Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach has turned down players because of their Twitter account

Started by EverydayAllDay, July 16, 2015, 11:42:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty08

Quote from: TeedupHigh on July 18, 2015, 10:29:07 am
He Gone!  If this is true.  Sometime I wonder about people when it is spelled out for them and they still don't get it.

Admittedly I don't know a single thing about whaley, but if this is how his dad feels it might be better if he did go somewhere else. I don't say this to bash the kid at all, he is obviously talented and interested and we need RBs. What we don't need are headaches. Hopefully the younger whaley doesn't see things the same way.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ricepig

Quote from: lefty08 on July 18, 2015, 11:54:22 am
Admittedly I don't know a single thing about whaley, but if this is how his dad feels it might be better if he did go somewhere else. I don't say this to bash the kid at all, he is obviously talented and interested and we need RBs. What we don't need are headaches. Hopefully the younger whaley doesn't see things the same way.

No one said dad, it was his uncle.

Dwyane Wade

lefty08

Quote from: ricepig on July 18, 2015, 12:06:17 pm
No one said dad, it was his uncle.

Didn't read the story, saw it on another board and the comment I remembered was apparently wrong. Either way I feel the same. Thanks for the correction
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

JoeyCapital

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 17, 2015, 04:41:19 pm
We are recruiting Whaley.  Ipso Facto, CBB had no problem with his social media.  Why would Whaley (if that's who his uncle meant) have a problem with that.  He should take it as a compliment.  Geez...
+1 for proper usage of "ipso facto".

While most people are tripping over they're, there, your, and you're, you bring the heat with freakin ipso facto. My man!
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

RazorWhacker

Quote from: golf2day on July 18, 2015, 07:34:52 pm

While most people are tripping over they're, there, your, and you're, you bring the heat with freakin ipso facto. My man!

And "could of", could've, "should of", "should've".

jgphillips3

Quote from: golf2day on July 18, 2015, 07:34:52 pm

While most people are tripping over they're, there, your, and you're, you bring the heat with freakin ipso facto. My

Danke schön my friend. :)

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Philip Seaton

Just take a look at some of the recruits Twitter sites, then make notes and see where they end up. When one posts about "I want to get to college to get me white girl", and calling girls "b-ches" and "hoes" and talks about partying it up. Good athlete with lots of offers but then gets busted for domestic violence on his pregnant white girlfriend when he gets to college, you see what he is talking about it. Not make this a race issue but just giving you an example.

Social media is just another tool to look into athletes. Those that say they are all about "winning", but what good does is it said athlete is going to spend more time suspended then developing as a man and a football player? It is an opportunity wasted, and you only get 25 per year to get it right.

jjdlc

Statements like this are going to rub some parent's/guardians/Uncles/whatever the wrong way too, its just how some people are.  That said, those are typically the kind of relatives you don't want attached to the program either, those can often be as big or bigger of a headache as the actual athlete.

Pork Twain

As I tell my troops, don't post anything on social media that you would not say to your mom or your boss's face.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 20, 2015, 01:22:37 pm
As I tell my troops, don't post anything on social media that you would not say to your mom or your boss's face.
cause chances are one or both will end up seeing it at some point.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jry04 on July 17, 2015, 11:37:16 am
I have thrown many applications in the trash after seeing their social media pages. Most being college kids with nothing but alcohol and smoking in their photos. May not be fair, but it is how it is.

Years ago when social media first came out and started to be a problem I wrote the employee policy for it at the company I worked for at the time. It is amazing what idiots post on there and then think it doesn't matter.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

31to6

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2015, 09:08:27 pm
Years ago when social media first came out and started to be a problem I wrote the employee policy for it at the company I worked for at the time. It is amazing what idiots post on there and then think it doesn't matter.
My philosophy on this is that I keep my personal social media activity private to personal friends. Therefore, no employer has a legitimate need to see it and any employer who asked, for example, for my Facebook account just disqualified themselves from my services.

Thankfully, I happen to be in the "much sought after" phase of my career so I can afford to be selective. I understand that not everyone can stand on this principal--in which case curating their public persona is even more important.

That being said, I do have a Twitter account where I express my public/professional persona as well as linked.in. Everything on there is fair game since it is a public reflection of my identity.

With the younger generation, these barriers are not well maintained or completely non-existent and they truly don't understand that by putting so much of themselves in the public eye, they are documenting their immaturity forever.

WorfHog

Quote from: 31to6 on July 20, 2015, 09:16:21 pm
My philosophy on this is that I keep my personal social media activity private to personal friends. Therefore, no employer has a legitimate need to see it and any employer who asked, for example, for my Facebook account just disqualified themselves from my services.

Thankfully, I happen to be in the "much sought after" phase of my career so I can afford to be selective. I understand that not everyone can stand on this principal--in which case curating their public persona is even more important.

That being said, I do have a Twitter account where I express my public/professional persona as well as linked.in. Everything on there is fair game since it is a public reflection of my identity.

With the younger generation, these barriers are not well maintained or completely non-existent and they truly don't understand that by putting so much of themselves in the public eye, they are documenting their immaturity forever.

As baby boomers retire the job market it's going to be full of gen-xers and millennials. Everyone will have a social footprint. The old standards are going to fall by the wayside.

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on July 17, 2015, 10:53:05 am
Devwah Whaley's uncle tweeted that Bielema may turned off some recruits with that statement.
https://twitter.com/TerryRo61625135/status/621717917197996032
All 33 of his followers must not have been impressed. Didn't see any retweets or favorites. Nothing to see here.

Seebs

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on July 21, 2015, 08:40:43 am
All 33 of his followers must not have been impressed. Didn't see any retweets or favorites. Nothing to see here.

He may be searching for  a Zen moment - he hums after each tweet.  Hummmmmmmmm .....
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ifghog

I have thrown many applications in the trash after seeing their social media pages. Most being college kids with nothing but alcohol and smoking in their photos. May not be fair, but it is how it is.
As have I.

redeye

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2015, 09:08:27 pm

This is some of the reason I don't use twitter.  I'm not claiming that's smart, but I don't wanna be judged on all my fleeting thoughts.

Quote from: WorfHog on July 21, 2015, 08:14:09 am
As baby boomers retire the job market it's going to be full of gen-xers and millennials. Everyone will have a social footprint. The old standards are going to fall by the wayside.

I'm not sure gen-xers are much different from baby boomers in this regard.  At least this one isn't.

I think it's more millennials, but then I probably know more baby boomers with facebook accounts then gen-xers.

31to6

Yes, but that is not where we are now and it is a good decade or more before millennials are making important hiring decisions. Until then, it will be best to not have bare-assed pictures of yourself face down in your own vomit on the Internet for everyone to see. :)

ChiTown27

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul."

George Bernard Shaw

Inhogswetrust

It doesn't matter when it comes to employment and company policies. The need to keep social media private AND be extremely careful what you say and do on it cannot be emphasized enough. Companies can and do fire employees over what they put on the Internet.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ifghog on July 21, 2015, 09:35:24 am
As have I.

Applicants would be shocked sometimes as to how often people don't get employed because of it or fired because of it.

Vantage 8 dude

July 22, 2015, 07:24:27 am #75 Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:17:23 am by Vantage 8 dude
Admittedly I'm very much "old school". I also realize a lot of things change, some for the good and others not so much. However, there's an old observation that I believe still holds true (and suspect always will) that applies to texting, posting, etc. "Put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion". If it applies to what you might speak, it sure as heck  should also apply to anything you might write. :D

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 22, 2015, 07:15:04 am
Applicants would be shocked sometimes as to how often people don't get employed because of it or fired because of it.

We warn people about improper use of social media in the military. It is an extension of who you are and can reach many more people than just your "Friends". Free speech doesn't trump military law.
This is my non-signature signature.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 22, 2015, 07:30:13 am
We warn people about improper use of social media in the military. It is an extension of who you are and can reach many more people than just your "Friends". Free speech doesn't trump military law.

Rights have responsibilities.......................

Hoggish1

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on July 17, 2015, 10:53:05 am
Devwah Whaley's uncle tweeted that Bielema may turned off some recruits with that statement.
https://twitter.com/TerryRo61625135/status/621717917197996032

Uh, I choose to see it that some recruits may see the handwriting on the wall.
Recruits don't get to turn us down unless we have first accepted them.

Hoggish1

Most being college kids with nothing but alcohol and smoking in their photos. May not be fair, but it is how it is.

Why isn't that fair?

They are not making you hire them.

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Quote from: jjdlc on July 19, 2015, 06:05:38 pm
Statements like this are going to rub some parent's/guardians/Uncles/whatever the wrong way too, its just how some people are.  That said, those are typically the kind of relatives you don't want attached to the program either, those can often be as big or bigger of a headache as the actual athlete.

NLR?

jgphillips3

I thank God that smart phones did not exist when I was in younger.  Photographic evidence of my stupidity may exist on film in the hands of my fraternity brothers but at least we have a sort of mutually assured destruction detente and it wasn't automatically posted to the Internet.

hawg IQ

Most gen-xers think like baby boomers, but are more cyber linked and much richer. On the other hand millennials are computer generated you-tube creatures that never look at anything beyond the iphone that's grown to their hands. Their politics and social media interest are much the same. All that being said, they are educated beyond belief. They have talents and "know how" that's leave us old timers in the dust
go hogs go !

JoeyCapital

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 26, 2015, 01:11:10 pm
I thank God that smart phones did not exist when I was in younger.  Photographic evidence of my stupidity may exist on film in the hands of my fraternity brothers but at least we have a sort of mutually assured destruction detente and it wasn't automatically posted to the Internet.
This.

Thank god camera phones and social media weren't available when I was in HS. I'd probably still be in prison.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

jjdlc

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 23, 2015, 09:02:48 pm
NLR?

Haha, I wasn't thinking of that specifically when I posted that, but yes, good example.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: golf2day on July 27, 2015, 08:14:02 pm
This.

Thank god camera phones and social media weren't available when I was in HS. I'd probably still be in prison.
I don't even know where to start..... It woulda been bad

jvanhorn

Quote from: LJHOG on July 16, 2015, 04:31:17 pm
"It's the things that [athletic director] Jeff Long and our fans hold me accountable to."

Winning is what I hold him accountable for.

Then your part of the problem

JackJohnson

I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the guys CBB was talking about AND if CBB wasn't the coach that made this comment.  I remember us recruiting him, then we just stopped

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/133261/tyreek-hill

Akron is still not recognizing dismissed Oklahoma State junior WR/RB Tyreek Hill on their roster.

Hill was dismissed back in December following domestic abuse charges, and an anonymous SEC coach ripped the former Cowboy for his "repulsive" twitter account during the football player's recruitment. Hill reportedly transferred to Akron, but the change in school might not have happened after all. "Tried to get Akron to confirm he was joining the team a couple times since he announced. Nada," ESPN writer David Ubben tweeted. Jul 28 - 10:32 AM

Philip Seaton

Quote from: JackJohnson on July 28, 2015, 10:52:49 am
I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the guys CBB was talking about AND if CBB wasn't the coach that made this comment.  I remember us recruiting him, then we just stopped

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/133261/tyreek-hill

Akron is still not recognizing dismissed Oklahoma State junior WR/RB Tyreek Hill on their roster.

Hill was dismissed back in December following domestic abuse charges, and an anonymous SEC coach ripped the former Cowboy for his "repulsive" twitter account during the football player's recruitment. Hill reportedly transferred to Akron, but the change in school might not have happened after all. "Tried to get Akron to confirm he was joining the team a couple times since he announced. Nada," ESPN writer David Ubben tweeted. Jul 28 - 10:32 AM

I don't know if he was or not, but I remember seeing his Twitter account when mentioned as a recruit for Hogs. It was disgusting. So surprised when it was him? Not at all. He has ZERO respect for women.

Yet, where ever he lands, and someone will pick him up. He will not have a problem attracting women because he is an athlete. Sad indeed because it is only going to keep happening.