Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Video: Bret Bielema Gives Local Teen a Chance of a Lifetime

Started by Jason Carroll, April 15, 2015, 10:20:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Carroll

Arkansas head football coach Bret Bielema made a call on Wednesday giving a Farmington teen a chance to get one step closer to his dream of coaching football.

Dallas Walker, a 14 year old from Farmington, has a form of muscular dystrophy called Charcot–Marie–Tooth disease or CMT. Dallas is no longer able to play football and has a dream of being a football coach when he gets older.

On Wednesday he received a phone call from the Head Hog giving him a chance to come to practice next Thursday and even call a play or two during the Red-White Spring game on April 25th.

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/bret-bielema-gives-back-to-local-teen/22990/IGAArwiSak6blrS8qNIu6A

PORKULATOR

Bret is a damn good man. He's a great coach, but he may just be an even better human.

Glad he's ours
Wps
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Razor6

Quote from: PORKULATOR on April 15, 2015, 11:16:35 pm
Bret is a damn good man. He's a great coach, but he may just be an even better human.

Glad he's ours
Wps

Someone started a thread asking what CBB's legacy would be.

This thread is the answer.

Super Humane Human!
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

FreshHog

Awesome coach, and an even better human being.

WPS
:razorback:

Justifiable Hogicide

Hoggish1

Glad he's ours
Wps

gawntrail

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcot%E2%80%93Marie%E2%80%93Tooth_disease

Young man has a fight on his hands.....

CBB and the UA are doing more than FB with stuff like this.  So good to see the human side of things once in a while and some good being done about it.  Godspeed to Dallas Walker and +1 to CBB and UA for reaching out to him.  Look forward to the follow up story.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hoglady

My daughter and a friend are going to Heber Springs tonight to listen to Coach B.
Anxious to get her thoughts when she gets back.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

OneTuskOverTheLine™

He's the type of guy who could get away with a 'pull my finger' joke in church... Too much charisma...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Senility

Echoing sentiments already expressed here, I am so very proud of Coach Bret Bielema, - - both as a head coach and as a man of character.  Hog fans will hopefully stand behind this exemplary man and accord him their full support without naysaying or ragging on him.

TDHawgs

We are very very fortunate to have him as our coach!! He's a great role model on and off the field!!

DeltaBoy

Glad he's ours
Wps
YES and Burls and Paul are looking down from Heaven and giving Coach 2 thumbs up!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 16, 2015, 12:15:23 pm
  YES and Burls and Paul are looking down from Heaven and giving Coach 2 thumbs up!

Don't forget Uekman.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PORKULATOR

+1 to everyone on this thread. Truly a bunch of educated, decent hogs fans with an understanding that there are things more important than football. AND WE LOVE HOG FOOTBALL, soooo...
Applauds all around, not a negative nelly one on this thread.

Wps
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

OLDHOG

Big man, Big heart. I'm a Big fan. Blessed to have him as our leader. Sooie Pig!

Tequilin' Time

so proud to have this man as our coach!!!  Doing things the right way and remembering we are all human, and that one little effort can mean the world to someone else!!  Great example.

Well done CBB!!

Rzbakfromwaybak

This is very refreshing, to see a man of this character as our football coach.  These kind of things are what the recruits (& parents) that we want to build our program with.....take notice.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Sivad

My admiration for Coach Bielema continues to grow.
And he's a great coach and great fit for Arkansas!

Steef

Lots of good people in the world.

Not nearly as many top tier coaches.

Very few good people who are also top tier coaches.

ShadowTheHedgehog

That is awesome. Love the way coach B. gives back to the community, and is always a class act.

hoghearted

He's been a wonderful face for the program, and a great role model for his players. Good job, CBB.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

DownTownHawg

Quote from: hoghearted on April 16, 2015, 08:29:40 pm
He's been a wonderful face for the program, and a great role model for his players. Good job, CBB.

Hope Coach B is here a Loooong time .

WPS !!!!!

AdvoHogFan70

Quote from: gawntrail on April 16, 2015, 08:59:32 am
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcot%E2%80%93Marie%E2%80%93Tooth_disease

Young man has a fight on his hands.....

CBB and the UA are doing more than FB with stuff like this.  So good to see the human side of things once in a while and some good being done about it.  Godspeed to Dallas Walker and +1 to CBB and UA for reaching out to him.  Look forward to the follow up story.

You are correct.  He does have a fight on his hands but this kid, whom I am proud to call son is ALL HEART.  He doesnt know the meaning of the word quit.  Dallas loves football, the Razorbacks, and Coach B.  LOL, it took two doctors telling him that he could not play football anymore, on the day of his back surgery.  He, has changed his mindset to becoming a coach, and we are here to support him every step of the way.  He is a inspiration to our family and others.  We thank Razorback Nation, the University of Arkansas and Coach Bielema for giving Dallas the chance to make two of his dreams come true.  The two being, Part of the Razorbacks, and being a Coach.  Thanks to all involved for getting this set up for him. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: AdvoHogFan70 on April 17, 2015, 07:51:19 am
You are correct.  He does have a fight on his hands but this kid, whom I am proud to call son is ALL HEART.  He doesnt know the meaning of the word quit.  Dallas loves football, the Razorbacks, and Coach B.  LOL, it took two doctors telling him that he could not play football anymore, on the day of his back surgery.  He, has changed his mindset to becoming a coach, and we are here to support him every step of the way.  He is a inspiration to our family and others.  We thank Razorback Nation, the University of Arkansas and Coach Bielema for giving Dallas the chance to make two of his dreams come true.  The two being, Part of the Razorbacks, and being a Coach.  Thanks to all involved for getting this set up for him.

Awesome, dad! We're all pulling for him to fulfill every dream he could ever want!

gawntrail

Quote from: AdvoHogFan70 on April 17, 2015, 07:51:19 am

Woo Pig to you Sir.  A quote comes to mind...

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory. -George S. Patton

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Sivad on April 16, 2015, 06:34:37 pm
My admiration for Coach Bielema continues to grow.
And he's a great coach and great fit for Arkansas!

Amen Sivad!

duckman

Best coach we have had even if he never wins another game. The only one that compares is Hatfield.  Both are great men.