Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The problem with Ar sports radio

Started by onebadrubi, April 20, 2015, 10:23:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

So I flip it over to the buzz just for a few minutes at about 10 this morning.  Here are pat Bradley and Justin Acri's blunders of the day within the first 15 minutes.

-They think rafe only has 2 years to play, still have not corrected themselves
- were trying to think of the last good/decent receiver we had.  They said "we had those three instate guys" then added Joe Adams to the list.  Could not think of Child's or wright's names. 

That's pitiful. And again it took me 15 minutes to realize why I won't listen to the buzz

Edit: I should say central Arkansas sports radio

razorbackfaninar

The worst thing about it is they have no competition. They never have to get any better, because who else are you going to listen to. The morning show is as bad or worse. The midmorning show you mentioned is terrible, Overtime is a little better.  I listen to drive time because there is nothing else on, and I like Randy, but would it kill the show to have a call screener. Does everyone have to get on and ask the same questions that have been answered a thousand times, and again I don't have a radio show or a column, I'm just a fan, I should never know more about what's going on than someone who is paid to follow sports for a living.

Jim Harris

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 20, 2015, 10:23:54 am
So I flip it over to the buzz just for a few minutes at about 10 this morning.  Here are pat Bradley and Justin Acri's blunders of the day within the first 15 minutes.

-They think rafe only has 2 years to play, still have not corrected themselves
- were trying to think of the last good/decent receiver we had.  They said "we had those three instate guys" then added Joe Adams to the list.  Could not think of Child's or wright's names. 

That's pitiful. And again it took me 15 minutes to realize why I won't listen to the buzz

Edit: I should say central Arkansas sports radio

I'll be on with them at 11:06 a.m. Tuesday. I'll get the Rafe Peavey classification issue corrected for you. Call in.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

fishes2000

thats why i used to listen to game on. At least they talked sports. refuse to listen to buzz except when hogs on. Listen to tyler wilson derek ruscin and tommy craft in mornings on tune in app. for the buzz to be sports talk it seems until overtime sports is the last thing they talk about.

woo.pig

Its entertainment, pop culture, local goings on with sports mixed in. The Zone and SWNN dont claim to be sports shows.

presidenthog

Quote from: woo.pig on April 20, 2015, 04:22:06 pm
Its entertainment, pop culture, local goings on with sports mixed in. The Zone and SWNN dont claim to be sports shows.
Well they are terrible shows. They probably shouldn't claim being entertainment either cause I get none from listening.

The Boar War

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on April 20, 2015, 10:37:21 am
would it kill the show to have a call screener. Does everyone have to get on and ask the same questions that have been answered a thousand times,

You're operating under the assumption that these callers are actually interested in having a question answered.  I believe a good number of them just want to talk to someone or hear themselves on the radio. 

98hogs

The Buzz made me appreciate satellite radio

DownTownHawg

The problem with central Arkansas sports radio is that there is none . DTS in the afternoon is Ok sometime but i miss 93.3 in the morning and Bo in the afternoon . I tried 96.3 this morning but got mostly static ... sucks !

WPS

hawgsmellgud

UnleSs it is a hog game my radio will not hit the buzz. Hell I listen to NPR now.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

DownTownHawg

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on April 20, 2015, 08:39:27 pm
UnleSs it is a hog game my radio will not hit the buzz. Hell I listen to NPR now.

Tru dat in the Hog game

HF#1

The Morning Rush - ESPN App
Sports talk with Bo - 92 the fan Iheart radio
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

onebadrubi

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 20, 2015, 09:37:44 pm
.....who are so annoying on-air, they get a commercial.

You mean DUBBBBBAbeees

tusksincolorado

Well this thread is going to be 20+ pages long....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

pigture perfect

As someone who travels in a multi-state area, I assure you we have it better than most. There are some large cities that have no local sports radio and national stuff is usually on staticy AM.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

onebadrubi

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 20, 2015, 11:33:17 pm
As someone who travels in a multi-state area, I assure you we have it better than most. There are some large cities that have no local sports radio and national stuff is usually on staticy AM.

I travel through every state around Arkansas except Kansas.  They have the buzz beat everywhere I can think of. 

TrueBlue

razorbacker3

What's really funny is how the ones complaining about the radio shows listen to these stations or shows. If I disliked them as much as most on here, I would turn them off. Yes, they make many mistakes. I loved Matt Jones as a player, but, he is one of the worst radio hosts out there. He makes as many mistakes on the air as any. Yet I still listen. None of them are so bad I don't listen. Hell, I get a kick listening for mistakes. We still get a ton of info that we wouldn't get if there were no sports talk radio.
Haters gonna hate.

lefty08

The only show on the buzz I can't listen to Is Jones and a Schaap from 1 to 4. Acri's show isn't necessarily just a sports show. There isn't enough news to go around about just the hogs to do 3 hours a day, else it turns into one of the monotone boring shows I hear elsewhere. If you want 24 hour sports you won't hear hog talk
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

mizzouman

My problem with Sports Talk Radio in Arkansas, is that it really isn't sports talk but it's more Razorback Sports Talk and not much intelligent talk about sports outside the state.

Having said that, I understand and completely agree as to why.  They want to have programming that listeners want to listen to.  However, the 'personalities' they have on air are big time Razorback fans.  They grew up in Arkansas or have played at Arkansas or has some connection with the Razorbacks with the exception of Acri.

So, you will always get a one sided version of what's happening.  There is no objectivity at all.  It's almost like everyone on the radio is afraid of saying anything negative for the fear of getting fired or blackballed by the University.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: mizzouman on April 21, 2015, 07:51:59 am
My problem with Sports Talk Radio in Arkansas, is that it really isn't sports talk but it's more Razorback Sports Talk and not much intelligent talk about sports outside the state.

Having said that, I understand and completely agree as to why.  They want to have programming that listeners want to listen to.  However, the 'personalities' they have on air are big time Razorback fans.  They grew up in Arkansas or have played at Arkansas or has some connection with the Razorbacks with the exception of Acri.

So, you will always get a one sided version of what's happening.  There is no objectivity at all.  It's almost like everyone on the radio is afraid of saying anything negative for the fear of getting fired or blackballed by the University.
Or it could be that they don't freak out like a lot of people posting here every time Arkansas loses a game.

This, afraid of the university, stuff is ignorant. Nobody in the media (including radio hosts and co hosts) is afraid of anybody at the U of A.

Hawgndaaz

104.3 works in Conway. Morning Rush and Bo's show are both on that channel right now.

Darren DeLoach

Bo brings in many outside voices to lend another view of the program here, our opponents, and nationally.

And I live in Missouri, same thing here. All local sports, which is expected. While in Memphis, I could hear a more well rounded SEC coverage, but that was due to Memphis' centralized location.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mike Irwin

As hard as it is to believe, in this state fans who spend a lot of time on the Internet do not generally represent the same viewpoint as typical Razorback fans.

Look no further than Rainwater's show as proof. It's widely panned on Hogville but it's far and away the most popular sports call in show in the state for a reason. It's a positive show. A show for homers.

Laugh at Rainwater all you want. He's laughing all the way to the bank. So is Rick.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on April 21, 2015, 08:32:37 am
Bo brings in many outside voices to lend another view of the program here, our opponents, and nationally.

And I live in Missouri, same thing here. All local sports, which is expected. While in Memphis, I could hear a more well rounded SEC coverage, but that was due to Memphis' centralized location.

That's one of the best things about Bo's show.  The big problem with most of the sports coverage here, whether it's the paper, tv, or radio, is that stories generally lack context.  How does what's happening in Fayetteville or Jonesboro fit in with the regional or national picture?  I think some of that echo-chamber effect is what causes people to be so disappointed sometimes.

You can even see it in microcosm in high school sports.  If you tune into the Friday night scoreboard show, you'll hear the scores, and you'll hear endless, mostly colorless, call-in interviews from coaches.  What you mostly won't hear is how these games affect the conference or playoff picture.

I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't take much of a change to make most of these outlets great.  There are talented people working in them.  But focus and context is often lacking. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on April 21, 2015, 08:32:37 am

And I live in Missouri, same thing here. All local sports, which is expected.

I find this to be the case, generally speaking, for most of my travels.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

GuvHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 21, 2015, 08:42:56 am
As hard as it is to believe, in this state fans who spend a lot of time on the Internet do not generally represent the same viewpoint as typical Razorback fans.

Look no further than Rainwater's show as proof. It's widely panned on Hogville but it's far and away the most popular sports call in show in the state for a reason. It's a positive show. A show for homers.

Laugh at Rainwater all you want. He's laughing all the way to the bank. So is Rick.

Well said Mike. Randy's show is caller driven even when on rare occasions he has a guest. I don't necessarily agree with Randy, Marcus, or Rick 100% of the time but I do enjoy nearing their take on Hog sports when I have the time to tune in. I will admit that Bo's show is a bit better though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogarusa

Agree with one of the comments above, its the callers.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Lanny

I would not like doing a sports show this time of year.  I don't recognize basebore as a sport. Only time for sports talk for me is August to April.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Lanny on April 21, 2015, 11:00:25 am
I would not like doing a sports show this time of year.  I don't recognize basebore as a sport. Only time for sports talk for me is August to April.

This would be a pretty lousy time of year to do it.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Inhogswetrust

It's the same in Memphis radio sports talk. They talk 90% of the time about the Grizzlies, Tigers, Cards and the SEC. MOST of it is tigers and Grizzlies. They are one sided as well. I think that's to be expected when you are in a market dominated by a certain team or teams.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 21, 2015, 08:42:56 am

Exactly. People forget media is a business...............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HungryHog

Since we lost Bo in Little Rock, I have been downloading and listening to his pod casts.  They are updated quickly so they are current (at least in the off season), and no commercials.
My drive home 20-30 minutes, so it works out better for me now.
Come football season, I will want to be live, but surely he will be on in Little Rock by then (stop calling me shirley).

jkstock04

I don't think its that they are afraid...the deal is that they develop personal relationships with certain players and coaches therefore they have a strong bias...and that's why we don't get objective reporting. In my opinion it's not the professional way to go about things. You look at professional sports and I guarantee you most of the time it's not that way.

I'm the type that likes an objective look...not only on sports, but on everything in life. Bo Mattingly is the closest thing we have to an objective radio sports show. I don't see how you could listen to drive time sports. People who listen to that probably also actively still believe in the Easter bunny.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DadVader1

The Central Arkansas market is VERY bad at the moment.  Here's hoping we'll have another option or two by football season.  I SERIOUSLY hope that someone will have the good sense to pick up Wess Moore's "Game On" crew before football season.  I miss those guys and have gone back to music on my commute in their absence.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 21, 2015, 08:33:20 pm
I don't think its that they are afraid...the deal is that they develop personal relationships with certain players and coaches therefore they have a strong bias...and that's why we don't get objective reporting. In my opinion it's not the professional way to go about things. You look at professional sports and I guarantee you most of the time it's not that way.

I'm the type that likes an objective look...not only on sports, but on everything in life. Bo Mattingly is the closest thing we have to an objective radio sports show. I don't see how you could listen to drive time sports. People who listen to that probably also actively still believe in the Easter bunny.
You do realize that except for Ched Carpenter the on air radio people you refer to are almost never around the players and coaches. So how to they develop this strong bias?

The media corp that covers the Razorbacks on a daily basis numbers around 15 people. The majority of them work for newspapers or Internet websites. Six of them work for TV stations. There's not a single central Arkansas radio person that covers the Hogs in person on a daily basis. In fact the only way to do that is to live here and they don't.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 22, 2015, 07:27:56 am
You do realize that except for Ched Carpenter the on air radio people you refer to are almost never around the players and coaches. So how to they develop this strong bias?

The media corp that covers the Razorbacks on a daily basis numbers around 15 people. The majority of them work for newspapers or Internet websites. Six of them work for TV stations. There's not a single central Arkansas radio person that covers the Hogs in person on a daily basis. In fact the only way to do that is to live here and they don't.

Fans have strong biases, yet most of them never meet coaches or players, let alone develop relationships with them.

I think having some bias toward a team of which you're a fan is natural, and it's probably pretty hard to set it aside.  Certainly not impossible, but not necessarily easy, either. 

I don't think there's some grand plot afoot.  I just think it's equal parts succumbing to a natural tendency and catering to an audience.

jkstock04

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 22, 2015, 07:27:56 am

Really I'm referring to the media as a whole....but yes that surprises me that you say ugly uncle is the only on air radio guy ever really be around the coaches and players. Ya I get the central/south Arkansas media not being around them...but Rick Shaffer? Bo Mattingly? I find it hard to believe they don't know the coaches and players on a personal basis.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Sivad

Bo has real guests - interesting and knowledgable sports people.
DTS has - well, you get the sad picture.