Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the reason why you play tough nonconference games? Character

Started by bigpigpimpin, March 09, 2005, 01:39:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

See Oakland University 12-18 (THEY ARE GOING DANCING)

Nonconference schedule against teams going to postseason

At Xavier           16-11 (10-6) NIT
At # 1 illinois      29-1  (15-1) NCAA         
Marquette         19-10 (7-9)  NCAA BUBBLE OR NIT (STILL ALIVE FOR AUTOMATIC NCAA BID)
at Texas A+M     19-8  (8-8)  NCAA
at Missouri          15-15 (7-9) NIT (STILL ALIVE FOR AUTOMATIC NCAA BID)
at Kansas State   16-11 (6-10) NIT
at Akron            19-9   (11-7) NIT  (STILL ALIVE FOR AUTOMATIC NCAA BID)
Bowling Green    18-10 (10-8) NIT  (STILL ALIVE FOR AUTOMATIC NCAA BID)
at #13 Michigan st. 22-5 (13-3) NCAA

(bad teams)

North Dakota State  Div 2
Saint Louis 9-20 (6-10)

Oakland won their last 5 games, including last nights victory over ORAL Roberts 25-7 (13-3) NCAA Bubble or NIT

Arkansas nonconference schedule against teams going to postseason

Winthrop 27-5 (13-1) NCAA
Gardener webb 18-12 (13-7) NIT
#1 Illinois 29-1 (15-1) NCAA
at Missouri 15-15 (7-9) NIT (STILL ALIVE FOR AUTOMATIC NCAA BID)

(bad teams)

Troy 12-18 (10-10)
E. Michigan 12-18 (5-13)
Tulsa 9-20 (5-13)
Tennessee st 14-17 (9-7)
Prarie View 6-21 (6-12)
Hartford     8-20 (4-14)
Jacksonville st 7-22 (2-14)
Louisiana Monroe 8-19 (2-14)

So the bottom line is, OAKLAND is going dancing, and we are not.

I made a joke about arkansas schedule earlier in the season and I got flamed for it. So don't give me that B.S. about playing cupcakes and winning builds confidence. Tell me, just how much confidence do you get from beating the Likes of Hartford.

Earlier this season Oakland's coach was interviewed by Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio and he talked about his tough schedule and that he believes that you play a tough non-conference schedule to prepare you for conference and post-season. The team finished seventh out of nine teams in their league, but look what happened. The tough schedule forced them to gel as a team and to scrap and fight, something the razorbacks have forgotton how to do. Oakland has won 5 in a row and bowed up and beat the best team in the conference IN THEIR OWN HOUSE for the right, the honor to join the madness. You gotta love that. Their coach was absolutely exhausted by the end of the game as he fought back tears when interviewed by reporters. You see friends, you must fight and scrap and believe that you are going to get the job done, and when you have fought that hard for something and you achieve the joy is pure and true. Folks, they have a losing record, and are probably are the 66th best team out of the field of 65, but by golly you better believe that they deserve to be there. Their players hugged, cried, and fell exhausted to the floor.

When is the last time you saw our beloved hogs play like that? This saddens me to the core. This is why you play a tough schedule, because it builds character.

You see, you can build confidence, but if you don't have character you are going to falter when shite hits the fan. This is the difference between Oakland and Arkansas. Oakland has the heart and character to pull it together when things get tough, to dig a little deeper, and to get the job done.

We don't.

The hogs are falling apart. Rumors swirl about ronnie going to the NBA, townes transferring, and modica whining. Instead of bonding they are wanting out, or to take the easy route. I seriously doubt we win one game in the sec tourney. I hope I'm wrong.

Another team going dancing is the UNIVERSITY OF NIAGARA FALLS

Their coach has been at the head of the program for 15 years, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS PLAYERS HAVE EARNED THEIR DEGREE.

Big Dance, educated young men. Coincidence, I think Not.

So, finally, and I know that this article was long.....but

ATTITUDE REFLECTS LEADERSHIP

Look at Arkansas. Look at Oakland. You decide.

Amityvillehogger

i agree, we should have played a tougher non conference schedule, i believe everyone agrees by now
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Fletch

You forgot that the good teams on the razorbacks schedule are the SEC games and the bad teams on Oaklands schedule are their conference games. They play a tough non conference schedule for one reason only. Money. I would rather play some tougher nc games too, but I don't think you can compare us to Oakland. Would you rather go 12-18 every year and hope you get lucky in the SECT in order to get an auto bid?  Some people want SH fired after 3 years and we will end up no worse than 18-12. Plus schedule gets a lot tougher next year with Maui classic, Texas Tech and Missouri in NC then the SEC which should be better. I'll take our situation over Oakland any day. Winthrop is in NCAAT also and we beat them handily. NCAAT takes some crappy teams with losing records in order to give smaller programs something to play for. Personally, I think our program is on the rise.
I feel like $100

sooie dog

Quote from: Fletch on March 09, 2005, 02:16:06 pm
Personally, I think our program is on the rise.

Where did you get your Fatty McGee's?  I think I'm going to have to get some.

Fletch

I feel like $100

sooie dog

Fatty is always taking up for Stan so someone designed a pair of rose colored glasses that say Fatty McGee on the lens.  I'm sure you will see them around.  I did not realize you were new. Welcome

Fletch

Thanks. I will try not to be a Stan apologist. I am as frustrated and angry as anyone(almost). But I do believe very few coaches are left with as little as Stan was. Leading scorer D. Gomez at 5.5 ppg. No talent at post and no guards period except Modica and Tatum after J.J. Sullinger left and Iggy didn't honor his commitment. I just think it is going to take a little longer than most of us had hoped. Last 2 recruiting classes produced 2 freshman all american honorable mentions. I can't help it. I am optimistic and a die hard fan.
I feel like $100

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Fletch on March 09, 2005, 02:43:28 pm
Thanks. I will try not to be a Stan apologist. I am as frustrated and angry as anyone(almost). But I do believe very few coaches are left with as little as Stan was. Leading scorer D. Gomez at 5.5 ppg. No talent at post and no guards period except Modica and Tatum after J.J. Sullinger left and Iggy didn't honor his commitment. I just think it is going to take a little longer than most of us had hoped. Last 2 recruiting classes produced 2 freshman all american honorable mentions. I can't help it. I am optimistic and a die hard fan.

A man after my own heart.  And JFB should never have let Igoudala out of his LOI.  But I don't blame Iggy for wanting to bail.  I couldn't believe he chose us over Arizona in the first place.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fletch

Nolan knew his family since birth. It was a favor to Nolan is what I heard. I agree he should have been held to commitment but I am ready to be cleansed of all Nolan ties. I think incoming talent is obviosly a major improvement over NRs last 3 or 4 classes.
I feel like $100

Macgyver_Hawg

The game that really made me uneasy this season was Jacksonville State.  We nearly lost that game winning by 6 points, at home.  I should have realized then that this team was going to be up and down.

Fletch

That's true. I think starting 12-1 even with weak schedule made a lot of people think we had made more progress than we really had. One of the reasons I think we are at least improving though is that the previous 2 years we possibly would have lost that game. We lost to Western Carolina last year and Troy St. before that.
I feel like $100

gatecrasher

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on March 09, 2005, 01:39:41 pm
See Oakland University 12-18 (THEY ARE GOING DANCING)

Nonconference schedule against teams going to postseason

At Xavier 16-11 (10-6) NIT
At # 1 illinois 29-1 (15-1) NCAA
Marquette 19-10 (7-9) NCAA BUBBLE OR NIT (STILL ALIVE FOR AUTOMATIC NCAA BID)
at Texas A+M 19-8 (8-8) NCAA
at Kansas State 16-11 (6-10) NIT
at Akron 19-9 (11-7) NIT (STILL ALIVE FOR AUTOMATIC NCAA BID)
Bowling Green 18-10 (10-8) NIT (STILL ALIVE FOR AUTOMATIC NCAA BID)
at #13 Michigan st. 22-5 (13-3) NCAA

(bad teams)

North Dakota State Div 2
Saint Louis 9-20 (6-10)

Oakland won their last 5 games, including last nights victory over ORAL Roberts 25-7 (13-3) NCAA Bubble or NIT

Arkansas nonconference schedule against teams going to postseason

Winthrop 27-5 (13-1) NCAA
Gardener webb 18-12 (13-7) NIT
#1 Illinois 29-1 (15-1) NCAA

(bad teams)

Troy 12-18 (10-10)
E. Michigan 12-18 (5-13)
Tulsa 9-20 (5-13)
Tennessee st 14-17 (9-7)
Prarie View 6-21 (6-12)
Hartford 8-20 (4-14)
Jacksonville st 7-22 (2-14)
Louisiana Monroe 8-19 (2-14)

So the bottom line is, OAKLAND is going dancing, and we are not.

I made a joke about arkansas schedule earlier in the season and I got flamed for it. So don't give me that B.S. about playing cupcakes and winning builds confidence. Tell me, just how much confidence do you get from beating the Likes of Hartford.

Earlier this season Oakland's coach was interviewed by Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio and he talked about his tough schedule and that he believes that you play a tough non-conference schedule to prepare you for conference and post-season. The team finished seventh out of nine teams in their league, but look what happened. The tough schedule forced them to gel as a team and to scrap and fight, something the razorbacks have forgotton how to do. Oakland has won 5 in a row and bowed up and beat the best team in the conference IN THEIR OWN HOUSE for the right, the honor to join the madness. You gotta love that. Their coach was absolutely exhausted by the end of the game as he fought back tears when interviewed by reporters. You see friends, you must fight and scrap and believe that you are going to get the job done, and when you have fought that hard for something and you achieve the joy is pure and true. Folks, they have a losing record, and are probably are the 66th best team out of the field of 65, but by golly you better believe that they deserve to be there. Their players hugged, cried, and fell exhausted to the floor.

When is the last time you saw our beloved hogs play like that? This saddens me to the core. This is why you play a tough schedule, because it builds character.

You see, you can build confidence, but if you don't have character you are going to falter when shite hits the fan. This is the difference between Oakland and Arkansas. Oakland has the heart and character to pull it together when things get tough, to dig a little deeper, and to get the job done.

We don't.

The hogs are falling apart. Rumors swirl about ronnie going to the NBA, townes transferring, and modica whining. Instead of bonding they are wanting out, or to take the easy route. I seriously doubt we win one game in the sec tourney. I hope I'm wrong.

Another team going dancing is the UNIVERSITY OF NIAGARA FALLS

Their coach has been at the head of the program for 15 years, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF HIS PLAYERS HAVE EARNED THEIR DEGREE.

Big Dance, educated young men. Coincidence, I think Not.

So, finally, and I know that this article was long.....but

ATTITUDE REFLECTS LEADERSHIP

Look at Arkansas. Look at Oakland. You decide.
What a post...I wish I could have seen the game on TV...Wouldn't it be something if they became the first #16 to knock off a #1?  It's gonna happen sooner or later...the law of averages (yes this one is lengthy) will run out sooner or later.  This kind of thing is what made me a college basketball fan! And as for Niagara, this is their first NCAA appearance in some 30 years.