Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who are state of Arkansas's best all-time football players by county?

Started by jbcarol, December 22, 2016, 01:18:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JBoroHog

Agree, Ricepig. Scott Bull is worthy. Tommy Sain & Clovis Sweeney were great, too. Wayne Dorton was an early great out of Nettleton's program

Dropkick

Quote from: MTBrookHog on December 22, 2016, 01:22:16 pm
Poinsett would be either Teddy Barnes or Marcus Monk
Joe Holliman from Trumann is a legend in the CFL.

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 22, 2016, 03:24:34 pm
Lonoke County - Brad Shoup (UA), Steve Burks (ASU), Charles "Spanky" Gilliam (Air Force Academy) or Hartford Hamilton (UA)

Tom Ed Gooden was pretty good.  Committed to the Hogs but elected to go to Harding.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Dropkick on December 22, 2016, 03:30:50 pm
Joe Holliman from Trumann is a legend in the CFL.
Elbert Shelley from Trumann was a beast on special teams for the Atlanta Falcons.

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Bill Bergey Greene County  Verle Mitchell Greene Co Tech

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

allhogislost

Sebastian I would go with Martine Bercher. He is on all century team and was All American.

26.2Hog

Quote from: revolution on December 22, 2016, 03:02:43 pm
Saline County - Bubba Barrow?

Started at linebacker for the Hogs in 1989.

Can't say for sure he's #1, but definitely in the conversation.

George Cole, all SWC quarterback for Arkansas in 1927, was born in Bauxite, but I sure don't remember him. But he also would be considered.

Also from Saline County - Bud Brooks, Outland Trophy winner

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 22, 2016, 03:38:04 pm
Tom Ed Gooden was pretty good.  Committed to the Hogs but elected to go to Harding.

Forgot about Goose.     Also, I'd add Vaughn Edwards (UCA).

Came close to saying one of the Gasaway brothers from Carlisle, but they're just on the outside looking in.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

26.2Hog

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 22, 2016, 03:49:54 pm
Forgot about Goose.     Also, I'd add Vaughn Edwards (UCA).

Came close to saying one of the Gasaway brothers from Carlisle, but they're just on the outside looking in.

Missed it by thaaaaatttttt much.

sw403

Clay Co.  Gary Adams  Set interception record for Hogs, 13 and UA Hall of Honor

ricepig

Quote from: sw403 on December 22, 2016, 03:53:57 pm
Clay Co.  Gary Adams  Set interception record for Hogs

I had definitely forgotten about him, and where he was from.

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

26.2Hog

porcelet

Union:  Wayne Harris  MVP of Frank's early teams 58-60.. set the standard for hog lnebackers

mutt

deedster84

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on December 22, 2016, 03:48:36 pm

Bill Bergey Greene County  Verle Mitchell Greene Co Tech

Bill Bergey was from Ohio and went to ASU. Don't think he lived in Greene Co. I've been wrong before though. Verl is from a huge family. Went to school with his brothers and sisters.

porcelet

Garland: Bobby Mitchell..running buddy with Jim Brown on the great Cleve Browns teams

WJBilly

Pope:
Donnie Bobo or Zach Hocker, Wilson Matthews also comes to mind but he was better known as a coach.

The Hawg Marshal

tannerstahl

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 22, 2016, 02:07:22 pm
Pope County- Corliss

lol can't argue that one, for football I'd say zach hocker...although if Landon leach doesn't tear his shoulder up I think he could've been pretty solid ...just an opinion of course GO HOGS GO!
i love the hogs....so very very much

jimmiewkersh

Raven Caldwell or Andy Upchurch - Sebastian - Fort Smith Northside  Raven was a headhunter LB and Andy was OL at U of A.
In my 10th grade year, Coach Ray Allen Toothacher lined me up against both of them at the same time in "Murder Drill"  I ceded defeat, dropped my helmet and last time I ever played football.

oldhog63

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 22, 2016, 03:49:49 pm
Also from Saline County - Bud Brooks, Outland Trophy winner
Pretty sure Bud Brooks is from Cross County...at least where he played HS football (Wynne)
Also from Cross County: Wayne Martin, DeAngelo Williams
Hard to pick best among those three. I guess would depend on your era and criteria for 'best'.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: oldhog63 on December 22, 2016, 04:46:11 pm
Pretty sure Bud Brooks is from Cross County...at least where he played HS football (Wynne)
Also from Cross County: Wayne Martin, DeAngelo Williams
Hard to pick best among those three. I guess would depend on your era and criteria for 'best'.
I forgot about DeAngelo and didn't know about Bud Brooks.

Hawgphish

crittenden county- earl easley, charles stackhouse, dearrious howard, james white...

CoachVisor

Quote from: 26.2Hog on December 22, 2016, 03:52:31 pm
Pulaski County - Dan Hampton, Pro Football Hall of Fame

Great Choice! I would add Leslie O'Neal and Leotis Harris but there are several more that could be listed.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawgdavis

Phillips

Ken Hatfield
Freddie Childres

I'm sure there are more just need time to look them up but a pretty good start

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

TOM "tbw1"

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

ricepig

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: hawgdavis on December 22, 2016, 06:31:18 pm
Phillips

Ken Hatfield
Freddie Childres

I'm sure there are more just need time to look them up but a pretty good start
Bill Gray

tophawg19

you could make a case in ouachita county for  Corey Williams from Harmony Grove . he had a great pro career
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pigasaurus

Ashley Co.

Jessie Clark
Bill Pierce-QB, won state decathalon in h.s.
Keith Kidd
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

blking64

Johnson County - Howard "Red" Hickey (Invented Shotgun Formation as Head Coach of 49ers in 1960).

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

texhog22

Quote from: PintailKiller on December 22, 2016, 03:22:33 pm
Phillips County - Ken Hatfield
Ouachita County - Shawn Andrews
or even Freddie Childress (Phillips Co)

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 22, 2016, 01:45:12 pm
Alex Tejada - Washington

Seriously? Ha!
That Mustain kid was pretty good, too.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Fan1958

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 22, 2016, 03:24:34 pm
Lonoke County - Brad Shoup (UA), Steve Burks (ASU), Charles "Spanky" Gilliam (Air Force Academy) or Hartford Hamilton (UA)

How about Ray Hamilton from Lonoke. 3 year Arkansas letterman and had a pretty good career with the Rams best I remember.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

ballz2thewall

Quote from: jbcarol on December 22, 2016, 01:18:43 pm
This is a reapplication of a published listing that was done for the state of Alabama.

Examples

Willie Roaf - Jefferson Co.

Matt Jones - Crawford Co. -or- Sebastian Co.

Darren McFadden - Pulaski Co.

Clarence McHan - Chicot Co.

Bobby Crockett - Chicot Co.
The rest of the frog.

PossumFan

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Fan1958 on December 22, 2016, 08:20:09 pm
How about Ray Hamilton from Lonoke. 3 year Arkansas letterman and had a pretty good career with the Rams best I remember.

If you remember Mr. Ray's career with the Rams, you are really up in the years!

BTW, I call him Mr. Ray because he was a close family friend.  Thanks for mentioning him.

ballz2thewall

The rest of the frog.

pignparadise

White: Gil Stegall comes to mind (USFL record for most catches in a game). However the greatest was Larry Gardner.
I played with Larry one of the greatest high school football players to come out of Arkansas. He averaged 25.3 tackles a game for a 10 game season (state record still today 43 years later). He had 39 tackles against  top ranked Hot Springs Lakeside in one game (still a state record). He signed with the Hogs and left after two years. His linebacker drills as a freshman  against Dennis Winston a senior were legendary.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Tusks

Craighead, John Reese Sr.  it's who Bill Montgomery under threw against TX on the final drive in 69.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: pignparadise on December 22, 2016, 08:49:08 pm
White: Gil Stegall comes to mind (USFL record for most catches in a game). However the greatest was Larry Gardner.
I played with Larry one of the greatest high school football players to come out of Arkansas. He averaged 25.3 tackles a game for a 10 game season (state record still today 43 years later). He had 39 tackles against  top ranked Hot Springs Lakeside in one game (still a state record). He signed with the Hogs and left after two years. His linebacker drills as a freshman  against Dennis Winston a senior were legendary.

I guess I'll toss out Tim Langford from White County too.  Played QB for ASU after high school.  In fact that whole Searcy group in the late '70s was pretty salty.