Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What will CBB's legacy be ?

Started by vbgonz46, April 13, 2015, 09:36:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IMO HDN was an average 6-7 win coach. As many down years as good years. CBP was an average 8-9 win coach, with less down years and maybe as many SECCG's as HDN.  What will CBBs legacy be?

Similar to HDNs?
9 (4.4%)
More like CBPs?
23 (11.3%)
Worse than both?
2 (1%)
9-10 wins with more trips to SECG?
130 (64%)
WTH?
39 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 200

vbgonz46

April 13, 2015, 09:36:08 pm Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:42:28 am by vbgonz46
IMO HDN was an average 6-7 win coach. As many down years as good years. CBP was an average 8-9 win coach, with less down years and maybe as many SECCG's as HDN.  What will CBBs legacy be?
Date Registered:  December 10, 2004, 12:43:54 AM

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

chitwnhog

I'm with Doug. Oh n this is Hogville and not having Frito Pie as an option makes this whole tread ridiculous.

go hogues

Mainly, he just needs to STAY PUT. We have had a terrible streak of not only coaching turnover but silly, borderline unbelievable drama to go with it. We are just entering a phase of what feels like stability for the first time in probably 12/13 years.
If he can provide stability, to go along with the good coaching and player development, we should be in the top 4 of the SECW every year with a chance to break into the SECCG every 4-6 years.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: DawgTownHog on April 13, 2015, 10:18:23 pm
I'm with Doug. Oh n this is Hogville and not having Frito Pie as an option makes this whole tread ridiculous.

Dang.  I would've chosen Frito Pie.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

jvanhorn

I voted but the truth is it is way to early to make an educated guess.  I would say that he is already the best recruiting coach we have ever had, and recruits are what win games.  He has put together a excellent coaching staff-- and he is holding everybody accountable, so the signs are good but I don't think you get into the Hall of Fame after just two or three years.  You actualy have to produce a body of work and accomplishments over a long period of time.

Do I think it is very likely he could turn out to be the best football coach Arkansas has ever had?  Sure.  But potential is just that until you fulfill it.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: vbgonz46 on April 13, 2015, 09:36:08 pm
IMO HDN was an average 6-7 win coach. As many down years as good years. CBP was an average 8-9 win coach.  With less down years and as many SECCgs as HDN.  What will CBBs legacy be?

CBP had us in an SEC championship game? Plus it is hard to compare since both CBP and CBB have been here fewer years than Nutt. But it is the off season.  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Boardon Hamsay

April 14, 2015, 08:21:43 am #8 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:36:19 pm by Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie
Quote from: DawgTownHog on April 13, 2015, 10:18:23 pm

Troof.

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 13, 2015, 10:27:27 pm
Dang.  I wouldnt've chosen Frito Pie.

Bant. And reported to Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head. >:(
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

jgphillips3

His legacy will be fundamentally sound football and teams that will knock you D@$# in the dirt win or lose.  When the stars align, as they do once or twice a decade, he'll have a shot at the brass ring.  It's way too soon to know if he can get over the hump but even if a team beats us, they will know they played a team of men and they will feel it for a week. 

LRrazorback

HDN was a 7-8 win coach. Won 75 games in 10 years.  Majority of conf wins came vs 3 teams (MS, MS St., and USC). I think CBB will be similar to HDN, maybe a tad better, 8 wins/season.  Hope I'm wrong

Peter Porker

Quote from: vbgonz46 on April 13, 2015, 09:36:08 pm
IMO HDN was an average 6-7 win coach. As many down years as good years. CBP was an average 8-9 win coach.  With less down years and as many SECCgs as HDN.  What will CBBs legacy be?

HDN and CBP had about the same record when you take into account much of Nutt's tenure we played 11 games as opposed to 12 game seasons under Petrino.

Bielema is facing stiffer competition with the addition of an additional West opponent, but still having to play a power 5 nonconference team each year. with that said I still believe he will be better than both and will coach us to our first SEC Championship.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 14, 2015, 08:29:39 am
HDN was a 7-8 win coach. Won 75 games in 10 years.  Majority of conf wins came vs 3 teams (MS, MS St., and USC). I think CBB will be similar to HDN, maybe a tad better, 8 wins/season.  Hope I'm wrong

Which is similar to Petrino and the majority of his conference wins. In fact, he only beat 3 SEC teams with winning conference records and that was LSU once and South Carolina twice.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 14, 2015, 08:29:39 am
Frankly, I think you will be.

We've never seen what a complete and well rounded staff can do at Arkansas in the SEC. HDN and CBP both had glaring weaknesses even if they were strong in other areas.

(I know Petrino did well while he was here. But I don't think his style is sustainable in the SEC. I think he would have flared out and been fired after year 6 or so.)

CBB seems to be putting together a complete package. Maybe there are no geniuses like Saban or Petrino or Freeze (Defense, Offense, Recruiting), but there are no areas where we seem to be deficient - assuming Enos is the quality hire most of us believe him to be.

To be honest, assuming Enos pans out, I believe that if this staff can't get it done here, we may need to face the fact that Arkansas currently doesn't have what it takes to be a big time program.

Now before you hit the smite button on that last sentence, understand that I believe that we are a good enough program to be nationally competitive consistently and that this staff will prove it.

rzrbaxfan

You talk of legacy, but only discuss win totals.  To me, legacy is much more than that.

Nutt's legacy was that of a mediocre coach that had control issues, especially on offense.  He was a pretty stubborn man who wanted to do things his way, even at the expense of the W-L ratio.

BP's legacy was that of a coach that won via a high powered O and a bend-but-don't-break D.  Who knows if his equation would work long term, because the biggest element of his legacy is that he can't stay in one place too long without crapping in his bed.

Who knows what BB's legacy will be.  I hope it's a mix of the better qualities of the two previous coaches (long term like Nutt, committed to win like BP), with his own touches that the last two coaches lacked (balanced O, great D, no off field drama).

Inhogswetrust

He's only been here two years and someone already is wondering about his "legacy". Good grief.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

rzrbaxfan

jrulz83

Invalid pole, it's missing a very important option.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Großer Kriegschwein

Vantage 8 dude

I truly hope that his ultimate legacy has yet to be written. Only three years into his term as HC we can all see major changes and improvements in the mess he inherited from CBP's inglorious departure and JLS's total disastrous year. One thing, however, that's already VERY obvious is Bret's reliance and insistence on high quality kids who're on The Hill not only to play football, but to go after and attain a degree. The close relationship he has with both his staff and kids is also a legacy that's clearly been formed and doubtless will continue to grow. As the old saying goes: "The best is yet to come" IMHO.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jrulz83 on April 14, 2015, 01:38:52 pm
Invalid pole, it's missing a very important option.

That's what she said...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HogWall Jackson

So far,he's a man that has tried to do the right things. He appears to be going in the right direction. Stay tuned.

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

HappyHogFan

Hopefully we have another 20 years, at least, before we discuss Coach's legacy here.

Jek Tono Porkins

I think it's impossible to predict his legacy, either in the near future or the distant future.

I remember when Kevin Sumlin finished his first season at A&M. The predictions were boundless. He was going to supplant UT as the premier program in Texas, he was going to win multiple SEC championships, his offense would revolutionize the game, etc. But he's done worse than I think everyone expected. His teams have gotten worse every year. He seems to have control issues...his QB breaks the A&M single game record in the season opener then gets benched and transfers by the end of the season.

I'm just saying that you can't define a coach's legacy until his career is done. People still argue about coach's legacies after the coaches are dead.

But if we must participate in this frivolous exercise, I would say that Coach B is going to get us consistent 7-9 win regular seasons with an SECCG appearance every 5 or so years. Might even win one while he's here. I just want a sustained period of success...no more of these 10-11 win seasons one year with a 4-5 win season the next. I think that's what Long was thinking when he hired Bielema.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

bigbadhog

Similar to HDN without the SECCG appearances...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 12:36:14 pm
Similar to HDN without the SECCG appearances...

Sounds just like Petrino.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 15, 2015, 12:49:13 pm

Sounds just like Petrino.

Yeah, half of HDN's seasons on The Hill were 10 or 11 wins seasons with BCS bowls and top five finishes just like BP...

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 01:08:45 pm
Yeah, half of HDN's seasons on The Hill were 10 or 11 wins seasons with BCS bowls and top five finishes just like BP...
Half of Petrino's seasons were not top 5 finishes. He had one top 5 finish. That was also his one top ten finish. The 2010 team ended the season #12. Houston's 2006 team ended the season #15.

Look, Petrino showed what could happen at Arkansas with a coach that wasn't a complete and utter idiot. It's not like he's some diabolical genius that did something nobody else will ever do here. If Nutt had been not a complete and total idiot, his 1998, 2002, 2006, and 2007 teams all could have been top ten teams. The talent was definitely there.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on April 15, 2015, 01:13:49 pm
Half of Petrino's seasons were not top 5 finishes. He had one top 5 finish. That was also his one top ten finish. The 2010 team ended the season #12. Houston's 2006 team ended the season #15.

Look, Petrino showed what could happen at Arkansas with a coach that wasn't a complete and utter idiot. It's not like he's some diabolical genius that did something nobody else will ever do here. If Nutt had been not a complete and total idiot, his 1998, 2002, 2006, and 2007 teams all could have been top ten teams. The talent was definitely there.

revisionist history..... regularity given the topic

bigbadhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on April 15, 2015, 01:13:49 pm

You might read it again.  Half of BP's seasons were 10 OR 11 win seasons with BCS and Top 5 finishes.  Didn't say both qualified for all of it each year and as a 40+ year fan of the program, I have a good handle on your historical situation.  Bottom line is one coach has gotten it done on The Hill in the past 31 years and the others haven't and I think BB legacy here will be much like HDN who never sniffed a top five finish with the Razorbacks.  He actually lost his last three games of 1998 and with him at the helm, it could have just as easily been his first three...

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

PorkRinds

Not sure why we would discuss his legacy after two seasons.  There's literally no way to know.  Plenty of us thought Petrino's legacy would be one for the ages when he had us trending toward the top, and now his legacy is garbage.  CBB's legacy will be decided by his future here, and there's no way to say now what it will be.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 01:22:51 pm
You might read it again.  Half of BP's seasons were 10 OR 11 win seasons with BCS and Top 5 finishes.  Didn't say both qualified for all of it each year and as a 40+ year fan of the program, I have a good handle on your historical situation.  Bottom line is one coach has gotten it done on The Hill in the past 31 years and the others haven't and I think BB legacy here will be much like HDN who never sniffed a top five finish with the Razorbacks.  He actually lost his last three games of 1998 and with him at the helm, it could have just as easily been his first three...

So what happened to you this week for us to get a lecture on the absolute perfection and winning ways of Bobby Petrino?

The thing that remained the same after Broyles success was Broyles the AD. Broyles the AD was able to bring in two good coaches in his tenure (Holtz & Hatfield). I have a distinct feeling, and it is just my opinion, that Ford would have outshone Nutt if he had been retained for a few more years. It wasn't until Broyles retired that we were able to hire another decent HC.

Broyles was great for the athletic department but had a hard time keeping good coaches around.....

HF#1

Bielema > Petrino or Nutt.   He will have Broyles type success.  You can just tell by the way he runs things.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 01:22:51 pm
You said:

"Yeah, half of HDN's seasons on The Hill were 10 or 11 wins seasons with BCS bowls and top five finishes just like BP..."

Bowls and finishes are plural words. Meaning they refer to more than one.

You're trying to make it seem like you said BP's seasons were either 10 win seasons with a BCS bowl appearance or 11 win seasons with a top 5 finish, in which case you would be correct, but you clearly didn't mean in that way based on your absolutely atrocious grammar. Perhaps you did mean it that way but consciously used absolutely atrocious grammar, in which case there's no reason for me to take your opinion seriously.

HillBillyHogfan

His blackjack table legacy will always supersede his football legacy
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

Atlhogfan1

Nutt avg 7.5 wins per season
Petrino avg 8.5

Part of it depends on the strength of the SEC and who we play. 

I think Bielema will fall closer to Petrino although it may take quite a few years to avg out that first season.  He has brought the most stability, organization and professional environment and leadership we have had in decades.  That gives him a chance for success at a program like ours at a competitive disadvantage.  Because of the depth of the SEC it may not result in much more ultimate success.  But I think it will "feel" much better and be more enjoyable than the last two circuses.  Actually going back to Broyles has sometimes felt like a circus or dirty with Broyles meddling and coaches pouting and not running their program completely as they would have otherwise.  Just one soap opera after another.  Hopefully this era ends that at the least. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Peter Porker

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 15, 2015, 01:44:21 pm
Nutt avg 7.5 wins per season
Petrino avg 8.5

Part of it depends on the strength of the SEC and who we play. 

I think Bielema will fall closer to Petrino although it may take quite a few years to avg out that first season.  He has brought the most stability, organization and professional environment and leadership we have had in decades.  That gives him a chance for success at a program like ours at a competitive disadvantage.  Because of the depth of the SEC it may not result in much more ultimate success.  But I think it will "feel" much better and be more enjoyable than the last two circuses.  Actually going back to Broyles has sometimes felt like a circus or dirty with Broyles meddling and coaches pouting and not running their program completely as they would have otherwise.  Just one soap opera after another.  Hopefully this era ends that at the least.

Nutt coached 1 less game per season than Petrino (11 games to 12).

bigbadhog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 01:30:06 pm
So what happened to you this week for us to get a lecture on the absolute perfection and winning ways of Bobby Petrino?

The thing that remained the same after Broyles success was Broyles the AD. Broyles the AD was able to bring in two good coaches in his tenure (Holtz & Hatfield). I have a distinct feeling, and it is just my opinion, that Ford would have outshone Nutt if he had been retained for a few more years. It wasn't until Broyles retired that we were able to hire another decent HC.

Broyles was great for the athletic department but had a hard time keeping good coaches around.....

I had a flashback to when we were a top 10 team and then woke up to remember we have won 2 SEC games in two years and much is hogville is ready to crown BB the next Bear Bryant...  I agree with you except the part about Hatfield being a good coach.  Broyles hiring Hatfield over JJ in 1984 set our program back to the point it didn't recover until BP arrived...

bigbadhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on April 15, 2015, 01:39:59 pm
You said:

"Yeah, half of HDN's seasons on The Hill were 10 or 11 wins seasons with BCS bowls and top five finishes just like BP..."

Bowls and finishes are plural words. Meaning they refer to more than one.

You're trying to make it seem like you said BP's seasons were either 10 win seasons with a BCS bowl appearance or 11 win seasons with a top 5 finish, in which case you would be correct, but you clearly didn't mean in that way based on your absolutely atrocious grammar. Perhaps you did mean it that way but consciously used absolutely atrocious grammar, in which case there's no reason for me to take your opinion seriously.

What are you an English teacher?  It was clear what I meant.  So here goes again, BP had a 10 or 11 win season and either a BCS bowl or a top five finish in half of his coaching years on The Hill.  Is that better?  I was replying to PP's claim that BP's time here was much like Nutt's which could not be further from the truth...

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 01:08:45 pm

Uhhhh....

Since this is a message board and speculation can occur here, let's assume Petrino was coach in 2012 and 2013 when the rosters were, "all his players". Would he had a Top 10 finish or BCS bowl game in either season? No. So, now instead of "half" it's a third.

WITH NO SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME APPEARANCES.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 15, 2015, 01:46:46 pm
Nutt coached 1 less game per season than Petrino (11 games to 12).

Nutt coached an avg of 12.3 games per season.
7.5 wins 4.8 losses
Petrino coached an avg of 12.75 over his 4 seasons.
8.5 wins 4.25 losses
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bigbadhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 15, 2015, 01:52:05 pm
Uhhhh....

Since this is a message board and speculation can occur here, let's assume Petrino was coach in 2012 and 2013 when the rosters were, "all his players". Would he had a Top 10 finish or BCS bowl game in either season? No. So, now instead of "half" it's a third.

WITH NO SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME APPEARANCES.

so BP gets credit for PP's playcalling and JLS's lack of leadership?  I don't think so.  We will never know what would have happened if BP stayed.  You are only speculating and I know that must hurt...

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 15, 2015, 01:47:23 pm
I had a flashback to when we were a top 10 team and then woke up to remember we have won 2 SEC games in two years and much is hogville is ready to crown BB the next Bear Bryant...  I agree with you except the part about Hatfield being a good coach.  Broyles hiring Hatfield over JJ in 1984 set our program back to the point it didn't recover until BP arrived...

What set us back was the hiring of Crowe.

Hatfield did well at Arkansas, but his relationship with JFB was nearly common knowledge across his recruiting base.

As far as JJ is concerned, I can only say one thing.

GRUDEN.

Atlhogfan1

Petrino won the games Nutt wouldn't.  LSU 2010 vs LSU 2006, pulling out wins even when not prepared vs teams like A&M, Vandy and Ole Miss in 2011 vs the 0 for Octobers.  The numbers doesn't look like much of a difference but there was. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 15, 2015, 01:56:29 pm
What set us back was the hiring of Crowe.

Hatfield did well at Arkansas, but his relationship with JFB was nearly common knowledge across his recruiting base.

As far as JJ is concerned, I can only say one thing.

GRUDEN.

The Crowe hiring had causes.  You have to go back to the Tony Jones catch and Hatfield's actions in response to Broyles afterwards. 

RazorPiggie

This thread turned to crap really quick.  Kinda dumb to discuss legacy after 2 years.