Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I’m not throwing anyone under the bus

Started by Piggfoot, November 18, 2017, 04:23:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

I'm sure our players played as well as they could but as a team we aren't good enough. We have a few good players but not enough.

Bielema did not follow the Ole ball coach's advice when he said  we were going to have to recruit our way out of our problems.

Unlike Mullen who recruited some great quarterbacks over the past few years, Bielema hitched his wagon on two Allen's and a Storey. The Allens made their records against weak first half of the season teams, not SEC teams. Storey is not an SEC quarterback, Bielema was crazy to believe Story was a 4 or 5 Star when he played in a weak Confrence against  9,10,11 and 12 grade kids. Storey was simply precocious.
We don't have a quarterback half as good as Fitzgerald. That was one of the differences today.

Of course when you have a team that does not have good enough SEC players coached by inept coaches you shouldn't expect better results.

Spurrier and Tuberville are right we have to recruit players. Fans who believe in the scheme and coach em up philosophy are dreaming.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

lakecityhog

hawg1221

Too many stupid penalties. They're not very smart between the ears. They make the mistakes of a losing team. I blame the coaches for their mental mistakes.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Yeah I hate when the players decide to line TS up in the steamboat to get short yardage or when they decide to go for it on 4th with the game on the line. Poor coaches, its all on the players.

regi

This team has more talent than a 4-7 team.  Tough to overcome poor coaching and coaching decisions I n every aspect of the program. At least the kids played hard for 4 quarters today,  1St time since A&M.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 18, 2017, 04:23:15 pm
I'm sure our players played as well as they could but as a team we aren't good enough. We have a few good players but not enough.

Bielema did not follow the Ole ball coach's advice when he said  we were going to have to recruit our way out of our problems.

Unlike Mullen who recruited some great quarterbacks over the past few years, Bielema hitched his wagon on two Allen's and a Storey. The Allens made their records against weak first half of the season teams, not SEC teams. Storey is not an SEC quarterback, Bielema was crazy to believe Story was a 4 or 5 Star when he played in a weak Confrence against  9,10,11 and 12 grade kids. Storey was simply precocious.
We don't have a quarterback half as good as Fitzgerald. That was one of the differences today.

Of course when you have a team that does not have good enough SEC players coached by inept coaches you shouldn't expect better results.

Spurrier and Tuberville are right we have to recruit players. Fans who believe in the scheme and coach em up philosophy are dreaming.
i totally disagree. Today proves we have talent all over the field but a collection of CLOWNS coaching them. All pissed away by Bert berting.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Piggfoot

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 18, 2017, 04:28:50 pm
Yeah I hate when the players decide to line TS up in the steamboat to get short yardage or when they decide to go for it on 4th with the game on the line. Poor coaches, its all on the players.
First of all that was not the steamboat package. If Storey was what all of his supporters said he was he could have made two yards.  Unfortunately he was caught in the backfield. The coaches didn't get beat on the block. It might not have been the best call and probably wasn't. It was certainly a collective effort by players and coaches.
I believe though if we had had Fitzgerald taking the snap our chances of making the two yards would have been better.

Bebop

All of our issues as a team go back to a poor excuse for a coach.

ManBeast

I wonder, did you ever watch Storey play in high school? I did. He was pretty darn good. Most every game he played in he was far and away the best player on the field. I will grant you that he played in Arkansas 3A. He rarely saw a FCS quality opponent. That does not make him a slouch. He was very accurate. He came from a system that was all about tempo and timing.

Ty Storey was a much coveted QB. Even Nick Saban recruited him. He's not recruiting slouches. He felt that Storey could compete for the position at Alabama. Ty Storey won every QB competition he went to. I know, I know, they aren't playing against live defenses.

Ty Storey has been ruined at the U of A. They have destroyed his throwing motion. He has never been placed in a position that he could have success. He should never have gone to the U of A, but it wasn't because he wasn't talented. He should have gone to a system that played a style of offense that he was used to playing.

Hogwarrior

November 18, 2017, 04:41:55 pm #9 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:28:40 pm by Hogwarrior

There is a thread on HV that list the star ratings of the returning players for next season.  If you check it out you will choke on this post as we have more "star" quality than all but 5 teams in the SEC!  You people need to stop saying we don't have the players and accept that a lot of these kids have ruined their futures as FB players due to the snake oil Bert sold em!  You will see next season how untalented they are!  And you brought up Fitzgerald, do you realize he only had two D1 offers?  At the end of the day, it's about what coaches do with kids once they hit campus!

Piggfoot

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 18, 2017, 04:33:42 pm
i totally disagree. Today proves we have talent all over the field but a collection of CLOWNS coaching them. All pissed away by Bert berting.
Do you seriously think if we took both coaching staffs off the field and say let Fitzgerald and Allen coach the teams that we would have won. The only reason we were in the game is because of breaks. We might could have put it away if Santos makes the pick six which he should have. The coaches didn't drop the ball.

ManBeast

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 04:41:55 pm
There is a thread on HV that list the star ratings of the returning players for next season.  If you check it out you will choke as this post as we have more "star" quality than all but 5 teams in the SEC!  You people need to stop saying we don't have the players and accept that a lot of these kids have ruined their futures as FB players due to the snake oil Bert sold em!  You will see next season how untalented they are!  And you brought up Fitzgerald, do you realize he only had two D1 offers?  At the end of the day, it's about what coaches do with kids once they hit campus!

Totally agree!

Piggfoot

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 04:41:55 pm
There is a thread on HV that list the star ratings of the returning players for next season.  If you check it out you will choke as this post as we have more "star" quality than all but 5 teams in the SEC!  You people need to stop saying we don't have the players and accept that a lot of these kids have ruined their futures as FB players due to the snake oil Bert sold em!  You will see next season how untalented they are!  And you brought up Fitzgerald, do you realize he only had two D1 offers?  At the end of the day, it's about what coaches do with kids once they hit campus!
are you telling me the coaches made him 6'5 and 4.5 speed ?

HiggiePiggy

We don't have the coaching.  The talent is was good enough to win 8 games this year.  OP likes to pretty much do this often. It's rarely the coaches faults in his mind. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

ManBeast

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on November 18, 2017, 04:46:43 pm
We don't have the coaching.  The talent is was good enough to win 8 games this year.  OP likes to pretty much do this often. It's rarely the coaches faults in his mind.

If it comes down to talent as OP claims then it's the coaches' fault. They're the ones that recruited this lackluster talent. I say it's poor coaching and development. A lot of these players we have chose Arkansas over some really good offers.

forrest city joe

Quote from: regi on November 18, 2017, 04:31:52 pm
This team has more talent than a 4-7 team.  Tough to overcome poor coaching and coaching decisions I n every aspect of the program. At least the kids played hard for 4 quarters today,  1St time since A&M.
+1000.there are some very good young players on this team.poor coaches and decision making is the main reason this team is so bad.yes we need to Add more speed. yes we need  Run/Pass QB.and yes we need some more good OL. this may be the worst coaching i have ever seen at Arkansas. and it cost these players any chance of winning today.just like it has for 5 years now.this nightmare sould have ended last year after Auburn.

cjack

November 18, 2017, 04:57:17 pm #16 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:39:00 pm by cjack
Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on November 18, 2017, 04:28:50 pm

The 4th down bs was just normal stupid for him. I know very little about Ty Storey since I'm from SW Arkansas. Does he run well?  I know he's not big like Kelley. I'm just trying to figure out if that call was normal stupid or uncommonly stupid for our soon to be ex coach.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

cjack

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 18, 2017, 04:46:19 pm

I think he's saying he wasn't a 4 or 5 star high school kid
Woooo Pig Soooie!

jkstock04

Sounds like throwing people under the bus is exactly what you did lol. Interesting how mantras and narratives change.

I've read and heard about over and over for years that under Bielema we have recruited better and deeper than ever before in modern history. No I'm not being sarcastic.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DOGALUM

I will be happy when Tolliver moves on.  He gets beat BADLY more than anyone ive ever seen.  He is the biggest liability on this defense IMO.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Pig_Lebowski

"great QB's"?  Nobody wanted Dak or the current QB.

farmhawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 18, 2017, 04:33:42 pm
Yep, but piggfoot loves him some Bert so......
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

soso

For me the turning point was the loss of Sam Pittman. Recruiting and OLine play deteriorated after that.

Farmer Hogget

What I hate the most is when you listen to any Arkansas football game all year long and the announcers talk about all the attrition due to injuries Arkansas has sustained at key positions, and they are smart enough to realize what's going on.  Our fans have serious mental issues, as well.  I blame the fact that most of you were probably dropped on your heads as children.

code red

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 18, 2017, 04:36:00 pm
First of all that was not the steamboat package. If Storey was what all of his supporters said he was he could have made two yards.  Unfortunately he was caught in the backfield. The coaches didn't get beat on the block. It might not have been the best call and probably wasn't. It was certainly a collective effort by players and coaches.
I believe though if we had had Fitzgerald taking the snap our chances of making the two yards would have been better.
It was a stupid ass call.  When Allen went out everyone in the stadium knew what was coming.   
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

apcapri

11-2 Petrino's last year...JLS wins 4 the next year because the players forgot how to play. No issue with the coaching.

Dumb ole famrboy

Keep in mind- Fitzgerald only had 2 schools offer a scholarship - Mississippi State and Middle Tennessee.

hog of steele

Our players were good enough to win this game. We just aren't well coached. It's a dead and buried horse but a better coach could have won more games this season with these players.

_Hamlet_

hog of steele

Quote from: _Hamlet_ on November 18, 2017, 05:18:44 pm
The Gus Bus?!

I don't care if Gus becomes our coach. But what I remember about Gus is that he took a team without a QB and he figured out how to make our RB fit that spot. Gus is smart on offense. He puts his players in a spot to win. That is a good reason to hire him. If we do, I hope it works out.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: farmhawg on November 18, 2017, 05:02:57 pm

No he doesn't love him, he likes to argue with people. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PorkRinds

Saying you're not going to throw anyone under the bus doesn't mean anything when you go on to throw players under the bus.

Athog

jgphillips3

It is beyond stupid and asinine to blame the players for this mess.  We have top 25 talent, 8-4 or 9-3 potential talent on THIS team.  We also have the worst damn coaching of that talent I have seen in my lifetime.  HDN looks like Mensa material next to CBB.  A decent coach would be 7-4 at worst right now...at worst. 

Pig_Lebowski

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 18, 2017, 05:48:44 pm
It is beyond stupid and asinine to blame the players for this mess.  We have top 25 talent, 8-4 or 9-3 potential talent on THIS team.  We also have the worst damn coaching of that talent I have seen in my lifetime.  HDN looks like Mensa material next to CBB.  A decent coach would be 7-4 at worst right now...at worst. 
With the exception of one, maybe two, no one would start at another SEC school.

lakecityhog

Ain't it funny how "stars matter" until it means the coaching staff is doing a terrible job! Kids that are rated 4* and offered by MANY SEC schools are the problem and not the coach that continues to try to run the football on 1st down against an 8 man front.

It is a State Championship QB that has all of 20 plays on the ENTIRE season that failed and not the STUPID coach that put him in an ABSOLUTE no win situation.

GOD! I literally HATE some of you people!!!!!

GoHogs1091

A combined 2 wins and 13 losses against Texas A&M, Auburn, and Mississippi State.

That right there is the results of a wannabe SEC Head Coach (Bielema).

ballz2thewall

it's the coaches.

yes, we'd like the best players.

it's the coaches.

we have good talent.

it's the coaches.
The rest of the frog.

rljjr

Uhh, we were as good as, or better, than the team played today -- if that's your reason why we lost. If you're speaking overall, then yes, recruiting is the lifeblood, but there are quality players there.

Pigdiana Jones

The players played as well as they could today. They were led by poor coaching and poor play calling. I haven't criticized the officials all season, but even that was pretty bad today.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

wachhog

Quote from: hog of steele on November 18, 2017, 05:21:40 pm
I don't care if Gus becomes our coach. But what I remember about Gus is that he took a team without a QB and he figured out how to make our RB fit that spot. Gus is smart on offense. He puts his players in a spot to win. That is a good reason to hire him. If we do, I hope it works out.
This. If he takes the job, he may be a flop. But at least he'll be a new flop.  I haven't been enamored of our hiring him only because of Armani Ronnie and what comes with him. But what Nutt did to Gus and the Sorjngdale kids was spiteful and child-like, and it was shameful that he was allowed to get by with it if only for a season. Again, who might gain influence was/is my only concern.

wachhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 18, 2017, 05:48:44 pm
It is beyond stupid and asinine to blame the players for this mess.  We have top 25 talent, 8-4 or 9-3 potential talent on THIS team.  We also have the worst damn coaching of that talent I have seen in my lifetime.  HDN looks like Mensa material next to CBB.  A decent coach would be 7-4 at worst right now...
Even if we had NO talent, that would be on the guy who is getting paid over $4 million, not the kids who agreed to come play for our alma mater.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: farmhawg on November 18, 2017, 05:02:57 pm
yeah he does. Isnt he anti-MA as well?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

KlubhouseKonnected

Wow... you should know that the offensive line has easily been the biggest failing of his tenure. That you don't seem to know that makes me think you are just talking to talk.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

The Hawg Marshal

Not lack of talent . Lack of coaching. We don't have Bama talent but we have enough to have won today.

PossumFan

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 18, 2017, 04:27:25 pm
Too many stupid penalties. They're not very smart between the ears. They make the mistakes of a losing team. I blame the coaches for their mental mistakes.

Not really. 24th in the nation in "fewest penalties" at 4.9 per game.

Hogwarrior

Quote from: ManBeast on November 18, 2017, 04:41:35 pm
I wonder, did you ever watch Storey play in high school? I did. He was pretty darn good. Most every game he played in he was far and away the best player on the field. I will grant you that he played in Arkansas 3A. He rarely saw a FCS quality opponent. That does not make him a slouch. He was very accurate. He came from a system that was all about tempo and timing.

Ty Storey was a much coveted QB. Even Nick Saban recruited him. He's not recruiting slouches. He felt that Storey could compete for the position at Alabama. Ty Storey won every QB competition he went to. I know, I know, they aren't playing against live defenses.

Ty Storey has been ruined at the U of A. They have destroyed his throwing motion. He has never been placed in a position that he could have success. He should never have gone to the U of A, but it wasn't because he wasn't talented. He should have gone to a system that played a style of offense that he was used to playing.

Dude, Saban recruited a lot of kids he never actually gave a scholarship to.  He also recruits a ton of kids and gray shirt them while telling them, "I'll give you a chance to earn a scholarship."  I also hope you know that there are many kids who serve one purpose for 4 years, practice!  Storey probably was the best athlete on the field in 3A football in Arkansas in that part of the state.  And probably was accurate playing against 5-9, 150 lb kids who ran 5.2 40s in opposing secondaries.  I have no clue why anyone would think growing up playing against that little of talent, in a system that requires not knowing what a defensive set is because the D coach is the BB coach moonlighting during FB season could translate to a starting SEC level QB.  Again, another foolish and lazy move by BB!  You don't waste precious scholarships on project QBs.  You waste em on athletes you can turn into a WR, RB, DB or LB but not QB!

Cinco de Hogo

As for your last sentence, coaches never blame failure on the coach...because of mirrors you know.   Whatever problem this team has, anywhere you can place blame, still belongs to the guys getting paid millions.  If you don't like it I wonder if you would be willing to cough up their bloated salaries.

IronHog

Quote from: Hogwarrior on November 18, 2017, 07:25:00 pm
Dude, Saban recruited a lot of kids he never actually gave a scholarship to.  He also recruits a ton of kids and gray shirt them while telling them, "I'll give you a chance to earn a scholarship."  I also hope you know that there are many kids who serve one purpose for 4 years, practice!  Storey probably was the best athlete on the field in 3A football in Arkansas in that part of the state.  And probably was accurate playing against 5-9, 150 lb kids who ran 5.2 40s in opposing secondaries.  I have no clue why anyone would think growing up playing against that little of talent, in a system that requires not knowing what a defensive set is because the D coach is the BB coach moonlighting during FB season could translate to a starting SEC level QB.  Again, another foolish and lazy move by BB!  You don't waste precious scholarships on project QBs.  You waste em on athletes you can turn into a WR, RB, DB or LB but not QB!

It's not 1975

Most scholarships are awarded based on physical traits and camp performances....not beating up on 3a teams.

Story is everything a D1 coach wants except a big arm.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hogwarrior

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 18, 2017, 04:46:19 pm

No, I'm telling you the kid had only 2 D1 offers coming out of HS!  I don't even think he was a 3* but I'm sure he only had 2 D1 offers!  That speaks for itself when we start talking about identifying and developing talent!  Did you know Mullen changed his entire throwing motion and delivery point?  Also, do you realize, our roster has more 5 and 4 star athletes combined than Miss St.?  Dude, it's not a talent deficit, it's every day coaching!  I don't know what is so hard for people to understand!  I'll try it this way:

Boss A is anal and is a stickler for detail.  Also requires 100% every day of ALL employees, BUT, as boss A succeeds, he reward ALL of his employees equally but he ensures he gives his best employees the hardest assignments because he knows they can accomplish the assignment and raise the productivity of the department.

Boss B is laid back and has a personal relationship with most of his employees.  After mistakes he pat them on the back and tell em it will be all right, just try harder next time.  BUT, he never give his better employees an opportunity at high profile jobs because he is attempting to raise the profile of the employees he like the most.  Boss A doesn't succeed and therefore isn't given any rewards to share with employees.

Who would you rather work for?