Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach has turned down players because of their Twitter account

Started by EverydayAllDay, July 16, 2015, 11:42:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Recruiting Guy

One very well known prospect who was kicked off his team was one of them.

Pulled(PP)pork

It's time to grow up and be responsible for your words/actions

PP

jgphillips3

I heard him say this and what a great way to make our offer just that much more valuable and meaningful: "It's a bunch of we, not me, and I can't stress enough that, just because you're a great player in the United States of America, doesn't mean Arkansas is going to recruit you." 

Scott7703

redeye

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 16, 2015, 01:22:58 pm
I heard him say this and what a great way to make our offer just that much more valuable and meaningful: "It's a bunch of we, not me, and I can't stress enough that, just because you're a great player in the United States of America, doesn't mean Arkansas is going to recruit you."

I know many are skeptical that we ever turn down 4-5* recruits, but this is straight from the horse's mouth.

hancockvet

The more I see out of the coach the more I like him.  We need more people with this kind of attitude not only in sports but just in life in general.  Character is the most valuable  and apparently most rare commodity in any organization right now; sports, business, government.

LJHOG

"It's the things that [athletic director] Jeff Long and our fans hold me accountable to."

Winning is what I hold him accountable for.

Huds_HawgTide

You should all be blessed to receive an offer from THE U of A
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

ricepig

Quote from: LJHOG on July 16, 2015, 04:31:17 pm
"It's the things that [athletic director] Jeff Long and our fans hold me accountable to."

Yeah, but you don't have a say in the matter.

redeye

And as he said, you recruit your own problems.

gmarv

Quote from: redeye on July 16, 2015, 05:16:16 pm
I think that's one of the best thing about cbb,we have been recruiting very few problems and when they do show up cbb handles it the right way.

NLRHog92

Quote from: gmarv on July 16, 2015, 05:28:48 pm
I think that's one of the best thing about cbb,we have been recruiting very few problems and when they do show up cbb handles it the right way.

Sure does stink sometimes though. Could have definitely used Marshall and Ramsey this year. KM was fun to watch and gave us that burst, and likely would have gotten a lot of reps had he stayed here up until Sr year. Ramsey looked like he was going to be a STUD, and maybe he works his way back, not sure if he was 100% kicked off or not yet. But shoulda coulda woulda doesn't change anything, and I'm thrilled to have the young men that do everything the right way represent us on and off the field, and it's 'borderline orgasmic' to know that you have the right head Hog in place  :razorback: ::hornsdown::

oldbear

I would be happy to send my son to play for him. I believe he gives kids a better chance to be successful for the rest of their lives. That is the best compliment I can give him.

PorkSoda

Quote from: redeye on July 16, 2015, 05:16:16 pm
no doubt, there is zero point in recruiting a 5 star that you think is going to end up in jail or otherwise ineligible. 

Now, I don't think players have to be saints, but I seriously doubt he is going to recruit a Jamies Winston wannabe.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

redeye

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 16, 2015, 05:39:15 pm
no doubt, there is zero point in recruiting a 5 star that you think is going to end up in jail or otherwise ineligible. 

Now, I don't think players have to be saints, but I seriously doubt he is going to recruit a Jamies Winston wannabe.

Yea, exactly.

Deep Shoat

You don't hold him accountable for anything.  You just whine and complain when things don't go your way.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hammer66

Your fortunate you don't have the talent to play football, because if you did and you truly are a razorback you would never receive a scholly to play for the team you love.
You don't fit the uncommon tag coach is looking for!!

Hoggish1

Hawgzinbowlz

A nice way to get a snapshot into a players personality. Let's not recruit a problem.

" GO HOGS "

immahog

We backed off a LB from florida who committed to that MF bobby and was arrested months later. I respect and never question BB
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

gmarv

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 16, 2015, 05:34:33 pm
Sure does stink sometimes though. Could have definitely used Marshall and Ramsey this year. KM was fun to watch and gave us that burst, and likely would have gotten a lot of reps had he stayed here up until Sr year. Ramsey looked like he was going to be a STUD, and maybe he works his way back, not sure if he was 100% kicked off or not yet. But shoulda coulda woulda doesn't change anything, and I'm thrilled to have the young men that do everything the right way represent us on and off the field, and it's 'borderline orgasmic' to know that you have the right head Hog in place  :razorback: ::hornsdown::
don,t you think that after the second chance marshall got there was gonna have to be a third chance.i,ll take cbbs way everytime,rules are there for a reason as are standards.

snoot hoggy hog

Devwah Whaley's uncle tweeted that Bielema may turned off some recruits with that statement.
https://twitter.com/TerryRo61625135/status/621717917197996032

navyhog24

onebadrubi

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on July 17, 2015, 10:53:05 am
Devwah Whaley's uncle tweeted that Bielema may turned off some recruits with that statement.

Thats absurd.  Go apply for a job and see what they do.  I am sure it will be cleared up with Whaley and his guardians if there is an issue, but to say it will turn off a recruit, that seems as if someone is looking for an excuse.   

East TN HAWG

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 17, 2015, 10:54:33 am
Oh well. Then those are the ones we don't want.

Exactly, this is a good football player no doubt.  If they want to say things on social media that turns the coaches stomach, then we don't need them at all.  Hopefully, it turns the thugs off, and turns the "high character kids" on.     

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 17, 2015, 11:02:46 am
Thats absurd.  Go apply for a job and see what they do.  I am sure it will be cleared up with Whaley and his guardians if there is an issue, but to say it will turn off a recruit, that seems as if someone is looking for an excuse.

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 17, 2015, 10:54:33 am
Oh well. Then those are the ones we don't want.

Exactly.  I really appreciate that CBB not only looks at and considers social media, but he isn't afraid to share that with the public.  Speaks volumes to not only him and our program, but to the type of players we are looking for.

I also think the POSITIVE interest from parents on a comment like this will outweigh the negative feedback from a few recruits. 

:razorback:

ricepig

And learn the difference between their/there/they're

jry04

I have thrown many applications in the trash after seeing their social media pages. Most being college kids with nothing but alcohol and smoking in their photos. May not be fair, but it is how it is.

redeye

Quote from: immahog on July 17, 2015, 06:27:20 am
We backed off a LB from florida who committed to that MF bobby and was arrested months later. I respect and never question BB

It seems like this has happened a few times since Bielema's been here.

31to6

Quote from: jry04 on July 17, 2015, 11:37:16 am
I have thrown many applications in the trash after seeing their social media pages. Most being college kids with nothing but alcohol and smoking in their photos. May not be fair, but it is how it is.
I think what gets coach B is not instances of kids being kids, but rather instances of young men buying into the worst aspects of our culture that has produced the Jamies Winston's of the world.

He clearly drinks beer and likes pretty girls and is not a publicly religious individual so I can't see why seeing a prospect at a party (kids being kids) or using a little coarse language would "make him sick".

On the other hand, a kid who spouts a lot of hateful and disrespectful talk about (and especially to) women (bi---s and hoes), who revels in gratuitous violence toward those unable to defend themselves (knockout game) and who glorifies extreme drug use is not the kind of kid he wants, not the kind of kid we want--and definitely not the kind of kids that Whaley's family should want him surrounded by for 3-5 years.

Hopefully the staff can clarify that CBB loves social media and has no problems with recruits having fun on Twitter, but that  he cautions recruits to understand that their public profile reflects on their reputation and they should want that to be a positive image.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2015, 11:22:38 am
And learn the difference between their/there/they're

Man I was about to cuss you like a dog.  I've been reading the meanings of their/there/they're for five minutes.  I was like crap!  Did i forget the proper times to use which one.  Then I realized you are talking about the tweet.  haha SOB

onebadrubi

Quote from: 31to6 on July 17, 2015, 12:16:54 pm
I think what gets coach B is not instances of kids being kids, but rather instances of young men buying into the worst aspects of our culture that has produced the Jamies Winston's of the world.

He clearly drinks beer and likes pretty girls and is not a publicly religious individual so I can't see why seeing a prospect at a party (kids being kids) or using a little coarse language would "make him sick".

On the other hand, a kid who spouts a lot of hateful and disrespectful talk about (and especially to) women (bi---s and hoes), who revels in gratuitous violence toward those unable to defend themselves (knockout game) and who glorifies extreme drug use is not the kind of kid he wants, not the kind of kid we want--and definitely not the kind of kids that Whaley's family should want him surrounded by for 3-5 years.

Hopefully the staff can clarify that CBB loves social media and has no problems with recruits having fun on Twitter, but that  he cautions recruits to understand that their public profile reflects on their reputation and they should want that to be a positive image.

Exactly.  I don't think Coach is going to drop a recruit for having a picture around a bondfire with a beer in his hand.  But if he is tweeting ray rice and saying you should do it again, then I think there is where he says, NEXT. 

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 17, 2015, 12:20:39 pm
Man I was about to cuss you like a dog.  I've been reading the meanings of their/there/they're for five minutes.  I was like crap!  Did i forget the proper times to use which one.  Then I realized you are talking about the tweet.  haha SOB

Hey now, a dog doesn't deserve a cussing, now an ex-wife.....I just figured if you were making a statement for all the world to see, it helps to get it right. Now, I butcher the Queen's English both the spoken word  and in type, but I'm not calling out a sitting NCAA coach.

31to6

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 17, 2015, 12:22:17 pm
Exactly.  I don't think Coach is going to drop a recruit for having a picture around a bondfire with a beer in his hand.  But if he is tweeting ray rice and saying you should do it again, then I think there is where he says, NEXT. 
Coaches have to make choices.

You don't get this kind of thread: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=595271.0 ("UA coaches impress parent")

Without the values that lead to a thread like we are in right now.

onebadrubi

Quote from: 31to6 on July 17, 2015, 12:27:03 pm
Coaches have to make choices.

You don't get this kind of thread: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=595271.0 ("UA coaches impress parent")

Without the values that lead to a thread like we are in right now.

Exactly, Bielema knows how to win over the parents of the likes of Wallace, Henry, do we have a nick name for the Dane yet, and so many others.  If someone is mad at his process then he's just going to move on.  It's refreshing to see. 

I do have to believe this will be cleared up with the individual questioning it.  I'd bet that when it is, the guardian/unlce will say well I can see what you mean now. 

Tusks

So I guess players that tweet pictures of THEIR feathered money after a recruiting visit aren't going to be signed by CBB.

I don't see why this is a problem?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Vantage 8 dude

While what I'm about to say is not specially directed at Whaley's uncle; however, IF you're a kid who has a problem with CBB's standards then don't worry about an offer from him 'cause you likely won't be receiving one any way. Should therefore be a total nonevent for such a player.

The Hogfather

ADavisTheGOAT

I remember I was looking at Ronald Jones II's twitter profile about a year ago and there was female body parts in his photos.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

onebadrubi

Good example in todays local Little Rock news. 

If you steal two cars from a car dealership and then post video's of you racing them on the interstate on twitter, don't expect an offer.  (True story)

jgphillips3

We are recruiting Whaley.  Ipso Facto, CBB had no problem with his social media.  Why would Whaley (if that's who his uncle meant) have a problem with that.  He should take it as a compliment.  Geez...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 17, 2015, 04:41:19 pm
We are recruiting Whaley.  Ipso Facto, CBB had no problem with his social media.  Why would Whaley (if that's who his uncle meant) have a problem with that.  He should take it as a compliment.  Geez...
Good question. Kinda back to what I said about anyone who's got something on their twitter, facebook or some other site that would not necessarily be something that would be viewed as positive are the kids that should worry. Otherwise, they shouldn't have any concerns. It's the former situation that CBB is addressing and targeting.

RazorWhacker

I don't know if I have ever read a more SPOT ON post.

+1

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: Scott7703 on July 16, 2015, 03:28:31 pm
Kid from Florida?

Not the kid I'm talking about. The kid I believe you're talking about was more about what they learned about the kid off the field not so much on Twitter.

MuskogeeHogFan

I guarantee you that he doesn't want kids that reflect an image of being self-absorbed and selfish, along with most of what you mentioned. These are the "culls" from this organization. It is a clear message and I am glad.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: tusked on July 17, 2015, 01:17:45 pm
So I guess players that tweet pictures of THEIR feathered money after a recruiting visit aren't going to be signed by CBB.

I don't see why this is a problem?

I think it's wrong on many levels, but if it's all done in fun, then I'm not sure it's a big deal.  However, if a coach is unwilling to offer a player for this reason, I can understand why.

TeedupHigh

He Gone!  If this is true.  Sometime I wonder about people when it is spelled out for them and they still don't get it.

Vantage 8 dude

Then obviously Jimbo Fisher and Urban Meyers are your kind of heros.