Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Khalia Hackett

Started by immahog, April 21, 2015, 10:47:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

immahog

has been givin high praise this off season and I think he will be a big time player for us.  BB has spoke of KH playing the mike postion.... is that only when we bring in toliver at nickle? or is he the starting mike backer ?

No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Wildhog

Quote from: immahog on April 21, 2015, 10:47:49 am
has been givin high praise this off season and I think he will be a big time player for us.  BB has spoke of KH playing the mike postion.... is that only when we bring in toliver at nickle? or is he the starting mike backer ?

He's the starting MLB at this time.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

immahog

Quote from: Wildhog on April 21, 2015, 11:00:41 am
He's the starting MLB at this time.

Thanks....any idea who the 3rd backer is as of now with ellis an hackett?
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

PorkRinds

Quote from: immahog on April 21, 2015, 11:11:02 am
Thanks....any idea who the 3rd backer is as of now with ellis an hackett?

Josh WIlliams I would think. 

Wildhog

Josh is playing sam, Khalia at mike and Brooks at will.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 21, 2015, 11:12:28 am
Josh WIlliams I would think.
Correct. The last time I heard Williams was working at Sam linebacker. That's why you have spring football. It's not unusual for players to be moved around to see what they look like at another position.

I played HS ball with a kid that was a starting linebacker for most of three seasons. With three games left in his senior year the noseguard got hurt and they stuck him there on an emergency basis. It transformed our whole defense. We won all three games. The coaches later admitted they should have tried him there sooner.

MS_HogFan

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 21, 2015, 11:20:06 am
Correct. The last time I heard Williams was working at Sam linebacker. That's why you have spring football. It's not unusual for players to be moved around to see what they look like at another position.

I played HS ball with a kid that was a starting linebacker for most of three seasons. With three games left in his senior year the noseguard got hurt and they stuck him there on an emergency basis. It transformed our whole defense. We won all three games. The coaches later admitted they should have tried him there sooner.

I hope we don't have to move Hackett to noseguard.
SOOIE

Sportster365

Kid stood out to me last year while watching him on special teams. Plays with a lot of desire and seems to have a knack for finding the ball. Good height could probably use a little bulking up but should be very formidable for us at the lb post.

deedster84

Not too bad for the 94th rated safety coming out of HS.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: MS_HogFan on April 21, 2015, 11:50:21 am
I hope we don't have to move Hackett to noseguard.
The SEC is a long way from HS football in the 60's but don't think for a second that there aren't D-1 coaches out there who put players at the wrong position and leave 'em there.

There's a QB at Texas right now that's a good example. Tyrone Swoops would probably make a good tight end.

hawginbigd1

KH is a beast, wouldn't at all be surprised to see him become a  NFL quality LB by the time he is done.

KlubhouseKonnected

Right now they have him penciled in to start in the SEC but do you really think he can Hackett?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HogHomer

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 21, 2015, 03:10:30 pm
Right now they have him penciled in to start in the SEC but do you really think he can Hackett?
Booo

azhog10

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 21, 2015, 02:41:42 pm
Kid stood out to me last year while watching him on special teams. Plays with a lot of desire and seems to have a knack for finding the ball. Good height could probably use a little bulking up but should be very formidable for us at the lb post.
He's 240 plus.....how much bigger do you want him to get?

Razordiddy

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 21, 2015, 03:10:30 pm

Rick Shaeffer?

Sportster365

Quote from: azhog10 on April 21, 2015, 03:28:27 pm
He's 240 plus.....how much bigger do you want him to get?

Just going by what I saw with my own eyes and I hadn't seen him since last year so if he's at 240 now and can still move that's great.

JayBell

It's great that the coaches are excited about him, but I'll wait until the SEC schedule before getting excited.  I know all coaches talk up players that they like, but Bielema's first two years have made me very wary of any offseason or preseason excitement about anybody.  I remember A.J. Derby at quarterback and the entire 2013 linebacker corps.  The coaches tried to cover up those positions as best as they could, but they were exposed pretty badly by real competition.

Wildhog

Quote from: JayBell on April 21, 2015, 03:49:46 pm
It's great that the coaches are excited about him, but I'll wait until the SEC schedule before getting excited.  I know all coaches talk up players that they like, but Bielema's first two years have made me very wary of any offseason or preseason excitement about anybody.  I remember A.J. Derby at quarterback and the entire 2013 linebacker corps.  The coaches tried to cover up those positions as best as they could, but they were exposed pretty badly by real competition.

I trust Robb Smith.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Sportster365

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 21, 2015, 02:51:58 pm
The SEC is a long way from HS football in the 60's but don't think for a second that there aren't D-1 coaches out there who put players at the wrong position and leave 'em there.

There's a QB at Texas right now that's a good example. Tyrone Swoops would probably make a good tight end.

For the guys who like to believe the coaches always knows what's best... should really take another look at this statement. Because this happens on absolutely every level.

Petrino was the only coach in any sport that I've never second guessed his decision making at any time that I can recall. It all seemed to make some sort of sense to me, all but one choice and that was his persistence in going back to Ronnie Wingo. I think he had so much confidence in Ronnie's potential that he just wouldn't let it go. Or either Dennis Johnson was just so far in his dog house that he'd refused to play him given the choice. While their best RB, Knile Davis was wasting away on the bench.

This next statement isn't a popular opinion but it's mine. I think Austin Allen is Arkansas best QB in the stable right now. I think it's a mistake leaving him on the bench while we yet have this much talent on deck. He's proving it in practice, no other QB has come close to his numbers so far this spring. He showed glimpses last spring of his ability to hang in there a make plays despite a little adversity. Sure some of you will say he's doing this in practice against the 2nd team defense, but he also showed he could weather the storm after being thrown to the wolves so to speak for the 2nd half of the Ole Miss game with a 17-0 lead.

Film doesn't lie, his HS film was by far better than any other Razorback QB HS film we have on roster right now. It's the intangibles that stood out to me. Good foot movement, pocket awareness, decision making/ability to think under duress, he may not have the strongest arm but he's shown he can make just about any throw you need him to. The embolden portion is probably the biggest factor for any QB, its what truly separates the winners from the losers. It almost pains me to see him having to sit back and wait behind this.

TennisHawg

I loved Bobbys offense but I second guessed his ability as a HEAD coach every time our defense stepped on the field.

KlubhouseKonnected

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 21, 2015, 04:13:25 pm
For the guys who like to believe the coaches always knows what's best... should really take another look at this statement. Because this happens on absolutely every level.

Petrino was the only coach in any sport that I've never second guessed his decision making at any time that I can recall. It all seemed to make some sort of sense to me, all but one choice and that was his persistence in going back to Ronnie Wingo. I think he had so much confidence in Ronnie's potential that he just wouldn't let it go. Or either Dennis Johnson was just so far in his dog house that he'd refused to play him given the choice. While their best RB, Knile Davis was wasting away on the bench.

This next statement isn't a popular opinion but it's mine. I think Austin Allen is Arkansas best QB in the stable right now. I think it's a mistake leaving him on the bench while we yet have this much talent on deck. He's proving it in practice, no other QB has come close to his numbers so far this spring. He showed glimpses last spring of his ability to hang in there a make plays despite a little adversity. Sure some of you will say he's doing this in practice against the 2nd team defense, but he also showed he could weather the storm after being thrown to the wolves so to speak for the 2nd half of the Ole Miss game with a 17-0 lead.

Film doesn't lie, his HS film was by far better than any other Razorback QB HS film we have on roster right now. It's the intangibles that stood out to me. Good foot movement, pocket awareness, decision making/ability to think under duress, he may not have the strongest arm but he's shown he can make just about any throw you need him to. The embolden portion is probably the biggest factor for any QB, its what truly separates the winners from the losers. It almost pains me to see him having to sit back and wait behind this.
First of all, he's doing that against the second team defense ;)  AA may be the most talented QB on the roster, but I think having a 5th year senior in BA that the offense believes in, and who has proven that he's not turnover prone, is the best way to go this season.  AA's ceiling (hopefully) is higher than BA's, but the experience and leadership that BA brings are invaluable.  I also believe that he is going to have a break out year this year for several reasons- Much better supporting cast, better O-line play, better play calling (I hope), and an OC with a track record of coming into a program with an established QB and helping them have their best season, by far, his first year there.

That being said, I was (still am) furious last season when AA wasn't put in during the Misery game.  I believe with every fiber of my being that if he were put in in the second half that we win that game, and I think it was a slap in the face after he closed out the Ole Miss game for us.  Of course, if we hadn't completely abandoned the run, we may have won it with BA, but I digress. 

You know what the really cool part about our QB situation is, though?  Numbers 1-4 are all 4*s.  You know what else is pretty cool?  We now have a reeeeally good QB coach who can maximize their talent.  And to top it off, we may have the best #2 in the SEC, which just gives me so much comfort and warm-fuzzies :)  The future is bright.  It's a good time to be a Hog fan!
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 21, 2015, 04:13:25 pm

Until you start coaching QB's at Arkansas, sitting in on every meeting with them and going through every practice with them, watching them, coaching them and evaluating them, I prescribe for you a healthy dose of Immodium A-D to treat your symptoms of distress.
Go Hogs Go!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 21, 2015, 02:51:58 pm

The nutt regime wasted Fred talley at corner for an entire year. Don't even get me started on Sacha Lancaster and Brandon holmes.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 21, 2015, 11:20:06 am

When in pee wee football in White Hall we had a dude named 'Chit Chat Kidkul' he was a small Thai kid, but his hands were so fast he could pull the snap from the center's hand 6 out of 10 times. We had no TD's scored on us all year... Sometimes the unexpected at NG is a real thing of beauty...  This is also the same team that Jerome Sprinkle's uncle or cousin Cedric ran rampant for. It was a great year...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgmasta

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 21, 2015, 07:46:46 pm
When in pee wee football in White Hall we had a dude named 'Chit Chat Kidkul' he was a small Thai kid, but his hands were so fast he could pull the snap from the center's hand 6 out of 10 times. We had no TD's scored on us all year... Sometimes the unexpected at NG is a real thing of beauty...  This is also the same team that Jerome Sprinkle's uncle or cousin Cedric ran rampant for. It was a great year...

I wonder what happened to ole chit chat. DII maybe? think he could play linebacker for the hogs ?

JayBell

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 21, 2015, 04:13:25 pmPetrino was the only coach in any sport that I've never second guessed his decision making at any time that I can recall. It all seemed to make some sort of sense to me, all but one choice and that was his persistence in going back to Ronnie Wingo. I think he had so much confidence in Ronnie's potential that he just wouldn't let it go. Or either Dennis Johnson was just so far in his dog house that he'd refused to play him given the choice. While their best RB, Knile Davis was wasting away on the bench.

YES!  Oh my God, yes.  When it came to offense, Petrino obviously knew what he was doing, but I've never disagreed with a coach as strongly as I did with Petrino on Wingo.  For four years he kept him at running back no matter how badly he performed or how better everyone else was.  He may have made it as a running back in the NFL, but he was clearly not a running back in Arkansas' system.

What made it worse, to me, was the fact that Wingo had All-American potential as an H-back.  He had some of the best hands on a team that included Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, Greg Childs and Cobi Hamilton.  If Petrino would've deployed Wingo in the role D.J. Williams vacated, no one could have covered him.

Sportster365

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 21, 2015, 07:21:54 pm
Until you start coaching QB's at Arkansas, sitting in on every meeting with them and going through every practice with them, watching them, coaching them and evaluating them, I prescribe for you a healthy dose of Immodium A-D to treat your symptoms of distress.

Look bro it doesn't take a doctrine in physical education to recognize talent and potential when you see it or to realize when something just isn't there. You just have to know what to look for and observe patterns whether good or bad.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 22, 2015, 09:09:02 am
Look bro it doesn't take a doctrine in physical education to recognize talent and potential when you see it or to realize when something just isn't there. You just have to know what to look for and observe patterns whether good or bad.

Your opinions are at odds with the folks that are actually going to practices and watching the guys compete.  Have you been to any open practices this year so far to see how Austin compares?  Because from what UU and others are saying, your ability to recognize talent and potential may be a bit off.

hawg66

I heard BB a couple of days ago talking about the back-up QB's He bragged on AA, but when asked about Peavey he said he's made great strides, that he might even be...then he caught himself and said let's just call them 2a and 2b.

Next year's QB battle will be fun to watch.  This year's QB is BA.  Accept it.

Sportster365

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 22, 2015, 09:15:57 am
Your opinions are at odds with the folks that are actually going to practices and watching the guys compete.  Have you been to any open practices this year so far to see how Austin compares?  Because from what UU and others are saying, your ability to recognize talent and potential may be a bit off.

I'm feeding off of what I've seen with mine own eyes and the numbers being pushed out from reports. Besides not all reports are the same. Scrimmages that were open to the public brought back quite distinctive views from those of which were provided by the media. Fans have a tendency to keep it real.

ricepig

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 22, 2015, 10:17:27 am
I'm feeding off of what I've seen with mine own eyes and the numbers being pushed out from reports. Besides not all reports are the same. Scrimmages that were open to the public brought back quite distinctive views from those of which were provided by the media. Fans have a tendency to keep it real.

Fans?? Lol, they are the biggest homers alive, or agenda driven.......

Wildhog

I've seen/heard a lot of takes from the open practices, and literally every single one of them says that BA is the best QB on our team, and it isn't even close.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

So you've seen them practice this year?

Sportster365

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2015, 10:19:41 am
I've seen/heard a lot of takes from the open practices, and literally every single one of them says that BA is the best QB on our team, and it isn't even close.

The numbers don't reflect that. Austin's throwing for more yds and completing a much higher percentage of his passes. What else matters.

AugustaHog

Quote from: JayBell on April 21, 2015, 03:49:46 pm
I think the key here is that you are pretty much talking about 2013.  We've recruited and developed players to cover those deficiencies.  Our backup QBs are no longer a problem because Austin and Rafe have developed.  Our LB corps that you referenced from 2013 turned out to be pretty salty in 2014.  We were a long way off in in CBB's first year.  We took great strides last season.  I think we will see similar improvement (not necessarily a 4 game improvement in Ws but that would be great if it did), this season. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2015, 10:19:41 am
All three need to be ready at a moment's notice.  This ain't flag football.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 22, 2015, 10:22:35 am
The numbers don't reflect that. Austin's throwing for more yds and completing a much higher percentage of his passes. What else matters.

Lots of things.  Who runs the offense better?  Who knows the playbook better?  Who gets the most respect from the team?  Who shows better leadership?  Who has more experience?  I could go on, but it won't make any difference.  You watched some HUDL, looked at some stats from PRACTICE, and decided Austin was better.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 22, 2015, 10:25:07 am
Lots of things.  Who runs the offense better?  Who knows the playbook better?  Who gets the most respect from the team?  Who shows better leadership?  Who has more experience?  I could go on, but it won't make any difference.  You watched some HUDL, looked at some stats from PRACTICE, and decided Austin was better.

Who's playing against the first team?  Who's playing against backups? 

The spring game will give us a good look at the backups vs the ones.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2015, 10:26:33 am
Who's playing against the first team?  Who's playing against backups? 

Who's on first?    ???

Kevin

Quote from: hawg66 on April 22, 2015, 09:29:29 am
I heard BB a couple of days ago talking about the back-up QB's He bragged on AA, but when asked about Peavey he said he's made great strides, that he might even be...then he caught himself and said let's just call them 2a and 2b.

Next year's QB battle will be fun to watch.  This year's QB is BA.  Accept it.

i will say right now, it will be no battle
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PorkRinds

Quote from: Kevin on April 22, 2015, 10:34:19 am
i will say right now, it will be no battle

What will it be?

Sportster365

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 22, 2015, 10:22:01 am
So you've seen them practice this year?

game film from the past 4 years and information from practices and scrimmages from that same stretch. Nothing has really changed much in terms of completion % (8 of 15 for 78 yds) while wearing a green jersey. Patterns observe them. While on the other hand our second string receivers sure seem to be catching a lot more balls thrown there way this spring. AA (8 of 10 for 151 yds) Those numbers are whats expected of an upperclassmen wearing a green jersey... there normal numbers you'd expect all across the country from you starter in the spring. Not 53% completion percentages as a 5th year senior.

ricepig

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 22, 2015, 10:37:29 am
game film from the past 4 years and information from practices and scrimmages from that same stretch. Nothing has really changed much in terms of completion % (8 of 15 for 78 yds) while wearing a green jersey. Patterns observe them. While on the other hand our second string receivers sure seem to be catching a lot more balls thrown there way this spring. AA (8 of 10 for 151 yds) Those numbers are whats expected of an upperclassmen wearing a green jersey... there normal numbers you'd expect all across the country from you starter in the spring. Not 53% completion percentages as a 5th year senior.

Or, the second team secondary can't cover your mother??  There's no contest/competition, but it does give you something to post about. I really expect a battle royale between you and the Rafe option fans next winter, it could be epic.

Sportster365

Quote from: ricepig on April 22, 2015, 10:41:06 am
Or, the second team secondary can't cover your mother??  There's no contest/competition, but it does give you something to post about. I really expect a battle royale between you and the Rafe option fans next winter, it could be epic.

I wouldn't argue one way or the other as of now because I'm not sure what either of them is fully capable of doing. Once CBB gives one the green light over the other and if  that players performance lacks luster chances are ill likely develop an opinion on replacing him. It's all relative to how he does when given the opportunity.

If I were to choose today based on the information I have... I'd choose Austin although I do believe Rafe potentially has the higher ceiling.

Darren DeLoach

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

JayBell

Quote from: AugustaHog on April 22, 2015, 10:23:39 amI think the key here is that you are pretty much talking about 2013.  We've recruited and developed players to cover those deficiencies.  Our backup QBs are no longer a problem because Austin and Rafe have developed.  Our LB corps that you referenced from 2013 turned out to be pretty salty in 2014.  We were a long way off in in CBB's first year.  We took great strides last season.  I think we will see similar improvement (not necessarily a 4 game improvement in Ws but that would be great if it did), this season.

That has literally nothing to do with my point.  I have no doubt that the players currently on the roster are better than the ones in 2013.  I'm just wary about any preseason or offseason praise when they've proven to be so wrong in the past.  I'm not saying they judged the talent poorly.  I'm saying that what they relayed to the media wasn't accurate, whether they really believed it or not.

Hackett may be awesome.  Sprinkle too.  I'm just not going to buy in until I see them prove it on the field.

KlubhouseKonnected

Oh so this is just another Austin Allen thread now...

KlubhouseKonnected

Fans have a tendency to keep it real.

LOL. Real stupid maybe.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on April 22, 2015, 02:22:40 pm
Oh so this is just another Austin Allen thread now...

They can derail 'em so fast it just messes you up... Spring Game GSD in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1....
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.