Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Many teams go through rough times

Started by Hoggie17, January 01, 2017, 10:28:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie17

Lets look at Ala., they went through a lot of coaches from 1983 until 2007.

1.  Ray Perkins
2.  Bill Curry
3. Gene Stallings
4.  Mike DuBose
5.  Dennis Frachioni
6. Mike Price
7. Mike Shula
8. Joe Kines

Mike Price never coached one game, got busted for going to a massage parlor or  topples bar one or both. 

Joe Kines coached 1 game.

Gene Stallings was the only good coach of the group.

Alabama fans never lost hope they kept demanding a winning coach.  So Alabama decided to hire the best coach they could buy. Enter Nick Sabin and rest is history.

We can win again, just buy the best coach, we will make our money back all we have to do at look at Alabama.  They have more than got their money's worth at of Nick Sabin.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggie17 on January 01, 2017, 10:28:28 am

1.  Ray Perkins
2.  Bill Curry
3. Gene Stallings
4.  Mike DuBose
5.  Dennis Frachioni
6. Mike Price
7. Mike Shula
8. Joe Kines

Mike Price never coached one game, got busted for going to a massage parlor or  topples bar one or both. 

Alabama fans never lost hope they kept demanding a winning coach.  So Alabama decided to hire the best coach they could buy. Enter Nick Sabin and rest is history.

We can win again, just buy the best coach, we will make our money back all we have to do at look at Alabama.  They have more than got their money's worth at of Nick Sabin.

There is more to the entire process than just hiring the best coach available and being willing to pay the money to get him. He has to look at your situation and evaluate the program, the difficulties involved with building the program and how willing you are (as a University) to build a winning program and what you are willing to do to get there. For those coaches who want to be successful wherever they go, there is more to it than just the paycheck.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggie17

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2017, 10:34:37 am
There is more to the entire process than just hiring the best coach available and being willing to pay the money to get him. He has to look at your situation and evaluate the program, the difficulties involved with building the program and how willing you are (as a University) to build a winning program and what you are willing to do to get there. For those coaches who want to be successful wherever they go, there is more to it than just the paycheck.
I agree with your post, but that does not mean I am ready to give up.

depressed_fan

The best coach money can bring here is a coach that's been to several Rose Bowls. Bring in a Mike Shula caliber coach and we might not win but 2 games a year. 7 Wins is a lot of wins at Arkansas.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggie17 on January 01, 2017, 10:38:41 am
I agree with your post, but that does not mean I am ready to give up.

I'm just saying, there is a lot more to it than just the money...we can afford anyone that we want and can fund anything that we want to fund. You would be better off lobbying the PTB about what our overall goals for the football program are going to be for the future than thinking that money is the only factor.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: depressed_fan on January 01, 2017, 10:41:15 am
The best coach money can bring here is a coach that's been to several Rose Bowls. Bring in a Mike Shula caliber coach and we might not win but 2 games a year. 7 Wins is a lot of wins at Arkansas.

As much as I love physical, smash mouth football, the way things are going and with who we have to compete with in the SEC, the best coach we could bring here is one who employs more or a gimmicky offense and still believes in generating at least an average defense (if not better) and doesn't need to compete with the Alabama's of the world for recruits to make his system work. I hate saying that, but if all we want to do is win, that is probably the best route. But again, that may require the alteration of some of the current goals of the Administration, and I am not sure that is going to happen in the near future.

And even doing that is no guarantee whatsoever that we will be competing for the SEC West as it stands today, but it might give us 9 wins each season and the occasional 10 or 11.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hoggie17 on January 01, 2017, 10:28:28 am

1.  Ray Perkins
2.  Bill Curry
3. Gene Stallings
4.  Mike DuBose
5.  Dennis Frachioni
6. Mike Price
7. Mike Shula
8. Joe Kines

You simply can't compare the two programs. They have something like 18 championships and we have 1.  Arkansas can't just go out and hire a "Nick Sabin".

hawgon

Are you Jeff Long?  Houston Nutt averaged 7.5 wins a year here.  There are a hundred coaches in the NCAA.who could do as well here right now.  Seven wins is simply winning your nonconference games and three conference games.  I dare say there are people on this board who could do that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on January 01, 2017, 10:56:41 am
Are you Jeff Long?  Houston Nutt averaged 7.5 wins a year here.  There are a hundred coaches in the NCAA.who could do as well here right now.  Seven wins is simply winning your nonconference games and three conference games.  I dare say there are people on this board who could do that.

You have too many posts on this board to make a ridiculous statement like that.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2017, 11:02:08 am
You have too many posts on this board to make a ridiculous statement like that.

Hell, I'll grant that YOU could win seven games at Arkansas. 

Hoggie17

We have 3 cup cakes next year plus we should beat the 2 Miss schools that is five wins.

007 License To Squeal

"7 wins is lot of wins at Arkansas"

Oh, how the mediocrity has seeped in......
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on January 01, 2017, 11:03:01 am
Hell, I'll grant that YOU could win seven games at Arkansas. 

Having coached, I know that it often times seems a lot easier to fans that it tends to be in reality.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggie17

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 01, 2017, 11:04:56 am
"7 wins is lot of wins at Arkansas"

Oh, how the mediocrity has seeped in......
I can't believe we have stooped this low.

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2017, 11:05:15 am
Having coached, I know that it often times seems a lot easier to fans that it tends to be in reality.

There are always three teams and in lots of years four teams on the schedule we should never lose to, every year.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist.  BB is doing about as badly as should be tolerated at Arkansas.  He is not doing a good job.

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2017, 11:05:15 am

There's good and bad coaches.  Our last two have been bad.

Things will improve in 2018.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 01, 2017, 11:09:51 am
There's good and bad coaches.  Our last two have been bad.

Things will improve in 2018.

I hope that things turn around. We will see. I'm not impressed with the results that I have seen so far from Bielema but that is largely based on 4 games this season. For Arkansas, I hope that this changes, rather than having to start over from ground zero. That said, you state that things will improve in 2018 as being fact, when in actual fact, it is just your hope.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2017, 11:17:40 am
I hope that things turn around. We will see. I'm not impressed with the results that I have seen so far from Bielema but that is largely based on 4 games this season. For Arkansas, I hope that this changes, rather than having to start over from ground zero. That said, you state that things will improve in 2018 as being fact, when in actual fact, it is just your hope.

Allow me to rephrase; the prospect for improvement will be there in 2018.  Unfortunately, it looks like the next coach may be inheriting another dumpster fire, but hopefully we get a competent guy this time around.  I hope it's a younger, upstart type  of guy this time and we don't weigh his prior successes inside a weaker conference.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 01, 2017, 11:22:40 am
Allow me to rephrase; the prospect for improvement will be there in 2018.  Unfortunately, it looks like the next coach may be inheriting another dumpster fire, but hopefully we get a competent guy this time around.  I hope it's a younger, upstart type  of guy this time and we don't weigh his prior successes inside a weaker conference.

What exactly do you think you would be looking at by going to a "younger, upstart type of guy"? That description doesn't fit established HC's who have been successful in P-5 Conferences, so anyone you would be looking at according to your description comes from a place where he has had "prior successes inside a weaker conference".
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Even if a new guy has tough sledding for a year or so, it will be an improvement as that there will be hope.  3-8 with legitimate hope of improvement is preferable to 6-6 or 7-5 forever with no hope.

zuko

Yea, OK, but why do they have to do it here. Bielema is out of his element and he's finding out that the SEC is the best. Look what Clemson did to Louisvile. He probably will do better back in the Wisconsin area. Why is he having such a long rope and I could say the same thing about Mike Anderson.

zuko

Gus Malzahn is the guy for the Razorbacks. He knows Arkansas and he is a good recruiter and he will bring the players they need. If you look at the Razorbacks now, you could use the word "stagnent".  I believe all they have to do is "ask him and he will come."

hawgon

Quote from: zuko on January 01, 2017, 11:36:54 am
Yea, OK, but why do they have to do it here. Bielema is out of his element and he's finding out that the SEC is the best. Look what Clemson did to Louisvile. He probably will do better back in the Wisconsin area. Why is he having such a long rope and I could say the same thing about Mike Anderson.

He has a long rope because the AD tied us down, and convinced the other idiots in charge to go along with it, in a suicide pact disguised as a contract.