Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss' Texas recruiting

Started by JackJohnson, July 28, 2015, 10:29:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

Can't wrap my mind around how they have all of a sudden become such a major player in that state.

Ole miss' newest commit- 4* CB from Allen, TX (JWill's school) Jaylon Jones.  He had offers from the likes of AU, Baylor, Michigan, ND, Ohio St, OU, TCU, A&M, and USC

http://www.scout.com/player/189249-jaylon-jones/recruiting?year=2015&s=143

He is teammates with Greg Little the 5* OT who just decommitted from A&M,  and it was thought that OM was the one that got him to decommit so this would only add fuel to the fire.

Of course we know they got 4* RB Pennemon from Manvel (Taiwon Johnson's school), but they also lead for 4* S Deontay Anderson from Manvel as well.

http://www.scout.com/player/177524-deontay-anderson/recruiting?year=2015&s=10

I just don't understand how with our long and storied tradition playing and recruiting in the state of Tex AND with 4 of our coaches now recruiting the state full or part time in Singleton in DFW, Hargreaves and Jennings in Houston and Pittman in East Texas we can't seem to get this type of results but Ole Miss can go in and beat the major texas schools (Tex, Bay, TCU, A&M) and the major outside players (OU, LSU, Bama, etc) for kids down there even though they literally have very little tradition in either playing in the state or recruiting it

RazorPiggie

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ā 

JackJohnson

let me also add...

For whatever reason no matter what we do rather it be scheduling more games against Tex teams, put more coaches down there, we aren't having the success compared to the amount of resources we are putting into it. 

Michael Smith is a one man band in La and is cleaning up to the point we have become a major player for even the ones that LSU is wanting.  By the end of this class he might have a dozen kids over a 3 year span from there by himself. 

Shannon, Partridge Smith and now Hargreaves will have gotten almost 20 kids from Fl total by the end of this recruiting class since CBB has been here- and Partridge was only here for a year, and smith is only going on his second year and Hargreaves his first- yet the kids keep on coming

Is it time to start rethinking our recruiting there and shifting our resources to area's that we are having more success? 

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Hogfather

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 28, 2015, 10:35:23 am
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It is quite obvious that Ole Miss has a $y$tem going to get highly regarded prospects to line up to play at Ole Miss.  And, I don't believe it explicitly involves the head coach.  It has been this way since Orgeron, through Nutt, and now Freeze. 

island hog

I live down here on the gulf coast/grater Houston area and for the last five years or so, Ole Miss has been gaining traction as a destination university for high school kids.  In my opinion, it's becoming more popular as more kids can't qualify for UT and A&M (top 8% and 10% respectively automatic acceptance).  I know a number of kids who have gone there and love the college atmosphere...it's becoming a popular place to go, regardless of athletics.  FWIW, I am beginning to see a LITTLE more of the same regarding the UA down this way....if we have a good year in football, we'll begin to get more notice from players in the area. 

jjdlc

I don't usually pay much attention when people talk about another school paying commits, but even I think something is fishy at Ole Miss.  You don't go from a traditional mid 30s-40s recruiting school to a top 10 school over night, I don't care who the coach is.  Can a school become a top ten school, sure, but it would take years of relationship building, and continued success.  The speed at which Ole Miss has accomplished this screams shenanigans.

The Hogfather

Quote from: island hog on July 28, 2015, 11:58:05 am
I live down here on the gulf coast/grater Houston area and for the last five years or so, Ole Miss has been gaining traction as a destination university for high school kids.  In my opinion, it's becoming more popular as more kids can't qualify for UT and A&M (top 8% and 10% respectively automatic acceptance).  I know a number of kids who have gone there and love the college atmosphere...it's becoming a popular place to go, regardless of athletics.  FWIW, I am beginning to see a LITTLE more of the same regarding the UA down this way....if we have a good year in football, we'll begin to get more notice from players in the area. 

Ole Miss, in Oxford, MS, doesn't really seem like a great destination football players, especially the highly rated ones.

onebadrubi

This is what getting DEMOLISHED by TCU gets you I guess

hogfan14

Well here are Jones' comments about it

"I've kind of always looked at Ole Miss," he said. "A&M was the only Texas school in the SEC but when it came down to it, Ole Miss is a better defensive program and they send more guys to the league defensively."

"That staff is great at recruiting. I can't say it yet but we will for sure be the No. 1 recruiting class," he said. "We have a couple of guys that haven't committed yet but we have a lot of talent coming, that's all I have to say."

Wildhog

Quote from: hogfan14 on July 28, 2015, 12:21:44 pm
Well here are Jones' comments about it

"I've kind of always looked at Ole Miss," he said. "A&M was the only Texas school in the SEC but when it came down to it, Ole Miss is a better defensive program and they send more guys to the league defensively."

"That staff is great at recruiting. I can't say it yet but we will for sure be the No. 1 recruiting class," he said. "We have a couple of guys that haven't committed yet but we have a lot of talent coming, that's all I have to say."

I agree with him.  I bet they end up with the no. 1 class in the nation.  Again.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: island hog on July 28, 2015, 11:58:05 am

Kids switch what is "hot" for some reason. I have cousins from the Memphis private school atmosphere, and Arkansas became a trendy school a couple of years ago, according to them. It seemed OM and MSU weren't as high then. I really don't see why Houston area kids would want to go to OM, but, they are kids.

Nashville Fan

Not everything that glitters in TX is gold. If it was TX would would be doing awesome so would aTm. You have to be careful down here to get the ones that want to play college ball.
Pittman or Bust!

Ā 

duckman

It is simple, Ole Miss knows the new castrated version of the NCAA is looking the other way.  That coupled with Freeze's lack of scruples creates the perfect storm for Ole Miss.  They are buying players, period.

tbhogfan

I'm at a lo$$ to explain the Ole MiS$$ Texa$ $ituation a$ well.  I'm $ure there'$ a good rea$on.
Go Hogs!

JackJohnson

Quote from: Wildhog on July 28, 2015, 12:22:41 pm
I agree with him.  I bet they end up with the no. 1 class in the nation.  Again.

they absolutely will finish top 5 and I have no doubt make a serious run at #1 if/when they close with guys like White, Little, Anderson, Nigel Knott,  Jeffrey Simmons, etc.  That would give them at least 15 4*'s or better.  And they aren't done yet

duckman

And Freeze will coach them into the ground.....

plus he will eventually get caught, he is Nutt with less scruples.  OM has now reached #2 on my most hated list right behind Auburn.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 28, 2015, 10:35:23 am

Agreed.

KevinOMReb

Four factors.
1. Texas being down.
2. TAM bringing the SEC to Texas.
3. Hugh has pretty much dumped Florida and concentrated on Texas (SFla kids tend to have issues and not stay around long)
4. Hugh and staff are tireless recruiters.

And I agree with the Florida to Texas switch.  Texas kids seem to pan out better.  BTW, that's no attack on Alex Collins.  Great guy.  Met him at the Catfish Hole a month ago and took a pic with him.  Need more like him!
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

KevinOMReb

As for White, I think he's LSU bound.  At least that's what 24/7 has. 
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

LRHawg

Quote from: KevinOMReb on July 28, 2015, 02:21:07 pm
Four factors.
1. Texas being down.
2. TAM bringing the SEC to Texas.
3. Hugh has pretty much dumped Florida and concentrated on Texas (SFla kids tend to have issues and not stay around long)
4. Hugh and staff are tireless recruiters.

And I agree with the Florida to Texas switch.  Texas kids seem to pan out better.  BTW, that's no attack on Alex Collins.  Great guy.  Met him at the Catfish Hole a month ago and took a pic with him.  Need more like him!

Those are all factors that lead to Ole Miss being top 20 successful, not top 5 successful.

All recruiters are "tireless". To compete with other Power 5 schools, you have to be. All recruiters work with the same 24-hour days.

I think everyone's point is that those same factors above are in play for everyone from out of state trying to get a piece of the pie in Texas while the home school is down.

I will say, beating A&M in 2014 in College Station probably helped, but without Treadwell they got destroyed in their bowl game against TCU. The year before, they lost at home to A&M in a close one. Something just doesn't add up.

duckman

Quote from: KevinOMReb on July 28, 2015, 02:21:07 pm
Four factors.
1. Cash
2. Money Orders
3. Cars
4. Housing

And I agree with the Florida to Texas switch.  Texas kids seem to be more receptive to being paid.  BTW, that's no attack on Alex Collins.  Great guy.  Met him at the Catfish Hole a month ago and took a pic with him, no charge.  Need more like him that can't be bought!

Fixed...

Speaking of fixed could someone narrow this thread so I don't have to scroll so far right that I am in Mississippi?

BigSexyHog

I get such a kick out of everyone cause they think we recruit Texas well.  We have never recruited Texas well.  Yes we pull a few highly rated players every now and then but we have always struggled to pull the elite talent out on a consistent basis.  Yes I understand we have a good amount of texas players on our roster but we don't get the elite talent.  As for why Ole Miss is getting some good ones this year.  I couldn't tell you but they have been recruiting their A$$ off the past 2-3 years.  If they want to go to a POS program like Ole piss screw them.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

LRrazorback

Average campus, average facilities, average coach, average record past few years, average stadium = great recruiting?  Something doesn't add up or maybe it does. I suspect we'll see a 30 for 30 on UM in the future

Ā 

KevinOMReb

Quote from: LRrazorback on July 28, 2015, 05:00:47 pm
Average campus, average facilities, average coach, average record past few years, average stadium = great recruiting?  Something doesn't add up or maybe it does. I suspect we'll see a 30 for 30 on UM in the future

Average campus?  I beg to disagree.  Have you been to Oxford?  It's a lovely college town and gameday in The Grove is second to none.  I like Fayetteville as well.
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

lasthog

Outlier. Statistical anomaly.

"They sure know how to recruit."="Your momma sure does care about your education, son."

To draw on a football expression, OM is most unlikely to be recruiting at such a high level due to "blocking and tackling" better than Arkansas or scores of others,  by being fundamentally better at the process.

Johnny Reb U is now the trendy place to go? Pleasssseeee! :puke:

770john111

It don't matter 30 to 0. they can have those I like mine

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: duckman on July 28, 2015, 02:59:18 pm
Fixed...

Speaking of fixed could someone narrow this thread so I don't have to scroll so far right that I am in Mississippi?

No doubt. It's got me in Alabama..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

SamBuckhart

If we keep shut outs coming, that will slow them down.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

LRrazorback

Kevin, I have actually spent a lot of time there, and you're right it is a nice campus but, compared to who UM is recruiting against to get these top players, it's average.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I've toured the facilities they are ok.  The stadium is a piece.  It's truly mind boggling that ole miss is recruiting this well.  I usually get tired of
All our posters acusing other teams of cheating but I can't think of another explanation

Huds_HawgTide

Agreed...has smelled fishy for awhile
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Marshfieldhog

redeye

July 29, 2015, 01:44:15 am #33 Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:03:14 am by redeye
First, I disagree that we've never recruited Texas well in the past.  We've gone from recruiting well in Texas, to struggling more then we should be.
It's almost mind-boggling how much trouble we have recruiting Texas, but it will improve.
One reason we're likely having more success in LA is because their players are more familiar with Arkansas.
Texas players are looking harder at SEC schools, nowadays, but we've been down. When we start winning again, they'll give us a harder look.
The Southwest Classic will also help, although I can't say I'd mind if the games were moved back to the campuses.

The most important thing, however, is that Texas is our natural recruiting ground, because it's the nearest recruiting hotbed to Fayetteville.
We'll never recruit better then other SEC teams in Florida or Georgia.  This is why I believe our coaches are committed in improving recruiting in Texas.

JackJohnson

Quote from: duckman on July 28, 2015, 01:28:08 pm
And Freeze will coach them into the ground.....

plus he will eventually get caught, he is Nutt with less scruples.  OM has now reached #2 on my most hated list right behind Auburn.

My fear is that Freeze is going to be the next Dabo Swinney.  Swinney was always signing tons of talent, but underachieving.  But he finally managed to accumulate so much talent even he couldn't screw it up.  OM is getting close to that and if they finish this year with what it looks like they may just get there  :puke:

JackJohnson

Quote from: duckman on July 28, 2015, 02:59:18 pm
Fixed...

I think it is the 2nd post and then the one later that has all of the $$$ signs

go hogues

Quote from: KevinOMReb on July 28, 2015, 05:20:45 pm
Average campus?  I beg to disagree.  Have you been to Oxford?  It's a lovely college town and gameday in The Grove is second to none.  I like Fayetteville as well.
Most overrated campus EVER. It's a slightly larger version of UCA's campus. I literally laughed out loud when I visited the square. I was like THIS is what people wet their pants over when describing Oxford? Oxford reminded me of Searcy.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The_Iceman