Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruiting One And Dones

Started by SooiecidetillNuttgone, March 26, 2016, 04:53:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

Quote from: ATU HOG on March 30, 2016, 01:55:11 pm
I think this is why you see so many upsets in the tournament come March.  You have these teams with a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds, compared to a team with 21 and 22 year olds who have been playing together for a few years.  The team with more talent doesn't always win, but the team that plays together puts themselves in a better position to succeed.  That's why it's fun watching mid majors win over traditional powerhouses.

How many Mid Majors made it to the Sweet 16 in this down year for college basketball?
SEC!

Sivad

Quote from: hogman99 on March 30, 2016, 03:40:59 pm
I am thinking he thought it would be great to play with his childhood friend and his dad's bosses team (Watkins and Anderson). Then once he got there he figured out they do not know what the heck they are doing.
Not exactly a difficult conclusion for him to reach.

ATU HOG

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 30, 2016, 03:52:53 pm
How many Mid Majors made it to the Sweet 16 in this down year for college basketball?
Why is it a down year in college basketball?  Because there's not 1 or 2 dominant teams with outstanding records?  I see it as a competitive year of basketball.  Even though there wasn't a a mid major make a run this year, it doesn't discount the fact that the gap between the #1 team in the nation and other collegiate basketball programs has closed some.

PonderinHog

Speaking of one-and-dones, I'd take one about right now.   And I mean a real one! ::)

We don't need any more of these one and gones!

songofthesword

Talent does does not equate production . Kansas is losing a gfuy that played 6 minutes  a game..And will be a first roh d draft pick 

Melo tremble is a great player, can shoot, was a top 40 player coming into collrge, and will play in the nba   nut would t be a first rounder. 15 ppg 5 apg

Dejonte Murry  is the starting sg for the Huskies. True freshman 16 a game 4 rpg 4 apg 

He's  to be a top ten pick, and his team did not make the tourney 

But, he's 6-5 am elite athlete, and they feel they can move him to point because of the way he handles the ball

MountieDawg

N Carolina has the most talented team this year and will likely win the NCAAT...
SEC!

hogwood

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 03, 2016, 08:48:17 am
N Carolina has the most talented team this year and will likely win the NCAAT...

And no one and dones.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogwood on April 03, 2016, 11:18:30 am
And no one and dones.

And this was part of why I asked the question.

I think it may be better to bring in guys that can contribute a little as Freshmen, contribute a lot as Sophomores,  and be darn good players as Juniors, if not stars.

This gives you 3-4 years of a player you can win with.
JUCOs, transfer graduates, etc can provide immediate aid, if they're good enough, but you can't constantly build around that.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

songofthesword

For all the talk about calling and his recruiting, it took him getting not only  the first pick of the draft, a first team all nba top 5 player  on the nba to win.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 03, 2016, 08:48:17 am

So how'd that work out?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

songofthesword

let me finish my thought.

there have only been 2 one and done's to actually WIN a title. 1. Anthony Davis 2. Carmelo Anthony. Both are first type all nba / top 5 players in the association in their prime type players. not just one and dones. these are guys that can step on an nba floor at 20 years old and put up 20 points and 10 rebounds in a game not guys who are good enough to get drafted.
[

Cal, had not only the rookie of the year this year on his team, he had the guy that is going to come in 2nd lol (booker). Booker, who is avg 22 points a game since the all star break and who is the only rookie to ever have 5 30 point games in a season and KAT who right now is honestly, probably a top 10 polayer in the league.. at 20... i'd only put Demarcus Cousins over him as a big man.. and if there was an entire redraft of the NBA right now, KAT would go no lower than 3rd overall...  could not even make the FINALS with this team.

Inhogswetrust

April 05, 2016, 07:29:27 am #61 Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:42:39 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: songofthesword on April 05, 2016, 07:24:54 am
let me finish my thought.

there have only been 2 one and done's to actually WIN a title. 1. Anthony Davis 2. Carmelo Anthony. Both are first type all nba / top 5 players in the association in their prime type players. not just one and dones. these are guys that can step on an nba floor at 20 years old and put up 20 points and 10 rebounds in a game not guys who are good enough to get drafted.
[

Cal, had not only the rookie of the year this year on his team, he had the guy that is going to come in 2nd lol (booker). Booker, who is avg 22 points a game since the all star break and who is the only rookie to ever have 5 30 point games in a season and KAT who right now is honestly, probably a top 10 polayer in the league.. at 20... i'd only put Demarcus Cousins over him as a big man.. and if there was an entire redraft of the NBA right now, KAT would go no lower than 3rd overall...  could not even make the FINALS with this team.

What? Being a one and done has nothing to do with how successful a college player is IN the pros, it only matters that they declare for the pros and loose their college eligibility....................Your premise is a whole different subject and that is SHOULD players declare for the draft and loose their eligibility based on how the success rate playing in the pros is not that great.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

songofthesword

what are you talking about lol?   

my "premise" is quite simple; players who play for one year and are not franchise level talents in the nba do not move a college program forward in any way.  They don't make your team any better, they don't take you any further in the NCAA's o;r even get you to the NCAA's in some cases and then you have to replace them all over again the following year.

the only time it has worked in the past is when a one and done player's talent is so good that they their talent can cover up all the lack of experience deficiencies. i.e Anthony Davis, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Love, Karl-anthony Towns, Derrick Rose.

My "primise" is that

D'Angelo Russell (round of 32)
Stanley Johnson (elite 8)
Myles Turner (round of 64)
Kelly Oubre (sweet 16)
Rashad Vaughn (no NIT or NCAA)
Chris McCullough (postseason ban, would have been an NIT team anyway)
Kevon Looney (sweet 16)

Andrew Wiggins (round of 32)
Jabari Parker (round of 32)
Joel Embiid (round of 32)
Aaron Gordon (elite 8)
Noah Vonleh  (no postseason)
Zach LaVine (sweet 16)
Tyler Ennis (Sweet 16)

all of the one and done's that were drafted in the first round the last 2 years with the exception of duke last year because their entire team was just about one and dones and kentucky whose entire team is always one and dones so that's not really a fair comparison,l didn't make their teams any better than they were goping to be already for the most part.  Arizona 2014 and 2015 was [CENSORED] stacked and basically just plugged in a new small forward both years. Andrew wiggins, the "best prospect since lebron james" couldn't get his team to the [CENSORED] sweet 16 lol.
[

we don't need "one and dones". we need 1. consistent recruiting classes 2. players who aren't going to leave because they can make 25k a year playing in shitstain

MountieDawg

If all the ONE and DONES are not on the same team it is impossible for them to all take their team to a NCAA Championship! 
SEC!

MountieDawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 05, 2016, 07:12:11 am
So how'd that work out?

Its a tournament, Syracuse sucked most of the year and they got to the Final Four!  If it was like football and only the Top 4 teams were invited Syracuse or Villanova would not have been invited.   Just because you win the NCAAT does not mean you have the best team it means you won the tournament and are that years National Champion.  One bad shooting night, one bad defensive night or the other team plays the game of their life... You can lose.  Villanova was great and deserved the win.  If the NCAAT was like the NBA and you played a few best of 5 series and best of 7 series the teams with the most talent would win most times.   

I am glad they don't and I love the NCAAT, I didn't want to watch the game last night but so glad I did.  It was one of the best games and greatest finishes in a Championship game!
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

McD AA level players are needed.  Not necessarily one and dones although a program shouldn't shy away from the occasional one.  I do believe there is a way they have to be handled and Cal and Coach K do a good job of it.  I don't know if our staff could.

But back to the McD AA level players:

http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012915aab.html

The Wildcats' roster has featured at least one McDonald's All-American in every season since 2002, the second campaign in the head coaching tenure of Jay Wright.

UNC is loaded with them.

Of course, our biggest and most recent success came with one. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 05, 2016, 09:18:27 am
McD AA level players are needed.  Not necessarily one and dones although a program shouldn't shy away from the occasional one.  I do believe there is a way they have to be handled and Cal and Coach K do a good job of it.  I don't know if our staff could.

There have been just two teams over the past 36 years that have won a national championship without a McDonald's All-American (Maryland - '02 and UConn - '14).

This ESPN article from 2011 has some good stats as well: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6108561

QuoteIf a college coach were to sign eight or more McDonald's participants in his career, he would have a 73 percent chance at winning the national championship. Since 1990, 15 coaches reached the magic number eight and 11 of them won national titles.

QuoteSince 1990, 31 coaches signed five or more McDonald's All-Americans, which in itself is an impressive statistic. However, of those 31 coaches, 15 won national championships. Basically, half the guys collected the talent; the other half haven't been able to cash in on it yet. This group of coaches is responsible for producing the last 20 national titles.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 05, 2016, 03:28:48 pm
There have been just two teams over the past 36 years that have won a national championship without a McDonald's All-American (Maryland - '02 and UConn - '14).

This ESPN article from 2011 has some good stats as well: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6108561

It goes to the program ceiling discussion.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.