Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema's honeymoon is over but don't be surprised if it works out.

Started by luke hawg, December 30, 2016, 11:26:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

The reality is that most iconic coaches at middle tier programs start to take off in years 5-7. Bielema's record to this point is very comparable to coaches like Snyder, Frye, USC Spurrier, Dan Mullen, and Alvarez to name a few. I've defended Bielema a lot because I wanted to give him enough time. He returns 16 scholarship offensive linemen with 4 starters, 3 talented running backs, and a plethora of 4 star tight ends led by a very talented QB that needs to mature a good bit. The defense will be all his players. This season was going to be rough due to attrition during coaching changes and playing talented players early in 2012-2014. It will be interesting to see what kind of team Bielema has built after pulling us out of the ditch. It is now time to start judging if this man can lead us to a conference crown.

sickboy

The only thing that I didn't expect from this season was how good Austin Allen's first half of the season was and how bad we were in the second half of games. Other than that, I picked us to win seven games and we did it, for the most part, how I figured we would.

go hogues

Quote from: luke hawg on December 30, 2016, 11:26:37 pm
It is now time to start judging if this man can lead us to a conference crown.
Oh ok, well now that you've eased our fears and all...
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

RagingHawgOn

Anyone who thought we'd be in the hunt by this year is smoking crack. This was a total rebuild. And, the rebuild is happening.

I've been a Hog fan since the first game I attended over 40 years ago. I hold a degree from my beloved UA and I donate and attend games because I believe in what's happening.

Do I think a few changes are needed? Hell yes.

Personally, I've always had 2017 circled as the year we should make a move. Will we? I sure hope so because I think we have the right guy at the helm. All the BS about firing CBB is, well, pathetic. If I'm proven wrong, I'll gladly step up and admit it.

luke hawg

Quote from: go hogues on December 30, 2016, 11:44:14 pm
Oh ok, well now that you've eased our fears and all...
How have a eased your fears? We could have another year similar to the last 3 which wouldn't be good enough.

ShadowHawg

Next season is not going to be any better than this one. The o line cannot pass protect. If they could it would have become better as the season progresses. There is only one good lb again and little proof that the secondary can improve either. We will lose to Bama, lsu, and auburn next season. Then we will have to come our on top in all of our 50/50 games to get to 9 wins. It's just not likely to happen.

EastexHawg

What is a "middle tier program"?

Broyles won conference championships and finished in the top ten in years 2, 3, and 4. Holtz went 11-1 and finished #3 in his first year.  We all know what Petrino did in years 3 and 4.

Spurrier won the ACC...at DUKE...in year three.  Urban Meyer went 10-2 in his first year at Utah and 12-0 with a BCS bowl win in year two. 

You try to carve out some sort of niche with the "middle tier" distinction because we all know what great coaches like Bryant, Royal, Carroll, Schembechler, and Meyer have done from the get-go, but even excluding the "big" schools I don't think your premise is necessarily true.

Speaking of Royal, he summed it up in his typical homespun way when he said,  "If a dog is going to bite he'll bite you as a pup." 

luke hawg

Quote from: luke hawg on December 30, 2016, 11:53:07 pm

How have a eased your fears? We could have another year similar to the last 3 which wouldn't be good enough.

We could also be a very good football team

luke hawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 30, 2016, 11:55:21 pm

Broyles won conference championships and finished in the top ten in years 2, 3, and 4. Holtz went 11-1 and finished #3 in his first year.  We all know what Petrino did in years 3 and 4.

Spurrier won the ACC...at DUKE...in year three.  Urban Meyer went 10-2 in his first year at Utah and 12-0 with a BCS bowl win in year two. 

You try to carve out some sort of niche with the "middle tier" distinction because we all know what great coaches like Bryant, Royal, Carroll, Schembechler, and Meyer have done from the get-go, but even excluding the "big" schools I don't think your premise is necessarily true.

Speaking of Royal, he summed it up in his typical homespun way when he said,  "If a dog is going to bite he'll bite you as a pup."

You discredit my post with examples of successful coaches at Alabama, USC, Michigan, and Ohio State/Florida. The Arkansas history is irrelevant and it's time some of you old heads start accepting it. We aren't in the SWC anymore. We are winning a championship with a team of white boys.  Spurrier had fast success at Duke but I can name 5 coaches to your 1 that took the 5-7 year route at programs not named USC, MIchigan, OSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, FSU, and Miami.

hogginbama

Luke Hawg, give it up. These cats know far more about football than your plethora of successful coaching examples who took 5-7 to complete a huge rebuild. It is obvious from the clowns on H'ville, posting from momma's basement as they wait for her to bring milk/cookies, that any coach can walk on campus and be in the playoffs in year one.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hog of steele

Conspicuous absence here is Sabah. Why did you skip him?

EastexHawg

Quote from: luke hawg on December 31, 2016, 12:06:35 am
You discredit my post with examples of successful coaches at Alabama, USC, Michigan, and Ohio State/Florida. The Arkansas history is irrelevant and it's time some of you old heads start accepting it. We aren't in the SWC anymore. We are winning a championship with a team of white boys.  Spurrier had fast success at Duke but I can name 5 coaches to your 1 that took the 5-7 year route at programs not named USC, MIchigan, OSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, FSU, and Miami.

Did you miss the parts about Duke and Utah?  Bear Bryant won at least some versions of the national championship at Kentucky.  You have a narrative you want to believe, or maybe that you want everyone else to believe.  That you have come up with a few examples that fit it doesn't make it the rule, or even the most common occurrence.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hog of steele on December 31, 2016, 12:18:55 am
Conspicuous absence here is Sabah. Why did you skip him?

How many years did it take him to win big at Alabama after Shula proved just throwing a Bama helmet on the field didn't scare anyone?  But maybe you mean Michigan State.  Was he 10-22 in conference after 4 years there?

hog of steele

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 31, 2016, 12:25:43 am
How many years did it take him to win big at Alabama after Shula proved just throwing a Bama helmet on the field didn't scare anyone?  But maybe you mean Michigan State.  Was he 10-22 in conference after 4 years there?

Ding ding ding

You skipped Sabah because at Michigan state, his record was shockingly average. If your opinion hold that great coaches are great right away regardless of their program, tell me more about Saban.

Southpointhog

Quote from: hogginbama on December 31, 2016, 12:14:22 am
Luke Hawg, give it up. These cats know far more about football than your plethora of successful coaching examples who took 5-7 to complete a huge rebuild. It is obvious from the clowns on H'ville, posting from momma's basement as they wait for her to bring milk/cookies, that any coach can walk on campus and be in the playoffs in year one.

I agree!!!!!   I have some doubts now, but I agree.  Anyone with any sense new this year would be tough!

Hogwild

I would just like to point out that we aren't comparing our program to the teams we used to compete against.

QuoteOklahoma, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Florida, FSU, and Miami.

but instead we are comparing our situation to programs like Kansas St, Miss. State, South Carolina. You know teams that had/have all-time losing records.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: luke hawg on December 31, 2016, 12:06:35 am
I agree with your premise, but to me where easttexhawg is missing the concept, Holtz took over a top tier program, Nutt took over what Ford built, Petrino took over a fairly healthy program, and brought in the best in- state recruiting class of this century anyway. Meyer did his deal by winning against weak competition. Bielema took over a dumpster fire in the toughest division of the toughest conference college football has ever seen. I am not happy with a lot but I see the roster slowly becoming the most talented 1-85 I have seen in my 40 years, and if he can fix some glaring issues like 2nd half collapses and a little more speed at LB and safety and we could be on the door step of being a conference championship contender which automatically puts us in the best in the country.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hog of steele on December 31, 2016, 12:28:43 am

Ding ding ding

You skipped Sabah because at Michigan state, his record was shockingly average. If your opinion hold that great coaches are great right away regardless of their program, tell me more about Saban.

Michigan State hadn't had a winning season in five years and was on NCAA probation when he took over.

By the way,  he also went 9-2 and won a conference championship in his only year at Toledo...so there's that, too.

GlassofSwine

The problem is Bielema hasn't shown he can improve on the areas he needs to. Disciplined and well coached teams don't blow leads like we have the last 2 games. Next year he needs to win 2 of 3 vs TCU, A&M and South Carolina to set the season up for a good year. If he can't do that we will be fighting at the end of the year just to be bowl eligible.

Hogsmo Kramer

Bielema's peaked already in the SEC west and he knows it too.

He's in WAY over his head.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hogsmo Kramer

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on December 31, 2016, 03:49:09 am
So you think he's gonna turn this around huh?!

Lol!
What you and many others don't get is that to the people that matter he HAS turned it around. What you see now with wins/losses is the pinnacle when combined with off the field success.

Y'all can scream and cry all you want but he's not going anywhere. He's VERY comfortable here...no pressure to win more than 6ish games and collects 4 million. Protected by an enormous buyout. Even without the buyout he would be safe with what is being accomplished.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: luke hawg on December 30, 2016, 11:26:37 pm
The reality is that most iconic coaches at middle tier programs start to take off in years 5-7. Bielema's record to this point is very comparable to coaches like Snyder, Frye, USC Spurrier, Dan Mullen, and Alvarez to name a few. I've defended Bielema a lot because I wanted to give him enough time. He returns 16 scholarship offensive linemen with 4 starters, 3 talented running backs, and a plethora of 4 star tight ends led by a very talented QB that needs to mature a good bit. The defense will be all his players. This season was going to be rough due to attrition during coaching changes and playing talented players early in 2012-2014. It will be interesting to see what kind of team Bielema has built after pulling us out of the ditch. It is now time to start judging if this man can lead us to a conference crown.

I have no problem with us having won only 7 games. I figured it would be 7-8, so I am o.k. with that. What I do have a problem with is how we lost 4 of our 6. Auburn, A&M, Missouri and Va Tech.

As it turned out we should have won at least 2 of those, there was no reason to get totally embarrassed and blown out by Auburn even in a loss and vs. A&M, you just can't give up 28 points in the second half (21 in the 4th quarter) while only scoring 7.

That's what I take exception with and you know, had we won the two that we should have we would have finished up 9-4 and no one would have logged all this time on here since Thursday night being ticked, even with the blow out loss to Auburn and failing in the second half vs. A&M.
Go Hogs Go!

goodguytex

2017 and 2018 have always been my make it or break it years for bielema. I knew going into this year there would be a lot of rebuilding to be done. Breaking in new Oline men and new QB is going to be difficult.

Next season we need to see a real breaking out into the 9-10 range on wins. 2018 needs to be the year we contend for the west.

If we are seeing more of the same at the end of 2017 and 2018, then bielema just isn't able to get it done, and it's time to go another way.

The real Hogules

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 31, 2016, 04:32:58 am
What you and many others don't get is that to the people that matter he HAS turned it around. What you see now with wins/losses is the pinnacle when combined with off the field success.

Y'all can scream and cry all you want but he's not going anywhere. He's VERY comfortable here...no pressure to win more than 6ish games and collects 4 million. Protected by an enormous buyout. Even without the buyout he would be safe with what is being accomplished.

You keep right on thinking that way, but Jeff Long isn't adding seats to the stadium, expecting those seats not to be filled.
If changes don't occur and next season goes like the last few have,  Long won't be able to fill the seats that he currently has.
We were prepared to turn back our 8 seats to the UofA, because of Frank Broyles inactions when Nutt was our coach, but they ended up giving him his "golden parachute" at that seasons end.
I believe in giving CBB time to get it right, but I expect to be able to see tangible improvement, whether it's through better coaching, or improved recruiting. This year I saw a team not even bother to show up against Auburn, and disappear in the 2nd half of games like A&M, Missouri, and Virginia Tech.
TOTALLY unacceptable.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hawgon

Bielema has lost two or three games he shouldn't have every single year he has been here.  And I'm not just talking about games we should have won on paper but didn't for whatever reason, I'm talking about games where we had the lead late and flat out had to blow to lose. 

You can't do that.  It kills a program.  Honestly, with even average coaching we could be looking at three nine or ten win seasons in a row.  Instead, we just blew our last two games in historically bad fashion and we go into next year and the recruiting season with zero excitement and the butt of many jokes.

Pig Worshipper

Of course anyone with any sense knew this was a rebuilding year. Sorry, folks, but that's Captain Obvious territory.

The unexpected parts were the complete psychological meltdowns in the second half of games and the complete beat downs in some games with almost no resistance.

I was a Bielema supporter but no longer. It is very clear that he can't cut it in the SEC. Nice guy and I wish him well but, if you can't see it, you are just clueless. The differences between Coach B and Coach Snyder and the other successful coaches named in this thread are legion, also obvious. Those coaches may have been losing still in years four or five but I'll bet they weren't losing in total-beat down-fashion or epic-second-half-collapse fashion.

I'm old enough now that even I, a white-bearded Captain Obvious can see that, just like with John Pelphrey, Jeff Long will stick with Coach Bielema at least two more years but probably longer. But we've all seen enough to know that it will not work out for Coach Bielema at Arkansas. I will be very happy to be surprised by his long awaited success but I've lived long enough to know better.

Hoggish1

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 31, 2016, 12:21:38 am
Did you miss the parts about Duke and Utah?  Bear Bryant won at least some versions of the national championship at Kentucky.  You have a narrative you want to believe, or maybe that you want everyone else to believe.  That you have come up with a few examples that fit it doesn't make it the rule, or even the most common occurrence.

One can believe the narrative they want to believe or not.  Luke Hawg's version is a good one for those who understand CBB isn't going to be fired  this year.

I'm all in with LH's narrative because if I'm not, I will just be a miserable poster with no options for another year but to bitch and howl at the wind.

I'd rather think everything finally comes together in year five.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 31, 2016, 12:34:54 am
I agree with your premise, but to me where easttexhawg is missing the concept, Holtz took over a top tier program, Nutt took over what Ford built, Petrino took over a fairly healthy program, and brought in the best in- state recruiting class of this century anyway.

Speaking of motorcycle boy, he also had the luxury during his ride with the West being the weaker side.  When you add that the SEC was worlds weaker, top to bottom than it is now, you get a best case scenario for Easy Rider that CBB did not walk into.

Hoggish1

Quote from: goodguytex on December 31, 2016, 06:53:50 am
2017 and 2018 have always been my make it or break it years for bielema. I knew going into this year there would be a lot of rebuilding to be done. Breaking in new Oline men and new QB is going to be difficult.

Next season we need to see a real breaking out into the 9-10 range on wins. 2018 needs to be the year we contend for the west.

If we are seeing more of the same at the end of 2017 and 2018, then bielema just isn't able to get it done, and it's time to go another way.

Absolutely agree.

AND if he is moved out of here after 2018, this will not be a bad program to take over, talent-wise top to bottom.

Hollywood_HOGan45

We've never had a team take off 2nd halves like this one.
Done with bielema.

BILLYBOB

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 31, 2016, 12:35:59 am
Michigan State hadn't had a winning season in five years and was on NCAA probation when he took over.

By the way,  he also went 9-2 and won a conference championship in his only year at Toledo...so there's that, too.

If your argument is Saban is a better coach than CBB, you can stop. I think the entire world agrees with you.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

artvandalay

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 31, 2016, 07:36:54 am
Speaking of motorcycle boy, he also had the luxury during his ride with the West being the weaker side.  When you add that the SEC was worlds weaker, top to bottom than it is now, you get a best case scenario for Easy Rider that CBB did not walk into.

What the heck are you talking about?  I'm not a CBP apologist but in his 4 years here the BCS national champs were Florida, Alabama, Auburn, and then Alabama again. With the last Alabama title being played against fellow SECW opponent LSU. To say the west was down during his tenure here is just garbage.  If anything it's a little weaker now, when's the last time an 8-4 team was our rep in the Sugar Bowl?

Hou-Hog

To think that the SWC was equivalent to SEC West is foolish.  Based on our in state talent and the ability to recruit to Fayetteville make this job more challenging than every other job in the job with the exception of State.

Redhogs

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 31, 2016, 04:32:58 am

The most accurate post in this whole miserable thread. Never seen such a complacent fan base in my life. This program deserves to be the loser that it is.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawgon

After being shown what a competent coach could do here in such a short time, I never thought this fan base would so wholeheartedly embrace mediocrity again.  The saving grace?  I don't think Bielema is even mediocre and I think it is really about to show.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on December 31, 2016, 08:55:51 am
After being shown what a competent coach could do here in such a short time, I never thought this fan base would so wholeheartedly embrace mediocrity again.  The saving grace?  I don't think Bielema is even mediocre and I think it is really about to show.

What I find shocking is that some folks like you actually think that the fan base embraces mediocrity. I don't think that there is a single poster on this board or that is a fan of Razorback Athletics that isn't all about winning more games. It is just that given the current administration and their overall goals for this program, there are more important things to them (the Administration) in football than winning 9 or more games every year.
Go Hogs Go!

BBHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 31, 2016, 12:21:38 am

So it's as easy as hiring a hall of fame level coach?  Wow, I have been overthinking this whole "winning" thing.  Let's just offer Meyer or Saban some money then.

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 31, 2016, 09:03:51 am
What I find shocking is that some folks like you actually think that the fan base embraces mediocrity. I don't think that there is a single poster on this board or that is a fan of Razorback Athletics that isn't all about winning more games. It is just that given the current administration and their overall goals for this program, there are more important things to them (the Administration) in football than winning 9 or more games every year.

Yeah?  I've told you that from the start and people have gone over the edge defending these guys. 

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 31, 2016, 05:19:34 am
I have no problem with us having won only 7 games. I figured it would be 7-8, so I am o.k. with that. What I do have a problem with is how we lost 4 of our 6. Auburn, A&M, Missouri and Va Tech.

As it turned out we should have won at least 2 of those, there was no reason to get totally embarrassed and blown out by Auburn even in a loss and vs. A&M, you just can't give up 28 points in the second half (21 in the 4th quarter) while only scoring 7.

That's what I take exception with and you know, had we won the two that we should have we would have finished up 9-4 and no one would have logged all this time on here since Thursday night being ticked, even with the blow out loss to Auburn and failing in the second half vs. A&M.

Thank you.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Hognspace

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 31, 2016, 06:57:11 am
You keep right on thinking that way, but Jeff Long isn't adding seats to the stadium, expecting those seats not to be filled.
If changes don't occur and next season goes like the last few have,  Long won't be able to fill the seats that he currently has.
We were prepared to turn back our 8 seats to the UofA, because of Frank Broyles inactions when Nutt was our coach, but they ended up giving him his "golden parachute" at that seasons end.
I believe in giving CBB time to get it right, but I expect to be able to see tangible improvement, whether it's through better coaching, or improved recruiting. This year I saw a team not even bother to show up against Auburn, and disappear in the 2nd half of games like A&M, Missouri, and Virginia Tech.
TOTALLY unacceptable.

This is an excellent post that is fair and speaks truth.

EastexHawg

It's telling that defenses of Bielema start with something like "this was always going to be a tough year, rebuilding year", "look at what Kansas State and Iowa did" or some other attempt at lowering expectations.

Bielema has been on the job four years.  Why did this have to be a rebuilding year?  Lack of talent?  If so, who is responsible for bringing in talent.  And Kansas State?  They were historically the worst program in the history of college football.  Iowa didn't have a single winning season between 1960 and 1980.  How many conference championships and top ten rankings did the Arkansas program have during that time?

But hey, let's not even go back that far.  Arkansas played in a BCS bowl and finished in the top 5 three years and two seasons before Bielema coached his first game.  I know it's the company line with a lot of people to either try to explain all that away, or even pretend it never happened, but it did.

TNRazorbacker

Next year will be another 6-8 win season. Not saying thats bad or good, but thats what it will be.

hawgon

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2016, 10:03:14 am
If this is true (and I am not suggesting it is false), the administration ought to come out and publicly state this.  As it is, and assuming your contention is true, apathy is fast taking hold of this program and its fanbase.

They can't do that.  Donations would dry up.

BloodRedHog

Because this is the "defend BB" thread and the defenders are full on with the off-season PR campaign that "everything will get better"
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

rude1

What you have seen with Bret is what you are going to get. It's always said that to have that special season you have to be able to win the close games. Well we actually did that this season except for Mo. and it turned out to be 7 wins, we lose those close games we pulled out this season, this team isn't even bowl eligible. Two consecutive years CBB has squandered great opportunities to have that 9-10 game season, this season it took melt downs of epic proportions to get it done. His history has always been one that can't come back from big leads, now he can't hold big leads, with him we are merely playing out the string of that awful contract that the idiot AD gave him after his sterling 7-6 season.

jkstock04

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 31, 2016, 06:57:11 am
TOTALLY unacceptable.
I think someone else said it best...we have mediocre results but the athletic administration convinces most everyone it is awesome and exceptional. Come end of summer of '17 it'll be high pitched fever again.

Combine that with the national perception that our fans should be ecstatic with 6-8 wins because "it's Arkansas" and you have the perfect recipe for acceptance of current results.

Even if ticket sales go down a bit there is still conference affiliation/SEC money. ADs (in the SEC at least) are not handcuffed by 'big money' doners any more.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

goodguytex

Quote from: BloodRedHog on December 31, 2016, 10:08:38 am
Because this is the "defend BB" thread and the defenders are full on with the off-season PR campaign that "everything will get better"
I'm not one defending bielema. I'm saying it's put up or shut up time coming very soon, or should be.

We have to start seeing tangible results, not talk, not wash, rinse, repeat. This is Bielemas program, it's his responsibility. And next season is when we need to see the results. 2018 needs to be a very special double digit win year. If that doesn't happen, and it's more of what we've been seeing, we need to move on.

allredhog

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on December 30, 2016, 11:51:00 pm
Anyone who thought we'd be in the hunt by this year is smoking crack. This was a total rebuild. And, the rebuild is happening.

I've been a Hog fan since the first game I attended over 40 years ago. I hold a degree from my beloved UA and I donate and attend games because I believe in what's happening.

Do I think a few changes are needed? Hell yes.

Personally, I've always had 2017 circled as the year we should make a move. Will we? I sure hope
so because I think we have the right guy at the helm. All the BS about firing CBB is, well, pathetic. If I'm proven wrong, I'll gladly step up and admit it.

THIS!  I am at 50+ years attending, foundation member and season ticket holder and I agree with this totally. 
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!