Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

APR issues should now be a thing of the past

Started by HawgAdvocate, June 11, 2013, 01:39:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

The latest annual scores are out, and that 755 that Heath left is now gone. Our new multi-year score is 951. The Hogs most recent single year score is a 977.

http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/blog/robbies-hog-blog/arkansas-exceeds-apr-benchmark-all-sports.html
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

hawgchill

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 11, 2013, 01:39:28 pm
The latest annual scores are out, and that 755 that Heath left is now gone. Our new multi-year score is 951. The Hogs most recent single year score is a 977.

http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/blog/robbies-hog-blog/arkansas-exceeds-apr-benchmark-all-sports.html
Thanks HawgAdvocate for being one of my favorites,
Truth and BS Free factuality ALL the time Sir!     plus 1

FineAsSwine

Good news!!!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

99toLife

Quote from: poloprince on June 11, 2013, 01:54:25 pm
MA is that dude

One thing that CMA will not stand for is skipping class and bad grades.

azhog10

This is good to hear. Now he needs to get on this recruiting trail for next season (anything he could bring in this year would be nice also). That's a huge monkey off their back for sure.

I do have one question and I know HA will set me straight. But isn't this APR score from the 08-09 season through the 11-12? If so, then the season that rolled off would be the 07-08 which would be the first season of Pel's correct? So any issues with that group whether it be transfers, or guys getting cut loose or not making the grades would in part be on Pel correct? Or are we saying that after Pel's first year he had to cut loose all the Heath rift raft and that's why we took a hit?

chiefhawg

Quote from: azhog10 on June 11, 2013, 04:08:42 pm
This is good to hear. Now he needs to get on this recruiting trail for next season (anything he could bring in this year would be nice also). That's a huge monkey off their back for sure.

I do have one question and I know HA will set me straight. But isn't this APR score from the 08-09 season through the 11-12? If so, then the season that rolled off would be the 07-08 which would be the first season of Pel's correct? So any issues with that group whether it be transfers, or guys getting cut loose or not making the grades would in part be on Pel correct? Or are we saying that after Pel's first year he had to cut loose all the Heath rift raft and that's why we took a hit?
This will enable you to look at all D-1 School's APR for the periods used.
http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

BrooklynRoss

Nice! Now, if only I could get my credit score that high ...
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

mizzouman

Quote from: 99toLife on June 11, 2013, 03:51:27 pm
One thing that CMA will not stand for is skipping class and bad grades.
This is the big difference between MA and Nolan.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on June 11, 2013, 04:08:42 pm

This has been discussed many times.

This is the same mess that (6th known guy to turn us down) Dana Altman walked away from. This was a known issue well before Pel was hired.

Is it Pel's fault that not one of Heath's large senior class of Ervin, Weems, Hill, Townes, Thomas, and Hunter graduated on time (if ever)? It would be foolish to think so. How many were even close is not known, but it was enough that Altman insisted on bringing in his own academic team headed by then Creighton AD Bruce Rasmussen to clean up the mess but that move was denied by John White.

Quote"It's not clear if the firing of former coach John Pelphrey helped the school's cause with the NCAA. Pelphrey had been lauded last year by Long and others for helping dig the program out of an APR hole left by Stan Heath."

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/24981/bahn-ncaa-taking-it-easy-on-razorbacks-when-assessing-apr-penalties?page=2
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

southarkhog06

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 11, 2013, 06:39:46 pm

This is the same mess that (6th known guy to turn us down) Dana Altman walked away from. This was a known issue well before Pel was hired.

Is it Pel's fault that not one of Heath's large senior class of Ervin, Weems, Hill, Townes, Thomas, and Hunter graduated on time (if ever)? It would be foolish to think so. How many were even close is not known, but it was enough that Altman insisted on bringing in his own academic team headed by then Creighton AD Bruce Rasmussen to clean up the mess but that move was denied by John White.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/24981/bahn-ncaa-taking-it-easy-on-razorbacks-when-assessing-apr-penalties?page=2
this is kindof old news and off topic but he was the only person that ever made me want to physically assault a senior citizen

Smithian

I think he means the Fortson/Clarke/etc class

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Smithian on June 11, 2013, 10:22:19 pm
I think he means the Fortson/Clarke/etc class

Those guys would be the following year(s). But, we've seen no APR fallout from those departures. Much like UK's players going pro, it appears the heavy majority of Pel's transfers left under good academic standing.

After the 755, we've seen individual year scores of 942, 933, 918, & now 977

Hog Fan...DOH!

Part of the process I'm sure is figuring out how the system works, and making sure your transferring or graduating kids don't hurt the program.  Heath couldn't grasp it... or the rather, the academic support/compliance team at the time couldn't grasp it... and now things are much, much better.

azhog10

I am not trying to argue who the "fall guy" is. I just wasn't sure if it was the mass of players that used up their elgibility and didn't graduate or if it was Pel's signing and ditching of guys. Like McDonald, not sure if Pain ever hurt us, and then that large group of seniors that Pel coached for one season. I am definitely not saying Pel was the reason tehy never graduated. Although I am curious as to why Stan Heath's USF team hasn't ran in to these problems. Also, if those seniors didn't leave in good academic standing then I would believe that some of that does fall on Pelphrey. But them graduating I agree does not.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: mizzouman on June 11, 2013, 06:35:55 pm
This is the big difference between MA and Nolan.

You keep Coach Richardson's name out of your mouth. If you must address him then you damn sure don't call him Nolan, It's Coach Richardson.

Sorry for the rant because I like you as a member here, but Coach Richardson is the best Coach the NCAA has ever known, and I won't let someone from a rival school talk trash on him.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on June 12, 2013, 01:01:09 pm
You keep Coach Richardson's name out of your mouth. If you must address him then you damn sure don't call him Nolan, It's Coach Richardson.

Sorry for the rant because I like you as a member here, but Coach Richardson is the best Coach the NCAA has ever known, and I won't let someone from a rival school talk trash on him.

May not be talking much trash. I've heard that only like 2 of CNR's guys actually graduated.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on June 12, 2013, 11:35:32 am
I am definitely not saying Pel was the reason tehy never graduated. Although I am curious as to why Stan Heath's USF team hasn't ran in to these problems. Also, if those seniors didn't leave in good academic standing then I would believe that some of that does fall on Pelphrey. But them graduating I agree does not.

The likely reason it's been different at USF is because they've got different people running their student-athlete academic oversight programs and whoever Heath's current staff member is who coordinates on their end is doing his due diligence.

At that time, the Razorback Academics basketball wing wasn't exactly a known for their efficiency (e.g., Beverley's tutor doing his homework, Altman's requests, etc)

There's no way that last large group of seniors was going to buckle-down, do a 180, and suddenly shape up over their last season for anyone. Those guys were looking for pro jobs right around the time when SEC play began. They couldn't have cared less.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 12, 2013, 02:21:17 pm
The likely reason it's been different at USF is because they've got different people running their student-athlete academic oversight programs and whoever Heath's current staff member is who coordinates on their end is doing his due diligence.

At that time, the Razorback Academics basketball wing wasn't exactly a known for their efficiency (e.g., Beverley's tutor doing his homework, Altman's requests, etc)

There's no way that last large group of seniors was going to buckle-down, do a 180, and suddenly shape up over their last season for anyone. Those guys were looking for pro jobs right around the time when SEC play began. They couldn't have cared less.
I can live with that. It's good to know that our acedmic advisors to our basketball players turned things around. Shouldn't have to worry about a loss of scholarship for a while.

mhuff

Quote from: hawgchill on June 11, 2013, 02:12:25 pm
  Thanks HawgAdvocate for being one of my favorites,
Truth and BS Free factuality ALL the time Sir!     plus 1

HA, I would have thought that our APR would have recomputed after the year we gave up our scholarship. I thought the cycle was at its end. I thought it was a three year cycle. I know APR is computed every year.

Azhog it helps when people graduate. Are you working with AAU this year. I think you told us before that you were planning to be a coach or asst.... Good for you. Giving people opportunities has been my life's work.

azhog10

Quote from: mhuff on June 13, 2013, 10:29:33 am
HA, I would have thought that our APR would have recomputed after the year we gave up our scholarship. I thought the cycle was at its end. I thought it was a three year cycle. I know APR is computed every year.

Azhog it helps when people graduate. Are you working with AAU this year. I think you told us before that you were planning to be a coach or asst.... Good for you. Giving people opportunities has been my life's work.
No AAU but that's bc I got a JV Head Coach/Varisty Asst job at Desert Edge in Goodyear AZ. They have some really good talent. Elijah Marks plays both football andbasketball and has offers from a few Pac 12 schools as a WR. Freak athlete! But I've had a blast so far and it's always a good time.

TexomaRazorback

It's not smart to have coaches that want players that are committed to being real college students.  I think we need a new AD ASAP.

mhuff

Quote from: azhog10 on June 13, 2013, 12:16:22 pm
No AAU but that's bc I got a JV Head Coach/Varisty Asst job at Desert Edge in Goodyear AZ. They have some really good talent. Elijah Marks plays both football andbasketball and has offers from a few Pac 12 schools as a WR. Freak athlete! But I've had a blast so far and it's always a good time.

Great.... go for it. Keep us posted.

Smithian

Quote from: azhog10 on June 13, 2013, 12:16:22 pm
Running the flex offense?

azhog10

Quote from: Smithian on June 16, 2013, 12:58:51 pm
Running the flex offense?
Nice dig but no. Mostly Power with some 4 out motion. Flex is a wast of time when you factor in the type of defense we play.

azhog10

Quote from: mhuff on June 14, 2013, 11:02:52 am
Great.... go for it. Keep us posted.
Thanks. First summer has been pretty good. We play in a league every Tuesday and Thursday against mostly division 1 schools. We are division 2 and have yet to lose in that league. We have 7 games this weekend and I get to spend my first Father's Day in a gym. Extremely blessed.