Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's discuss the bright spots and next year promises...

Started by Hognspace, December 31, 2016, 01:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hognspace

I'm sick of reading and posting the negative. 
This group does have talent coming back on both sides of the ball.  I am excited to see how the defense will change with the graduation of Brooks Ellis.  The kid was a true warrior, but lacked the speed to be effective in this scheme.  There should be improved pass protection from LB corps and some of the guys that RS'd this season are hitters. The group committed are also upgrades in the LB department.  The secondary is solid.  Very excited about the defense recruiting this season.

Offense is a toss up to me.  The OL struggled to run block. I suspect that having skipper move on will help with run blocking. I loved the kids heart and intense play, but his height got him beat more than it helped.  This group has to show the most improvement in order for AA to be effective next season.  The RBs will be deep and very talented next year. Whaley is a stud and future pro back. TE will be better both Ogradey, and Krause block better than Sprinkle and O'Grady could be faster with better hands...crazy I know. 

I hope that the strength and conditioning coach takes a cue from Seattle, who trimmed Alex Collins down, and blends more speed and quickness into just lifting heavy weights and making cool videos.

My blessings to coach B and his beautiful wife on their future child.

Terryproy

You have to let the young stud do his thing .... no holding back in 2017. 21

lakecityhog

So your idea of positives is to stab in the back two departing Seniors that gave their heart and soul to this program for 4 years?? Sometimes I wish that some of these guys could have a "Wonderful Life" moment for some of you guys to see what our season would have been like WITHOUT Ellis and Skipper!!!

These are the kind of posts that infuriate me!!

Pardon me, I missed your cut on Sprinkle. You did leave out Hatcher, Morgan and a couple of others. Why don't you come back and modify your OP to hack on them?? Sprinkle had to give up a ton to help the team. He stayed in to block a LOT because that is what the team needed. With a good O'Line we probably have back-to-back Mackey winners. But you go right ahead and chop him down!

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

RebelliousHog

You make good comments. My only response is if these kids that are hitters why werent they playing? People use the " well they're freshmen" . You see freshmen playing on every team we've seen during the bowls. And playing well.

I'm a believer in playing person who plays the best and who can help you succeed. If that's a freshman over a senior so be it.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Hognspace

Naaa not to soon for me.  I'm done with the negativity.  I did point out some areas we should improve. It wasn't rainbows and fairytales but the sport isn't either.  It's a man's game. Identifying personal that played hard but had issues that limited execution at times is not negative. But not everyone will be able to get over it so soon. 

Hognspace

Quote from: HenduHog on December 31, 2016, 01:55:02 pm
You make good comments. My only response is if these kids that are hitters why werent they playing? People use the " well they're freshmen" . You see freshmen playing on every team we've seen during the bowls. And playing well.

I'm a believer in playing person who plays the best and who can help you succeed. If that's a freshman over a senior so be it.

Yep...agreed.  I hope that we get to a point that the best play and build competitive position battles at every position. Gibson being an example of getting the best player on the field regardless of how long a guy has been in the system.

Next year has some potential. Not national championship potential, but we should not be worse.

Sir Oinksalot

Haha, we will be fodder next season because we don't want to work for it.

Coaches promises mean nothing, sorry.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

farmhawg

I make a killer pizza on a kamado grill.
I promise to insert humor any time talking about hog football, better than crying.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Sir Oinksalot

....they are getting "softened up".
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Dirty

This feels about as bad as the time I was sitting in WMS and watched the Citadel. 

longpig

December 31, 2016, 02:28:20 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:28:25 pm by longpig
The bright spots I'm anticipating will be shining through vacancies in this coaching staff. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: farmhawg on December 31, 2016, 02:05:55 pm
I make a killer pizza on a kamado grill.
I promise to insert humor any time talking about hog football, better than crying.

The best Pizza I've ever had was cooked on my son's Big Green Egg. It was #uncommon.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

farmhawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 31, 2016, 02:40:13 pm
The best Pizza I've ever had was cooked on my son's Big Green Egg. It was #uncommon.
Dang good stuff, I might prefer it to a great steak.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hog N Bama

Bright spots will be empty seats in DRS after halftime

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 31, 2016, 01:46:54 pm
So your idea of positives is to stab in the back two departing Seniors that gave their heart and soul to this program for 4 years?? Sometimes I wish that some of these guys could have a "Wonderful Life" moment for some of you guys to see what our season would have been like WITHOUT Ellis and Skipper!!!

These are the kind of posts that infuriate me!!

Pardon me, I missed your cut on Sprinkle. You did leave out Hatcher, Morgan and a couple of others. Why don't you come back and modify your OP to hack on them?? Sprinkle had to give up a ton to help the team. He stayed in to block a LOT because that is what the team needed. With a good O'Line we probably have back-to-back Mackey winners. But you go right ahead and chop him down!

You missed his point. He wants you to know that the positive in this situation is Bret.

#lostasachristmasgoose

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

This...Bama's QB is a true freshman and playing in the biggest game of the year to date....Nick didn't have a problem with playing a freshman.

PRJ

farmhawg

Most coaches that prepare their players don't have a problem playing freshmen. That's the problem.
From theflyinghog

luke hawg

The offense should be the best since hiring Bielema. This is pretty obvious for anyone that's not he'll bent on being angry. Offensive line returns 4 starters with a senior capable of playing 4 of 5 spots well. Austin will be the best returning pocket passer in the west. The running back/fullback and tight end spots with addition of newcomers is most talented yet. Wide receiver is an unknown other than Cornelius with Martin being a nice addition. The most encouraging aspect of next years offense is that all players expected to contribute between the tackles are on campus.

The defense will benefit from an improved offense more than anything. The secondary and linebacker corps lose 2 contributors and should both be better units next season with potential stars in Dre greenlaw and Ryan Pulley. Agim and Capps were promising youngsters and Bijhon started to live up to potential finally. The ability of redshirted players the last 2 years to contribute will determine this teams win total. Edwards, Smith, Dalton, Tutt, Keaton, Walker, Lafrance, Baptiste, Phillips, Taylor, Guidry, Marshall, Smith, and Dean. There is room for freshman to contribute in the secondary at corner. Chevin Calloway is a huge recruit.

Luke Hawg, I hope BB doesn't read your post cause he will just pencil in your picks, call off Spring Practice and go on that SO MUCH NEEDED VACATION till one week before the first game.

The brightest spot I can clearly see for next year is it is one year closer to BBs exit from this program.

In any event, I can see where, IF COACHED, this next year could be an 8 or 9 win season, unless the mental state of the team on average has gotten so far out that no one can bring it back.  I am very serious about this.

lakecityhog

I kinda thought that last year we had a pretty fair TE lineup, but I'm sure this group coming up will make us forget Henry and Sprinkle!

Remember we returned 9 STARTERS on defense this year!

That is the kind of crap that gets people to have hope, would much rather have Lou telling us that he MIGHT be able to squeak out 3 or 4 wins.

luke hawg

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 31, 2016, 06:28:07 pm
I kinda thought that last year we had a pretty fair TE lineup, but I'm sure this group coming up will make us forget Henry and Sprinkle!

That is the kind of crap that gets people to have hope, would much rather have Lou telling us that he MIGHT be able to squeak out 3 or 4 wins.

Just going on recruiting rankings, it's all conjecture. Those guys were great just more depth now. In theory more 4 stars at a position means higher probability of good play. I think that's what the star gazers tell me.

coolbreeze3279

Hognspace

Oklahawg

Quote from: Dirty on December 31, 2016, 02:21:09 pm
This feels about as bad as the time I was sitting in WMS and watched the Citadel. 

Impossible. Citadel was at RRS.

EDIT: That said I bet there was a major "oops" loss in WMS that you might be remembering instead!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

It needs to be emphasized that CBB rushed too many players on the field prior to this year. He had to have freshmen provide depth. He didn't need it this year, although I agree with anyone who says we could have benefited from the talent infusion.

We redshirted players who could have contributed the last four games. They were not ready for the first eight games, so they got the "shirt."

If you are building a program that prioritizes long-term growth and development then you have to make the commitment to a redshirt program at some point. This was that year. The back seven on defense are longer and faster than we saw on the field this year. Harris showed us some things that are promising. Capps and Agim played admirably up front. Whaley, Hammonds, and Gunter are all going to be productive in the future - already showing signs of it.

Now, we don't really know about the redshirts. But we can see the shift in how we recruit beginning in the 2016 class. It takes a long time to materialize on the field, though.

The OL build is going to take a while. The three guys they have on campus from the 2017 class are not going to be on the field in 2017. So, using just this one example, we are going to have to acquire a longer gaze to see the vision of the program.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Some of UA's best teams historically have not been senior-laden teams. We were quite heavy with seniors this year. Once the bodies are removed from the 2-deep you may see some refreshing surprises. Won't know, of course, for a while.

My hope for 2017 is that the average poster learns to read the words of folks like Biggus and Jim Harris with a level of seriousness that is too uncommon these days. Biggus NAILED the OL situation last winter, and Jim Harris has consistently derided the defense for lacking long and fast back seven and legit DTs. Biggus chimes in and adds a real speed rush option at DE. 

Razor1997

A&M is losing Myles Garrett and I don't think they have a sure QB situation, so maybe we finally break through.

We get Auburn at home, so we should do a lot better than 56-3.

We might not have a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of beating Alabama in Tuscaloosa next year, but I'm absolutely certain we have at least a 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance.

coolbreeze3279

Quote from: Hognspace on December 31, 2016, 07:12:38 pm
Where does he play?  WR?

Yes... seemed to be an all round athlete to me.  Played some backup QB in high school as well.  Speed to burn.   And well... Saban had some interest in him and even stopped in at Smackover.

http://m.eldoradonews.com/news/2015/jan/28/jones-visted-nick-saban/

tophawg19

we have had good DT's but they weren't used right . and Wise was good to but hurt
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Oklahawg

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 31, 2016, 07:34:21 pm
we have had good DT's but they weren't used right . and Wise was good to but hurt

When we needed Wise to pin his ears back and "sic'em" he was good. Too often, he went upfield too far and RBs were able to duck underneath without so much as missing a beat.

I am a Wise fan and love a kid who fights through so much to get on the field this year. But, his run game work was not nearly as strong as his pass game work.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 31, 2016, 07:39:54 pm
When we needed Wise to pin his ears back and "sic'em" he was good. Too often, he went upfield too far and RBs were able to duck underneath without so much as missing a beat.

I am a Wise fan and love a kid who fights through so much to get on the field this year. But, his run game work was not nearly as strong as his pass game work.

Yeah, he did a pretty good job, especially in the first half against VT against the run, but you are correct, he ran himself out of most plays during the season. I kept expecting to see Flowers like effort, but was a little disappointed in it.

TheRazorback500

The schedule is more favorable. If we can handle TCU at home and contain SC's Bentley we could be 5-0 going into Alabama. As stated, A&M loses some key players. We have a legitimate shot in five of the last six games. Nine or ten wins = cooler seat for CBB.

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

tophawg19

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 31, 2016, 07:39:54 pm

to be good against the run , you have to be able to use your hands , he couldn't
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hognspace

Glad you mentioned the redshirted players. We did have some talent that could have helped, but were held out for long term success.  Thinking of getting to redshirt many if not most of the incoming class will only add to depth and long term development. 

I had forgotten just how far the program had fallen with two lost recruiting cycles.  The OL situation is amplified due to Pittman not recruiting well after his initial class and bust at the position.  There is hope.

kp72204

I reserve my right to change my answer being this is still 2016. First bright spot is Dan Enos will be here one more year due to not being able to keep an offense on par in the second half. Second is that maybe Charlie Partridge really enjoyed his time here and is willing to comeback.

luke hawg

December 31, 2016, 09:27:04 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:39:51 pm by luke hawg
Quote from: Oklahawg on December 31, 2016, 07:17:59 pm
It needs to be emphasized that CBB rushed too many players on the field prior to this year. He had to have freshmen provide depth. He didn't need it this year, although I agree with anyone who says we could have benefited from the talent infusion.

We redshirted players who could have contributed the last four games. They were not ready for the first eight games, so they got the "shirt."

If you are building a program that prioritizes long-term growth and development then you have to make the commitment to a redshirt program at some point. This was that year. The back seven on defense are longer and faster than we saw on the field this year. Harris showed us some things that are promising. Capps and Agim played admirably up front. Whaley, Hammonds, and Gunter are all going to be productive in the future - already showing signs of it.

Now, we don't really know about the redshirts. But we can see the shift in how we recruit beginning in the 2016 class. It takes a long time to materialize on the field, though.

The OL build is going to take a while. The three guys they have on campus from the 2017 class are not going to be on the field in 2017. So, using just this one example, we are going to have to acquire a longer gaze to see the vision of the program.

I agree with most your post but the offensive line build is done.

Senior Ragnow, Ramirez, Raulerson
Juniors Rogers Malone Wallace Froholdt Gipson, Hall
Sophomores Merrick Jackson,
Freshmen Heinrich, Hays, Hall,
Redshirt Freshmen Wagner, Clenin, Adcock, Horn

I included the walk ons because they are going to continue to contribute from this point forward. I'd like to get Rogers a redshirt year if he isn't a starter and bring in a Juco  tackle in 2019.

reddogjcss

When you do the same thing over and over again and respect a different result you have mental problems. We need big changes to have different results and I don't think Coach B can change big time.
Next year will be more of the same.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: luke hawg on December 31, 2016, 09:27:04 pm
I agree with most your post but the offensive line build is done.

Senior Ragnow, Ramirez, Raulerson
Juniors Rogers Malone Wallace Froholdt Gipson, Hall
Sophomores Merrick Jackson,
Freshmen Heinrich, Hays, Hall,
Redshirt Freshmen Wagner, Clenin, Adcock, Horn

I included the walk ons because they are going to continue to contribute from this point forward. I'd like to get Rogers a redshirt year if he isn't a starter and bring in a Juco  tackle in 2019.
Did Ramirez not redshirt?
Do you wanna get Rocked?

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 31, 2016, 06:28:07 pm

A coach coming out and saying this is the best defense he has ever had also gets people to have hope. Just another example of the cart before the horse.

The first bright spot for next year will be a humbled Bret Bielema who keeps his mouth shut and his nose to the grindstone for 15 hours a day, 6 days a week for the forseeable future. That would be a start.

PRJ

luke hawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 31, 2016, 10:34:09 pm
A coach coming out and saying this is the best defense he has ever had also gets people to have hope. Just another example of the cart before the horse.

The first bright spot for next year will be a humbled Bret Bielema who keeps his mouth shut and his nose to the grindstone for 15 hours a day, 6 days a week for the forseeable future. That would be a start.

PRJ

Bielema is going to continue to oversell his guys. You might want to start thinking for yourself.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: luke hawg on December 31, 2016, 10:55:05 pm
Bielema is going to continue to oversell his guys. You might want to start thinking for yourself.

Thinking for myself? Lol...

PRJ

rude1

The bright spot is that it's another year worked off that ridiculous buyout and gets us closer to the day we can cut bait and hopefully hire someone who is in tune with how the college game is being played today.

BassinHawg

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

luke hawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 31, 2016, 10:59:25 pm
Thinking for myself? Lol...

PRJ

Or don't. The press conferences aren't for you. You think all that us against the world crap Saban spews overselling every opponent is for the fans. Post game a Bama defender was actually harping on how disrespected they are. These coaches are brainwashing these kids 24/7. Apparently some of the fans get sucked in.

luke hawg

Quote from: luke hawg on December 31, 2016, 11:32:27 pm
Or don't. The press conferences aren't for you. You think all that us against the world crap Saban spews overselling every opponent is for the fans. Post game a Bama defender was actually harping on how disrespected they are. These coaches are brainwashing these kids 24/7. Apparently some of the fans get sucked in.

Bielema is trying to motivate his kids everyday to play better talent and believe they can win. Saban is trying to make his team full of elite athletes believe if they become complacent losses will happen. Are you understanding this concept? Bret said are defense full of veteran 3 stars that weren't good the year before are going to be awesome. He lied to me. He should have got in front of the microphone and said that the unit is hopeless. CMon Man

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: luke hawg on December 31, 2016, 11:38:14 pm
Bielema is trying to motivate his kids everyday to play better talent and believe they can win. Saban is trying to make his team full of elite athletes believe if they become complacent losses will happen. Are you understanding this concept? Bret said are defense full of veteran 3 stars that weren't good the year before are going to be awesome. He lied to me. He should have got in front of the microphone and said that the unit is hopeless. CMon Man

It is you who doesn't follow the concept and think for yourself. I know where you stand, you know where I stand. The guy is in over his head. This is just one small sample of what you call overselling. I call it being a loudmouth, being a clown. If it was one time, so be it. It isn't just one time. But time is growing near and we will see which one is correct. If you end up being correct, I will gladly admit it because the Hogs are winning.

I just don't think he has it in him to do any better than "being Bret Bielema"

PRJ

jgphillips3