Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any one else feeling the pressure from their spouse to throw in the towel?

Started by Hawg2afault, December 30, 2016, 10:54:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

And I'll tell you this much, even that three hours was a chore this year when you planned your whole weekend around being home for the game and then watched them lay a huge turd.  Several times I just stayed in the deer stand.

OutlawHawg

I don't live in Arkansas so season tickets aren't an option but I know I'm less inclined to spend time and money to watch a darn product.

I almost went to the Mizzou game in Columbia thank god I decided not to. After that debacle I didn't even consider the bowl game which I'd been pretty set on going to earlier.

Much easier to watch it from the comfort of my home and then like yesterday when it's a complete darn show just turn it off and do something else instead of feeling like I wasted several hundred dollars and a whole weekend to watch a team of [CENSORED] and a morbidly obese coach quit.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on December 30, 2016, 11:33:06 am
Exactly.  What it does is penalize the people who the universities should be the most thankful for.  The ones who donate and pay and attend the games religiously.  Their thanks?  Paying ten times what the 20 year old kid paid for the same ticket in front of the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff.  What other business thanks and honors reliable customers like that? 

There was a great article by a Michigan beat writer about this a few years ago.  Interviewed some folks who had been season ticket holders for something like 40 years and who, on average, paid $350 a seat for their season tickets at the Big House.  And some kids got tickets to the seats behind them for free at a gas station the morning of the game.   

Cable TV companies
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Hardcore Hoggy

PLHawg

We gave up our season tickets a couple of years ago.  Besides the $$ commitment, it just became really taxing on our time.  Don't get me wrong, I loved tailgating, enjoying the game atmosphere, etc. but having to get up there at 10:00am to set up the tailgate and sometimes not getting home until 12 hours later really got to be a drag after a while.  In addition if you've made the $$ commitment you absolutely feel obligated to make the game no matter what.  I'm glad everyone doesn't have my attitude or the foundation would run dry, but there are definitely more economical ways to make it to the game, or better yet enjoy it in the privacy of your own home with your own food and alcohol.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: PLHawg on December 30, 2016, 02:04:25 pm
We gave up our season tickets a couple of years ago.  Besides the $$ commitment, it just became really taxing on our time.  Don't get me wrong, I loved tailgating, enjoying the game atmosphere, etc. but having to get up there at 10:00am to set up the tailgate and sometimes not getting home until 12 hours later really got to be a drag after a while.  In addition if you've made the $$ commitment you absolutely feel obligated to make the game no matter what.  I'm glad everyone doesn't have my attitude or the foundation would run dry, but there are definitely more economical ways to make it to the game, or better yet enjoy it in the privacy of your own home with your own food and alcohol.

and Lord knows we Hog fans need alcohol during the games. Nay , we deserve it.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I treat these games as family events and nothing more.
I now have zero expectations for razorback football with bielema.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on December 30, 2016, 11:21:56 am
Maybe not for everyone, but that's what I paid.  Had other options too.  And that was by far the game with the highest demand.  Could've gone almost for free to the others if you weren't too picky about location.

So what you are saying is that, basically, you would pay $6,000 to see Alabama play.

WilsonHog

One of the things that I am starting to think about is maintaining my donation to the Foundation, but switching my season tickets from football to baseball. Much better value, and I believe in DVH.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 30, 2016, 02:24:14 pm
One of the things that I am starting to think about is maintaining my donation to the Foundation, but switching my season tickets from football to baseball. Much better value, and I believe in DVH.
Big difference in price on those.

tlmack

I think its hilarious how people want their team to be super competitive but yet complain when it cost them money. I do believe college football is getting into dangerous territory as most games are on tv and many choose to stay home. I can't blame those that do but how are teams supposed to get revenue? The tv contracts can't pay enough to field all sports so teams have to depend on fan support. I currently live 20 miles from Kyle Field and even before expansion they packed that stadium. Since joining the SEC they have added seats and average over 100,000 per game. They also have had some lean years but they still pack that place. This is certainly a conundrum and I have no answer for.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

SemperFi

Quote from: Hawg2afault on December 30, 2016, 10:54:08 am
We've been season ticket holders since the late 1960s, missed only four home games since 1969.  Last night my wife asked, "How much longer we are going to throw away $6,000 or more a year to watch terrible Razorback teams?"  I've been hearing this argument from her an awful lot the past several years and it's getting more and more difficult to convince her to keep shelling out that kind of cash.  CBB's record of 25-26 isn't exactly what one would expect for the money we are paying him.  Anyone else feeling the pressure?  If so, give me a good reason to help persuade my wife to keep on keeping on. 

Hope.

If you've got the money and enjoy the comraderie of other Hog fans, then you continue for the sake of hope in that one magical season that you get to say that you were there.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on December 30, 2016, 11:20:22 am
And lets be clear, on the ticket issue, it's not only Razorback fans who are feeling this way.  Attendance is down everywhere, across the board.  By accepting the Monopoly money thrown at them by TV, college ADs have made tickets nearly obsolete.  Yes, being at the stadium is an event that is worthy of some cost, but the donations coupled with high ticket prices make those of us who donated and attended feel like chumps when someone behind you got their ticket for $10 and with the donation and full price, you paid something like $200.  It's not sustainable.  People across the country are saying enough.  I know I did.  Had nothing to do with product on the field, feelings for Bielema, etc.

Hmmmm... Seems like a couple of good games in Little Rock might not be a bad idea.!? 

Wait for it........
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on December 30, 2016, 11:50:07 am
True, but that is sort of like having the Oxygen channel on your cable/satelite. Of course given the choice you wouldn't pay the same amount, or any , for that channel as you do for ESPN, but your provider isn't stupid, so they have created a package where you HAVE to buy one to get the other.

Same with season tickets. Schools know that NO ONE is going to pay the same amount to watch them play Louisiana Monroe as they will to watch them play Alabama, but schools aren't stupid, so they package the tickets together. You MUST buy a ticket to the Louisiana Monroe game to be able to buy tickets to the Alabama game.

At least as far as season tickets go, which get priority over regular tickets.

Actually I cut the cord a couple of years ago. Get the ones I want to watch now for only $25 a month versus $140. They know that people will watch and not attend if cost is too high so they have to do things to try to help convince people to be there. They also know what the average person is willing to pay is dependent on coast and results. Winning more would help more than anything. IF a team doesn't win enough then donations and ticket sales are hurt.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tlmack on December 30, 2016, 02:36:06 pm
I think its hilarious how people want their team to be super competitive but yet complain when it cost them money. I do believe college football is getting into dangerous territory as most games are on tv and many choose to stay home. I can't blame those that do but how are teams supposed to get revenue? The tv contracts can't pay enough to field all sports so teams have to depend on fan support. I currently live 20 miles from Kyle Field and even before expansion they packed that stadium. Since joining the SEC they have added seats and average over 100,000 per game. They also have had some lean years but they still pack that place. This is certainly a conundrum and I have no answer for.

Fans understand what it takes to have a super competitive team. What they don't like is already paying for it and not getting it for as many years as ours have.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jkstock04

I'm seriously considering giving mine up this time around. It costs me just north of 3k & it's getting to the point where it's just not worth it to me any more. I used to think I was supporting a cause seriously commited to winning football games. It's more and more obvious all the time that's not the case.

I'm thinking to drop the tickets and just donate the minimum amount to keep my name in the hat in case the culture ever changes.   
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HAM ELLIOT

AirWarren

hogman64

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on January 01, 2017, 09:16:21 pm
when did tickets start costing 6 grand?

there are a lot of hog fans who after giving a donation to the Foundation and buying 2 to 6  season tickets or whatever plus the  cost for game weekends are paying 6,000 plus  related to Arkansas football each season.  There comes a time when a person will question whether or not they are getting the return they want from that.  I think the reality is more people are questioning that now than did before the 2016 season played out. Also the fans who pay 150  bucks for a couple of tickets and  a  drive to Fayetteville reach a point  where they consider the same thing. The amount of money is irrelevant  but the point is a good one, when does it become not worth the cash outlay for what a fan gets from the experience.  The blown leads the last few yeas have made a lot of  fans feel it isn't worth it.

kp72204

I say throw in the towel. I'm curious to what would be said and how they spin it if they lost up to 50% of season ticket holders. Would there be a 30 for 30 on it? The season that killed a fanbase. I'm getting excited about all the angle they could come from. CBB admitting it was a mistake to not get rid of CRS when the team got predictably worse. AD JL for not forcing CBB to make changes prior season. ETC......

HogFoo

I get season tickets.  I also spend easily at least 1500$- 2000 per game. I get 3 tickets.  I have pretty good seats.  I enjoy going to the games and ive had season tickets for years.  I told my wife before we got married that I got season tickets before her and i'll continue to get them after her. haha.  I'm not some couch potato and watch NFL all the time, or the NBA, or all these other sports.  The only football I really ever watch is razorback football.  And, the only basketball games are Hog ball, and same with baseball.   I'll sometimes watch the cowboys or patriots and usually the superbowl.   But, point is, the only sports I really like are the Hogs.  They, as have said by many, are my 'pro' team.   This is what I like to do.  My wife knows this.  She has stuff she likes to do.  And so, that said.  I will keep doing what I want to do.    I can afford it.  I have a nice big tv, with surround and all that.   But, I like the game atmosphere, whether we win or lose, I go into every game with hope that we'll win.  It's been harder the last few years but I have faith coach B is going to get it done, and when the post card reminders come out again reminding us that renewals are  due, i'll be getting my tickets again. Ill be building memories with my little girl, she's 7 and she's been going with me to games since she was a baby.  She loves going and she loves cheering the hogs.  It doesn't matter to her if the hogs are winning because she got to spend time with her mommy and daddy at the game.  She always has fun and I always have fun with her.  So, like I said that is worth it for me.   

People have different priorities though when money gets tight.  thats just life.   How much are you willing to give to have a good enjoyable time?  For me, it's still worth it.  It's a personal journey tho.  If you don't think it's worth it anymore and the bad outweighs the good for you, then perhaps anyone on the fence pondering whether they should renew season tickets should take a hard look about getting them in the future.   The Tvs they have now, are very nice.  Surround sound systems, good lazy boy recliner, better view.   Warm on a freezing game day,  cool on a very hot humid game, or dry  on a rainy game day.   If it's too much for you to want to deal with or put up with , then, don't get your tickets and allow someone else who wants to build memories have your seats.

wps!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

hogfanmd

A few thoughts.

#1- so the person spending 6,000 is wasting their money but there have been so many posts about just casually paying a 15 million buyout, so I guess that means it's ok for someone else to waste money to get rid of Bret. 

#2- in response to the OP, my wife and kids say those same things too.
They put up with the games because they know I love to go.  Going to less each year due to my kids athletic commitments.   I ashamed to say what I spend a year but I got an added gift this year other then a 7-6 season.  I'm losing my east outdoor club seats due to construction and likely my parking spot as well.  The way the donations and tickets are set up if you ever blink and skip a year you goto the back of the line.  Seems like a ponzie scheme at times.  Honestly if the donation was not tax deductable at this point might just fold.   Going to try to stomach it until kids start college.  If they goto the UA will definitely want the tickets.  If not probably let them go. 
Make no mistake , other then a handful of multi million or billionaires the TV and conference money has made the smoke filled back room of decision makers obsolete 

Travel volleyball and basketball for 2 kids takes a bite of the budget too

JIHawg

She's mad at me for not being able to watch an entire ball game any more, basketball and football, and the things I yell right as I quit watching.