Top 5 best coaching combos(football/basketball) in the SEC

Started by Hogwild, April 02, 2015, 04:41:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

1. Gus Malzahn and Bruce Pearl, Auburn
2. Mark Stoops and John Calipari, Kentucky
3. Les Miles and Johnny Jones, LSU
4. Bret Bielema and Mike Anderson, Arkansas

Remember when Arkansas hired Bielema? Everybody was a little surprised. It came out of left field. After Year 1, there were questions as to whether he could ever win in the SEC. But now people are picking the Razorbacks as a darkhorse team in the West. Clearly, Bielema is trending in the right direction and so is his counterpart. Anderson's hoops team finished second in the conference and made the Round of 32 this past season. If history is any indication, that's only the beginning. Once he gets players to fit his system, look out.

5. Mark Richt and Mark Fox, Georgia

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/99848/the-five-best-coaching-combos-in-the-sec

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hogwild on April 02, 2015, 04:41:09 pm

Remember when Arkansas hired Bielema? Everybody was a little surprised. It came out of left field. After Year 1, there were questions as to whether he could ever win in the SEC. But now people are picking the Razorbacks as a darkhorse team in the West. Clearly, Bielema is trending in the right direction and so is his counterpart. Anderson's hoops team finished second in the conference and made the Round of 32 this past season. If history is any indication, that's only the beginning. Once he gets players to fit his system, look out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/99848/the-five-best-coaching-combos-in-the-sec

Didn't read the linked article, but I'm assuming since they put Gus/Pearl #1 it's a rating about propensity to cheat and lie, right?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hoggish1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 02, 2015, 04:43:05 pm
Didn't read the linked article, but I'm assuming since they put Gus/Pearl #1 it's a rating about propensity to cheat and lie, right?

LMAO Those two are in a class all their own in the lying /cheating deptnobody even comes close...

They have no business being No. 1 in a legit combo.  Bielema/Anderson are head over heals the No.1 comb on a legit list...

Hogarusa

Bielema and MA have 0 SEC titles combined.  In order to be the best, surely that should be a requirement
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

lefty08

Quote from: Hogarusa on April 02, 2015, 05:41:01 pm
Bielema and MA have 0 SEC titles combined.  In order to be the best, surely that should be a requirement

Requirement for what?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

WJBilly

If that's a requirement then Stoops and Calipari should be number 1 or Saban and whoever they replace Grant with.

Hogarusa

Quote from: WJBilly on April 02, 2015, 06:52:36 pm
If that's a requirement then Stoops and Calipari should be number 1 or Saban and whoever they replace Grant with.

Makes sense to me. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

HappyHogFan

Pearl and Gus? Two great coaches insofar as winning games goes, in terms of developing fine young men and following the rules? Not so much.

I'd fine with the number 4 coaching duo we have and hearing things like "quality young man from Arkansas we talked to today"

RonBurgundy

Quote from: WJBilly on April 02, 2015, 06:52:36 pm

If it turns out to be Avery Johnson, then Bama will definitely be number 1.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: RonBurgundy on April 06, 2015, 01:18:17 pm
If it turns out to be Avery Johnson, then Bama will definitely be number 1.

If you REALLY value really short guys.  ;-)
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hoginsavga

I have not seen this comparison before. But while we are at it, let's throw in track and field and baseball.

Hogwild

Quote from: Hoginsavga on April 08, 2015, 05:54:29 pm
I have not seen this comparison before. But while we are at it, let's throw in track and field and baseball.

then watch for A&M, Arkansas, & LSU  to separate from the pack

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hoginsavga on April 08, 2015, 05:54:29 pm

Word up...!  +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

31to6

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 02, 2015, 04:43:05 pm
Birds of a feather, those two. That whole program is slimy.

HogBreath

Les Miles & Johnny Jones would for sure win the does less with more award.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

BDSCT51

The Les/Johnny show. Darn fine entertainment I might add!
Bleeding Razorback Red

HappyHogFan

At one time we had John Pelphrey/John L Smith

Can someone say improvement

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HogBreath on April 09, 2015, 10:28:57 am
Les Miles & Johnny Jones would for sure win the does less with more award.

Mark richt does a pretty good job about that "does less with more"
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

RAD

I guess I can see Malzahn/Pearl getting the nod based on their resumes. No SEC program has really had a championship-balance like Meyer/Donovan did years ago. The ones on this list are heavily-weighted towards one sport, so I would put us right there at 1 or 2 on balance.

lefty08

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 09, 2015, 11:35:52 am
At one time we had John Pelphrey/John L Smith

Can someone say improvement

Wasn't pel gone when jl was here?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HappyHogFan

Quote from: RAD on April 09, 2015, 07:18:21 pm
I guess I can see Malzahn/Pearl getting the nod based on their resumes. No SEC program has really had a championship-balance like Meyer/Donovan did years ago. The ones on this list are heavily-weighted towards one sport, so I would put us right there at 1 or 2 on balance.

That's where I am to. I mean Nick Saban by himself is worth more than any other programs coaches regardless of who they have coaching basketball, but I thought this list meant combined.

I'd put our guys near the top.

yraciv

Quote from: HF#1 on April 09, 2015, 10:39:33 am
Johnny Jones may be the worst coach in the league.

We'll see next year how good he is because there shouldn't be any excuses based on talent. I'm expecting  they underachieve and barely get in the tournament. 

COCHISE

If we go ahead and round out the big 3 sports and include DVH in that discussion, I think Arkansas ranks right near the top. CBB, MA, and DVH is quite the combo.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hogwild on April 02, 2015, 04:41:09 pm

Remember when Arkansas hired Bielema? Everybody was a little surprised. It came out of left field. After Year 1, there were questions as to whether he could ever win in the SEC. But now people are picking the Razorbacks as a darkhorse team in the West. Clearly, Bielema is trending in the right direction and so is his counterpart. Anderson’s hoops team finished second in the conference and made the Round of 32 this past season. If history is any indication, that’s only the beginning. Once he gets players to fit his system, look out.

I get Calipari, but wagering on Stoops is still betting on the come.  He's shown a lot of promise, but he's going to have to win more to help jump this high on the list.

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

COCHISE

The question posed is not which combo of coaches have had the most success in the SEC, it's the best tandem overall. They're counting CBB's numerous conference titles and Rose Bowl victories as well as MA's impressive record and the fact that he took UAB to the Sweet 16 and Mizzou to the Elite 8, and just finished a 27-9 season here.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22