is no doubt in my mind that it's legit.

There's no doubt in my mind that it's a conditional offer based on his development. I think most all of his offers are in that same form.

If you watch the kid play, there's no way you don't come away with that conclusion.

He's getting pushed to be a star, no doubt. His selection to the USA team. Him playing up on the 17U level in the EYBL. But, in both cases, he hasn't shown that he can compete at those levels.  Played sparingly for the USA team. Just got moved down to the 16U team in AAU.

Unless he greatly improves his mobility, strength and agility, he will likely need to land on a team that plays low pace, halfcourt basketball to be successful at the college level. Yes, he's young and has some time, but if you've ever watched kids his size and with the level of athleticism he has, it's reasonable to be skeptical.

rzrbackramsfan

I've never seen him play but his composite on 247 is 4* 72 best player, 247 has him as a 4* 31st best player, ESPN has him as a 5* 11th best player, scout 3*  :-\ , rivals 4 star 51st best player.

If he's a five star anywhere, he's good to be called a 5 star.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 29, 2016, 01:39:13 pm
I've never seen him play but his composite on 247 is 4* 72 best player, 247 has him as a 4* 31st best player, ESPN has him as a 5* 11th best player, scout 3*  :-\ , rivals 4 star 51st best player.

If he's a five star anywhere, he's good to be called a 5 star.

My b, razorag, you talked about Henderson in another thread.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 18, 2016, 01:08:41 pm
I think we do for next year's class. I don't see anyone in the prep ranks that would be a good scholarship get for 2016.

Average fans do not get a good list of prospects but coaches spend lots of money to get recruiting lists of recruits from all over the world.  These lists will have players who are 6'8+ who could play a hybrid low post/center position.  Some are ready to play while some would need a year or so to develop and probable a RS year to expand his skills.  We would have to do a great job of evaluating to uncover who could play the role we need to play for us.  They might need a RS year to develop their games because the ones who are ready to play will be highly recruited and most likely going to the top 25 school.  This just means we will have to search harder and do a better job of evaluating.  We can do it.  We must do it.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 01, 2016, 06:10:26 am
Average fans do not get a good list of prospects but coaches spend lots of money to get recruiting lists of recruits from all over the world.  These lists will have players who are 6'8+ who could play a hybrid low post/center position.  Some are ready to play while some would need a year or so to develop and probable a RS year to expand his skills.  We would have to do a great job of evaluating to uncover who could play the role we need to play for us.  They might need a RS year to develop their games because the ones who are ready to play will be highly recruited and most likely going to the top 25 school.  This just means we will have to search harder and do a better job of evaluating.  We can do it.  We must do it.

If you post about it long enough, they will come.