Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Raising Arkansas

Started by Cinco de Hogo, February 24, 2018, 08:37:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Fan from Camden

The image below is a prime example of what the OP is trying to illustrate.  My young homeboy Juney Atkins (big smile) is going to be a great athlete one day (notice his dad's height).  Time will tell if he will be D1 prospect, but for Coach Morris to already have made contact with him is amazing to me.  His father was a QB at Camden Fairview and runs 'Queen City Youth Sports Inc'.  This type of effort will pay off, Juney is 11 years old by the way and also plays QB, is a outstanding basketball player and student.  IMHO, this is what leaving no stone un-turned looks like to me!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on February 25, 2018, 04:15:38 pm
The image below is a prime example of what the OP is trying to illustrate.  My young homeboy Juney Atkins (big smile) is going to be a great athlete one day (notice his dad's height).  Time will tell if he will be D1 prospect, but for Coach Morris to already have made contact with him is amazing to me.  His father was a QB at Camden Fairview and runs 'Queen City Youth Sports Inc'.  This type of effort will pay off, Juney is 11 years old by the way and also plays QB, is a outstanding basketball player and student.  IMHO, this is what leaving no stone un-turned looks like to me!

Yes this is exactly the type of community type involvement i'm Talking about and if Arkansas is going to benifit then Arkansas needs to be involved too.  Cudos to CCM for being aware of the need to sell the Arkansas program to parents and kids even at this age.  When they turn 18 and Bama shows up in their living room I want them too already be solidly in the Razorback camp.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2018, 03:28:12 pm
I'm not as familiar with Arkansas HS Football as I am Oklahoma, but I have heard mentioned on here many times that part of the problem is not consolidating school districts. I don't know if that has a negative effect or not, but it seems like I have read that many times on here. Of course consolidation means some kids having to travel further to school than before (if some schools are closed) and a town losing their established identity as a school district, mascot identity, etc, but that might help channel funds to athletic programs and put more kids into a program where a greater competitive edge might be found.

Naturally, this is a political issue and some may be in favor while others certainly will not be in favor of the notion. But what else can be done? Maybe Arkansas based corporations can get together and split up communities that could be aided by their financial sponsorship? Maybe it already occurs? I'm not sure.

I hate consolidation for my own reasons but I don't see why that in some cases football can't be consolidated by county. In a lot of Arkansas counties you may have one city(usually the county seat)that s big enough to have a football team.  Maybe all the other schools could join together for football while keeping basketball, baseball and other sports separate.  I absolutely love the small school basketball in this state.  It's a great community event and means so much to those communities.  Please don't say your in favor of ruining that.  There are only 15 players on a basketball team of which only 6-7 play.  No matter how much you consolidate that number remains the same therefore knocking a large number of students out of the chance to play.  Baseball s about the same.  It's only football that benefits from consolidation, heck i'm Not even sure the run of the mill student really benifits.  I've alway said that an education is where you find it.

If Morris doesn't win in the next 3 years, ya'll are going to be making fun of him and saying he sucks.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Karma on February 25, 2018, 04:41:55 pm
If Morris doesn't win in the next 3 years, ya'll are going to be making fun of him and saying he sucks.

Well I thought CBB was the wrong coach for Arkansas so I respect your opinion.  I don't expect it to take CCM three years to produce better results than BB however to effect the change i'm Talking about is a very long process.  However i'm Also not talking about 8 win seasons, i'm Talking about a road to elite status.

Hawgphat

I applauded the hiring of Bret Bielema on the basis of both his resume and his affable, humorous, "regular guy" demeanor.  I'm not ashamed to say that I entertained high hopes that Bielema would be "The Man To Take Us To The Promised Land".  In hindsight, that hope was a futile one, but I see no reason whatever to own any shame at the resultant bitter disappointment of The Razorbacks Nation over the course of the next five years.  Bielema simply did not produce because he was not the right man for the job; that's it in a nutshell.

I'm fully supportive of the hire of Chad Morris & Co., - - and I believe that they have the tools to accomplish the overall goal - - along with the dedication to duty that not all coaching staffs exhibit.  If Coach Morris should happen to not improve our lot in the world of major college football, it won't hair-lip yours truly if some of you want to play the blame game.  I'll just consider the source, - - - and the apparent character of the accusers.

Hog Fan from Camden

I never made fun of Bielema, just not my style.  Glad we made the change, didn't want to see another Nutt fiasco!  If CM does not win so be it.  I think he is doing the right things to succeed at Arkansas!  Time will tell.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 25, 2018, 04:30:59 pm
Yes this is exactly the type of community type involvement i'm Talking about and if Arkansas is going to benifit then Arkansas needs to be involved too.  Cudos to CCM for being aware of the need to sell the Arkansas program to parents and kids even at this age.  When they turn 18 and Bama shows up in their living room I want them too already be solidly in the Razorback camp.
This photo came to mind when I read you original post so I shared.  Arkansas has to go above and beyond to recruit at a higher lever than what we have been.  Gotta do something different and this stood out to me as different!

liljo

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on February 25, 2018, 04:15:38 pm

Thank you for sharing this. That is an outstanding post, and you make an excellent point. Great picture as well.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Flrazrback

I'm not trying to stir the proverberal pot or bash Coach B, but when high school Coaches tell our current staff that nobody has come to visit them in a couple years it is a serious issue. There is a ton of excitement on The Hill and we are receiving interest from some Elite Prospects, more so now than in the last several years. The results of Coach Morris and Staff in recruiting to this point have been seen. Excited to see Spring Ball get underway.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2018, 08:32:12 am
Since 2005, how many under-developed/under-evaluated 2 and 3 star players have we missed out on signing that were from the state of Arkansas?
ZERO....Some folks would pass a law if they could that would require signing 15 players from Arkansas every year and the rest ust come from Texas.  Cuz that how we won in the 60's.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on February 26, 2018, 08:50:35 am
ZERO....Some folks would pass a law if they could that would require signing 15 players from Arkansas every year and the rest ust come from Texas.  Cuz that how we won in the 60's.

I see the whole point of the thread went right over your head.  Here let me help you, if you were stuck in a $10 an hour job for 30 years and your company hired a new CEO and he worked his butt off to improve the company, brought in new products, created new relationships for the company to mine and in the process created new and better jobs and working environment for the employees...oh and also raised your pay up to $15 an hour you would turn it down claiming there was no way you were worth any more than you had ever been worth.

Right?

justmakeit2thebcs

February 26, 2018, 10:45:44 am #62 Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:58:40 am by PharmacistHog
Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 26, 2018, 10:05:40 am
I see the whole point of the thread went right over your head.  Here let me help you, if you were stuck in a $10 an hour job for 30 years and your company hired a new CEO and he worked his butt off to improve the company, brought in new products, created new relationships for the company to mine and in the process created new and better jobs and working environment for the employees...oh and also raised your pay up to $15 an hour you would turn it down claiming there was no way you were worth any more than you had ever been worth.

Right?
Did you even read my post?   I said some of YOU want every player to come from Arkansas and the rest from East Texas...Period.  If you want to infer more go ahead, overthink it.   

BTW, If you think dropping in on a every HS coach once a year is going to improve HS football in Dumas, Rivercrest or Pocahontas, I disagree.

Al Boarland

This is correct.  Fanatical psychosis is a real condition.  Everything CBB did was golden and the answer until the momentum shifted within the fan base.  First just a few fans and then it grew with each loss or questionable call.  You had the guys hanging on as this past season drew near when the season cycle of optimism is at an all time high.  Once he was terminated the optimism well is spilling over the rim again for the new hire.  Buckets of optimism and hope will be scooped out over time.  Eventually everything that was great about the current coach will be spun as a negative.  It's all about perception. 

bennyl08

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 25, 2018, 10:20:34 am
Some of you are intentionally missing the point.  It is waaay past time that an Arkansas coach made an effort to raise the quality of player available IN Arkansas.  My post was about what CCM has said about access to his program(do you think he is talking about out of state coaches)and building better relationships with them.  What his purpose in talking extensively about his past as a HS coach and what that has meant to him.  I think his purpose is to mine that past and those experiences in any way he can.

Now of course all of us will have to wait to see if his Philosophy works and if it leads to more wins but since it has been my philosophy for years of course i'm Excited to at least see it in action.

What has CCM done to make players in state be better? Is he recruiting out of state players to come play high school in Arkansas? Is he fundraising to improve the hardware that high school programs have available to them? Is he lobbying in state congress to increase funding for state schools?

Or is he just allowing HS coaches to visit our campus and watch our practices and such? Because all of the previous coaching staffs did that and doing so isn't going to impact the quality of player development in high school sports any more than it did during past coaching staffs.

And to be honest, if he is doing the above, that could easily be his downfall. He needs to spend his time coaching the razorbacks. Not trying to be a HS coach again. Every minute he's trying to be a HS coach again, he isn't watching game film of our opponents, watching practice film, coming up with new schemes for our players, watching film on potential recruits. If he wants to hire somebody to be a full time improver of arkansas HS football, by all means. However, he doesn't have time to be doing that himself.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PharmacistHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 26, 2018, 01:13:25 pm
What has CCM done to make players in state be better? Is he recruiting out of state players to come play high school in Arkansas? Is he fundraising to improve the hardware that high school programs have available to them? Is he lobbying in state congress to increase funding for state schools?

Or is he just allowing HS coaches to visit our campus and watch our practices and such? Because all of the previous coaching staffs did that and doing so isn't going to impact the quality of player development in high school sports any more than it did during past coaching staffs.

And to be honest, if he is doing the above, that could easily be his downfall. He needs to spend his time coaching the razorbacks. Not trying to be a HS coach again. Every minute he's trying to be a HS coach again, he isn't watching game film of our opponents, watching practice film, coming up with new schemes for our players, watching film on potential recruits. If he wants to hire somebody to be a full time improver of arkansas HS football, by all means. However, he doesn't have time to be doing that himself.

By visiting the schools and even the younger kids he will hopefully cause more interest and excitement about football in general and maybe more kids will WANT to play high school football. Thats how he could improve football in arkansas.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

hogsanity

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 26, 2018, 02:14:38 pm
By visiting the schools and even the younger kids he will hopefully cause more interest and excitement about football in general and maybe more kids will WANT to play high school football. Thats how he could improve football in arkansas.

More kids playing does not really help unless they are SEC talent level kids. I simply do not believe there is some huge untapped reserve of SEC talent that is CHOOSING not to play football. Now, they may be ineligible to play, but simply not playing?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

liljo

::)
No.

In the words of Waylon Jennings: "Wrong."
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 26, 2018, 02:18:34 pm
More kids playing does not really help unless they are SEC talent level kids. I simply do not believe there is some huge untapped reserve of SEC talent that is CHOOSING not to play football. Now, they may be ineligible to play, but simply not playing?

Something has to be going on in central arkansas. And you may be right but its just strange that LR and the surrounding area doesn't produce more talent.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

wildturkey8

I am sure that is being done.  It wouldn't take much to do more than the previous coach.

ricepig

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 26, 2018, 02:58:09 pm
Something has to be going on in central arkansas. And you may be right but its just strange that LR and the surrounding area doesn't produce more talent.

https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/968209292544311296

The Little Rock School District will make a special announcement at 10:30 a.m., Tuesday at the administration building on W. Markham.  The announcement pertains to the future direction of athletics in the LRSD.

bphi11ips

You seem to believe there's something in the water that makes Arkansas citizens less athletic than those in other SEC states.  That makes no sense. What does make sense is that local communities in Arkansas do not currently devote the same resources to football players at an early age and throughout high school as local communities in most other SEC states.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on February 26, 2018, 03:19:00 pm
https://twitter.com/ArRecruitingGuy/status/968209292544311296

The Little Rock School District will make a special announcement at 10:30 a.m., Tuesday at the administration building on W. Markham.  The announcement pertains to the future direction of athletics in the LRSD.

Hopefully good news for LR kids.

wildturkey8

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 26, 2018, 03:32:43 pm
Hopefully good news for LR kids.
I hope so too.  That school district has been through so much.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2018, 08:32:12 am
Since 2005, how many under-developed/under-evaluated 2 and 3 star players have we missed out on signing that were from the state of Arkansas?
I believe we can find out if we looked at all the D1 players on the Rosters . The kid from Strong had a good career at LA Tech.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

#1 STUNNA

It all starts with the Head coach... If Warren Arkansas can do it then their is no reason many other schools highly populated with athletes cant do it. Their are tons of Athletes walking the halls in southern and central schools. The coach is in charge of changing the culture in his school. No reason every southern and central conference shouldnt have atleast a division 1 athlete... The players are in the schools. But it starts and ends with the head chief.

#1 STUNNA

take the day off and walk the hallways of some of the southern and central high schools.

DLUXHOG

Lou Holtz went 11-1 his first year at Arkansas. (Former coach, JFB was 7-4 the prior season)  And...  his Hogs were preseason ranked #1 in year 2.   It can be done!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jkstock04

There are a lot of kids that slip through the cracks man...you being a ft smith guy should realize this.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hawgphat

I'm not trying to borrow trouble here, by any means, but if we understand the premise that there aren't all that many "SEC" potential quality in-state athletes" in any given year, then the Razorbacks coaching staff might very well have no pressing reason to closely monitor each and every small-town football program, constantly and tirelessly combing the ranks for "diamonds in the rough".  That disinclination to stay religiously "plugged in" to each and every small-town program in devoted fashion, however, could presumably result in a number of head coaches at those small-town programs getting their noses out of joint over feeling "slighted".

I don't know if this is - or has been - the case with previous Razorbacks football staffs.  But it seems to me that it would be somewhat understandable (due to the peculiarities of human nature in general) for a high school coach to feel like he had a humdinger of a "fine" athlete on his roster - - - who might not be considered by Razorbacks recruitment staff members to be all that "fine" a prospect, - - - - resulting in a boatload of resentment on the part of a particular high school football coach, leading to a decidedly non congenial relationship between that particular high school coach and The Arkansas Razorbacks.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgphat on February 26, 2018, 06:02:23 pm
I'm not trying to borrow trouble here, by any means, but if we understand the premise that there aren't all that many "SEC" potential quality in-state athletes" in any given year, then the Razorbacks coaching staff might very well have no pressing reason to closely monitor each and every small-town football program, constantly and tirelessly combing the ranks for "diamonds in the rough".  That disinclination to stay religiously "plugged in" to each and every small-town program in devoted fashion, however, could presumably result in a number of head coaches at those small-town programs getting their noses out of joint over feeling "slighted".

I don't know if this is - or has been - the case with previous Razorbacks football staffs.  But it seems to me that it would be somewhat understandable (due to the peculiarities of human nature in general) for a high school coach to feel like he had a humdinger of a "fine" athlete on his roster - - - who might not be considered by Razorbacks recruitment staff members to be all that "fine" a prospect, - - - - resulting in a boatload of resentment on the part of a particular high school football coach, leading to a decidedly non congenial relationship between that particular high school coach and The Arkansas Razorbacks.

Most HS coaches have coached long enough and seen enough high level talent to recognize the characteristics of SEC level talent. And most HS coaches will be cautious about promoting a kid as a "SEC talent" to college coaches because they too want to retain their reputation for knowing what they are talking about. Start pushing kids that are marginal or don't seem to demonstrate true SEC potential (without saying so up front) and your credibility with college coaching staffs goes down quickly. If you say that, "this kid has been under-evaluated but really is an SEC player", you better be able to make a case for that and you better be right or they might not believe you again.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgphat

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 26, 2018, 06:30:09 pm
Most HS coaches have coached long enough and seen enough high level talent to recognize the characteristics of SEC level talent. And most HS coaches will be cautious about promoting a kid as a "SEC talent" to college coaches because they too want to retain their reputation for knowing what they are talking about. Start pushing kids that are marginal or don't seem to demonstrate true SEC potential (without saying so up front) and your credibility with college coaching staffs goes down quickly. If you say that, "this kid has been under-evaluated but really is an SEC player", you better be able to make a case for that and you better be right or they might not believe you again.

I heartily agree with that summation.

Cinco de Hogo

Still missing the point by assuming i'm Talking about past players or even players that are "walking the halls" right now.  If you are make change happen it starts at a younger age.  If you know two kids that are borderline right now you have go back 5-6 years and view forward to find out why they are borderline.  If you find 20 that are similar you can bet there are 20 that in 5-6 years will be in the same situation.  And i'm Only talking about the ones that have a true possibility of being D-1 athletes.

jkstock04

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 27, 2018, 07:51:22 am
Still missing the point by assuming i'm Talking about past players or even players that are "walking the halls" right now.  If you are make change happen it starts at a younger age.  If you know two kids that are borderline right now you have go back 5-6 years and view forward to find out why they are borderline.  If you find 20 that are similar you can bet there are 20 that in 5-6 years will be in the same situation.  And i'm Only talking about the ones that have a true possibility of being D-1 athletes.
Exactly....I agree. This concept is a lot bigger (and more complicated) than simply getting some random 17 yr old guy eligible.

The people asking the question "how many in state players have we missed out on over the past X years" aren't getting the point.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rljjr

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 25, 2018, 10:37:07 am
Someone above said and I agree, Little Rock alone "could" produce 3-5 more athletes if a coach were to be successful in affecting the culture that exist there.  Enlist the help of Keith Jackson, Fritz Hill and others but for heavens sake someone needs to do something.

Little Rock, Fort Smith, Pune Bluff and an endless list of cities and towns have athletes, who have the same physical tools that are available in most southern states.  It would be possible for Arkansas to become elite and remain elite if somehow a coach could develop the "Friday Night Football" in this state to a much hgher level. 

I assume you know HS football fairly well,  what would you do if you were want to build a sustainable program at Arkansas?  Would you forever be satisfied with competing for out of state players with all the other big time programs or would you work you asz of trying to build up the instate talent?   I know I would do both but I also believe that the instate talent is the only way we will rise above the level we have been....well that and CCM's connections to Texas High Schools that already exist.

I wonder what the LRSD press conference related to athletics will discuss, and will that discussion result in the 3-5 more D-1 SEC caliber athletes? I grew up in Fort Smith, but remember the days in the early to mid-80s when the Central Arkansas schools were dominating the landscape of HS football. I want them to get back to being like that again -- not at the detriment of other areas, but RAISING the level and numbers of great athletes. The state needs LR to be great again because we all benefit. There's room for all corners of the state to produce great players.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 26, 2018, 03:30:56 pm
You seem to believe there's something in the water that makes Arkansas citizens less athletic than those in other SEC states.  That makes no sense. What does make sense is that local communities in Arkansas do not currently devote the same resources to football players at an early age and throughout high school as local communities in most other SEC states.

Well, it is not in the water, but it is in the genes.

As far as devoting resources to football, what resources are you going to devote to football in a town of 300-700?

I can tell you that there is plenty of resources poured into football at that age in places like Booneville and Greenwood. But where are you going to get resources in smaller towns.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 27, 2018, 07:51:22 am

can only speak for where im from. But those young men learn the basic concepts of the offense Hembree runs in grade school. What also helps is the high school kids are the ones that are coaching and helping these kids on saturday. So in Warren right now kids are growing up wanting to be the Next Treylon Burks because he is the one on the sidelines saturday morning coaching.

hogsanity

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on February 27, 2018, 09:43:13 am
can only speak for where im from. But those young men learn the basic concepts of the offense Hembree runs in grade school. What also helps is the high school kids are the ones that are coaching and helping these kids on saturday. So in Warren right now kids are growing up wanting to be the Next Treylon Burks because he is the one on the sidelines saturday morning coaching.

I agree those things are important, but they only matter to the Hogs if one of those kids grows up to have SEC level skills. Now, there is nothing bad going to come from getting more people involved, more kids playing, getting the HS kids involved in helping, those are all good things, but kids still have to grow up with SEC level skills to help the Hogs.

I'll use a basketball player for what I mean. Daniel Gafford grew up wanting to be a Hog. But had he quit growing at 5'10" his desire to be a Razorback would not have helped the Razorback program on the court.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 09:55:41 am
I agree those things are important, but they only matter to the Hogs if one of those kids grows up to have SEC level skills. Now, there is nothing bad going to come from getting more people involved, more kids playing, getting the HS kids involved in helping, those are all good things, but kids still have to grow up with SEC level skills to help the Hogs.

I'll use a basketball player for what I mean. Daniel Gafford grew up wanting to be a Hog. But had he quit growing at 5'10" his desire to be a Razorback would not have helped the Razorback program on the court.

Unless he was the next Isaiah Thomas.......

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: ricepig on February 27, 2018, 10:02:49 am
Unless he was the next Isaiah Thomas.......

or 5'10 Jarius Wright

clew

Great thread.  I know times have changed in the *gulp* twenty-six years since I graduated from a delta area high school, but it made such a huge impression to see Coach Grimes show up every-other week in his Arkansas gear.  We had three players from that state championship team that played at Arkansas.  Kids may not be as awestruck now as I was then, but presence matters.
Pure as the dawn

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 08:51:25 am

Are you serious?  What in the world do you think is different in the genes of Arkansas citizens vs., for example, Louisiana citizens?

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 08:51:25 am

By "genes" do you mean "demographics?"

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 27, 2018, 10:28:39 am
Are you serious?  What in the world do you think is different in the genes of Arkansas citizens vs., for example, Louisiana citizens?

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 27, 2018, 10:32:12 am
By "genes" do you mean "demographics?"

People dance around this all the time, but yea, demographics has a lot to do with it. Our AA population is about 450k. Bama has 1.25 mil. Louisiana 1.5mil. Ga has as many AA's as Arkansas has total population. Fla 2.9mil. Tn 1mil. Mizzu 700k. SC 1.3mil.

There have been studies of the # of d1 football players and where they come from, and there is no doubt, the higher the AA population the higher the rate of d1 players.

RME

Quote from: hogsanity on February 27, 2018, 10:40:51 am
People dance around this all the time, but yea, demographics has a lot to do with it. Our AA population is about 450k. Bama has 1.25 mil. Louisiana 1.5mil. Ga has as many AA's as Arkansas has total population. Fla 2.9mil. Tn 1mil. Mizzu 700k. SC 1.3mil.

There have been studies of the # of d1 football players and where they come from, and there is no doubt, the higher the AA population the higher the rate of d1 players.

I don't dance around that at all. "Genes" was just a pretty odd way to say "demographics." It made it sound like Arkansans as a whole were somehow genetically inferior. But yes, I'm behind the demographics argument.

ricepig

Big LRSD news was Scooter Register retiring at Central.

#1 STUNNA

Schools like Dumas, Monticello, and Stuttgart should be producing more Division 1 talent. Not sure why they dont. I think style of play has hurt them and coaching.

ricepig

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on February 27, 2018, 11:08:11 am
Schools like Dumas, Monticello, and Stuttgart should be producing more Division 1 talent. Not sure why they dont. I think style of play has hurt them and coaching.

Yeah, Stuttgart use to send a few up every few years, but haven't had one in forever that I can remember. Has there been anyone since Bo Busby from Monticello??

wildturkey8

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on February 27, 2018, 11:08:11 am
Is not Southern and Eastern Arkansas losing population?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ricepig on February 27, 2018, 11:02:15 am
Big LRSD news was Scooter Register retiring at Central.

He had a great run in LR and I proud to been a College Student on his staff at McClellan. Best unpaid job ever. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.