Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I thought Bielema was the Offensive Line Guru

Started by Head, September 25, 2017, 11:30:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

madison

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 25, 2017, 05:01:11 pm
Wisconsin was the place for O-line not due to Bielema, he just kept it going. Alvarez was really still in charge even over Bielema if you ask me.

This is true and false. Wisconsin's offensive line tradition predates Bielema by a long time. But, while Alvarez is the most visible figure at Wisconsin because, well, he's Barry Alvarez, he hasn't had a hand in day-to-day football operations since he stepped aside as head coach. Even as athletic director he puts in more time at his condo in Florida than he does in Madison. Who would put up with all the bull---- involved with coaching if they didn't have to?

Quote from: Kevin on September 25, 2017, 02:45:21 pm
wonder why he did not hire bolstad

He may have tried, but there were probably timing issues. Bostad went to Pitt with Chryst (the two of them are BFFs, along with current Wisconsin OC Joe Rudolph), but then he got the call for the NFL. When he left the NFL he went to Northern Illinois and now he's back at Wisconsin.

In all honestly I think Bielema is a good coach. He recruited good, smart kids who never got into trouble. He won Big Ten titles. He had a really good setup in Madison. There's a system in place that works for the program, and he did a great job putting the pieces into that system. His biggest mistake at Arkansas is trying to replicate that system. Arkansas is not Wisconsin. Maybe he realizes that and figures out what will work. I know he's on the hot seat, but I assume he has a bit of time since he has that gigantic buyout.

I see you can't curse on this board...

twistitup

^^^
Madison knows what he is talking about.....CBB had a system at W - he recruited to that system. That system was not developed by CBB, he just followed it.

CBB doesn't have his own brand at the moment - the system that WAS his brand has failed at Arkansas. He know has to either rebrand himself or try his old system at a new school.

I assume he will attempt to rebrand w Enos - so far it's not working
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: madison on September 25, 2017, 06:13:50 pm
This is true and false. Wisconsin's offensive line tradition predates Bielema by a long time. But, while Alvarez is the most visible figure at Wisconsin because, well, he's Barry Alvarez, he hasn't had a hand in day-to-day football operations since he stepped aside as head coach. Even as athletic director he puts in more time at his condo in Florida than he does in Madison. Who would put up with all the bull---- involved with coaching if they didn't have to?

He may have tried, but there were probably timing issues. Bostad went to Pitt with Chryst (the two of them are BFFs, along with current Wisconsin OC Joe Rudolph), but then he got the call for the NFL. When he left the NFL he went to Northern Illinois and now he's back at Wisconsin.

In all honestly I think Bielema is a good coach. He recruited good, smart kids who never got into trouble. He won Big Ten titles. He had a really good setup in Madison. There's a system in place that works for the program, and he did a great job putting the pieces into that system. His biggest mistake at Arkansas is trying to replicate that system. Arkansas is not Wisconsin. Maybe he realizes that and figures out what will work. I know he's on the hot seat, but I assume he has a bit of time since he has that gigantic buyout.

There's a reason Wisconsin has still had success even after Alvarez retired. Alvarez hires guys that run what HE wants to run and do, keeping the system that works for the program. You're right, Arkansas isn't Wisconsin, that Big 10 ideology won't work in the SEC in the long term. Bielema's seat is hotter than you or any of us think, IMHO, with or without the buyout.

I'm curious what brings a Wisconsin fan to the board.

Boarcephus

It's been said for several years that many player stats are due to the system they're in. It's happened at Baylor, Houston and Florida  to name just a few. I think that can also be the cases with coaches. The gaudy  numbers that Bielma put up at Wisconsin  were due more to Barry's system than anything else but Bielma took credit for his success. I think what we're saying now is Bielema is nothing more than a 500 coach.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteCBB lets his assistants run their spots. Which can be good. But when theyre on different pages and there isnt a cohesive over riding plan it becomes a problem. Hes given them too much freedom and it will cost him now. KA is the worst hire hes made. He believed him when he said he could get it done the 2nd year and kept him.

Before we continue to berate Anderson for the performance of the offensive line, lets try to establish some facts.

Who do we think made the final decision to start Clary as a true freshman, Anderson or Bielema?

I'm guessing it wasn't Anderson's call.

If I'm right about that, then the performance of the offensive line in these first three games lies totally at the feet of Bielema, not Anderson, and thus Anderson is getting a bad rap.

If Clary has been starting and seeing significant minutes at the recommendation of Anderson, then he deserves all the criticism he's getting.

President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

AirWarren

Anderson has to go.

He should be developing merrick and Wallace. Period.

He was quoted at one time that merrick was as close to one of his players at Buffalo as he could get. And it looks like he is wasting his talent.

madison

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 25, 2017, 06:49:19 pm
There's a reason Wisconsin has still had success even after Alvarez retired. Alvarez hires guys that run what HE wants to run and do, keeping the system that works for the program. You're right, Arkansas isn't Wisconsin, that Big 10 ideology won't work in the SEC in the long term. Bielema's seat is hotter than you or any of us think, IMHO, with or without the buyout.

I'm curious what brings a Wisconsin fan to the board.

No. Alvarez just hires who he thinks is the best guy for the job. He hired Gary Andersen who wanted to run a completely different scheme with completely different types of players. It was a bad cultural fit and Andersen left because he didn't want to keep up with Wisconsin's academics.

But the system has proven to work, so anyone hired to coach Wisconsin should ideally stick to it. Hell, it worked through Gary Andersen who is going through hell at Oregon State. Recruit smart players. Get the best in-state kids; the promising ones who are getting MAC or FCS offers, get them on to the preferred walk-on program. Recruit the trenches well (because Wisconsin is filled with big boys). Fill out your roster with under-recruited "diamond in the rough" skill position players. Player development is important, you have to coach up your players. The formula is not always a talent equalizer but it helps Wisconsin compete and in the end, when you're Wisconsin, that's pretty much what you hope for.

As for what brings a Wisconsin fan to this board, I've been curious about the Razorbacks' fans reactions to Bielema and how hot his seat really is. It appears to be on fire. I would ask Arkansas fans, what do you expect from your program? I know BB hasn't provided the greatest results.

IronHog

Quote from: madison on September 25, 2017, 06:13:50 pm

BB is a good coach but he's a bad fit at Arkansas for a variety of reasons......mostly culturally relating to certain players.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: madison on September 25, 2017, 07:37:44 pm
No. Alvarez just hires who he thinks is the best guy for the job. He hired Gary Andersen who wanted to run a completely different scheme with completely different types of players. It was a bad cultural fit and Andersen left because he didn't want to keep up with Wisconsin's academics.

But the system has proven to work, so anyone hired to coach Wisconsin should ideally stick to it. Hell, it worked through Gary Andersen who is going through hell at Oregon State. Recruit smart players. Get the best in-state kids; the promising ones who are getting MAC or FCS offers, get them on to the preferred walk-on program. Recruit the trenches well (because Wisconsin is filled with big boys). Fill out your roster with under-recruited "diamond in the rough" skill position players. Player development is important, you have to coach up your players. The formula is not always a talent equalizer but it helps Wisconsin compete and in the end, when you're Wisconsin, that's pretty much what you hope for.

As for what brings a Wisconsin fan to this board, I've been curious about the Razorbacks' fans reactions to Bielema and how hot his seat really is. It appears to be on fire. I would ask Arkansas fans, what do you expect from your program? I know BB hasn't provided the greatest results.

Most of us like Bielema has a person, seems to care about the players and doing things right off the field. On the field, most of us thought he would bring good O-line play, strong running game, and a defense, which our previous coach lacked. It's now year five and we're still seeing things that shouldn't be happening in year five - whether it's lack of player development, bad schemes, moronic in game coaching decisions. Now, most of us want him gone because we keep losing games that we should be winning. That's the main reason.

What I expect from our program is to be a consistent top 25 team and just at least try to compete with Alabama for a shot to win the West every now and then. Go to bowl games and win them and win our big OOC games. And a return to being a nationally respected football program again. That's just me.

madison

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 25, 2017, 08:13:42 pm

What I expect from our program is to be a consistent top 25 team and just at least try to compete with Alabama for a shot to win the West every now and then. Go to bowl games and win them and win our big OOC games. And a return to being a nationally respected football program again. That's just me.

That's pretty similar to what most Wisconsin fans expect too, and I think it's fairly reasonable. I would hope that Wisconsin can win a few more divisional titles since we don't have Alabama in our division, though.

I reiterate: I think Bielema is a good coach. He just may not be the right coach for Arkansas, just as Gary Andersen was not the right coach for Wisconsin.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: IronHog on September 25, 2017, 07:59:31 pm

BB is a good coach but he's a bad fit at Arkansas for a variety of reasons......mostly culturally relating to certain players.
In other words you have to be a choir boy or a yes sir no sir kind of guy to gain Bielema's favor.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

JethroB.

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 25, 2017, 01:31:40 pm
Dan was released a couple of days ago.

I believe signed to the Lions' practice squat SIAP.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: twistitup on September 25, 2017, 06:19:24 pm
^^^
Madison knows what he is talking about.....CBB had a system at W - he recruited to that system. That system was not developed by CBB, he just followed it.

CBB doesn't have his own brand at the moment - the system that WAS his brand has failed at Arkansas. He know has to either rebrand himself or try his old system at a new school.

I assume he will attempt to rebrand w Enos - so far it's not working

Can BB rebrand? His first year he was so dead set against offences like the spread. When called on it he doubled down with the, "Death Certificates" line.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

IronHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 26, 2017, 07:40:37 am
In other words you have to be a choir boy or a yes sir no sir kind of guy to gain Bielema's favor.

Mostly.

BB has done many things right........but he'll never get over the hump in the SEC if he can't relate to kids that need some tough love IMO.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.