Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SPRING PRACTICE REPORT: APRIL 14

Started by Ugly Uncle, April 14, 2015, 07:55:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Theolesnort

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 10:29:45 am
I guess I put too much weight on what SP said in an interview a while back about still being short of where we need to be #s-wise for what we are trying to do on the offensive side of the ball.

I'll just get Guv's opinion next time.
Nope, Sam deserves to get it like he wants it. He has it nice now but he wants better and more. Nothing wrong with that. Where we are lacking is the skilled positions. We need better and more. Losing Marshall hurt. To bad he lost focus on what was truly important.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 10:34:01 am
Nope, Sam deserves to get it like he wants it. He has it nice now but he wants better and more.

Our offensive premise depends on us being able to impose our will on other defenses, which is different than Malzahn, Sumlin and Freeze. In order to do that for 4 quarters you need to be big, strong, fairly fast and deep. Our offense scored three times against OM and twice against LSU. Our defense definitely carried the day in both games. He sees it for what it is. Stretching the field this year will help out considerably.
This is my non-signature signature.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 10:40:03 am
Our offensive premise depends on us being able to impose our will on other defenses, which is different than Malzahn, Sumlin and Freeze. In order to do that for 4 quarters you need to be big, strong, fairly fast and deep. Our offense scored three times against OM and twice against LSU. Our defense definitely carried the day in both games. He sees it for what it is. Stretching the field this year will help out considerably.
Brandon was not 100% plus we were to predictable which I am sure you realize too. It will be nice if Austin is good to go this Fall just in case we need him. I like Rafe Peevey too but with him in the offense we need a little read option package. I just don't have a clue as to what Bielema and Enos may think about that.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Sportster365

Great work Ched. very informative. I almost feel as if I was there.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 15, 2015, 10:45:52 am
Great work Ched. very informative. I almost feel as if I was there.
What is truly great about Ched's work is, he is just getting better and better at this.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 10:45:08 am
Brandon was not 100% plus we were to predictable which I am sure you realize too. It will be nice if Austin is good to go this Fall just in case we need him. I like Rafe Peevey too but with him in the offense we need a little read option package. I just don't have a clue as to what Bielema and Enos may think about that.

We'll never see read option in this offense. Neither Enos or Bielema have ever used it. Rafe may want to be a Pro-style QB with good wheels to keep him out of trouble.

Brandon was just fine at the beginning of the season and I would say that he was just fine in the Tejas Bowl. A few games in between he had problems.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 10:48:08 am
We'll never see read option in this offense. Neither Enos or Bielema have ever used it. Rafe may want to be a Pro-style QB with good wheels to keep him out of trouble.

Brandon was just fine at the beginning of the season and I would say that he was just fine in the Tejas Bowl. A few games in between he had problems.

Never say never but you are probably right.

Großer Kriegschwein

I was thinking the same thing as I clicked the POST button. But am comfortable with it nonetheless.

GuvHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 10:48:08 am

Well said. Rafe is indeed a pro style QB with very good wheels. I have to seriously wonder where this "Option" stuff is coming from.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: GuvHog on April 15, 2015, 11:07:54 am
Well said. Rafe is indeed a pro style QB with very good wheels. I have to seriously wonder where this "Option" stuff is coming from.

Because people look at a "Dual Threat" QB and automatically see Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, and Tim Tebow and think that the read-option is the only way to maximize their talents. Troy Aikman was considered "Dual Threat".

Biggus Piggus

Marks is a good player who will be a contributor in time, just like Watts. Very nice interior DL pipeline.

Cornelius - I wonder what his ceiling is. At times he looks the part, but he does not often look like a home run hitter.
[CENSORED]!

lumphog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 15, 2015, 11:16:44 am
Marks is a good player who will be a contributor in time, just like Watts. Very nice interior DL pipeline.

Cornelius - I wonder what his ceiling is. At times he looks the part, but he does not often look like a home run hitter.
I want to see Hawkins (Get It).......He's got potential to be STAR

Theolesnort

Quote from: GuvHog on April 15, 2015, 11:07:54 am
The read option puts tremendous pressure on a defense. Even the pros had problems with defensing it with the new qb's until they did figure it out. Think the San Francisco qb at first then he went south. Still in the college game it is a game changer and in a running offense like ours it would take the predictable out of our offense even without a excellent passing attack. Like a baseball pitcher and a excellent change up pitch. Just saying.I am not saying we should go to a read option offense, no not at all. I love our power game but what I am saying put a little in as a change of pace to give them something else to prepare for and waste some time trying to figure us out.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 10:23:57 am
But, but we are 10TH or 11TH in recruiting in our conference or so some of our resident recruitnics say when quoting the recruiting services. This gives me the opportunity to mount the soap box one more time and refer back to one of my post about recruiting and how far off the services are when they examine us. I made the statement about this Fall and how our players will look on the field compared to various squads in our conference who are rated higher than us. Well looky here we don't even have to wait for the fall because it is evident that even in the Spring with the eye test or the getting off the bus test all of a sudden we look like Alabama, LSU and Georgia. Even Bo Mattingly made that observation several times recently on his show. Marcus Spears on the SEC Network is also becoming a believer and you recruitnics should open your own eyes and throw those recruiting rags in the trash where they belong because that is where they belong. Just a waste of good money. Now I am not saying we have passed Bama and LSU but what I am saying is recruiting is catching up and through development in the weight room and the nutrition program we look like a top SEC program and not a bottom feeder the services say we are. OK I will get off the soap box to talk real football again. Just take another look this Fall and see how much farther we have come. It will just get better and better. Where we do need to improve is in the skill areas.

Preach the truth brother!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Sportster365

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 12:03:51 pm
The read option puts tremendous pressure on a defense. Even the pros had problems with defensing it with the new qb's until they did figure it out. Think the San Francisco qb at first then he went south. Still in the college game it is a game changer and in a running offense like ours it would take the predictable out of our offense even without a excellent passing attack. Like a baseball pitcher and a excellent change up pitch. Just saying.

I agree. It almost seems to be a no brainer. I don't think CBB is completely opposed to the idea either. He's had so much success doing what he does... there's really never been a reason to implement any option packages. Although Wilson has wheels and has developed more into a dual threat QB since being in the league, while at Wisconsin he played much more the pocket passer role.

Take GT for example, I got the chance to watch them against Florida St. and Miss. St... they'd looked really good in both.  They've ran the triple option for a while under Paul Johnson and has faired pretty reasonably in the run game, but until they inserted a true dual threat guy capable of running and throwing with the option of dumping off to one of his three backs their win totals have never really strayed from 6-8 wins per year.

We don't have to run the wishbone but could implement the option out of the I-form. Our Oline and RBs already keep defenses on their toes and cheating... just giving the QB an extra option on the fly would drives defenses up the wall in an offense like ours.

Theolesnort

A little motion added in and even the running backs can benefit from the read option and springing to daylite.

PorkRinds

Sorry guys, but anyone looking for the read option in our offense is likely to be sorely disappointed.  It's just not likely to happen.

Theolesnort

I need to slow down and stop, I am getting hoarse from talking so much in this thread. Back to anonymity, the condition that best suits me if I were honest about it. :D

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: gmarv on April 15, 2015, 08:21:33 am
good stuff uu.i didn,t see tollivers name mention, hows he doing hes not hurt is he?

No, he was out there.  He is playing very well.  He is our nickle back and second string CB behind Deuce and JC. 

He is long and lanky and reminds me of a young Tevin Mitchel.  He might be a step faster than Tevin was.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 15, 2015, 09:05:43 am
If he can step his game up IMO he could be a difference maker.  Would be great to see!!

Man, I'm working at it.  I just try to get 1% better every day.  Wait...you were talking about E.H. weren't you.

My bad.
Retired Radio Host

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 15, 2015, 12:48:59 pm
No, he was out there.  He is playing very well.  He is our nickle back and second string CB behind Deuce and JC. 

He is long and lanky and reminds me of a young Tevin Mitchel.  He might be a step faster than Tevin was.

I felt so bad for him after he got smoked in the face by the throw-away at Cowboy Stadium. My heart just sunk.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 10:47:59 am
What is truly great about Ched's work is, he is just getting better and better at this.

Well, this is now my 10th year to be doing this.  Back when Hogville was only about 4k members and no one else was really doing practice reports. 

Thank you for the compliment.
Retired Radio Host

MuskogeeHogFan

But, but we are 10TH or 11TH in recruiting in our conference or so some of our resident recruitnics say when quoting the recruiting services. This gives me the opportunity to mount the soap box one more time and refer back to one of my post about recruiting and how far off the services are when they examine us. I made the statement about this Fall and how our players will look on the field compared to various squads in our conference who are rated higher than us. Well looky here we don't even have to wait for the fall because it is evident that even in the Spring with the eye test or the getting off the bus test all of a sudden we look like Alabama, LSU and Georgia. Even Bo Mattingly made that observation several times recently on his show. Marcus Spears on the SEC Network is also becoming a believer and you recruitnics should open your own eyes and throw those recruiting rags in the trash where they belong because that is where they belong. Just a waste of good money. Now I am not saying we have passed Bama and LSU but what I am saying is recruiting is catching up and through development in the weight room and the nutrition program we look like a top SEC program and not a bottom feeder the services say we are. OK I will get off the soap box to talk real football again. Just take another look this Fall and see how much farther we have come. It will just get better and better. Where we do need to improve is in the skill areas.

Not sure how my post set you off, but glad I could give you the opportunity. ;) I do agree.
Go Hogs Go!

Ugly Uncle

He IS good.  I have been impressed with his ability to get open.  One of the reasons why I think he might be a big time threat for us is that he is returning punts.  He isn't just back there fielding them, but actually doing something with it when he catches it. 

No one is a homerun hitter until they hit a homerun though...and he hasn't done it yet.  So, like you I am a little skeptical until he proves it.
Retired Radio Host

Arthur pigby sellers.

But, but we are 10TH or 11TH in recruiting in our conference or so some of our resident recruitnics say when quoting the recruiting services. This gives me the opportunity to mount the soap box one more time and refer back to one of my post about recruiting and how far off the services are when they examine us. I made the statement about this Fall and how our players will look on the field compared to various squads in our conference who are rated higher than us. Well looky here we don't even have to wait for the fall because it is evident that even in the Spring with the eye test or the getting off the bus test all of a sudden we look like Alabama, LSU and Georgia. Even Bo Mattingly made that observation several times recently on his show. Marcus Spears on the SEC Network is also becoming a believer and you recruitnics should open your own eyes and throw those recruiting rags in the trash where they belong because that is where they belong. Just a waste of good money. Now I am not saying we have passed Bama and LSU but what I am saying is recruiting is catching up and through development in the weight room and the nutrition program we look like a top SEC program and not a bottom feeder the services say we are. OK I will get off the soap box to talk real football again. Just take another look this Fall and see how much farther we have come. It will just get better and better. Whe

re we do need to improve is in the skill areas.
In regards to recruiting, our biggest "reach" last year was Willie Sykes.  He was offered the  last weekend and committed here  sight unseen
He was committed to Nebraska when he flipped to Arkansas. 
In the past we filled out class by stealing recruits from A State, La tech etc. 
Our classes now are full of solid SEC recruits with a few superstars sprinkled in.  Unfortunately quite a few other SEC schools are tearing it up as well. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 15, 2015, 12:53:59 pm
Man, I'm working at it.  I just try to get 1% better every day.  Wait...you were talking about E.H. weren't you.

My bad.

Mmmm, Ched, based on what I've seen so far this spring, you're ALREADY stepped your game up a couple of notches!!

Seriously, I appreciate these reports so much!!  It gives me at least a little feeling, if even briefly, that I'm back home in NWA!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PaintballHog

The numbers don't lie when it comes to recruiting rankings. Is it a perfect science? No, but there are still very strong correlations that indicate the better recruits = better chances on winning. With that said, we also have the best HC in developing talent. Wiscy, largely under BB, was found to "do more with less" than anybody by a pretty wide margin. This will almost cover any recruiting disadvantages we may have compared to our SECw rivals, but to keep improving our recruiting classes, like it has under BB, will help just as much as development.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on April 15, 2015, 01:23:00 pm
In regards to recruiting, our biggest "reach" last year was Willie Sykes.  He was offered the  last weekend and committed here  sight unseen
He was committed to Nebraska when he flipped to Arkansas. 
In the past we filled out class by stealing recruits from A State, La tech etc. 
Our classes now are full of solid SEC recruits with a few superstars sprinkled in.  Unfortunately quite a few other SEC schools are tearing it up as well.

Sykes may pay dividends more than just his play. RD tidbits has him to be close friends with the third best OLB recruit in Texas. Sykes has been recruiting him hard apparently.

gmarv

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 15, 2015, 12:48:59 pm

thanks uu.i look forward to your practice reports they are always well done.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 15, 2015, 02:12:51 pm
The numbers don't lie when it comes to recruiting rankings.

Of course they lie -- those numbers come out of the minds of human beings.  Humans are biased, incorrect, dishonest, self-serving, and often times lazy.

The proof these numbers often do lie is how the rankings change so drastically when some sportswriter goes back and re-evaluates those classes years later.  There may be some similarities, but there are much more differences.

snoblind

April 15, 2015, 03:02:02 pm #80 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:12:17 pm by snoblind
Quote from: Theolesnort on April 14, 2015, 10:39:25 pm
Well Ched I came to the same conclusion last Sat after watching the scrimmage. Like I said, I am a old oline man myself, I just watch them constantly but it begin to dawn on me that this dline was looking almost superb and as good as the oline is I can't say the same about them, at least not just yet. Then you throw in the depth of the dline and you just shake your head in amazement. I will add this, after decades of watching Razorback football I can remember on the dline Billy Ray Smith JR and Dan Hampton at the tackles and that line was superb but the dline this year has better defensive ends and it is much deeper than what the Holtz team had. My thinking is this current dline is just scratching the surface of what may be coming. Could be I am just getting carried away, but then this might be something that should carry you away and get you enthused.

IIRC, Hampton's last year was 78.  Billy Ray was a freshman in 79.  Thought BR played DE and a bit of LB.  You are correct about depth.  Been watching the Hogs since 64 and I never thought we could sub the whole DL without a huge drop off.  I'm not there yet, but pretty close.

If that's drinking the kool aid then pour me another glass.

PaintballHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 15, 2015, 02:57:54 pm
Of course they lie -- those numbers come out of the minds of human beings.  Humans are biased, incorrect, dishonest, self-serving, and often times lazy.

The proof these numbers often do lie is how the rankings change so drastically when some sportswriter goes back and re-evaluates those classes years later.  There may be some similarities, but there are much more differences.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21641769

ricepig

Quote from: snoblind on April 15, 2015, 03:02:02 pm
IIRC, Hampton's last year was 78.  Billy Ray was a freshman in 79.  Thought BR played DE and a bit of LB.  You are correct about depth.  Been watching the Hogs since 64 and I never thought we could sub the whole DL without a huge drop off.  I'm not there yet, but pretty close.

If that's drinking the kool aid then pour me another glass.

Correct, that was my time up there, they didn't play together.

snoblind

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2015, 03:21:30 pm

:)

I'd gathered from your posts over the years we were probably there around, if not exactly, the same time.  An excellent time to be hanging out on the Hill.

ricepig

Quote from: snoblind on April 15, 2015, 03:31:28 pm
:)

I'd gathered from your posts over the years we were probably there around, if not exactly, the same time.  An excellent time to be hanging out on the Hill.

76-80, I almost walked on, but had a couple of fraternity brothers that did/were, and advised against it. Probably the best advice I received from them, lol.

snoblind

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2015, 03:36:54 pm
76-80, I almost walked on, but had a couple of fraternity brothers that did/were, and advised against it. Probably the best advice I received from them, lol.

77-82, I was on the extended plan with a major in partying too much.  I grew up with 3 guys in Fort Smith that were freshmen fall of 77.  3 best football players that I had played with/against growing up in that town.  Watching how they fared let me know really quick just how good that team was.

SoCal Hog

Is there anything to report on the progress of the kickers?  :razorback:
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

onebadrubi

Which one you referring too?  Jared Cornelius or Floyd

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 15, 2015, 02:57:54 pm

Sure they're relative but look at how well recruiting rankings correlate to win %.  It isn't perfect but recruiting rankings are a solid predictor of on-field success. 
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 12:41:23 pm
I need to slow down and stop, I am getting hoarse from talking so much in this thread. Back to anonymity, the condition that best suits me if I were honest about it. :D
I want to say the exchanges between you and grober in this thread are, imo, what this board is about. A couple of guys talking football, maybe with a few differences of opinion, but with no animosity or juvenile put downs.

Maybe we will see more of that going forward. Well done.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: golf2day on April 15, 2015, 04:17:52 pm
I want to say the exchanges between you and grober in this thread are, imo, what this board is about. A couple of guys talking football, maybe with a few differences of opinion, but with no animosity or juvenile put downs.

Maybe we will see more of that going forward. Well done.

Too bad jump ball will be like this for a while: Meltdown City.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: SoCal Hog on April 15, 2015, 03:52:38 pm
Is there anything to report on the progress of the kickers?  :razorback:

Not really.  I didn't see them kicking on Tuesday. 
Retired Radio Host

HogHomer

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 15, 2015, 03:56:52 pm
Which one you referring too?  Jared Cornelius or Floyd
Jared. Floyd hasn't been practicing due to injury

Oklahawg

Note also that this is a rather shallow senior class - so much of this talent is young.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bennyl08

I missed the read option part of this thread, but if practice time wasn't such an issue, I would this would be a great year for some read option. Defenses will be keying in on JWill and Collins. Nobody would really expect Brandon to keep it and if he gets an opening, he has the wheels to do some damage. Not talking about making it a staple of the offense. However, sprinkle in 2-5 of them a game (some games zero, depends on the feel), and it forces defenses to stick to their reads and play honest a bit. However, the offense has to practice running it and that takes time which means we wouldn't be practicing other things, so read option isn't as much of a priority.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Theolesnort

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2015, 03:21:30 pm
I have been watching since the early 50's. Pardon my senility. Jimmy Walker and Dan Hampton was the tandem and yes they were darned good as a line. I used to be at the practices all the time and I can remember thinking they were something. Some times my memory transposes things but if I remember right and as you know I don't always they both made all America teams in 78?

Theolesnort

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 15, 2015, 09:31:56 pm
I missed the read option part of this thread, but if practice time wasn't such an issue, I would this would be a great year for some read option. Defenses will be keying in on JWill and Collins. Nobody would really expect Brandon to keep it and if he gets an opening, he has the wheels to do some damage. Not talking about making it a staple of the offense. However, sprinkle in 2-5 of them a game (some games zero, depends on the feel), and it forces defenses to stick to their reads and play honest a bit. However, the offense has to practice running it and that takes time which means we wouldn't be practicing other things, so read option isn't as much of a priority.
Now that is what I am talking about but not for Brandon but for Rafe in another year or so. The read option is not the triple option and would not be that hard to install as a change of pace package.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 15, 2015, 10:07:11 pm
Now that is what I am talking about but not for Brandon but for Rafe in another year or so. The read option is not the triple option and would not be that hard to install as a change of pace package.

Did beilema ever run it at Wisconsin with Wilson?  If not I wouldn't bet on seeing it here.  I honestly don't know the answer thoufh

MissippHog

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 15, 2015, 02:12:51 pm
The numbers don't lie when it comes to recruiting rankings. Is it a perfect science? No, but there are still very strong correlations that indicate the better recruits = better chances on winning. With that said, we also have the best HC in developing talent. Wiscy, largely under BB, was found to "do more with less" than anybody by a pretty wide margin. This will almost cover any recruiting disadvantages we may have compared to our SECw rivals, but to keep improving our recruiting classes, like it has under BB, will help just as much as development.
I think you're partially right.  I don't think it's necessarily a case of CBB doing more with less.  I think he's just really, really good at identifying players that perfectly fit his system.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 15, 2015, 11:19:00 pm
Did beilema ever run it at Wisconsin with Wilson?  If not I wouldn't bet on seeing it here.  I honestly don't know the answer thoufh

They apparently ran it occasionally with Wilson at Wisconsin. Whether that came from scrambling or designed plays, I'm not sure, but he did have a net 338 yards rushing and 6 TD's that year on 79 carries, about 4.3 yards per carry.
Go Hogs Go!