Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I believe they should go back to 15 Scholarships

Started by jdunhog, March 19, 2016, 09:07:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunhog

Would give college more opportunity to use red shirt to develop players that need it.

1highhog

Quote from: jdunhog on March 19, 2016, 09:07:59 am
Would give college more opportunity to use red shirt to develop players that need it.

Why, does Kentucky now need 15 one and dones?

HOGINTENNESSEE

The way recruit that would mean the less good players we got

maxhog5

Not happening and not a good idea.  You're pulling a 150 to 200 kids off the floor for mid-majors and sticking them at the end of the bench for the power conferences and teams.  That is why they cut scholarships to start with.

jgphillips3

Nolan's style worked best when we had 15 scholarship bodies but I don't think we'll ever go back due to the parity it has created.  What I wish we would do is two things. 

One, if we are going to leave the one and done rule in place, then penalize teams that recruit them by saying scholarships are a two year commitment so if you get a one and done and he does bolt then you lose his scholarship for a year.  This would end Kentucky's factory and would make one and done's a risk/reward analysis and spread their availability out to other teams.

Two, if you go through player loss for any other reason than one and done and play a season without 13 scholarship players, you can bank that scholarship and use it another year.  This would give programs in coaching transitions some flexibility in transfer situations and reward teams that suffer through seasons with 10 scholarship players a season where they have an equal and opposite level of advantage the next go around.  Yeah, it probably would never fly but I would like the idea of banking scholarships when you have so few to begin with.

We could stock our roster with the graduates of NAIA schools.

hobhog

Wouldn't help MA. He doesn't appear to be able to keep a full roster with 12.

ChicoHog

Thank Title IX for that.  Women get 15 and can't even find enough decent players that they have to practice against men most of the time (who are not on scholarship). 

Paul

Quote from: hobhog on March 19, 2016, 07:24:29 pm
Wouldn't help MA. He doesn't appear to be able to keep a full roster with 12.
Tru dat

HamSammich

You want to know a real darn hot take???

A REAL DARN HOT TAKE?

Arkansas basketball should require all freshmen to redshirt ....... what it would hurt our recruiting? lol

We would be a gonzaga and wichita state with  seniors every year.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: maxhog5 on March 19, 2016, 10:52:08 am
Not happening and not a good idea.  You're pulling a 150 to 200 kids off the floor for mid-majors and sticking them at the end of the bench for the power conferences and teams.  That is why they cut scholarships to start with.

Title 9 might have had something to do with it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MountieDawg

Quote from: maxhog5 on March 19, 2016, 10:52:08 am

The real reason is Title 9.
SEC!

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 20, 2016, 02:35:52 pm

The obvious solution is women's football. What? They want equality , don't they?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 20, 2016, 02:35:52 pm

Another example of an attempt to make an inherently uneven situation even.
Should it be number of sports or players?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on March 23, 2016, 09:22:15 am
The obvious solution is women's football. What? They want equality , don't they?
Football should be excluded from title IX as there is no women's football.  I don't care if they give equal number of scholarships to women's golf, soccer, swimming, basketball, etc., but it really is not right that many men's sports get eliminated because of Title IX.  If there is women's soccer then there should be men's soccer and same with swimming, golf, volleyball,  gymnastics etc., 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 23, 2016, 08:46:48 pm
Football should be excluded from title IX as there is no women's football.  I don't care if they give equal number of scholarships to women's golf, soccer, swimming, basketball, etc., but it really is not right that many men's sports get eliminated because of Title IX.  If there is women's soccer then there should be men's soccer and same with swimming, golf, volleyball,  gymnastics etc., 

This makes too much sense, but it doesn't fit current political agenda.

Therefore,  it doesn't stand a chance unless cultural winds change.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

tomw

HOGINTENNESSEE

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:

Doug

Please, do your research before posting silly stuff like this.

Quote from: ChicoHog
If there is women's soccer then there should be men's
> soccer - 205 DI programs offer this.
> swimming - 194 DI Programs offer this.
> golf - Approximately 300 DI programs offer this (WGOLF gets more schollies, though)
> volleyball - 48 DI and DII schools.
> gymnastics - 15 DI schools (7 of them are B1G).
Let's also not forget that Volleyball is actually two segments. Standard and Beach (or Sand).
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

ChicoHog

Quote from: Doug on March 27, 2016, 07:30:13 am
Please, do your research before posting silly stuff like this.
Let's also not forget that Volleyball is actually two segments. Standard and Beach (or Sand).
Doug-there is no doubt I did not do any research.  What I should have clarified is that for D1 programs with football (FBS schools) the womens sports greatly out number the men and the scholarships are unbalanced towards women because of football.  My point is football should be excluded then everything else can be balanced.  Just my opinion. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 27, 2016, 09:11:25 am
Doug-there is no doubt I did not do any research.  What I should have clarified is that for D1 programs with football (FBS schools) the womens sports greatly out number the men and the scholarships are unbalanced towards women because of football.  My point is football should be excluded then everything else can be balanced.  Just my opinion. 

I could be wrong, but I think you drove by his "sarcasm'' sign at 120mph and completely missed it.
His response to me:

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 23, 2016, 08:46:48 pm

Politics triumphs over reason, even in sports.

ChicoHog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on March 27, 2016, 01:45:24 pm
I could be wrong, but I think you drove by his "sarcasm'' sign at 120mph and completely missed it.
probably!

HotlantaHog

If you allow extra scholarships, take some away for kids who leave early. If you have kids who are one and done after their freshman year, then the scholarship can't be renewed until three years later when their eligibility would have run out.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on March 23, 2016, 09:22:15 am
they could do it. as good as women's MMA has turned out to be, i bet football would be watchable in a few seasons.
If they lowered the rim by 6-8", women's basketball would be right there on par with the men. And before people cry foul, they let them have a smaller ball so why not? It would help their game soooo much.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 07, 2016, 12:41:53 pm
they could do it. as good as women's MMA has turned out to be, i bet football would be watchable in a few seasons.
If they lowered the rim by 6-8", women's basketball would be right there on par with the men. And before people cry foul, they let them have a smaller ball so why not? It would help their game soooo much.

Instead of women's football, why not start a complete MMA woman's league with the full array of weight classes?  There's a chance for pro later, and that would be quite a few women to balance the numbers.  I'm guessing it would actually pay for itself and have good popularity.
His response to me:

Pork Twain

Plot twist: our coaches could do a better job recruiting and keeping the players they get.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

chenalhog

Quote from: jdunhog on March 19, 2016, 09:07:59 am
Hell! wouldn't do us any good. We can't keep more then 11 on scholarship