Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scotty Thurman question?

Started by nwahogfan1, April 17, 2016, 02:12:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Does hiring Coach Thurman raise your optimism in our BB program?

yes. Scotty will be a very good recruiter and teacher
no. Scotty does not have enough experience in those areas to get me excited.
not sure.

nwahogfan1

I want to be excited and positive but at the same time I am nervous and skeptical.  What experience at college coaching has Coach Thurman done? What recruiting has he done? what players has he recruited in the past?  Who has he signed?

WilsonHog

April 17, 2016, 02:47:45 pm #1 Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:59:01 pm by WilsonHog
The hiring of an assistant coach, no matter who it is, will not move the needle up or down for me.

Ironhawg

April 17, 2016, 05:15:46 pm #2 Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:49:58 pm by Ironhawg
I see what Wilson is saying, but I just don't have a feeling one way or the other on this hire.  I know nothing about what coach Z brought to the table.  Scotty Thurman, as far as coaching and recruiting, is an unknown too.  I guess we hang on and see what happens.

gmarv

because I like scotty I will be open to the hope that he will be a great assistant.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WilsonHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 17, 2016, 05:15:46 pm
I see what Wilson is saying, but I just don't have a feeling one way or the other on this hire.  I know nothing about what coach Z brought to the table.  Scotty Thurman, as far as coaching and recruiting, is an unknown too.  I guess we hang on and see what happens.

I left out a very important word: "not."

I won't feel better or worse about the program until the NCAA Tournament bids are handed out next March. Until then, I'm like Switzerland.

ShadowHawg

Is this really a Hog forum?

Openly trashing a hog legend isn't even off limits?

What has Thurman done that he shouldn't at least get some time to prove himself BEFORE the negativity begins?

I can see the folks that wanted a proven guy hired and didn't get it being upset. I get it.

I don't get the projections of failure being slung at Thurman himself when he has accomplished more than 99% of the people in this country in terms of achievement and still loves this state and University.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 17, 2016, 08:01:05 pm
I left out a very important word: "not."

I won't feel better or worse about the program until the NCAA Tournament bids are handed out next March. Until then, I'm like Switzerland.

mbgrulz

I agree, but it does seem like some schools have that 1 assistant who everybody secretly wants, but openly hates on for being dirty because they get players left and right.

A big part of me wanted that guy, and for that I think you could get excited.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 17, 2016, 08:03:27 pm
Is this really a Hog forum?

What has Thurman done that he shouldn't at least get some time to prove himself BEFORE the negativity begins?

I can see the folks that wanted a proven guy hired and didn't get it being upset. I get it.

I don't get the projections of failure being slung at Thurman himself when he has accomplished more than 99% of the people in this country in terms of achievement and still loves this state and University.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 17, 2016, 08:03:27 pm

Scotty is not being trashed.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Kevin

separate scotty the person & legendary player from him as a coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

26.2Hog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 17, 2016, 02:12:48 pm
I want to be excited and positive but at the same time I am nervous and skeptical.  What experience at college coaching has Coach Thurman done? What recruiting has he done? what players has he recruited in the past?  Who has he signed?

To bluntly answer your questions, Scotty has zero collegiate coaching experience, and zero recruiting experience.

He does appear to be a fine young man with outstanding character and values in the way he lives his life and conducts himself both in private and in public. I haven't seen anyone posting here that doesn't wish him the best, and I certainly join those ranks. But I wonder if any other candidates with a resume of successful recruiting were considered and interviewed. If so, who were they, and if not, why not?

Pork Twain

We need ALL new assistants and then maybe real change will be made in recruiting and retention.  I would also prefer that those new assistants were hired by a new HC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 18, 2016, 12:03:12 pm
We need ALL new assistants and then maybe real change will be made in recruiting and retention.  I would also prefer that those new assistants were hired by a new HC.

Just don't think we can expect that with Mike.  I think he keeps an inner circle for reasons. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Sivad

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 18, 2016, 12:35:51 pm
Just don't think we can expect that with Mike.  I think he keeps an inner circle for reasons. 
ala Houston Dale Nutt

Dr. Starcs

People comparing cma to hdn should really be ignored.

They need to read Doug's post from last week on motho.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 18, 2016, 05:00:05 pm
It's getting tougher to ignore the similarities.

Razorbackers

If you think that Scotty will be an improvement in recruiting, that's fine. I just ask for any reason other than "1994" or "he'll connect with the players".

He's 41 years old and won a ring 22 years ago. None of the kids he's recruiting were alive when he was playing. In fact, the biggest advice he can offer a player is why going pro early isn't recommended.

I'm certain that he could prove me wrong. But CMA and the players just lost a great fundamentals/system coach in Zimmerman, with 14 years of expierence in Anderson's system. Look at the development of some of the players, particularly guards, just at UA, not even at Mizzou or UAB, and you'll see why I'm skeptical about Scotty. Zimm helped develop those players.

And while he wasn't out there recruiting much, he was a great sidelines/practice coach. And if you're going to replace a guy like that with someone, I'd expect that someone to have something to bring to the table other than nostalgia for the fans who aren't being recruited anyway.

Sure, Scotty could maybe go visit a kid in Little Rock and get more traction than some other folks because of who he is, but how many kids in Little Rock, or Arkansas for that matter, are we recruiting every year? Scotty ain't nothin in Missouri, or Florida, and Cali, or insert other place.

Hope I'm wrong, but I really REALLY don't like this move.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 18, 2016, 05:00:05 pm

They need to read Doug's post from last week on motho.

The comparisons to some of the things HDN did away from the game are off base, but his handling of coaches, keeping a close inner circle, getting his team up for big games, but losing games he should not, stubbornly sticking to things that were not working, things like that, are very similar to Mike.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Razorbackers on April 18, 2016, 09:48:49 pm
If you think that Scotty will be an improvement in recruiting, that's fine. I just ask for any reason other than "1994" or "he'll connect with the players".

He's 41 years old and won a ring 22 years ago. None of the kids he's recruiting were alive when he was playing. In fact, the biggest advice he can offer a player is why going pro early isn't recommended.

I'm certain that he could prove me wrong. But CMA and the players just lost a great fundamentals/system coach in Zimmerman, with 14 years of expierence in Anderson's system. Look at the development of some of the players, particularly guards, just at UA, not even at Mizzou or UAB, and you'll see why I'm skeptical about Scotty. Zimm helped develop those players.

And while he wasn't out there recruiting much, he was a great sidelines/practice coach. And if you're going to replace a guy like that with someone, I'd expect that someone to have something to bring to the table other than nostalgia for the fans who aren't being recruited anyway.

Sure, Scotty could maybe go visit a kid in Little Rock and get more traction than some other folks because of who he is, but how many kids in Little Rock, or Arkansas for that matter, are we recruiting every year? Scotty ain't nothin in Missouri, or Florida, and Cali, or insert other place.

Hope I'm wrong, but I really REALLY don't like this move.

Pretty sure he has kids these guys' age. It helps a lot.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2016, 08:54:09 am
The comparisons to some of the things HDN did away from the game are off base, but his handling of coaches, keeping a close inner circle, getting his team up for big games, but losing games he should not, stubbornly sticking to things that were not working, things like that, are very similar to Mike.

Actually Nutt was known for being DISLOYAL to all but a very few of his coaches.

Which basketball coach here do you think DIDN'T have a close inner circle. I have been close to the program in the past. The size of the basketball team lends itself to having a much smaller circle. So how is MA doing things differently from the other staffs before him?

All coaches lose games they shouldn't. Really? Coach K has presided over 3 of the top 11 most stunning losses of the last 20 years according to some and that doesn't include his losses to VCU and Lehigh. Again, because basketball plays nearly 3 times as many games as football, the comparison is apples to oranges.

You are reaching here to say the least.

Kevin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 22, 2016, 12:16:16 am
Actually Nutt was known for being DISLOYAL to all but a very few of his coaches.

Which basketball coach here do you think DIDN'T have a close inner circle. I have been close to the program in the past. The size of the basketball team lends itself to having a much smaller circle. So how is MA doing things differently from the other staffs before him?

All coaches lose games they shouldn't. Really? Coach K has presided over 3 of the top 11 most stunning losses of the last 20 years according to some and that doesn't include his losses to VCU and Lehigh. Again, because basketball plays nearly 3 times as many games as football, the comparison is apples to oranges.

You are reaching here to say the least.

how many ncaa championship banners has cma won compared to coach k?