Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who are state of Arkansas's best all-time football players by county?

Started by jbcarol, December 22, 2016, 01:18:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: pignparadise on December 23, 2016, 05:12:06 pm
Knew Gil as a youngster. Played with his older brother Squid. Squid ran a 48.3 quarter on a red dog track in high school.He ran at Harding also.

I was at that meet, running in the junior high division that day.  Ricky and Raymond Bledsoe, our best, hooked it up in the 440 and Ricky beat him with a lean at the tape.  Ricky ran 48.3 and Raymond ran 48.4.  It was incredible to watch; the two of them were about 15 yards ahead of the 3rd place finisher. Both made it to the meet of champs that year, along with three others from Lonoke County (Brad Shoup, Bobby Inman, Billy Thomas).  It was sort of a golden age of track in those parts.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

pignparadise

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 23, 2016, 07:20:26 pm
I was at that meet, running in the junior high division that day.  Ricky and Raymond Bledsoe, our best, hooked it up in the 440 and Ricky beat him with a lean at the tape.  Ricky ran 48.3 and Raymond ran 48.4.  It was incredible to watch; the two of them were about 15 yards ahead of the 3rd place finisher. Both made it to the meet of champs that year, along with three others from Lonoke County (Brad Shoup, Bobby Inman, Billy Thomas).  It was sort of a golden age of track in those parts.
Yes I ran the high hurdles that day at Harding's track. It was the 6AA region track meet. Bledsoe and Stegall had a race for the ages.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

pork in the whiskers

Calhoun County... Wayne "Thumper" Harris.  You youngsters that only live in the here and now... do some history research on the names you don't recognize.

PossumFan

Quote from: Pudgepork on December 23, 2016, 06:04:12 pm
For all the youngsters, see if you tube has videos of Don Hutson.  It'll be better entertainment than watching recruniting videos.  He showed everyone else how to play receiver.  Think Bambi 25 yrs before Bambi. 

What county is Dicky Morton from?  Anyone who played that hard has to be included

Methinks Dickey was from Dallas, Texas.

jmark

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Ben

Is this by birthplace or high school attended?
If so, Pulaski County: Birthplace - McFadden. High School - Dan Hampton

Faulkner: Peyton Hillis
Jefferson: Hutson/Roaf (both NFL HOF). Honorable Mention, Shabazz
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Horthawg

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on December 22, 2016, 03:09:07 pm
Jackson County- Billy Warren? He's the best in my feeble memory.

Malcolm Barrantine is from Newport ( I think).
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

hogs7199

Quote from: Hawgphish on December 22, 2016, 05:02:24 pm
crittenden county- earl easley, charles stackhouse, dearrious howard, james white...

None of those are near Ike Harris, Mike McCoy, Lewis Carpenter, or Reginald Jones.  Stackhouse and Howard never lived up to expectations after high school.  James White would have been the best of them all if he had his stuff together.

mhardin65

Quote from: hogs7199 on December 24, 2016, 09:19:45 am
None of those are near Ike Harris, Mike McCoy, Lewis Carpenter, or Reginald Jones.  Stackhouse and Howard never lived up to expectations after high school.  James White would have been the best of them all if he had his stuff together.

None of those are near Ray Brown of Marion who played at ASU and in the NFL for I believe 20 yrs with the cardinals, redskins, 49ers and Lions and is currently O line coach for the Panthers.  If I am not mistaken he was ALL Pro  and has a Super Bowl Ring.  was one of the oldest players to start a playoff game at 43 :P

elksnort

Hawgphish

Quote from: hogs7199 on December 24, 2016, 09:19:45 am
You are probably right. 

Hawgphish

HawgnCorona

Billy Ray Smith, Jr Fayetteville, Wash. Co. NFL Chargers...

Bobby Duckworth, Crossett, Ashley Co. NFL Chargers...

Oren Oneal, Stuttgart, Arkansas, Co. NFL Raiders

Kerry Owens, Stuttgart, Arkansas, Co. NFL Bengals

Jeb Huckabe, Searcy, White Co. NFL, Seahawks
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

GoHogs1091

Jefferson County   Monte Coleman   Pine Bluff

Coleman played in 4 Super Bowls with the Washington Redskins, and he won 3 Super Bowl rings.

Coleman is the Scottie Pippen regarding football in Arkansas.  Both Coleman and Pippen are probably the best to come out of the State of Arkansas in their respective sport.  The irony is that neither played at the University of Arkansas, they both played at UCA.  Another ironic aspect is that Coleman and Pippen were both walk-ons.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: kappa72202 on December 22, 2016, 01:37:37 pm
Monroe County...Jerry Eckwood
add
Credic Houston, Tank Daniels, Scott Davenport, Kerry Owens and Rodney Scaife. All plaed College football and went and played some in the NFL.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: WJBilly on December 22, 2016, 04:39:29 pm
Pope:
Donnie Bobo or Zach Hocker, Wilson Matthews also comes to mind but he was better known as a coach.
Firman Bynum---arkansas sports hall of fame

justmakeit2thebcs

December 24, 2016, 10:11:07 pm #168 Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:56:02 pm by justmakeit2thebcs
Quote from: HawgnCorona on December 24, 2016, 05:12:32 pm

Jesse Clark from Crossett, Ashley Co.  NFL Packers

justmakeit2thebcs

Cliff Harris  - Prairie County ...All time great Dallas Cowboy
Dennis Winston - Lee County
Peyton Hillis - Faulker County
Roy Green - Columbia County......All-time Cardinal Great
Ray Brown - Crittenden County.....262 games in the NFL
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - Lonoke County

bartonbear

Phillips County - Melvin Bradley, Jerry "Bruiser" Pryor, or Ken Hatfield

secthumper

"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

jbcarol

Quote from: mhardin65 on December 24, 2016, 12:51:27 pm
None of those are near Ray Brown of Marion who played at ASU and in the NFL for I believe 20 yrs with the cardinals, redskins, 49ers and Lions and is currently O line coach for the Panthers.  If I am not mistaken he was ALL Pro  and has a Super Bowl Ring.  was one of the oldest players to start a playoff game at 43 :P

Ray Brown - Crittenden Co.

There is probably no one from Arkansas with the exception of Trey Junkin who played more NFL games
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

pignparadise

Quote from: jbcarol on December 25, 2016, 08:17:34 am
Ray Brown - Crittenden Co.

There is probably no one from Arkansas with the exception of Trey Junkin who played more NFL games
Trey is #16 and Ray is #30 in most NFL games played.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Bardicer

SRV

We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

mr_v8horsepower

SEdrhawg

MountieDawg

Cross County. -  De'angelo Williams
Washington - Joe Dean Davenport or Damien Williams
Mississippi County - Cortez Kennedy
Jefferson County - Willie Roaf
Crittenden County -  Ray Brown
Faulkner - Peyton Hillis

SEC!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HawgnCorona on December 24, 2016, 05:12:32 pm

Billy Ray, Jr was born in Fayetteville, but grew up in Plano.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

supersaint

Quote from: bartonbear on December 24, 2016, 11:53:16 pm
Phillips County - Melvin Bradley, Jerry "Bruiser" Pryor, or Ken Hatfield
Definitely could have been Jerry if he had stuck it out.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 25, 2016, 02:50:07 pm
Billy Ray, Jr was born in Fayetteville, but grew up in Plano.

If Billy Ray was born in Fayetteville, definitely he's up there with Dan Hampton.   Was a student on the hill when both played and both were monsters..... really monsters, in the NFL sense....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 25, 2016, 05:28:55 pm
If Billy Ray was born in Fayetteville, definitely he's up there with Dan Hampton.   Was a student on the hill when both played and both were monsters..... really monsters, in the NFL sense....

They were beasts.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Rocket23

Quote from: Bob Slydell on December 23, 2016, 08:55:58 am
Mississippi County:

Basketball: Joe Harvell
Football: Cortez Kennedy or Maurice Carthon

Linebacker Ozzie Riley from Blytheville.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Bob Slydell on December 23, 2016, 08:55:58 am
Mississippi County:

Basketball: Joe Harvell
Football: Cortez Kennedy or Maurice Carthon

Harvell was good, but the best to come out of Mississippi County and Gosnell was Thomas "Ricky" Donnerson.

Donnerson was an All-American in college at the College of the Ozarks/University of the Ozarks (the name changed when he was there) in Clarksville.  I personally saw Donnerson play in a game when he was in college there in Clarksville, and he was very good.  He was a complete player, with no weakness.

Donnerson holds the single game Rebounds record at Ozarks, with a 27 rebound game in 1988.  He also holds the season record for most points scored, with 684 points scored in 1988.  Additionally, he holds the season record for most field goals, with 272 field goals in 1988.

Donnerson was probably better in college than Scottie Pippen, but Pippen would go on to have a top 50 NBA player in history career in the NBA.

Here is 2 threads from a few years ago in which someone ranked players from Gosnell.

http://nearsports.fr.yuku.com/topic/11004/Top-10-players-of-all-time-Gosnell#.WGFUDMDFLMI

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/gosnell-ar/TU2SNV27HC8AOJK3C   

hamsam

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 22, 2016, 03:37:40 pm
Lincoln county
Cedric Thornton

You're right... I stand corrected!

I was reading that as if the player had to be a Razorbacks player.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

greghog

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on December 22, 2016, 03:48:36 pm
:razorback:

Bill Bergey Greene County  Verle Mitchell Greene Co Tech

:razorback:

Bergey was not from Greene county.  Mitchell is probably the best Greene County guy. 

The OTR

absolutely nobody from Logan County - football or basketball

The OTR

Tsarcasm

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on December 27, 2016, 11:39:20 am
absolutely nobody from Logan County - football or basketball
Grant Freeman Is the only one who comes to mind
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." – Steven Wright

GolfnHog

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 22, 2016, 03:38:04 pm
Tom Ed Gooden was pretty good.  Committed to the Hogs but elected to go to Harding.

Had the chance to get to know Coach Gooden when he was the AD and HC at Terrell, Tx HS. A fine man, coach and mentor to youngsters. Along the way he  produced some dang fine athletes including a player named Kenoy Kennedy!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

The OTR

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on December 26, 2016, 05:42:54 pm
Harvell was good, but the best to come out of Mississippi County and Gosnell was Thomas "Ricky" Donnerson.

Donnerson was an All-American in college at the College of the Ozarks/University of the Ozarks (the name changed when he was there) in Clarksville.  I personally saw Donnerson play in a game when he was in college there in Clarksville, and he was very good.  He was a complete player, with no weakness.

Donnerson holds the single game Rebounds record at Ozarks, with a 27 rebound game in 1988.  He also holds the season record for most points scored, with 684 points scored in 1988.  Additionally, he holds the season record for most field goals, with 272 field goals in 1988.

Donnerson was probably better in college than Scottie Pippen, but Pippen would go on to have a top 50 NBA player in history career in the NBA.

Here is 2 threads from a few years ago in which someone ranked players from Gosnell.

http://nearsports.fr.yuku.com/topic/11004/Top-10-players-of-all-time-Gosnell#.WGFUDMDFLMI

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/gosnell-ar/TU2SNV27HC8AOJK3C

Ricky Donnerson better than Joe Harvell and Scottie Pippen... nope, don't think so

The OTR

Quote from: hawgzzfan1152 on December 27, 2016, 11:49:45 am
Grant Freeman Is the only one who comes to mind

I stand corrected - thanks sir

just no one in basketball - that's what I should have said really

ricepig

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on December 27, 2016, 11:53:20 am

Ricky Donnerson better than Joe Harvell and Scottie Pippen... nope, don't think so

What????? Dude could probably beat Bernard Langer in golf too, that's how good Ricky was.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: GolfnHog on December 27, 2016, 11:50:28 am
Had the chance to get to know Coach Gooden when he was the AD and HC at Terrell, Tx HS. A fine man, coach and mentor to youngsters. Along the way he  produced some dang fine athletes including a player named Kenoy Kennedy!

His mom taught me English and writing comprehension in jr. high.  One of the best teachers I had at any level, college included.

allhogislost

Ronnie Trusty maybe from Logan started a lot of games for the hogs on the o-line.