Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelly is future. Need to start him. Alabama started true freshman

Started by Mr. Porkleone, September 26, 2017, 09:30:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

No doubt to me Cole Kelly is a beast. Funny how we can't start a true freshman but Alabama does. So there lies the problem. CBB is so sub par to see this. It's what sets Saban apart from others. He plays the best player.

CBB needs to play the best QB and every position regardless of class year. Cole gave a spark, and players feed of it.  CBB pride is getting in way.

Just how many wins has the Allen boys gotten us?

jacobp

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

GunnerHawg70

Piggfoot

We're not Alabama for one thing. Unless changed, Saban does not want his QB to be the primary play maker.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

DoctorSusscrofa

Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

ricepig

Etowah

At least we are typical.

With every fanbase of a team that loses a game...the backup QB is the most popular player on the team.

jkstock04

Not quite time to throw in the towel like that. I would agree with the OP when/if it becomes blatantly obvious that we won't win 6 games. At some point start building for the future.

Cole gives the team a nice spark, his demeanor is contagious, and his physical stature oozes confidence making the defense nervous...but it's also obvious to me he's still green as green can be. His mechanics look pretty sloppy and awkward. Not time just yet...3 games into the season to throw Austin to the sidelines.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Drop the Mike

I realize that the backup QB is the most popular guy on most fan's list so hopefully you could learn to spell his last name. Secondly, Kelley did a nice job in gaining short yardage in 3rd down situations, but he did miss a wide open man and held the ball too long resulting in a sack in the one true passing set he was in on.

Isn't missing open receivers and holding the ball too long the main reason people want to bench Allen?

Jim Harris

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on September 26, 2017, 09:30:20 am
No doubt to me Cole Kelly is a beast. Funny how we can't start a true freshman but Alabama does. So there lies the problem. CBB is so sub par to see this. It's what sets Saban apart from others. He plays the best player.

CBB needs to play the best QB and every position regardless of class year. Cole gave a apart. CBB pride is getting in way.

A&M has a fifth-year senior but starts a true freshman, just fwiw
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

NaturalStateReb

They're scoring lots of points.  Scored 43 on offense last week.  Offense isn't the problem.  It's big plays on defense and bad special teams.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hawganatic

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on September 26, 2017, 09:31:55 am
Yes let's start him over our senior QB

Yeah, if Kelley is better (not saying he is or isn't) than he should start over our senior QB.  If Allen being a senior is the only reason he is starting, then that doesn't say much for the coach's will to win.

Top programs start the best players at all positions.

rhames

I'm usually not one of those play the back up qb...

However Enos has made some remarks that makes me think he is wanting to play Kelly.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 26, 2017, 09:55:14 am
Not quite time to throw in the towel like that. I would agree with the OP when/if it becomes blatantly obvious that we won't win 6 games. At some point start building for the future.

Cole gives the team a nice spark, his demeanor is contagious, and his physical stature oozes confidence making the defense nervous...but it's also obvious to me he's still green as green can be. His mechanics look pretty sloppy and awkward. Not time just yet...3 games into the season to throw Austin to the sidelines.

You're right.

Cole Kelley is not an every down QB in this offense.  Enos did a great job with him against A&M.  Kelley will continue to make a difference in red zone and shirt yardage situations. 

It will take an offseason to retool the offense to fit Kelley's skill set.  We'll wind up somewhere between Nick Fitzgerald and Collin Klein.  That should be a good thing.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HogHomer

Quote from: rhames on September 26, 2017, 09:58:10 am
I'm usually not one of those play the back up qb...

However Enos has made some remarks that makes me think he is wanting to play Kelly.
I wouldn't say Enos has lost confidence in AA but having to cool down his 5th year senior QB on the sidelines probably gave him pause.

hawganatic

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2017, 10:03:43 am

It will take an offseason to retool the offense to fit Kelley's skill set.  We'll wind up somewhere between Nick Fitzgerald and Collin Klein.  That should be a good thing.

This is probably what we need right now.  A QB that can create something when nothing is there.  AA is a very good quarterback when everything is perfect, but when the protection breaks down or the receivers can't get open, he's not the one to make a play.  Just not in his skillset. 

JaketheSnake

Tell us about to handful of pass plays Cole Kelly has ran this season... he isn't ready for that role yet.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2017, 10:03:43 am
You're right.

Cole Kelley is not an every down QB in this offense.  Enos did a great job with him against A&M.  Kelley will continue to make a difference in red zone and shirt yardage situations. 

I'm thinking a lot closer to Klein, Fitzgerald has some pretty good wheels for a big guy.

Hogdomer

Quote from: ricepig on September 26, 2017, 10:08:33 am
I'm thinking a lot closer to Klein, Fitzgerald has some pretty good wheels for a big guy.

Collin Klein is also a much better runner and much faster than Kelley.  I'm hoping Cole is a significantly better passer than either of those guys.

1highhog

CBB needs to play the best QB and every position regardless of class year. Cole gave a spark, and players feed of it.  CBB pride is getting in way.

Yes, let's start Cole and turn Hades loose on him the rest of the season with the likes of Alabama, Auburn, heck, every opponent we have left and we'll be back using Allen before seasons end.  Do you know why, because Cole Kelley will be injured and no good for us the rest of the year and may be mentally tramatized by getting the crap beat out of him from opposing defensive units being in the backfield before he takes two steps back.  Until our Oline gets better Cole needs to play sporadically like they've been using him.

Razorbackers

HeathWimp

As inconsistent as he is on the field, Bert has been equally consistent in his insistence on playing upper-classman unless there is absolutely no one else available.  I was actually pretty shocked that Cole got as many reps as he did.  Going forward, I would be even more shocked if his reps increased.  At most, I think we'll see him a few plays each game, about like we did against A&M.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

ricepig

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on September 26, 2017, 10:08:33 am

My thoughts, too. 

Kelley is faster than he looks.  Not many runs in this HUDL highlight video, but defenders take bad angles because Kelley covers a lot of ground in one stride.  Matt Jones was faster, of course, but same principle:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3137127/5721e56f64e96b6380309a8a 

hawganatic

Quote from: 1highhog on September 26, 2017, 10:13:20 am
Yes, let's start Cole and turn Hades loose on him the rest of the season with the likes of Alabama, Auburn, heck, every opponent we have left and we'll be back using Allen before seasons end.  Do you know why, because Cole Kelley will be injured and no good for us the rest of the year and may be mentally tramatized by getting the crap beat out of him from opposing defensive units being in the backfield before he takes two steps back.  Until our Oline gets better Cole needs to play sporadically like they've been using him.

So Cole Kelley is twice the size of Austin Allen, yet you think he'll get injured and AA won't?  I'm pretty sure Kelley can take the beating a lot better than Allen, and probably put a few of the other team on the sideline himself.

hawganatic

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2017, 10:22:04 am
My thoughts, too. 

Kelley is faster than he looks.  Not many runs in this HUDL highlight video, but defenders take bad angles because Kelley covers a lot of ground in one stride.  Matt Jones was faster, of course, but same principle.

Just from what I've seen of Kelley in his limited action, he looks a lot like a Tebow type.  Not fast or shifty, but big and strong enough to use as a battering ram.  And dangerous enough where the other team will have to dedicate one (maybe two players) to watching him.

riccoar

Quote from: Jim Harris on September 26, 2017, 09:56:39 am
A&M has a fifth-year senior but starts a true freshman, just fwiw
Recruiting.  They have 8 QB's on roster.  When your consistently recruiting high caliber players, you don't have to follow the ole HS model of giving the upper classmen the start by proxy.

Kelley, IMHO, has earned the right to be worked into the game preparation beyond just being a backup.  Not saying Allen should be benched, but let's start giving some kids some live fire for 2018.

SemperFi

The OP brings up a valid point. The Hogs and the Aggies were playing for 6th and at best 5th place in the SEC West last week. We got beat by a team that played 18 freshmen and it was their freshmen QB that killed us, so that places us in dead last in our division where we'll probably finish (I hope not). AA is still struggling despite making a few nice throws. Do we play for the future of the team starting next game to develop chemistry and experience or do we go with AA the rest of the way and then start complaining next season why Cole Kelly doesn't have a good rapport with the WR's and everything else in between. AA, in my opinion, doesn't strike me as giving the Hogs any edge at the QB position. Cole Kelly, on the other hand, provides an entirely new dynamic that AA cannot match.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

PossumFan

While we're at it, let's bench Ragnow too and let the guy who will be snapping to Kelley next year get experience. SMH.

bphi11ips

Quote from: riccoar on September 26, 2017, 10:25:56 am
Recruiting.  They have 8 QB's on roster.  When your consistently recruiting high caliber players, you don't have to follow the ole HS model of giving the upper classmen the start by proxy.

Kelley, IMHO, has earned the right to be worked into the game preparation beyond just being a backup.  Not saying Allen should be benched, but let's start giving some kids some live fire for 2018.

He wasn't used as a backup against A&M.  He was a situational weapon.  That will include his arm as well as his legs.  The TD pass was nothing more than play action.  Next time it may be a sixty yard bomb on third and short. 

There are 9 games left in this season.  Kelley will be used to help win as many of those as possible.  At this point he looks like a difference maker, but not as the starter.   

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: SemperFi on September 26, 2017, 10:34:52 am
The OP brings up a valid point. The Hogs and the Aggies were playing for 6th and at best 5th place in the SEC West last week. We got beat by a team that played 18 freshmen and it was their freshmen QB that killed us, so that places us in dead last in our division where we'll probably finish (I hope not). AA is still struggling despite making a few nice throws. Do we play for the future of the team starting next game to develop chemistry and experience or do we go with AA the rest of the way and then start complaining next season why Cole Kelly doesn't have a good rapport with the WR's and everything else in between. AA, in my opinion, doesn't strike me as giving the Hogs any edge at the QB position. Cole Kelly, on the other hand, provides an entirely new dynamic that AA cannot match.

We've seen less that 20 plays of Cole Kelley.  I don't know if Cole Kelley is on a level with Mond or not.  If he hasn't beaten out AA in practice, then I doubt that he is.  BB knows more losses to average teams don't help his long term goals.  So if Kelley was actually great, I doubt he'd be sitting for long.  I think Kelley has the chance to be a fine QB, but comparing him to Mond and A&M just because Mond is a freshman doesn't make sense.  Mond may be the best healthy QB for them right now.  We don't actually know if Kelley would be since we don't watch practices and we haven't seen Kelley extensively yet.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: PossumFan on September 26, 2017, 10:38:00 am
While we're at it, let's bench Ragnow too and let the guy who will be snapping to Kelley next year get experience. SMH.
Yes.  Kelley won't have Ragnow next year, so there's no use having him take snaps from a center he won't have.  And the center we do have next year needs to develop chemistry with his QB. Or else we'll be complaining about the lack of chemistry between the center and his primary receiver.

hogsanity

Anyone remember what happened to BA when he had to start as a RS FR in 2012 against Bama?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Can't see Cole Kelley taking snaps under center more than occasionally.

hogsanity

If come the last couple games the Hogs have not shot at a bowl, sure, play him, no reason not to at that point. Also no reason to make him THE GUY right now.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

We don't have Bama like Talent around for that.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

riccoar

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2017, 10:38:18 am
He wasn't used as a backup against A&M.  He was a situational weapon.  That will include his arm as well as his legs.  The TD pass was nothing more than play action.  Next time it may be a sixty yard bomb on third and short. 

There are 9 games left in this season.  Kelley will be used to help win as many of those as possible.  At this point he looks like a difference maker, but not as the starter.   
The situational weapon was what I was getting at.  And for God's sake, PLEASE stop wasting TJ Hammonds talent.

CDBHawg

Cole Kelly isn't a true freshmen.

Bama starts a sophomore.

RME

PorkRinds

Hurts was the first true freshman QB at Alabama in 30 years. Your point is terrible.

Seebs

Started Cole Kelly on my Colecovision  console and he scored infinity points and Arkansas won the 1986 National Championship. Just Sayin.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: hogsanity on September 26, 2017, 10:48:52 am
If come the last couple games the Hogs have not shot at a bowl, sure, play him, no reason not to at that point. Also no reason to make him THE GUY right now.

With the performance of the OL, you do not want a young QB to become scared or timid.  If a dog gets beaten enough, it will simply lay down when someone comes around it.  AA is starting to show some signs of being beaten up every week.

Kelly is bigger and can probably handle few more licks, but it would do him no good long term to be beaten every week.  The situational use is the perfect use for him to gain experience.  The package also gives future opponents something to work on. 

Finally, don't forget that CBB and staff are coaching now for their jobs.  AA still provides the best opportunity to win.  I doubt you see Kelly start unless Long comes out and states that CBB will be here next year come hell or high water. 

hog.goblin

Are you suggesting Cole cover kicks or play linebacker?  Last I checked the offense had scored 43 points, rushed for 200 yards, and passed for 200 yards.

Continue to sprinkle in Cole, add some more passing plays to keep them honest against the run.

1highhog

Quote from: hawganatic on September 26, 2017, 10:22:17 am
So Cole Kelley is twice the size of Austin Allen, yet you think he'll get injured and AA won't?  I'm pretty sure Kelley can take the beating a lot better than Allen, and probably put a few of the other team on the sideline himself.

Unless I'm near sighted and I'm not, Cole Kelly is not twice the size of AA, I know you purposely exaggerated his size somewhat but you missed the point I was making.  Allen can escape the pocket better than he has shown and is faster than Kelly.  Sure, Kelly can take a hit here and there, but do you honestly want to risk hurting his confidence by inserting him as the starter as bad as the line is now?  AA suffered mentally from the physical beating he took last year and it's been evident in these 1st 3 games, he's a shell of what he was last year and really who could blame him.  Even though I'm no longer behind CBB I do support the way they are bringing Cole along bit by bit and not throwing him out to the wolves all at once as you're wanting them to do.

zebradynasty

He's not ready and it's far too early to throw in the towel. Besides QB is not the weak link! There is a difference in taking a hit and getting pounded. Right now big as he is he would get pounded ( just like Allen is) may not hurt as bad because of his size but it's not the type of situation I would throw a freshman in.

1highhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2017, 10:38:18 am

This, ^^^^ the word of reason.

hogsanity

Quote from: hog.goblin on September 26, 2017, 11:22:32 am
Are you suggesting Cole cover kicks or play linebacker?  Last I checked the offense had scored 43 points, rushed for 200 yards, and passed for 200 yards.

Continue to sprinkle in Cole, add some more passing plays to keep them honest against the run.

It is the usual. People ignore the defense because it is boring, defense is boring. I am pretty sure some of these people wet themselves Sat when Kelly came in and ran a couple power plays. They had visions of read option with the QB carrying 20 times a game and throwing 432 bubble screens.

1highhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 26, 2017, 10:46:59 am
Can't see Cole Kelley taking snaps under center more than occasionally.

1st and 10, Kelly under center, drops back 1 step, Sacked!
2nd and 14, Kelly under center, drops back 1 step, Sacked!
3rd and 16, Kelly under center, drops back and immediately gets snowed under by the New Mexico State defense.  See, you thought that was the Bama defense.  Cole as full time starter with him being under center, not a good thing right now.