Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't tell me Tarheels get all the calls

Started by verticalhog, April 04, 2016, 10:35:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

verticalhog

They were totally screwed by the refs tonight.  I can't count the # of times they traveled and it was called ONE time!  Also some very bad calls on fouls.  I'm a Hog fan but my other degree is from UNC so I'm bummed about this.  Now I'm ready for the Hogs to bring in the new guys and make some noise next season.

Dr. Starcs

hobhog

Probably right and doesn't bother me a bit. UNC program needs to be cleaned up.

HamIAm

Dropkick

sucamken

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

PonderinHog

Dropkick

So now that it is over and the Nova athletes go back to class where do the UNC players go?....................I keed! I keed!

ronmahony

Ha I saw a lot of no calls on NC that should have been fouls. And several bad ones called against Nova. On the other hand I was watching the Nova stream, they even said they got by with that last travel.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Atlhogfan1

Watching press conf on ESPN.  Roy is taking this one hard. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: verticalhog on April 04, 2016, 10:35:53 pm
They were totally screwed by the refs tonight.  I can't count the # of times they traveled and it was called ONE time!  Also some very bad calls on fouls.  I'm a Hog fan but my other degree is from UNC so I'm bummed about this.  Now I'm ready for the Hogs to bring in the new guys and make some noise next season.

Yea I basically agree.  I thought that a. The refs were a little bit favoring nova and b. They were really letting them play on the inside which hurt unc because they rely so much on inside scoring.  They were getting hacked like crazy on the inside with no calls. 

I don't feel bad for unc though.  I saw some deadspin article today highlighting how dirty their program is.

BigSexyHog

Won't see me crying.  I thought the refs did just fine
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

sickboy

Thought that was the best NCAA final that I can recall since the 90's. What a game. Will certainly remember that one for a long, long time.

hogwood

I actually thought the whole F4 was really well officiated. Especially the SYR vs. UNC game. This game had a couple calls that I didn't agree with, but maybe only 3. Great refs IMO.

SuperSid4Ever

And to add insult to UNC's injury, they will wake up tomorrow and realize that Duke is the preseason #1 going forward.  LOL

A game that was as hard fought as any in recent memory, and we have a closet UNC fan coming on here blaming officials for the loss.  Wow.

alohawg

Just watched 2nd half again and guess what, there was at most a couple questionable calls both ways.  I thought watching it live it was well officiated and now seeing it again only confirms that. It was simply an awesome title tussle, one for the ages that may be looked back on as providing the greatest last 15 seconds in the history of championship games.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

alohawg

April 05, 2016, 03:17:09 am #17 Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:27:21 am by alohawg
Double post
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Inhogswetrust

So you're not biased at all then huh? Go NOVA!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

The game was called consistently and that all we can hope for.  Big shot and a Big win for the Nova!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pulled(PP)pork

I thought it was destiny with that NC tying 3, being such a awkward shot.....but so glad Nova answered.  Almost as good as them beating the Hoyas in the 80's

PP

hogsanity

Does any team ever lose any game anywhere EVER that their fans do not blame the officials?

I truly love when people complain about travelling not being called. If refs called every travel in a basketball game at just about any level, there would be nothing but whistles and the games would last 5 hours. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

unc got the best call of all. that is not having a lifetime ban after 18 years of academic fraud in their program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Dr. Starcs

hoglady

Quote from: Kevin on April 05, 2016, 09:06:57 am
unc got the best call of all. that is not having a lifetime ban after 18 years of academic fraud in their program

No kidding.
If they weren't one of the untouchable basketball programs in the country they wouldn't be playing right now.
Glad they lost, don't care for Roy Williams especially after crying about the treatment of his team this year.
You just want to say, Really??? - you should be thanking the NCAA gods you're not on probation for the foreseeable future.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 05, 2016, 08:24:40 am
The game was called consistently and that all we can hope for.  Big shot and a Big win for the Nova!

Truth.

20 team fouls called on UNC.  16 called on Villanova.  That may not be dead even, but it is about as balanced as you can expect.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The first 4 fouls of the game were called on Nova. UNC didn't get called for a foul until the 12:07 mark in the first half.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Pigsfeat

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2016, 09:00:45 am
Does any team ever lose any game anywhere EVER that their fans do not blame the officials?

I truly love when people complain about travelling not being called. If refs called every travel in a basketball game at just about any level, there would be nothing but whistles and the games would last 5 hours.
I wish they would call traveling and all other fundamentals every time they happened and clean up the game. Just me.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Did you major in African studies at UNC? Or where you not a basketball player?

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Pigsfeat on April 05, 2016, 05:32:25 pm
I wish they would call traveling and all other fundamentals every time they happened and clean up the game. Just me.

Agreed.  Drives me crazy every time I see it. 

bigredone

Quote from: Pigsfeat on April 05, 2016, 05:32:25 pm

This. I watched part of the FF but the almost NBA like game does not appeal to me.

latrops

I'm sure Indiana fans are amused at UNC fans complaining about officiating.  UNC was in the bonus a little over 3 minutes into the 2nd half in the game against Indiana and shot 23 2nd half freethrows.   

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2016, 09:00:45 am

First question is an easy answer.......NO.

The second sentence has a direct correlation to the Hogs not going one year to the Final Four. Bob Heaton says "Hi".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jim Harris

Can you imagine how it would have sounded if Billy Packer were still doing the color with Nantz?

And, speaking of fans in the championship game not liking the calls, does anybody else remember late former Hog/former agent Elbert Crawford getting kicked out of the 1995 championship game in Seattle for going nuts under the baseline at the officiating, the way the stripes let UCLA clobber Corliss inside? He was sitting with Alice Walton at the game.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 06, 2016, 06:48:11 am
First question is an easy answer.......NO.

The second sentence has a direct correlation to the Hogs not going one year to the Final Four. Bob Heaton says "Hi".

I am not saying not to call travelling, what I am saying is if they called it by the book the way the game is played now, there would be nothing but whistles.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on April 06, 2016, 09:29:44 am
I am not saying not to call travelling, what I am saying is if they called it by the book the way the game is played now, there would be nothing but whistles.

I'm thinking you are referring to "palming" or "carrying" the ball. Traveling is not the hardest call in basketball. In a nutshell a player has two steps after a dribble to release the ball via a shot or pass. The one thing that a lot of people don't realize also is the jump stop shot is legal also. We've had a couple of guards that were really good at it. 

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 07, 2016, 05:37:43 am
I'm thinking you are referring to "palming" or "carrying" the ball. Traveling is not the hardest call in basketball. In a nutshell a player has two steps after a dribble to release the ball via a shot or pass. The one thing that a lot of people don't realize also is the jump stop shot is legal also. We've had a couple of guards that were really good at it.

The rule also requires the person with the ball to put the ball on the floor before they move both of their feet.  Once one foot has moved, the other in essence becomes their pivot foot.  So long as that foot stays on the floor, they can pivot on it, but they MUST start their dribble before they move that pivot foot from one spot to another on the floor.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SuperSid4Ever on April 07, 2016, 06:43:15 am
The rule also requires the person with the ball to put the ball on the floor before they move both of their feet.  Once one foot has moved, the other in essence becomes their pivot foot.  So long as that foot stays on the floor, they can pivot on it, but they MUST start their dribble before they move that pivot foot from one spot to another on the floor.

True as well. I do admit they could probably call "palming" or "carrying" more often. However that is a difficult call to make.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 07, 2016, 06:55:14 am
True as well. I do admit they could probably call "palming" or "carrying" more often. However that is a difficult call to make.

Oh yeah, we see palming and carrying all the time.  Absolutely.  And both are considered "double-dribbling" more than anything else, when you get down to it.

alohawg

The And1 stuff, non-stop palming the ball. I wish they would refocus emphasis at all levels of play to stifle that nonsense.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

hogsanity

Quote from: alohawg on April 07, 2016, 01:21:20 pm
The And1 stuff, non-stop palming the ball. I wish they would refocus emphasis at all levels of play to stifle that nonsense.

the fear is no one would watch, because, at least for a while, it would be ugly basketball.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogsanity on April 07, 2016, 03:12:37 pm
the fear is no one would watch, because, at least for a while, it would be ugly basketball.

And it isn't now?
I'd guess for every 10 fouls called driving to the basket, 4 are legit, 4 are phantom, and two could go either way.
The refs are so anxious to be a part of an "and one" the whistle blows before the dust has settled.  Then the ref has to go through with the bogus call due to play stoppage.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SuperSid4Ever

hogsanity

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 07, 2016, 08:58:08 pm
And it isn't now?
I'd guess for every 10 fouls called driving to the basket, 4 are legit, 4 are phantom, and two could go either way.
The refs are so anxious to be a part of an "and one" the whistle blows before the dust has settled.  Then the ref has to go through with the bogus call due to play stoppage.

Guy goes hard to the basket and there is contact effecting the play, it's a foul on someone. My take is they do not call offensive fouls enough for initiating the contact.

As for wanting to be a part of an and one, people put way too much thought into what refs do and do not want to do. I can tell you when I am on the court or the field, I want to be invisible. Now, I do not ref at that level, I am not in front of 20K people and thousands or millions on tv.