Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema has Two Problems in Year 5 he Can't Overcome

Started by WilsonHog, September 25, 2017, 12:55:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 25, 2017, 04:58:47 pm
This thread very clearly shows that the problem is either BB and Enos, BB and Rhoades, BB and lack of Shannon, BB and the lack of Pittman, Hargreaves, Rhoades but not Enos, Enos but not Rhoades, or some other individual or group of individuals.  The clarity and precision of the criticism in the thread is clear beyond crystal.
I see one common factor...
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: LA Football fan on September 25, 2017, 01:38:22 pm
The only two problems I see that Bret cannot overcome is the fact in 5 years he hasn't recruited one player that can kickoff regularly into the back of the end zone or out of it.  Bret and his staff have had more than enough time to find someone in 5 years to fulfill that role.  Until he takes kickoffs seriously, he will always be at the mercy of the team we are playing that has the opportunity to run back most every kickoff while we start on the 25 everytime in SEC play. 

The other drawback is not recruiting some safeties that can actually tackle in space and prevent big plays. The reason you give up big play after big play is because your safeties aren't protecting the back end of your defense.  I don't want to hear about how tough it is to recruit because I have seen us play numerous FCS teams that have better safety play than we do.  You would think a light would come on and this staff would get serious about recruiting some bruisers back there that aren't afraid to come up and lay the wood to somebody or some speedsters that at least can keep everything in front of them.
Wut?  You mean you were not impressed with our guy making scratching motions at the Aggie QB on the long TD run, where he supposedly stepped out?  And our guy never tackled him, and still somehow ended up hurt on the play.

Just kidding...you're 100% right...we've got to get some safeties.  We're basically playing 9 against 11 almost.  It's that bad.

moses_007

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 25, 2017, 09:13:18 pm

Bielema needs to rid the staff of everyone who does not have an SEC association. They need to be replaced with SEC people who can identify with SEC players and their family.
I don't necessarily agree with that.  He just has some inferior coaches.  I don't think everyone on his staff needs to have SEC experience.  I doubt there's a single coach in the league that has that.

Boarcephus

I can still recall vividly one reason why Bielema wanted out of Wisconsin.  He said they would not loosen the purse strings enough for him to hire good assistants.  He'd hire one and then that guy would leave for a higher paying job. Now, that is not the problem.  Rhodes may be a defensive wiz but what I find strange is every DC he has had still played the same bend don't break defense.  This just has Bielema's paw marks all over it. 

Now the entire college coaching world knows this may be his last year at Arkansas so the chances of him reaching out and snagging a good assistant coach are slim to say the least.  I still maintain all his success was due to the system Alvarez had in place at Wisconsin and he's no more than a 500 coach on his own and to make matters worse, he's in the toughest conference in the land outside the NFL.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

I have no absolute proof that I am right about this, but from day one of BB, it seems that many of the assistants try to install and operate what he favors but then seems to drift away when they cannot make it work.  So we end up in no mans land with a bit of several different ideas and not much of anything.  Many of the assistants come in, seem to do well for a half season, maybe a season or maybe even nearly 2 seasons, then they just go fail and eventually get replaced.

Think if you are a player in this mess.  You really don't know what to do.  You are young, likely going through this for the first time with no experience to help lead you through.  Some days you could run through a steel plate wall, the next you don't even want to run, period.  Our team reflects this mental state.  We will play hard one game or half game, then go to hell the next.

Our revolving door of assistants leaves the players confused, leaves the assistants confused and likely leaves BB confused.  BB keeps doing the only thing he knows to do, replace the assistants, keep promising the fans things will get better and keep wondering why these players cannot full buy in and go forth.  The answer is him but he doesn't see that so he keeps trying to go forward the only way he knows and it just doesn't work.

hogsolutely

BB previous stop in his 5th year he was 11-3, an the worst season he had there was 7-6.  I don't think he is a bad coach just not an SEC coach.  If he doesn't make changes he should be gone.  This should be unacceptable even by his standards.   

carolinahogger

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 25, 2017, 12:55:12 pm

(2) Bielema and Enos are a marriage of inconvenience. Bielema is a power-run guy. His philosophy has been to base his offense around player development in the offensive line and outstanding running bucks.

That's racist.

Piggfoot

Quote from: moses_007 on September 26, 2017, 02:28:33 am
I don't necessarily agree with that.  He just has some inferior coaches.  I don't think everyone on his staff needs to have SEC experience.  I doubt there's a single coach in the league that has that.
I am sure you're correct but other SEC schools have an advantage that we do not have. They are located in an area filled with NFL type college athletes. We are located in the Boston mountains, far away from the Gulf coast. We need coaches who are familiar with that environment...coaches who are comfortable going into the homes of recruits. Coaches who speak the local vernacular. Coaches who have contacts and relatives, and friends who can steer them toward the right players in the coastal states.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 26, 2017, 08:53:42 am
I am sure you're correct but other SEC schools have an advantage that we do not have. They are located in an area filled with NFL type college athletes. We are located in the Boston mountains, far away from the Gulf coast. We need coaches who are familiar with that environment...coaches who are comfortable going into the homes of recruits. Coaches who speak the local vernacular. Coaches who have contacts and relatives, and friends who can steer them toward the right players in the coastal states.

Correct
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgfan4life

Fix the OL and most of our problems are fixed.  Defense will get better because they won't be on the field as much and will play with more confidence and motivation.  KA is not the answer imo.

farmhawg

Quote from: Hoginsavga on September 25, 2017, 03:23:12 pm
Yep, the wrong mixture of assistants and coordinators is definitely the problem. The same was true for the 2013 season when CBB has the best staff assembled ever at AR, according to Hogville. And then comes 2014, 2015 and 2016 when it became further obvious that upgrades were needed over and over. Maybe if CBB continues to replace assistants and coordinators he may find the right combination in 10 or 15 more years. We have the time and patience for that, don't we?

A lot of fans are now placing a lot of blame on Anderson and they could be right. But, at the same time when CBB finally got in the face of his offensive linemen around the beginning of the fourth quarter there was a dramatic change in the protection AA had in the pocket.

My point is maybe it's not so much the assistants and coordinators as it is the lack of in game coaching by the head coach. Players look up to the head coach as the ultimate word on their performance. This doesn't mean the HC undercuts his staff but does stay involved during the game with face to face contact with the coaches and players. If an assistant or coordinator is offended by this then he is in the wrong job. It's the head coach that has his job on the line.
Its all on the head coach. He has absolutely no idea how to lead.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!