Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who are state of Arkansas's best all-time football players by county?

Started by jbcarol, December 22, 2016, 01:18:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pignparadise

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 22, 2016, 08:57:16 pm
I guess I'll toss out Tim Langford from White County too.  Played QB for ASU after high school.  In fact that whole Searcy group in the late '70s was pretty salty.
yep Tim is being inducted into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame this year. We had some good athletes back then.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: pignparadise on December 22, 2016, 09:03:03 pm
yep Tim is being inducted into the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame this year. We had some good athletes back then.

The Lonoke v Searcy game at Searcy to end the 1978 season was epic.  Lots of athletes on that field, and it all got left on the field that night.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

trphog

ricepig

Quote from: tusked on December 22, 2016, 08:57:02 pm
Craighead, John Reese Sr.  it's who Bill Montgomery under threw against TX on the final drive in 69.

John Rees Sr

LightHog

hogginbama

Saw that someone listed Billy Warren from Jackson County - what about Theo Young?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

TNhogfan

Quote from: LightHog on December 22, 2016, 09:55:19 pm
Lightning Loftin - Sevier County
Buddy Benson - Sevier County led Hogs to Cotton Bowl; longtime OBU coach.

hawgwash

Hempstead - might be McTelvin Agim but he seems to claim Texarkana as his home town.   >:(   So I'll go with Lynn Norton.  Graduated high school in 1972 and became a Razorback.  Won starting spot on OL during spring drills of his freshman year.  Very seriously injured in a car accident just before school started his sophomore year so he never actually got to play for the Hogs.  Great athlete in EVERY sport.

pork in the whiskers

Little River... Earnest Rhone or Ernie as he was called by his fellow Dolphins.

longpig

Quote from: bigfan on December 22, 2016, 08:31:01 pm
Saline - Muscles Campbell....

Hands down.  5 seasons in pro ball. 15th overall pick in 1950.  1977 Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. A few good players out of Saline County but Leon "Muscles" Campbell is the best.   Was a freak before being a freak was cool. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

plumbhog

bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Inhogswetrust

Pulaski...........there is only ONE in the pro football HOF. Dan Hampton.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

cc

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hogginintheville

Quote from: bcdeputy on December 22, 2016, 01:52:35 pm
Interesting choice... I was thinking Brooks Ellis or maybe one of those Allen kids that played QB?  And I'm betting that I'm forgetting someone too.

Benton County has me intrigued.  Only name I'm coming up with off the top of my head is Mitch Smothers

How about Joe Dean Davenport

ICEman

Not football related but Olympic Gold Medalist Jim Hines - Desha County
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

TushCrush

TNhogfan

bob slydell

Mississippi County:

Basketball: Joe Harvell
Football: Cortez Kennedy or Maurice Carthon
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: TNhogfan on December 23, 2016, 08:52:48 am
Dixon is good, but the best player from Strong might be Mike Bender.
Who is he? Maybe im showing my youth or just on the outside looking in since im actually from el dorado. Im surprised I cant think of anyone from here. Bijhon Jackson? High school wise anyway
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AirWarren

Bradley county by way of Warren: Jarius Wright
Honorables:
Bret smith
Greg Childs
Chris Gregg
Roshaun Fellows

TNhogfan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 23, 2016, 09:02:35 am
Who is he? Maybe im showing my youth or just on the outside looking in since im actually from el dorado. Im surprised I cant think of anyone from here. Bijhon Jackson? High school wise anyway
OL from Strong.  Played on the National Champion team and was All-SWC.  The best from Union County though would be Clyde Scott, first number retired by UofA.

3dawghawg

Jeff Clinton

Miller County- Willie Davis, Grambling St., Green bay Packers, HOF.

siap

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: TNhogfan on December 23, 2016, 09:19:50 am
OL from Strong.  Played on the National Champion team and was All-SWC.  The best from Union County though would be Clyde Scott, first number retired by UofA.
Ive heard the name and knew he was a hog but didn't know much more about him past that. Definitely didn't know he was from union county

Jackrabbit Hog

Jefferson County:   Don Hutson (Packers HOF'er and generally considered the greatest receiver ever, pre-1960s).
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

elviscat

Cross County: Bud Brooks, Buddy Brown, Dave Hanner, Marius Dennis

Ben Steiger

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 22, 2016, 01:45:12 pm
Alex Tejada - Washington

Damien Williams, or Mitch Mustain from Washington County. Much better players.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Shorttimer

Quote from: pignparadise on December 22, 2016, 08:49:08 pm
White: Gil Stegall comes to mind (USFL record for most catches in a game). However the greatest was Larry Gardner.
I played with Larry one of the greatest high school football players to come out of Arkansas. He averaged 25.3 tackles a game for a 10 game season (state record still today 43 years later). He had 39 tackles against  top ranked Hot Springs Lakeside in one game (still a state record). He signed with the Hogs and left after two years. His linebacker drills as a freshman  against Dennis Winston a senior were legendary.
Good choice.  I might go with Jeb Huckaba as well.

Dirttrackhog

stronguard

Grant Co.  -  Joe Reese, Arkansas Tech, Green Bay Packers, Hot Springs HS Coach, AR HS Hall of Fame
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

26.2Hog

Jefferson County - Bruce Maxwell

Never played football until his senior year in high school, and then only played half the season.

MJ2

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Hogginintheville on December 23, 2016, 08:05:23 am
How about Joe Dean Davenport
Davenport is from Springdale. 

I would say Kim Dameron or Ryan Hale both from Rogers. 

razorbackfaninar

supersaint

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 23, 2016, 02:21:03 pm
Davenport is from Springdale. 

I would say Kim Dameron or Ryan Hale both from Rogers.

Ryan Hale. Played in NFL.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

elksnort

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on December 22, 2016, 03:48:36 pm
:razorback:

Bill Bergey Greene County  Verle Mitchell Greene Co Tech

:razorback:
Bill Bergey was from New York I believe.

Anyway, from Craighead, I would have to say Clovis Sweeny. Frankly, he is a legend around these parts.

Must mention Scott Bull. My mother taught him at Annie Camp and his brother was my neighbor.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: pignparadise on December 22, 2016, 08:49:08 pm
White: Gil Stegall comes to mind (USFL record for most catches in a game). However the greatest was Larry Gardner.
I played with Larry one of the greatest high school football players to come out of Arkansas. He averaged 25.3 tackles a game for a 10 game season (state record still today 43 years later). He had 39 tackles against  top ranked Hot Springs Lakeside in one game (still a state record). He signed with the Hogs and left after two years. His linebacker drills as a freshman  against Dennis Winston a senior were legendary.
Gil Stegall was a friend of mine. He ran a 48.1 quarter mile in high school and we ran track together at Harding. When the NFL scouts saw him at the tryouts, they couldn't believe that the team didn't throw to him every play! They said he was the best athlete on the field! After the, I believe, 16 catch game in the USFL Denver Gold he played as a scrub for the StL Cardinals in '87. He told me that he had signed with the Detroit Lions after the NFL holdout was over but never made it to the field due to a boating accident that took his life.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

pignparadise

Quote from: Pigsfeat on December 23, 2016, 04:58:51 pm
Gil Stegall was a friend of mine. He ran a 48.1 quarter mile in high school and we ran track together at Harding. When the NFL scouts saw him at the tryouts, they couldn't believe that the team didn't throw to him every play! They said he was the best athlete on the field! After the, I believe, 16 catch game in the USFL Denver Gold he played as a scrub for the StL Cardinals in '87. He told me that he had signed with the Detroit Lions after the NFL holdout was over but never made it to the field due to a boating accident that took his life.
Knew Gil as a youngster. Played with his older brother Squid. Squid ran a 48.3 quarter on a red dog track in high school.He ran at Harding also.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Pigsfeat

Quote from: pignparadise on December 23, 2016, 05:12:06 pm
New Gil as a youngster. Played with his older brother Squid. Squid ran a 48.3 quarter on a red dog track in high school.He ran at Harding also.
I don't remember Squid. What year did he run at Harding?
E. Neal

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 22, 2016, 08:57:16 pm
I guess I'll toss out Tim Langford from White County too.  Played QB for ASU after high school.  In fact that whole Searcy group in the late '70s was pretty salty.

I'll toss out Jeb Huckeba as a more recent offering from White as well.

pignparadise

Pigsfeat

E. Neal

Pudgepork

For all the youngsters, see if you tube has videos of Don Hutson.  It'll be better entertainment than watching recruniting videos.  He showed everyone else how to play receiver.  Think Bambi 25 yrs before Bambi. 

What county is Dicky Morton from?  Anyone who played that hard has to be included

DocHawg

Billy Ray Smith Sr, Woodruff County (Augusta)

Billy Ray Smith JR, Was born in Fayetteville, but grew up in Plano

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins