Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas has never hired the "right coach"...never will.

Started by snoot hoggy hog, December 29, 2016, 11:47:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

Since Broyles, Arkansas has had a history of hiring the wrong guy. If CBB is fired or leaves another wrong guy will be hired right behind him.
We can't help ourselves. We've told some good ones "no".

jgphillips3

Petrino was the right guy.  Who knew he'd screw the pooch?

Sooie71923

Mediocre job brings mediocre coaches.

Tier 2 jobs brings tier 2 coaches. 

Destination job for few, stepping stone for many.

Gonzo

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on December 29, 2016, 11:47:55 pm
Since Broyles, Arkansas has had a history of hiring the wrong guy. If CBB is fired or leaves another wrong guy will be hired right behind him.

Depends on what you mean by "the wrong guy". I can think of a couple or more since then that I wouldn't consider "the wrong guy".

Go Hogs!

snoot hoggy hog

The same offensive genius Petrino that couldn't go undefeated with the most explosive college qb since Mike Vick?

Bebop

Well, we need to the "right" one to say "yes". The fact that we have had opportunities shows that coaches are interested.

XavierZane

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 29, 2016, 11:49:09 pm

Almost everyone knew he would... he has screwed every team he has coached for... which is why he was the wrong guy.   

jgphillips3

Quote from: XavierZane on December 29, 2016, 11:52:47 pm
Almost everyone knew he would... he has screwed every team he has coached for... which is why he was the wrong guy.   

No.  Everyone thought he would leave us for another job...a better job.  Harley Gate was far beyond anyone's possibilities.  He was the right coach at the right time.  Would it have lasted?  Who knows.  However, he had the "it" factor that we need. 

Hawghiggs

hogsanity

very few programs then have hired the right coach, but many have hired the guy who they THOUGHT was he right coach at the time he was hired.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ImHogginIt

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 29, 2016, 11:49:09 pm

He didn't screw the pooch his AD did. Nobody outside of the AD's office gave a damn who the coach was screwing on the side. Hog fans didn't. If they did they would have raised hell over Sutton and Kelly Minton or Nutt and Donna Bragg.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 30, 2016, 12:07:23 am
He didn't screw the pooch his AD did. Nobody outside of the AD's office gave a damn who the coach was screwing on the side. Hog fans didn't. If they did they would have raised hell over Sutton and Kelly Minton or Nutt and Donna Bragg.

Bobby is the DA that hired her - made things a lot more complicated from a legal standpoint vs just a booty call/sideho.

snoot hoggy hog

In hindsight you would still take Petrino over Malzhan?

Holtz and Hatfield over Jimmy Johnson?

Nutt over Carroll?

lasthog

At least he wasn't getting serviced in the oval office.

Gonzo

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on December 30, 2016, 12:14:58 am

Nutt over Carroll?

First one, I would.

I don't recall Johnson being a candidate when Holtz was hired, but in hindsight probably yes over Hatfield, though Hatfield has the highest winning percentage at the UA helm, tough to know if JJ would have been even better, would have been nice if he were.

Definitely Carroll over Nutt, not even in hindsight. Carroll already had a nice NFL career and had been up for several HC jobs there, much better resume than Nutt IMO. Don't recall if PC was a real option, but I know at the time I thought Nutt over Tubberville was a bad choice, and that wasn't an isolated idea.

Go Hogs!

HiggiePiggy

Nutt over Carroll?

I would take petrino over malzahn in a heart beat.

Hiring Nutt was a joke.  He came from Boise State and went 6-5 there in his only year as a division 1 head coach. Too bad we had a dumbass AD then who was all about himself instead of the program. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 30, 2016, 12:38:32 am
I would take petrino over malzahn in a heart beat.

Hiring Nutt was a joke.  He came from Boise State and went 6-5 there in his only year as a division 1 head coach. Too bad we had a dumbass AD then who was all about himself instead of the program. 

AD had little to do with that. JFB wanted Tubberville, and had him all but signed, then White came along with his committee and fricked that up. The last coach that JFB was allowed to hire all on his own was Van Horne, and that worked out pretty darn good,
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ImHogginIt

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 12:42:18 am
AD had little to do with that. JFB wanted Tubberville, and had him all but signed, then White came along with his committee and fricked that up. The last coach that JFB was allowed to hire all on his own was Van Horne, and that worked out pretty darn good,

This

mckinneyhog5

That same attitude is what caused the scumbag his job. He felt he shouldn't have to answer for his dumbass choices. He made the decision to lie after he had been caught red handed.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 30, 2016, 12:45:51 am
That same attitude is what caused the scumbag his job. He felt he shouldn't have to answer for his dumbass choices. He made the decision to lie after he had been caught red handed.

He was married. He was going to lie. His AD didn't have to make everything public unless he had an agenda.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 30, 2016, 12:48:04 am
He was married. He was going to lie. His AD didn't have to make everything public unless he had an agenda.
BPs the one that went on TV and lied about it. He had also lied to his AD. The only person responsible for how everything that went down is BP.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 30, 2016, 12:54:06 am
BPs the one that went on TV and lied about it. He had also lied to his AD. The only person responsible for how everything that went down is BP.

He ended up on tv only because his superiors made a big deal out of it. You sir can enjoy mediocrity for years to come. You deserve it.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: ImHogginIt on December 30, 2016, 01:08:38 am
He ended up on tv only because his superiors made a big deal out of it. You sir can enjoy mediocrity for years to come. You deserve it.
after he lied to them...had he told the truth they would have never sent him to appear on T.V. Knowing that.  Again, he caused everything that happened to him. He's a grown man and you and him need to accept responsibility for your actions. Lying about a wrong only compounds it.

HighcountryHog

Believe me, the Hogs are being laughed at right now just as bad as when BP screwed up.  If recruiting turns out to be more of the same, I just don't see any aspect of this program moving in the right direction.

The bar was set pretty low with JLS, but it's starting to come back into view.
no bumps, no fat chicks

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 12:42:18 am

People don't realize just how bad White hurt Arkansas athletics and his name is NOT mentioned enough in a lot of our issues.

Hawg414

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on December 29, 2016, 11:52:22 pm
The same offensive genius Petrino that couldn't go undefeated with the most explosive college qb since Mike Vick?

you mean 3* recruit Lamar Jackson?  nevermind that petrino has helped develop him from a 3* recruit to, what you called, the most explosive QB since michael vick... now its a knock on petrino bc he didnt go undefeated??

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: hog13hog on December 30, 2016, 12:13:47 am
Bobby is the DA that hired her - made things a lot more complicated from a legal standpoint vs just a booty call/sideho.

This. He didn't just break the rules. He broke the law.

EFBAB

Dr. Starcs

We need a recruiter and an intelligent coach. M

PJ fleck anyone?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 30, 2016, 03:42:30 am
People don't realize just how bad White hurt Arkansas athletics and his name is NOT mentioned enough in a lot of our issues.
Apparently not because I don't even know who he is. Care to educate a humble millennial?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

maknbacn

Like the university couldn't have handled that..cmon..she probably got paid off anyway. She is going to sue someone for being involved in an affair? Happens all the time. Bible thumper long sent our program into a spiral, he could have used some sort of punishment and moved on...petrino had a scheme that gave mid level teams like ours a shot, similar to baylor, osu, west v, etc...cbb scheme does not work because he cannot recruit the players here to make it work. Petrino made us a "threat" with his scheme, he might not have won a NC here but facts are facts..he had us in a BCS. Those are facts. CBB is trying to play old school football, which I like...the hogs won't ever get much better with that scheme...the teams similar to us in recruiting ability that threaten top tier teams have a offense scheme like a petrino, briles, holgersen,gundy etc...if we want to get better bowl games and maybe 1-3 losses we will get a coach similar. CBB will always have 3-6 losses and 3 will be rare.

Big Boi

Quote from: Gonzo on December 30, 2016, 12:33:40 am
First one, I would.

I don't recall Johnson being a candidate when Holtz was hired, but in hindsight probably yes over Hatfield, though Hatfield has the highest winning percentage at the UA helm, tough to know if JJ would have been even better, would have been nice if he were.

Definitely Carroll over Nutt, not even in hindsight. Carroll already had a nice NFL career and had been up for several HC jobs there, much better resume than Nutt IMO. Don't recall if PC was a real option, but I know at the time I thought Nutt over Tubberville was a bad choice, and that wasn't an isolated idea.

Go Hogs!
They went as far as putting JJ name on Franks old office. When Holtz got the job JJ felt betrayed and went to Pitt.

Hoggish1

GuvHog

No Bobby didn't hire her, he just recommended her to the hiring committee who approved her hiring. Jeff Long however, was the one who did the actual hiring.

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on December 30, 2016, 06:47:14 am
This. He didn't just break the rules. He broke the law.

EFBAB

No, no law was broken.

Let's stop with the false tales once and for all.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

December 30, 2016, 08:37:00 am #34 Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:14:19 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on December 29, 2016, 11:47:55 pm

We've had Two coaches that have won a NC after Frank. One before getting hired and one after. The fact they didn't win one here first doesn't make them a wrong hire here. It makes their hire look good after the fact. Plus we had Hatfield and Petrine and Bret. All considered good hires at the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PearlHarbor

Quote from: Sooie71923 on December 29, 2016, 11:50:16 pm

We are not even a stepping stone.

GuvHog

In a New York Minute.

I'll go even farther. At the end of the 2014 season, I stated that I would not trade CBB for Petrino because at the time I actually believed CBB had the program headed in the right direction. After what has transpired this season, I've changed my mind about that. Even with all of his warts, I'd take Bobby Petrino back as Hog HC in a heart beat.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Gonzo

Quote from: Big Boi on December 30, 2016, 07:31:21 am
They went as far as putting JJ name on Franks old office. When Holtz got the job JJ felt betrayed and went to Pitt.

Fair enough, as I said, just didn't recall he was a candidate at that point. I knew he was when Hatfield was hired. Part of the difference in awareness of a 14 year old and a 21 year old Hog fan at the time I guess.

Go Hogs!

BassinHawg

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Sooie71923 on December 29, 2016, 11:50:16 pm

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

zebradynasty

Quote from: maknbacn on December 30, 2016, 07:13:46 am
Like the university couldn't have handled that..cmon..she probably got paid off anyway. She is going to sue someone for being involved in an affair? Happens all the time. Bible thumper long sent our program into a spiral, he could have used some sort of punishment and moved on...

I don't think UA was scared of her suing necessarily but the dozens of other candidates that didn't get the job certainly would have a case. UA very well could have beat all comers wanting to sue but....

No doubt in my mind a bull dog can kick a skunks rear end but I guarantee at some point during the fight the bull dog is going to wonder was it worth the stink! 8)

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Hawg414 on December 30, 2016, 03:42:55 am
you mean 3* recruit Lamar Jackson?  nevermind that petrino has helped develop him from a 3* recruit to, what you called, the most explosive QB since michael vick... now its a knock on petrino bc he didnt go undefeated??
Blows the mind doesn't it. .this is what they got as we wollow in pure misery.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogsanity

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 30, 2016, 06:54:19 am
Apparently not because I don't even know who he is. Care to educate a humble millennial?

He was chancellor of the University, and the typical egg head academic who tried to meddle in the athletics dept because he felt threatened by it I guess. He did not like athletics, did not like how much power & influence athletics held at the university. When Ford was fired, White insisted there be a committee and that any coach hired go through a interview process, which of course hinders finding a coach that might already have a job because they did not want people knowing they were interviewing. Prior to that JFB had been charged, as AD, to go out and get coaches. He hired Holtz & Hatfield that way, Sutton and Richardson, and DVH.   

Buff

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 29, 2016, 11:55:48 pm
No.  Everyone thought he would leave us for another job...a better job.  Harley Gate was far beyond anyone's possibilities.  He was the right coach at the right time.  Would it have lasted?  Who knows.  However, he had the "it" factor that we need. 

This, all of it.  If he had simply left for another job, we could have possibly hired a coach to keep our momentum rolling.  Instead, Jeff tripped over his own ego and had to make the decision to hire John L. Smile.  Momentum killed.  The only momentum Bret is ever going to get is if someone pushes him down a steep hill.

userpick

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 30, 2016, 12:01:07 am
It takes hiring the right AD first.

It's amazing to me how most people don't believe this. Everyone keeps saying "Fire Bret, Fire Mike A"...the  real problem is that loser that makes the decisions. How in the hell is he not on the hot seat?

hogsanity

So how do you KNOW you have the RIGHT coach before they ever coach a game. Obviously hiring the right coach is really hard or no one would ever have to fire coaches. Bama hired Shula and Duboise. LSu hired Dinardo. FLA hired Zook. KY hired - well insert name of wrong guy here. Tn - 3 wrong hires after they let Fulmer go. Michigan hired Rich Rod. Notre Dame - last 3 or 4 have been bad, and then possibly the worst hire of all time when they hired Jerry Faust. The list of hiring the WRONG guy would be very long. The RIGHT hire would be a very short list.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Big Boi on December 30, 2016, 07:31:21 am

Get your facts straight. JJ was never the head coach at Pitt.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

userpick

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2016, 09:36:32 am
So how do you KNOW you have the RIGHT coach before they ever coach a game. Obviously hiring the right coach is really hard or no one would ever have to fire coaches. Bama hired Shula and Duboise. LSu hired Dinardo. FLA hired Zook. KY hired - well insert name of wrong guy here. Tn - 3 wrong hires after they let Fulmer go. Michigan hired Rich Rod. Notre Dame - last 3 or 4 have been bad, and then possibly the worst hire of all time when they hired Jerry Faust. The list of hiring the WRONG guy would be very long. The RIGHT hire would be a very short list.

Shula was fired after 4 years. Zook fired after 3. Rich Rod, 3 years and out. That's one difference in great programs and shittty one likes us.

ThisTeetsTaken

December 30, 2016, 09:45:30 am #49 Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:41:51 am by ThisTeetsTaken
We need ASU's athletic director.  He seems to know how to hire good coaches.  We would be better off hiring up and comer young dynamic coaches, riding them until they get a destination job, rinse and repeat. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***