Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Until the $$$$ is affected, nothing will change

Started by hogz11, January 01, 2017, 01:04:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

Bielema's seat won't even begin to get warm until tickets go unsold and donations decrease or stop rolling in.

Jeff Long cares about integrity, academics, and money. Winning is secondary to him.

If Bielema runs a clean program, players grades are in order, and money keeps rolling in, then he can go 7-5 every year. Probably 6-6. All while he continues to get that cool 4 million a year.

The coaching staff won't be changed either unless Bielema actually wants the change. He certainly isn't receiving pressure from his boss to make changes.

Anyway, hope things improve but I'm not believing they will. I think we've all be duped by a loud mouth blowhard who is in over his head.

Fatty McGee

The above is true, but for the last line as the only person duping he fans is in their mirror.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hoggie17

Quote from: hogz11 on January 01, 2017, 01:04:29 am
Jeff Long cares about integrity, academics, and money. Winning is secondary to him.

This is the problem with our program.  In order for the Hogs to win, the
AD can't be happy with with 7 wins a year. He got that this year so yeah he
is happy.  The sad thing about the whole situation is that there is no pressure
on CBB to win.

The AD needs ties with U of A, he needs to bleed Razorback Red. 

007 License To Squeal

Then Jeff Long should be Dean of Education, not an Athletic Director...
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

harrisburghog

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggie17 on January 01, 2017, 07:28:06 am
This is the problem with our program.  In order for the Hogs to win, the
AD can't be happy with with 7 wins a year. He got that this year so yeah he
is happy.  The sad thing about the whole situation is that there is no pressure
on CBB to win.

The AD needs ties with U of A, he needs to bleed Razorback Red. 

Well, find a businessman that is interested in being the AD, ex-coaches don't fly in the SEC these days.

LJHOG

January 01, 2017, 08:46:02 am #6 Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 04:06:33 pm by LJHOG
And after Bielema, who?  Did any of you watch the games yesterday?  I guess not since y'all seem to think Saban would have our roster in the CFBCG and Bielama would be 6 & 6 with Bama's talent.
The whole lot of you can't seem to accept the fact that talent is not interested in Arkansas.  Never has been and likely never will be unless we match Chargers with Escalades.  End of story.

Hoggie17

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 08:23:11 am
Well, find a businessman that is interested in being the AD, ex-coaches don't fly in the SEC these days.
I am a retired businessman. We don't need a business man as AD. Some ex-coaches do OK, if my memory serves me correctly the AD at Ala is an ex-coach.  But if you want
integrity, academics, where winning is secondary Jeff Long is the perfect man.

Inhogswetrust

Bielema's seat won't even begin to get warm until tickets go unsold and donations decrease or stop rolling in.

If Bielema runs a clean program, players grades are in order, and money keeps rolling in, then he can go 7-5 every year. Probably 6-6. All while he continues to get that cool 4 million a year.

The coaching staff won't be changed either unless Bielema actually wants the change. He certainly isn't receiving pressure from his boss to make changes.

Anyway, hope things improve but I'm not believing they will. I think we've all be duped by a loud mouth blowhard who is in over his head.

He is smart enough to know boosters will not put up with that and continue to fund facilities and high contracts and such unless enough winning occurs over time. The question is how much time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggie17 on January 01, 2017, 08:47:42 am
I am a retired businessman. We don't need a business man as AD. Some ex-coaches do OK, if my memory serves me correctly the AD at Ala is an ex-coach.  But if you want

Battle did more than businesses, and as far as that goes, Long was a former coach, how you like that?

Battle:  Battle was the founder of Collegiate Licensing Company and served as the company's CEO until 2002. He also served as chairman of the board of Licensing Partners International, which, along with CLC, was acquired by International Management Group in 2007. Prior to starting CLC, Battle held a number of positions at Circle S Industries in Selma, Ala., where he helped extend the company from earning $12 million in annual sales to 10 companies earning a total of $60 million.

Hoggie17

Battle was run out of Knoxville on a rail and yeah he was out of football for a while, so ricepig does that mean you are happy with what we have now? I am not.

tlmack

LJHOG has it spot on. Arkansas is a good job but has never been a destination spot for either coaches or players. We can be an 8 win team with an occasional 9 -10 win season. We all know (or should) what challenges we have in recruiting. I am dang near 60 and have realized this is what it is. I am  not saying we should accept  mediocrity and not try to achieve sustained success but accept who and what we are.

Hoggie17

Quote from: tlmack on January 01, 2017, 09:08:56 am
LJHOG has it spot on. Arkansas is a good job but has never been a destination spot for either coaches or players. We can be an 8 win team with an occasional 9 -10 win season. We all know (or should) what challenges we have in recruiting. I am dang near 60 and have realized this is what it is. I am  not saying we should accept  mediocrity and not try to achieve sustained success but accept who and what we are.
With the mindset of our AD we are not at the level you describe. I am 70 and remember elite coaches FB and Holtz.  FB coached until he stepped down, this was his destination job.  My wife was was the adminstrative sec. Holt's room mate at Kent State I had a few occasions  for an informal conversation.  In 1980 I asked him if he was going to leave Arkansas.  He said he planned on retiring at Arkansas.  I think Hatfield planned on staying until he retired. Then we come to Nutt he would never have left this was his destination job. I an not sure what BP would have done.

Stop it everyone we are going back to the poor little arkansas no wants us attitude.  Pay a HC enough and he will stay.

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggie17 on January 01, 2017, 09:01:12 am
Battle was run out of Knoxville on a rail and yeah he was out of football for a while, so ricepig does that mean you are happy with what we have now? I am not.

Happy with the football record, no I'm not, but I don't see a change coming this season, therefore, just see no reason to rant and rave about it.

As far as the AD, Long is doing what he was hired to do, run the athletic department with a good balance sheet, take the PTB out of it that a certain degree, and hire coaches. I'm not from the microwave generation, I think it takes time to build at Arkansas, we'll know in two more years.

Hoggie17

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 09:34:52 am
Happy with the football record, no I'm not, but I don't see a change coming this season, therefore, just see no reason to rant and rave about it.

As far as the AD, Long is doing what he was hired to do, run the athletic department with a good balance sheet, take the PTB out of it that a certain degree, and hire coaches. I'm not from the microwave generation, I think it takes time to build at Arkansas, we'll know in two more years.
Yes our hands are tied with CBB with his hugh buyout. When do you think CBB will have the program that you speak of built. He's been on the job for 4 seasons.  His best recruit is now in the pros.

harrisburghog

Remember when the media was spewing Nutt was the best coach we can get bs? Razorback athletics needs a culture change. Fans can bring the change that's needed if they so desire.

tlmack

Holtz also didn't like to recruit,said so himself and went to Notre Dame that in the day recruited itself. There were plenty of people who tired of Hatfields 3 yards and a cloud of dust style and getting beat in back to back Cotton Bowls. I know,  was at both!

Hogfan1660

Quote from: LJHOG on January 01, 2017, 08:46:02 am
And after Bielema, who?  Did any of you watch the games yesterday?  I guess not since y'all seem to think Saban would have our roster in the CFBCG and Bislama would be 6 & 6 with Bama's talent.
The whole lot of you can't seem to except the fact that talent is not interested in Arkansas.  Never has been and likely never will be unless we match Chargers with Escalades.  End of story.

You lost me with "except"...

Quickdraw

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggie17 on January 01, 2017, 09:42:33 am
Yes our hands are tied with CBB with his hugh buyout. When do you think CBB will have the program that you speak of built. He's been on the job for 4 seasons.  His best recruit is now in the pros.

I don't know if he will build it, but we 100% have next year, and 90-95% the next. As far a "recruit" it takes a team, not a best recruit to make a team. Obviously, there was some discord this year, if that happens again, and the results are the same, he may not make year 6.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hoggie17 on January 01, 2017, 08:47:42 am

Winning has been secondary in college football for a couple decades. For all but a couple programs in talent rich areas and maybe notre dame, the national championship is a pipe dream.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Scott7703

Quote from: LJHOG on January 01, 2017, 08:46:02 am
And after Bielema, who?  Did any of you watch the games yesterday?  I guess not since y'all seem to think Saban would have our roster in the CFBCG and Bislama would be 6 & 6 with Bama's talent.
The whole lot of you can't seem to except the fact that talent is not interested in Arkansas.  Never has been and likely never will be unless we match Chargers with Escalades.  End of story.

I feel confident saying that most other competent coaches don't lose those final two games. Most successful coaches get out of the way and allow assistants to coach instead of micro managing to a fault. Arkansas will not improve until we 1) get a new coach or 2) our current coach learn to let others coach and get out of the way.

ballz2thewall

money is affected.

long is about 20mill short on the private donation portion of the new expansion. consequently, there are plans to take 10mill from the athletic budget to partially fill the gap. this is a "plan"; not sure how that will end up.

the other 10mill; a 10mill proposal to a local booster failed.

donations are already drying up.

money is a factor.
The rest of the frog.

ricepig

Quote from: ballz2thewall on January 01, 2017, 12:53:31 pm
money is affected.

long is about 20mill short on the private donation portion of the new expansion. consequently, there are plans to take 10mill from the athletic budget to partially fill the gap. this is a "plan"; not sure how that will end up.

the other 10mill; a 10mill proposal to a local booster failed.

donations are already drying up.

money is a factor.

Not really, $10M was in from the start from the Athletic Dept.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/sep/08/ua-stadium-s-expansion-set-for-final-vo/#/

ballz2thewall

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 01:04:30 pm

Not really, $10M was in from the start from the Athletic Dept.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2016/sep/08/ua-stadium-s-expansion-set-for-final-vo/#/

i'm talking about an additional 10mill. it's being floated to see if it'll "float".
The rest of the frog.

ricepig

Quote from: ballz2thewall on January 01, 2017, 01:09:23 pm
i'm talking about an additional 10mill. it's being floated to see if it'll "float".

So, you're saying they haven't sold the Founder's Suites?

$20M Founder's Suites
$10M Razorback Foundation
$10M Athletic Dept

$40M originally said?

NuttinItUp

Less athletic department money means less money available for coaching buyouts.

ricepig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2017, 01:26:45 pm
Less athletic department money means less money available for coaching buyouts.

Well, if you've ever read the 990's from the RF, they pay off the contracts.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 01:20:28 pm
So, you're saying they haven't sold the Founder's Suites?

$20M Founder's Suites
$10M Razorback Foundation
$10M Athletic Dept

$40M originally said?

my understanding is that the 20M is flat; short. that pitches were made to some that were considered doable, but were met with rejection.

in order to swing the bonds, that 40M has to be covered. thus, the contingency, or suggestion, is to pull at least another 10M from the athletic budget.

this is what is being "talked". it might happen that the founders 20M actually does come through, but i hear that it has not.
The rest of the frog.

ricepig

Quote from: ballz2thewall on January 01, 2017, 01:31:16 pm
my understanding is that the 20M is flat; short. that pitches were made to some that were considered doable, but were met with rejection.

in order to swing the bonds, that 40M has to be covered. thus, the contingency, or suggestion, is to pull at least another 10M from the athletic budget.

this is what is being "talked". it might happen that the founders 20M actually does come through, but i hear that it has not.

Well, I've heard it has. Yes, a couple they expected to jump on one of them laughed at them. They found two new ones, one from Texas who hadn't ever given much money, and another from some brothers in central Arkansas. Now, they aren't having people beat the door down on the NEZ suites because they are too high, plus the refurbish fee they are charging for the older ones isn't making everyone happy, but most knew of it.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 01:30:11 pm
Well, if you've ever read the 990's from the RF, they pay off the contracts.

So you are saying increase donations to the Foundation?

If you are saying the money to the athletic department goes mainly to facilities, scholarships, and other sports and not coaching contracts, then decreasing money to them hurts Arkansas athletics. (Which may or may not be the goal; I am not sure.)

ricepig

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 01, 2017, 01:35:35 pm
So you are saying increase donations to the Foundation?

If you are saying the money to the athletic department goes mainly to facilities, scholarships, and other sports and not coaching contracts, then decreasing money to them hurts Arkansas athletics. (Which may or may not be the goal; I am not sure.)

The RF guarantees the coach's contracts above the state maximum, they pay them off. I realize it's all the same pot to a degree, but then again, it isn't, lol.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 01:34:58 pm
Well, I've heard it has. Yes, a couple they expected to jump on one of them laughed at them. They found two new ones, one from Texas who hadn't ever given much money, and another from some brothers in town. Now, they aren't having people beat the door down on the NEZ suites because they are too high, plus the refurbish fee they are charging for the older ones isn't making everyone happy, but most knew of it.

i've heard the texas thing, but if i heard specifics i can't recall them. i haven't heard of the local brothers, unless that may include the one you mentioned that "laughed". i've heard quite a few details on that meeting.
The rest of the frog.

ricepig

Quote from: ballz2thewall on January 01, 2017, 01:38:19 pm
i've heard the texas thing, but if i heard specifics i can't recall them. i haven't heard of the local brothers, unless that may include the one you mentioned that "laughed". i've heard quite a few details on that meeting.

Nope, they just got a new one in BWA and courtside seats, too. The local brothers, wasn't quite correct, I know one of them, that's all I'll say. I'm not 100% were they would call their locale, haha.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 01:44:00 pm
Nope, they just got a new one in BWA and courtside seats, too.

trucking operation?
The rest of the frog.

ricepig

ballz2thewall

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2017, 01:46:14 pm
Nope.

hmmmmm. well, i'm too lazy to run it down, and i've got to go chop some tree roots out of a back yard....
The rest of the frog.

Hollywood870

Quote from: tlmack on January 01, 2017, 09:46:50 am
Holtz also didn't like to recruit,said so himself and went to Notre Dame that in the day recruited itself. There were plenty of people who tired of Hatfields 3 yards and a cloud of dust style and getting beat in back to back Cotton Bowls. I know,  was at both!
Back to Back conference titles and 10 win seasons. Dropped INT by Atwater from maybe playing for it all. I loved Hatfield.

tlmack

I also liked Hatfield but he wouldn't have lasted 3 seasons in the SEC in my opinion. As far as Holtz telling someone in a private conversation he wanted to retire at Arkansas, that is any coach with any program. You never know who is listening . Sort of like Petrino telling Louisville he was there for the long haul all while stabbing Tommy Tuborville in the back trying to get the Auburn job that wasn't even open.