Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What will CBB's legacy be ?

Started by vbgonz46, April 13, 2015, 09:36:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IMO HDN was an average 6-7 win coach. As many down years as good years. CBP was an average 8-9 win coach, with less down years and maybe as many SECCG's as HDN.  What will CBBs legacy be?

Similar to HDNs?
9 (4.4%)
More like CBPs?
23 (11.3%)
Worse than both?
2 (1%)
9-10 wins with more trips to SECG?
130 (64%)
WTH?
39 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Mike Irwin

1. Hired a staff that can recruit.
2. Didn't own a motorcycle.
3. Didn't play politics with his players.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 15, 2015, 02:03:35 pm
1. Hired a staff that can recruit.
2. Didn't own a motorcycle.
3. Didn't play politics with his players.

1. So far.
2. fact
3. not so far

HillBillyHogfan

Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

TeedupHigh

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on April 15, 2015, 01:43:53 pm
His blackjack table legacy will always supersede his football legacy

This!  I would take this as my legacy any day!  She makes the motorcycle girl look like a, well a volleyball player!  beat the hell out of wins and losses!

PorkRinds

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on April 15, 2015, 02:08:15 pm
#3?  Elaborate?

We're talking about his legacy, which means what will he be known for when his time is over.  There's no telling what could happen in the next decade if he's here that long.  Coaches are people, and I don't put anything past anyone honestly.  Not saying it's likely, just that it could happen.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 01:55:18 pm
so BP gets credit for PP's playcalling and JLS's lack of leadership?  I don't think so.  We will never know what would have happened if BP stayed.  You are only speculating and I know that must hurt...

Did you read my post. I wrote that i was speculating. Geez man, reading comprehension on line 2.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 15, 2015, 01:53:52 pm
Nutt coached an avg of 12.3 games per season.
7.5 wins 4.8 losses
Petrino coached an avg of 12.75 over his 4 seasons.
8.5 wins 4.25 losses

You're counting bowls and SEC Championship Game appearances. You're right when you do that. If only Petrino could have made the SEC Championship Game just once in his 4 years here.....

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 15, 2015, 03:07:30 pm
You're counting bowls and SEC Championship Game appearances. You're right when you do that. If only Petrino could have made the SEC Championship Game just once in his 4 years here.....
Also couldn't come as close to beating Saban in four years and CBB did in two, either.

Plus, Petrino was a slime ball who made the football offices toxic and poisoned our good will around the nation. We seem to be forgetting that little fact.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 01:55:18 pm
so BP gets credit for PP's playcalling and JLS's lack of leadership?  I don't think so.  We will never know what would have happened if BP stayed.  You are only speculating and I know that must hurt...

BP gets credit for letting his wang get the better of him, which I might add, definitely effected is ability to implement HIS plan during spring and fall camps of 2012. Everyone that knows anything about BP is that he was a one man show on the offensive side of the ball. HE PISSED AWAY HIS 2012 SEASON, and due to his timing there wasn't much of anything that anyone could do about it once he embarrassed the University. I would have been fine with him staying (but there would had to have been penalties for the embarrassment caused), but after his fling was hired as a direct-report member of his staff he had to go.

It is what it is. After a year of trying to hold together what we could for the players we were forced to go in a different direction. CBB wasn't on the market really as a coach looking for a job, but it worked out in the long run.

If you can't see the schematic differences between CBB & HDNs offenses, then there is not much anyone can do to explain it to you. Running the football is not just running the football, passing the football is not just passing the football. Much more going on than that. YOu've been griping about this since the day that BP was fired and you pop in occasionally to voice your angry displeasure of everything CBB.

PS. Hatfield still has the best winning percentage in Razorback football history.
This is my non-signature signature.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 15, 2015, 03:07:30 pm

Yes I am because those are games that counted.

Apparently we still have the division in MMQB between the Petrino fans and others and you are making a defense as if I'm on that extreme pro-Petrino side.  I'm not.  I posted their numbers as part of the conversation.  Someone earlier in the thread had mentioned avg wins per season.  I've had enough of weird defensive posts from JB to have to deal with it in MMQB.  Earlier in the thread, I gave my thoughts on the difference between Petrino and Nutt and how I believe we are in a better situation with Bielema. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bigbadhog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 03:17:36 pm
BP gets credit for letting his wang get the better of him, which I might add, definitely effected is ability to implement HIS plan during spring and fall camps of 2012. Everyone that knows anything about BP is that he was a one man show on the offensive side of the ball. HE PISSED AWAY HIS 2012 SEASON, and due to his timing there wasn't much of anything that anyone could do about it once he embarrassed the University. I would have been fine with him staying (but there would had to have been penalties for the embarrassment caused), but after his fling was hired as a direct-report member of his staff he had to go.

It is what it is. After a year of trying to hold together what we could for the players we were forced to go in a different direction. CBB wasn't on the market really as a coach looking for a job, but it worked out in the long run.

If you can't see the schematic differences between CBB & HDNs offenses, then there is not much anyone can do to explain it to you. Running the football is not just running the football, passing the football is not just passing the football. Much more going on than that. YOu've been griping about this since the day that BP was fired and you pop in occasionally to voice your angry displeasure of everything CBB.

PS. Hatfield still has the best winning percentage in Razorback football history.

Hatfield would have been terrible in the SEC.  Chocked anytime competition was tough...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 05:55:02 pm
Hatfield would have been terrible in the SEC.  Chocked anytime competition was tough...

That's as solid a argument as I've ever heard. Very factual and backed up by evidence.

76% winning percentage is something no other coach has at Arkansas. But you're right he sucked and lost against all the tough teams.

SMH

bigbadhog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 06:11:21 pm
That's as solid a argument as I've ever heard. Very factual and backed up by evidence.

76% winning percentage is something no other coach has at Arkansas. But you're right he sucked and lost against all the tough teams.

SMH

Were you at the Miami and Texas games in LR in 1987 and the Texas game in Fayetteville in 1985?  The cotton bowl against UCLA with the perfectly balanced offense of 21 yards rushing and 21 yards passing?  This will be a short discussion.  Hatfield should have been fired after the 1987 season and many thought so...

vbgonz46

April 15, 2015, 07:15:02 pm #63 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:48:05 pm by vbgonz46
I think he will have an 8-9 win average with as chances at BCS bowl games as BP would have  and maybe 1 or 2 more Seccg's as HDN. And that I would be happy with . 
Date Registered:  December 10, 2004, 12:43:54 AM

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 06:45:21 pm
Were you at the Miami and Texas games in LR in 1987 and the Texas game in Fayetteville in 1985?  The cotton bowl against UCLA with the perfectly balanced offense of 21 yards rushing and 21 yards passing?  This will be a short discussion.  Hatfield should have been fired after the 1987 season and many thought so...

I was in the stands for Tejas and Miami. I watched the game. The '87 Miami team was one of the best teams of all time. I also watched the '88 game against Miami where we nearly beat them at Orange Bowl stadium. Lost by a field goal to the team that finished ranked 2nd in the country.

As for the Texas game, well let's just say Right 53 Veer Pass isn't my favorite play to watch. You win some and lose some. I'm surprised we got Hatfield to Fayetteville. Hell, we had to call in favors to hire Ford (didn't a coach worth his salt want to work for JFB after Hatfield, but that's my opinion).

Frank Broyles had less than a 50% bowl record.

Should have been fired according to you. And you obviously think we should win every game every year. Losing is part of the game. Some people are sore losers, and some are not. You sir, are the former.

PorkSoda

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 14, 2015, 01:38:52 pm
Impotent pole.
Quote from: RazorPiggie on April 15, 2015, 02:01:01 pm
This thread turned to crap really quick.  Kinda dumb to discuss legacy after 2 years.
this thread was crap from the beginning.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

I voted "more like BP's" only because he still has some work to do to win 10 games.  But dammit, this cat just might know what he's doing (I know, I know...no smart ass remarks needed).  If he wins 9 games or better next year then I'll admit that I was totally and completely wrong about him.

Well, probably.             :P

Choctaw Hog

A caring person, a builder of great men, a great coach. In short, an uncommon man. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

SMH

Hatfield was a great man and a very good coach but his winning % is skewed because most of the SWC was on probation during his time here.

Hollywood_HOGan45

We can't really judge Bret on what he will do in the future just based on two seasons here.
But what we can do is point to a program that showed unbelieveable improvement.

We went from a team that couldn't score (2013) to a team that wouldn't let the other team score (2014).

thirrdegreetusker

he sucked and lost against all the tough teams.

Going on the road, to play a national power (Miami), a team that had been ranked #1 for seven weeks that season, and losing by 2 late, because your best player flat-out dropped a game-winning interception..............sorry, that ain't "choke" or "suck".....

Tell you what, if you ever see Steve Atwater in the airport, go tell him "You guys sucked!!"

tampahog

Hatfield was consistently above average but was never going to bring us to an elite level (by elite, I mean truly competing for a NC).    He reached his ceiling here. 

thirrdegreetusker

Looking at the press guide, KH and BP seem to have a lot in common. Ran a somewhat unusual offense for that particular time, won a lot of games, but failed to notch wins against top 5 opponents. Neither KH nor BP ever won a game against a top 5 team at UA.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 06:45:21 pm
Frank thought so. However a year later thousands of Hog fans in Dallas chanted at a Cotton Bowl pep rally, "Please don't go. Please don't go," because word had circulated that Hatfield was leaving for Georgia.

By the time he left for Clemson a year after that there was virtually no evidence that anything more than very small segment of the fan base wanted Hatfield gone.

GuvHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 09:21:07 pm
I was in the stands for Tejas and Miami. I watched the game. The '87 Miami team was one of the best teams of all time. I also watched the '88 game against Miami where we nearly beat them at Orange Bowl stadium. Lost by a field goal to the team that finished ranked 2nd in the country.

As for the Texas game, well let's just say Right 53 Veer Pass isn't my favorite play to watch. You win some and lose some. I'm surprised we got Hatfield to Fayetteville. Hell, we had to call in favors to hire Ford (didn't a coach worth his salt want to work for JFB after Hatfield, but that's my opinion).

Should have been fired according to you. And you obviously think we should win every game every year. Losing is part of the game. Some people are sore losers, and some are not. You sir, are the former.

Hiring Danny Ford was a major league mistake. The game of College Football had already passed him by years before. Frank should have given Joe Kines another year as HC to see if he could turn things around. Talking Joe into bringing Danny Ford in as an Offensive adviser while planning all along behind Kines back to make him the next HC was very dirty on Frank's part.

As for CBB, I voted more like CBP but in actuality, I believe he'll do better.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Peter Porker

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 09:21:07 pm

No. he's ok with losing games, and even getting blown out with no chance to win, as long we are throwing the ball over the field and entertaining him.

thirrdegreetusker

April 16, 2015, 11:09:06 am #76 Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:08:17 am by thirrdegreetusker
Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 01:47:23 pm
Broyles hiring Hatfield over JJ in 1984 set our program back to the point it didn't recover until BP arrived...

That is a defensible opinion, in hindsight. At THAT time, however, Hatfield was coming off a 10-2 season, and some considerable national buzz, while JJ was 8-4.

In 1984, JJ took over the Miami defending national champs (11-1), and went 8-5. KH took over a 6-5 UA team, and went 7-4-1.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 16, 2015, 09:39:58 am
Going on the road, to play a national power (Miami), a team that had been ranked #1 for seven weeks that season, and losing by 2 late, because your best player flat-out dropped a game-winning interception..............sorry, that ain't "choke" or "suck".....

Tell you what, if you ever see Steve Atwater in the airport, go tell him "You guys sucked!!"

I was being facetious and very sarcastic.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 16, 2015, 10:45:03 am

No. he's ok with losing games, and even getting blown out with no chance to win, as long we are throwing the ball over the field and entertaining him.

Thanks for another uninformed opinion.  We consistently lost games from 1984 thru 2007 because we were ineffective throwing the ball when we needed to.  But let's disregard that and claim I want the ball in the air 100 times a game.  That is a weak and fabricated argument...

Winning games i
Quote from: Peter Porker on April 16, 2015, 10:45:03 am

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Big breath......................

It all depends on when/if/how he leaves... Too many options, but my favorite is him retiring hwere.. My 2md is him going to the NFL before Rob Smith and Rob taking over...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HappyHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on April 16, 2015, 10:37:25 am
Hiring Danny Ford was a major league mistake. The game of College Football had already passed him by years before. Frank should have given Joe Kines another year as HC to see if he could turn things around. Talking Joe into bringing Danny Ford in as an Offensive adviser while planning all along behind Kines back to make him the next HC was very dirty on Frank's part.

As for CBB, I voted more like CBP but in actuality, I believe he'll do better.

Passed him by? He took us to our first SECCG appearance.

That being said, not interviewing Pete Carroll way back when was the worst mistake Broyles made in regards to our football program (followed very closely by accepting a meeting with the SPringdale parents, but that's a different thread)

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 15, 2015, 02:33:54 pm
We're talking about his legacy, which means what will he be known for when his time is over.  There's no telling what could happen in the next decade if he's here that long.  Coaches are people, and I don't put anything past anyone honestly.  Not saying it's likely, just that it could happen.

gotcha.
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

WorfHog

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.