Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New name in 2017 hoops recruiting ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, February 19, 2017, 11:23:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

February 19, 2017, 11:23:17 pm Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:49:45 pm by HOGdayafternoon
With one scholarship to give to close out the 2017 class (as of now anyway), we know the Hogs have been looking at bigs, but I've said more than once that another need is PG ... well, the Hogs are recruiting a PG ...

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/833542311770480640

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/833543096256327680

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/833543998182682624

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/833544941213212674

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/833553820236050434

Van Boarisson

February 19, 2017, 11:55:51 pm #1 Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:39:29 am by Van Boarisson
Nm

JayHog

Looks like a Beard clone to me. Beard was a straight up baller like that in high school, and probably would be a straight up baller for UALR or a Middle Tenn State or a creighton. But he's just too short and gets his layups blocked... and he can forget about dunking. I love Beard's quick hands...he has the quickest hands on the team and gets his hands on a lot of balls (either deflections or steals).

But I've said repeatedly that for our style of play, we need athletic players that play above the rim (I call it the dunk test). And oddly enough, we don't have hardly any players on our supposedly athletic team that really dunk it much. Even Barford rarely dunks. We just don't have that many high flyers like qualls was. Maybe Bailey and CJ Jones.
But I digress... I'm sure this guy is a baller. But he looks awful short. It doesn't look like he plays above the rim and I don't know why Anderson keeps recruiting these guys that aren't athletic enough to play the way our system is set up. That's why our press stinks this year and we are way better in the zone...because we are asking a bunch of guys that aren't supreme athletes to press and "out-athlete" the opposition. And we just get burned almost every play.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: JayHog on February 20, 2017, 01:01:22 am
Looks like a Beard clone to me. Beard was a straight up baller like that in high school, and probably would be a straight up baller for UALR or a Middle Tenn State or a creighton. But he's just too short and gets his layups blocked... and he can forget about dunking. I love Beard's quick hands...he has the quickest hands on the team and gets his hands on a lot of balls.

Definitely see similarities to Anton, but this kid has better stop-and-go action off the bounce, and a better crossover.

JayHog

He probably has a nasty crossover. I can believe that 100%. But you shake your man, blow by him, and what do ya got?  You're still in there among the trees and the little layups from 5'11" guys just get swatted at this level. I cringe when Beard drives into the lane... this would be more of the same in my humble opinion.  But if we sign him, I'll root him on and cheer for him just like I do the rest of the team.

hogwood

Interesting. I wonder what this would mean for guys like Embery in the 2018 class.

Looks like a good prospect for this late in the game though.

The_Iceman

I like the look of him as a PG, looks quick and his pull up game is solid.

However, I'm struggling to see where he fits in. We really need a big to develop to back up Gafford in 2018.

Barford / Beard / Glasper
Macon / Garland
Jones / Hall
Thomas / Bailey / Cook / Hazen
Gafford / Thompson

In some form or fashion, that is the rotation and roster breakdown. However, he is really needed more for the 2018 class, where the roster will be:

Garland / Sills / Glasper
CJ Jones / Joe
Hall /
Perry / Bailey / Hazen
Gafford / Henderson

Henderson is really more of a 4, not a 5. Maybe Bailey could develop and slide down to the 3, Henderson behind Perry, and recruit a backup big. If you add a PG like this kid, you can slide Sills to the 2, and CJ Jones as a 3-guard.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: JayHog on February 20, 2017, 01:01:22 am
Looks like a Beard clone to me. Beard was a straight up baller like that in high school, and probably would be a straight up baller for UALR or a Middle Tenn State or a creighton. But he's just too short and gets his layups blocked... and he can forget about dunking. I love Beard's quick hands...he has the quickest hands on the team and gets his hands on a lot of balls (either deflections or steals).

But I've said repeatedly that for our style of play, we need athletic players that play above the rim (I call it the dunk test). And oddly enough, we don't have hardly any players on our supposedly athletic team that really dunk it much. Even Barford rarely dunks. We just don't have that many high flyers like qualls was. Maybe Bailey and CJ Jones.
But I digress... I'm sure this guy is a baller. But he looks awful short. It doesn't look like he plays above the rim and I don't know why Anderson keeps recruiting these guys that aren't athletic enough to play the way our system is set up. That's why our press stinks this year and we are way better in the zone...because we are asking a bunch of guys that aren't supreme athletes to press and "out-athlete" the opposition. And we just get burned almost every play.

This kid looks nothing like Beard. His handles are tighter and he is very quick. He is also crafty at finishing around the rim. Also you dont have to be able to dunk to be considered athletic. Barford and Macon are very athletic. They may not be high flyers but they know how to finish in traffic around bigger players.

hogwood

According to a few YouTube videos of him it appears that earlier in high school he was labeled as "Top 5 Player In Florida" and "Top 10 Player in 2017". I wonder if he's had any injuries that have made him not live up to those labels in the rankings?

raz1965

That kid is a baller, couldn't pass him up if he wanted to come.

The_Iceman

Quote from: raz1965 on February 20, 2017, 09:22:15 am
That kid is a baller, couldn't pass him up if he wanted to come.

Agreed. Especially with Gafford, Perry, and Henderson down low in 2018, we need a PG to distribute.

If we added him now, then we would just need a big in 2018. And you take Rodgerick Brown if he wants to come as well. There is always the possibility of a certain backup forward transferring out to open a spot.

Swinesong1

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 20, 2017, 08:48:05 am
This kid looks nothing like Beard. His handles are tighter and he is very quick. He is also crafty at finishing around the rim. Also you dont have to be able to dunk to be considered athletic. Barford and Macon are very athletic. They may not be high flyers but they know how to finish in traffic around bigger players.
That was a head scratcher to me too.  No similarities in their games whatsoever.

Rawker

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 20, 2017, 10:34:43 am
That was a head scratcher to me too.  No similarities in their games whatsoever.
Agreed.  I'll just touch on one aspect that is completely different: KJ's ability to dish.  Beard is not a disher....whatsoever.  In fact, it's been a major point of frustration for me personally, watching him come down on fast breaks, allow the defense to get in front of him, and then, with Dusty or someone lining up perfectly at the 3 pt line, going right into much more physical players without even making a single glance to his passing options.  KJ looks to be way more interested in making the sweet pass to the open man than pretty much anyone on our team outside of perhaps Macon.  Because of that, I'd bet that given his height disadvantage, he would adjust his game to look more for dropping dimes than going into the trees, making him a perfect fit for who we have coming in.  However, he's also much better with the ball than Beard and would have more of a physical ability to take it to the whole when it's there.  I'd compare him more to Barford in his crossover and slashing ability, if Barford was 100 times the passer.  LUV Barford, but man....dude is horrible with even the most basic pass.  I'd take KJ all day.

King Kong

Seems like a nice hard working kid. I will be rooting for him wherever he goes after reading up on him
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y48AgqVyDh8"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hawg Red

I do not mind players his size so long as the speed, quickness, lateral ability, ballhandling, and passing acumen are there. Gotta be a true PG at 5'11 and this kid appears to be a true PG.

It will be interesting to see where his recruitment goes.

Hawg Red

Quote from: King Kong on February 20, 2017, 11:12:37 am
Seems like a nice hard working kid. I will be rooting for him wherever he goes after reading up on him
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y48AgqVyDh8"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man, super impressive kid.

mbgrulz

T
Quote from: Hawg Red on February 20, 2017, 11:22:55 am
I do not mind players his size so long as the speed, quickness, lateral ability, ballhandling, and passing acumen are there. Gotta be a true PG at 5'11 and this kid appears to be a true PG.

It will be interesting to see where his recruitment goes.
Spot on...

I'd take a 5'11" over a 6'2" 7 days a week if the 5'11" was a better basketball player.

hogwood

Just visited a Kansas board where there was a thread about him. They say he was an unofficial visitor for the Texas Tech game (I'm not sure how long ago).

They were also pretty down about him, outright saying he did not deserve a scholarship and should walk-on. What a bunch of jerks they all were, wow. It made hogville look like a paradise where everyone is just the nicest neighbor. Haha. They seemed pretty pissed that Trae Young stayed home and that now they were looking at KJ. Jackasses.

If he was judging where to go based on what was said about him on the boards, I think he'd choose here!

navyhog24

Looks like a mix of Kareem Reid and Courtney Fortson to me.

JayHog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 20, 2017, 08:48:05 am

Actually, Barford and Macon aren't "very athletic". I like a lot of things about both of their games, but they aren't athletic.  If you can't play above the rim, then you aren't really athletic enough to be effective in our pressing system.  But we have a whole team of players that don't play above the rim... that's why our press sucks. #truth

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayHog on February 20, 2017, 01:03:02 pm
Actually, Barford and Macon aren't "very athletic". I like a lot of things about both of their games, but they aren't athletic.  If you can't play above the rim, then you aren't really athletic enough to be effective in our pressing system.  But we have a whole team of players that don't play above the rim... that's why our press sucks. #truth

Barford and Macon are 6'3. How much above-the-rim action are you looking for? I seem to remember Barford dunking in some guy's face in a recent game. Neither of these guys has the type of athleticism that Westbrook or Malik Monk have, but I wouldn't classify that necessarily as lacking athletes. Barford is a power guard but he is athletic. Can't play his type of game without being an above average athlete.

hogcam

Barford is not athletic? Have you watched this year? Did you see him dunk on the dude at OK State? Have you seen him run guys down from behind and get blocks? I accept everyones opinions when they are valid.  Yours is just ignorant in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxo1GXLFv-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9pXZwlhAVo

King Kong

Barford and Macon are extremely athletic. Not many 6-2 6-3 guys throwing it down like they do. Also both are very fast for Combu guards. In addition to great body control which is part of being a great athlete

The_Iceman

I think people are confusion athletic with explosiveness. To finish like Barford does with contact requires athleticism. For Macon to slash the lane and get the lift on his shot he does, requires athleticism. Neither are real explosive off the bounce or dunking in traffic, but they are certainly athletic.

Rawker

Quote from: hogcam on February 20, 2017, 01:27:27 pm
Barford is not athletic? Have you watched this year? Did you see him dunk on the dude at OK State? Have you seen him run guys down from behind and get blocks? I accept everyones opinions when they are valid.  Yours is just ignorant in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxo1GXLFv-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9pXZwlhAVo
Agreeeeed.  Barford had the most emphatic dunk of the year against....I believe it was against Alabama?  And that bullcrap call of a foul on him in the Ole Miss game, when he ran that dude down and totally hovered above and behind the dude's body while blocking the crap out of him, was sheer athletic awesomeness!  That call was complete trash.  Anyway, Barford rules in most aspects, except for passing....he is the king of the lazy pass, but he has improved at that over the course of the season.  Anyway....like this KJ.  We need a dime-dropper like him that can manufacture points when needed.  I'd take him. 

JayHog

I've seen Barford dunk a few times, and it looks like the ball is just barely getting over the rim. But typically when Barford drives to the basketball, it's just a layup (or an "attempted layup" as I've seen him miss his layups about half the time if we are being honest).  But the layups are typical of most of the team.
Even Kingsley... when he gets it and should be going up and dunking, 95% of the time he just shoots a layup. It's frustrating

swinesation

Quote from: JayHog on February 20, 2017, 05:59:56 pm
I've seen Barford dunk a few times, and it looks like the ball is just barely getting over the rim. But typically when Barford drives to the basketball, it's just a layup (or an "attempted layup" as I've seen him miss his layups about half the time if we are being honest).  But the layups are typical of most of the team.
Even Kingsley... when he gets it and should be going up and dunking, 95% of the time he just shoots a layup. It's frustrating

You need to get a few hundred posts under your belt at least before you start posting this kinda crap. Rookie.

swinesation

No offense to Beard, who is a tough guy, but this guy's already better with his right hand than Beard is. I don't think Beard can do a reverse layup with his right hand.

ballinhog

I like this kid but he is better than Glasper as a PG?

I think we need someone else inside. At least some length anyway.

How about Gabriel Osabuohien, the kid from one of the Christian academy's in Little Rock. He's long and looks athletic

sucamken

me too. They aren't very similar at all, except being lefthanded.  This guy is way more athletic and can score inside.  He is not intimated by the bigs.  Beard comes in and gets swatted.  Got to loft that sucker.  You can't be scared.  I'm a lefty also and some of us lefties are crafty.  That what this guy is.  Quick, crafty with a decent shot.  A combo between reid and fortson. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: JayHog on February 20, 2017, 01:13:04 am
He probably has a nasty crossover. I can believe that 100%. But you shake your man, blow by him, and what do ya got?  You're still in there among the trees and the little layups from 5'11" guys just get swatted at this level. I cringe when Beard drives into the lane... this would be more of the same in my humble opinion.  But if we sign him, I'll root him on and cheer for him just like I do the rest of the team.

Driving the lane causes the defense to help off their man leaving a hole somewhere in the defense. Anton is a score first type of player so his teammates don't capitalize as much on his drives.

Perfect example of a guy that size that is highly effective is Evans at OSU. He is listed at 6'0" so that means he is really 5'10" or so.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Rawker on February 20, 2017, 03:19:30 pm
Agreeeeed.  Barford had the most emphatic dunk of the year against....I believe it was against Alabama? 

That one he got at the start of the Oklahoma State game was impressive.

biglewhog77

chiti66

We'd be "extremely" fortunate to land this kid! 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 20, 2017, 12:22:34 pm
Looks like a mix of Kareem Reid and Courtney Fortson to me.
Yep, with a better shot. Love the way he can use both hands to get to anywhere he wants to on the court and uses both hands to finish around basket. Makes it a little harder on a shot blocker.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Letsroll1200

Does he have a true point guard personality. Beard plays the point for Arkansas but he plays like he would rather be a two guard. Arkansas need a true point guard on the roster.

azhog10

Quote from: swinesation on February 20, 2017, 06:39:51 pm
No offense to Beard, who is a tough guy, but this guy's already better with his right hand than Beard is. I don't think Beard can do a reverse layup with his right hand.
To be fair, I don't think he did a single layup with his left hand. He actually finished every layup with his right, even when he should have gone with his left in that highlight video of his 50pts. He shoots with his left but no layups with his left.....some kids are like that. I have a kid that shoots with his right hand, but can only put it on the floor and finish with his left. He will not go right even though he is right dominant.....kinda strange but there's kids out there like that.

FineAsSwine

Beard is left handed and this kid is right handed so I could see why he may be better with his right hand than Beard.

Swinesong1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 21, 2017, 12:29:08 pm
Beard is left handed and this kid is right handed so I could see why he may be better with his right hand than Beard.
He looks to be left-handed.

ballinhog

I made the mistake of thinking in my head that Desi Sills would be really similar to Beard. I was just going off size and the fact that they're both left handed but when I seen that dunk by Sills I knew he was on a whole different planet athletically lol

The_Bionic_Pig

Umm don't let that 2-3 minute video fool you... KJ is from here in Florida and I've witnessed him do Windmill dunks in a game...Trust me he can dunk effortlessly....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

1hawgballer2

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 20, 2017, 09:54:29 am
Agreed. Especially with Gafford, Perry, and Henderson down low in 2018, we need a PG to distribute.

If we added him now, then we would just need a big in 2018. And you take Rodgerick Brown if he wants to come as well. There is always the possibility of a certain backup forward transferring out to open a spot.

Response: I'm not sure what some of these bloggers are looking at, regardless I agree with you this young man is a straight up baller PG that can play anywhere in this country. If he has the graders take him and let the rest work itself out. And for the record if Beard played like the film captured on this kid in high school he has digress since making it to college 

Youngsta71701

February 22, 2017, 11:28:34 am #43 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:47:16 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 21, 2017, 12:29:08 pm
His dominant hand is his left hand. He shoots jumpers with his left hand but he does a lot of things with both. He seems to be somewhat ambidextrous. Not sure if he can shoot jumpers with his right hand or not but he seems to do a lot of things equally well with both hands.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jackflash

with they way Mike is playing now wouldn't surprise to see him take another three point shooter to replace Hannah

Biggus Piggus

Richard says he does not expect Arkansas to offer this one.
[CENSORED]!

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 22, 2017, 02:35:30 pm
Richard says he does not expect Arkansas to offer this one.

With only 1 scholarship to give, that can be said about most of the kids the Hogs are still looking at to finish out 2017. TJ traveled to West Palm Beach, FL, to see him play last night and visited with his Dad, so there's legit interest.

Razorod

It's possible that TJ came back and suggested they not offer.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

songofthesword

No offense to Beard, who is a tough guy, but this guy's already better with his right hand than Beard is.
.....beard is left handed

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 24, 2017, 12:43:27 am
So are we just not using the scholarship this year?

Maybe we end up giving it to Glasper? Maybe we save it for 2018, which I would be ok with if they feel Trey will be able to handle 25-28 minutes a game next year with Gafford cleaning up the rest.