Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tournament Possibilities

Started by lynbug, February 24, 2016, 11:41:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

Obviously we have to win out (including SEC Tourney) to get an at large bid for NCAA but.....what about the NIT? I know that most of you aren't in love with the NIT but considering this year's ups and downs I would consider it a positive to get more games post season.  What do you think?

HoopS

lynbug

Quote from: HoopS on February 24, 2016, 11:48:16 am
Current BPI is 64

I just checked both bracketologies.  NCAA has 3 SEC teams in and NIT has 6 in (including LSU, lol).  Arkansas was mentioned as being "also considered".  But it was probably released before last night's results.  We just have to keep playing like we have the last two games (which it not likely on the road).

HoopS

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: lynbug on February 24, 2016, 11:41:54 am
Obviously we have to win out (including SEC Tourney) to get an at large bid for NCAA but.....what about the NIT? I know that most of you aren't in love with the NIT but considering this year's ups and downs I would consider it a positive to get more games post season.  What do you think?

I think that I don't want to think about post season possibilities until we finish this 2 game road trip.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

netteltonhog

I think we get in. The SEC tourney that is.

rude1

I think sometimes we never learn. We beat a decent team at home and because of the excitement we suddenly allow ourselves to dream of the possibilities until we go back on the road and see all the dreams come crashing down again, driving home the fact we are an atrocious road team who has only won ONE road game against lowly MO.

HoopS

It is definitely easier to just wait on the results but what's the fun in that. May as well enjoy the moment and hope that a corner was turned. If it wasn't, then oh well. But I get it.

I'm kind of in the middle. Want to look at the possibilities but know we go to Knoxville Sat and then Tuscaloosa.

Razorod

First step would have to be taking 2 of our 3 final regular season games. That would at least put us on the plus side of .500 at 16-15. I'd assume we might then need two SEC tourney wins before losing. That would put us at 18-16. Don't know about BPI or RPI at that point.

Don't see us running the table on the regular season nor getting to the SEC championship game. Semis are possible, we could do what Auburn did last year.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

lynbug

Quote from: HoopS on February 24, 2016, 12:34:36 pm
It is definitely easier to just wait on the results but what's the fun in that. May as well enjoy the moment and hope that a corner was turned. If it wasn't, then oh well. But I get it.

I'm kind of in the middle. Want to look at the possibilities but know we go to Knoxville Sat and then Tuscaloosa.

I agree that the excitement will probably only last 3 days, but it doesn't hurt to dream.  But it will just make me even madder if they go to Tenn. and the confused, disoriented team shows up.  But I was happy to see MA have an inspirational talk with someone (Kingsley) at halftime last night.

Uncommon

We've got work to do but got a good start by beating LSU.  A website that I use when looking at NCAA Tournament and therefore NIT bids is Dance Card.  These are their rankings through this past Sunday's games - http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm

So if you go down the list from the bubble bursting and skipping over teams in bold since they are currently conference leaders therefore automatic bids, this would be the seeding for the NIT:
1 seeds
George Washington
Washington
Michigan
Butler

2 seeds
UCLA
Stanford
Saint Mary's
Ohio State

3 seeds
Vanderbilt
Princeton
Georgia Tech
Clemson

4 seeds
LSU
Kansas State
Davidson
Hofstra

5 seeds
Florida State
South Dakota State
Creighton
Georgetown

6 seeds
Houston
Georgia
Ohio
Arizona State

7 seeds
Evansville
James Madison
UC Irvine
BYU

8 seeds
William & Mary
Marquette
Grand Canyon
Virginia Tech

Teams on the outside looking in (in order)
1 Boise State
2 Ole Miss
3 Northern Iowa
4 Middle Tennessee
5 Kent State
6 NC State
7 Fresno State
8 Tennessee
9 Penn State
10 Siena
11 Albany
12 UC Santa Barbara
13 Richmond
14 Arkansas

Like I said, we got a good start by beating LSU, need to finish strong, and hope those above us lose.  Reminder that these rankings are through Sunday and aren't the current rankings.  They will probably be updated tomorrow.

Uncommon

Numbers got updated this morning and we've moved up 7 spots from the 14th team on the outside looking in to the 7th team on the outside looking in.

phadedhawg

Little Rock has a decent shot at getting in.  It will be nice to have at least on representative from Arkansas.

maxhog5

As Sun Belt champion, UALR is a lock for the NIT if they do not get into the NCAA.

BRHogfan

Man, UCLA is 15-13 and 6-9 in the PAC whatever standings...  Their head coach has only taken them to two sweet 16s in his first two years.

They are supposed to be winning 10 championships in 12 years.  Time to fire the guy.

The_Iceman

February 26, 2016, 08:27:01 am #15 Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:39:59 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: BRHogfan on February 26, 2016, 08:23:54 am
Man, UCLA is 15-13 and 6-9 in the PAC whatever standings...  Their head coach has only taken them to two sweet 16s in his first two years.

They are supposed to be winning 10 championships in 12 years.  Time to fire the guy.

Ignorant post. If Mike had gone to back to back Sweet 16's, fans would be more willing to give him a year like this year. Alford is returning all but one player from his team next season, and is bringing in a Top 10 class with two 5-stars and two 4-stars, which include the Top 3 players from California.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 26, 2016, 08:27:01 am
Ignorant post. If Mike had gone to back to back Sweet 16's, fans would be more willing to give him a year like this year. Alford is returning all but one player from his team next season, and is bringing in a Top 10 class with two 5-stars and two 4-stars, which include the Top 3 players from California.

Not to take anything away from Alford, but that also shows what you can do when you take over a program that is run right.

WooPig90

Quote from: maxhog5 on February 26, 2016, 02:23:18 am
As Sun Belt champion, UALR is a lock for the NIT if they do not get into the NCAA.

Umm if they win the Sun Belt you do know that they are a lock for the NCAA tourny right?

BRHogfan

I didn't mean to hijack this post about tournament possibilities.  It just a name like UCLA jumps out at you in the NIT considerations.  I always feel like some fans try to compare us to these programs, and maybe if you look lifetime at a program we can be compared because we're both top 25 in the fullness of time programs, but lately there isn't much comparison.

Please. It's obviously sarcasm, but you can't deny that deny that other programs are struggling to make the dance.  Not everyone can be a basketball machine, even if you're one of the winningest programs in NCAA history. 

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on February 26, 2016, 08:42:18 am
Not to take anything away from Alford, but that also shows what you can do when you take over a program that is run right.

Everyone goes back to the 2-14 number, but it definitely goes back further than that.

Since we fired Nolan, we've had 3 head coaches, 251 wins, and 4 NCAA Tournament births.

UCLA had one season of Lavin, 2 other coaches, 309 wins, and 9 NCAA Tournament births (3 Final Fours and a runner up by Ben Howland, the guy who decimated us in Starkville this season).

It would be ludicrous to suggest firing Alford at this point, the same way I think it's ludicrous to suggest firing CMA right now. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 26, 2016, 09:49:09 am
Umm if they win the Sun Belt you do know that they are a lock for the NCAA tourny right?
They have to win the tournament to be a lock for the Big Dance.  Regular season champ is guaranteed an NIT berth.

WooPig90

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 26, 2016, 10:15:48 am
They have to win the tournament to be a lock for the Big Dance.  Regular season champ is guaranteed an NIT berth.

Thats what I thought he was referring to

BRHogfan

This is correct. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Invitation_Tournament

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2006 tournament. The main highlights are:

Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records to receive bids. Even with this change, however, all teams receiving invitations for the NIT have had .500 or greater records.
Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.

Danny J

Wouldn't surprise me to see us finish the season 1-3 with the one win possibly against USCe. I have already prepared myself for it. Already looking ahead to next year

MICHAELSPAPPY

Little Rock has to win the tournament to be a lock for the Big Dance.  Regular season champ is guaranteed an NIT berth.

At the moment the Trojans are three games up with three games to go. Any combination of a win by them or a loss by Monroe in the last three games gives them the outright regular season championship and guarantees the NIT spot.

No guarantee on the NCAA spot unless they win the tournament, of course, but they are getting mentions in the Bubble Watch speculations, so there is an outside chance they might get an at-large if they win out to the SBC finals, but lose there. Things would have to break just right.

Opponents are shooting only 37.8% overall against them, and 30.6% from the arc.

TNhawgfan

We don't deserve an NIT bid, but how the crap is TN ahead of us on the teams looking in list? They also have done nothing away from home, they have a worse league record, and (before Saturday) lost the head to head with us. They shouldn't be anywhere near NIT consideration
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Uncommon

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 26, 2016, 11:04:39 am
We don't deserve an NIT bid, but how the crap is TN ahead of us on the teams looking in list? They also have done nothing away from home, they have a worse league record, and (before Saturday) lost the head to head with us. They shouldn't be anywhere near NIT consideration
They aren't any more.  That was the list through Sunday's games.  Here's the new list of teams on the outside looking in through Wednesday's games:
1 Northern Iowa
2 Ole Miss
3 Ohio
4 Middle Tennessee
5 Fresno State
6 Albany
7 Arkansas
8 Illinois State
9 NC State
10 Tennessee

TheRazorback500

We'll lose both road games, eke out a close one against SC, win one and lose one at the SEC tourney.

16-17. No tournament.

:razorback:
Do you wanna get Rocked?

lynbug

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on February 26, 2016, 03:16:48 pm
We'll lose both road games, eke out a close one against SC, win one and lose one at the SEC tourney.

16-17. No tournament.

Well, since I stated this thread I guess it's time to weigh in again.  Several weeks ago I asked the question, "has there been another major college who has experienced a similar drop off in their basketball program as we have."  Someone kindly posted that something similar had happened to Michigan, although for not as prolonged period of time.  I can only speak for myself but I'm sure other fans (posters) my age who watched or listened to every game 1978-2001 might feel similar. Razorback basketball was one of the main pastimes I enjoyed (although I like all sports).  All spring and summer I tried to find out all the info I could on upcoming recruits, when practice starts, etc.  All winter I was watching (listening) every game and then March arrives....and we're wondering how we will be seated.  A 20-year habit is very hard to break. I know so many things have changed about recruiting, rules, early departures, etc. But....I still am searching for an answer as to why it is taking so darn long to just become relevant consistently. Are we just unlucky?  Is this the result of moving to the SEC?  I think if I could get my mind straight about why I could better deal with the roller coaster ride (without feeling ill).  Again, just venting--hope I didn't offend anyone.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: lynbug on February 26, 2016, 03:46:42 pm
Well, since I stated this thread I guess it's time to weigh in again.  Several weeks ago I asked the question, "has there been another major college who has experienced a similar drop off in their basketball program as we have."  Someone kindly posted that something similar had happened to Michigan, although for not as prolonged period of time.  I can only speak for myself but I'm sure other fans (posters) my age who watched or listened to every game 1978-2001 might feel similar. Razorback basketball was one of the main pastimes I enjoyed (although I like all sports).  All spring and summer I tried to find out all the info I could on upcoming recruits, when practice starts, etc.  All winter I was watching (listening) every game and then March arrives....and we're wondering how we will be seated.  A 20-year habit is very hard to break. I know so many things have changed about recruiting, rules, early departures, etc. But....I still am searching for an answer as to why it is taking so darn long to just become relevant consistently. Are we just unlucky?  Is this the result of moving to the SEC?  I think if I could get my mind straight about why I could better deal with the roller coaster ride (without feeling ill).  Again, just venting--hope I didn't offend anyone.
Vent on. I feel your pain. I've followed Hog bball since van Eman. We've just been through a long stretch of bad decisions, questionable calls, and just bad luck. Last season brought a taste of the old feeling back, but drawing North Carolina screwed that up. Now we're suffering through a down year and the natives are restless. I hope for CMA's sake he can get things rolling next year.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

TheRazorback500

Oops.

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on February 26, 2016, 03:16:48 pm

16-17. No tournament.

Do you wanna get Rocked?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: netteltonhog on February 24, 2016, 12:12:51 pm
I think we get in. The SEC tourney that is.

How about that automatic birth into the SEC tourney...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgnCorona

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on February 26, 2016, 05:01:40 pm
Vent on. I feel your pain. I've followed Hog bball since van Eman. We've just been through a long stretch of bad decisions, questionable calls, and just bad luck. Last season brought a taste of the old feeling back, but drawing North Carolina screwed that up. Now we're suffering through a down year and the natives are restless. I hope for CMA's sake he can get things rolling next year.

Yeah they are restless aren't they. But those who are most restless are ones(IMO) are those ones who only at W/L. We all know what the chain of events post last and prior too this current one. A team that on paper looks less than a 15-14 team.
Considering this other things this team has done ok. They have embarrested themselves too much.

So next year is very promising...I'm looking forward to it. Especially with new players coming in vs those that are leaving. Plus CMA has shown he knows how to develop his players.

So I'm encouraged...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

1highhog

No way can we make the NCAA, we'd have to win two more regular season games and at least go to the semifinals to have at least a 50-50 shot at the NIT.

Randy Johnson

Quote from: 1highhog on February 28, 2016, 01:29:26 am
No way can we make the NCAA, we'd have to win two more regular season games and at least go to the semifinals to have at least a 50-50 shot at the NIT.

Way: Win the SEC  TOURN....

so you can't say there is no way. Well you can but it is wrong.
This team can beat anyone. Trouble is they can also loose to anyone. They
look to me like they want to play some post season.
I predict we do win the tournament this year.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Randy Johnson on February 28, 2016, 06:22:16 am

I'll be amazed if we're still playing on Saturday

1highhog

We won't be winning any SEC Tounament, sorry Charlie.  And yes, this team can (lose) to anyone as they've shown, and no, they can't beat everyone out there.  I like them to because I'm a fan but I can be reasonable as well, we're short handed this season which means we won't do well come any tournament.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: 1highhog on February 28, 2016, 01:29:26 am

so your saying we win our final 2 regular season games and win 2 in sect we will only be 50/50?.....

I'd contend at 19-14 on a 7 game streak, we'd be one victory away from the ncaa's and a lock for the nit.....

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: 1highhog on February 28, 2016, 09:38:19 am
We won't be winning any SEC Tounament, sorry Charlie.  And yes, this team can (lose) to anyone as they've shown, and no, they can't beat everyone out there.  I like them to because I'm a fan but I can be reasonable as well, we're short handed this season which means we won't do well come any tournament.
We beat the #5 team in the nation, but I know, I know, the sun was in their eyes.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 1highhog on February 28, 2016, 09:38:19 am

They can beat anyone in this conference. Is it too late to get the SEC tourney moved to Bud?

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 28, 2016, 12:26:01 pm
They can beat anyone in this conference. Is it too late to get the SEC tourney moved to Bud?
I'd settle for it being moved to Thompson-Boling if the Bud is booked at that time.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: BBsTheMan on February 28, 2016, 12:29:04 pm
I'd settle for it being moved to Thompson-Boling if the Bud is booked at that time.
We're something like 3-11 in that building since joining the conference. Might as well say you want to play at Florida

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 28, 2016, 01:47:47 pm
We're something like 3-11 in that building since joining the conference. Might as well say you want to play at Florida
We have won there this year, that has to mean something. Can't say that about many arenas, although there may be a correlation with the team lol.

ShadowHawg

Yep. He only had the best season in 2 decades just last season. I can see why you are so frustrated.

HogBreath

Good point...this team is a lot better when they play loose.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HawgnCorona

Back to back sweet 16 during his first 4yrs ( this being his 5th) is a bit of an unfair expection, IMO. Consider what we had as team his first yrs. Not mention learning a new system, so the players had to develop and adjust to a new system. Certainly one can argument that we could have made it to the sweet 16 last year. After, this past off season, all bets are off table.

Now to the other posters point regarding UCLA. His point was really sarcasm...however, UCLA should be doing a lot better than there record indicates. There is a hotbed of talent here. Case in point. Lonzo Ball, one 4 brothers on the Chino Hills High team is #1 in country right now and undefeated. Keep in mine UCLA history. So they should be recruiting lights out because of who they are.

UCLA could be doing more year in and year out but they aren't. So let's  see what they do next year. With all that talent, It should high expections.

Uncommon

Numbers have been updated for the NIT through Sunday's games.  We have moved up to the 2nd team on the outside looking in after Saturday's win over Tennessee.

Uncommon

Numbers have been updated through Monday's games and just realized Grand Canyon is ineligible for postseason play due to recent move to Division I so Arkansas is actually the #1 team on the outside looking in for the NIT right now.

BRHogfan

Quote from: Uncommon on March 01, 2016, 03:24:44 pm
Numbers have been updated through Monday's games and just realized Grand Canyon is ineligible for postseason play due to recent move to Division I so Arkansas is actually the #1 team on the outside looking in for the NIT right now.

Thanks for the updates.

Uncommon

March 03, 2016, 10:07:43 am #48 Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:27:49 am by Uncommon
Update

Arkansas is currently projected as an 8 seed in the NIT assuming current conference regular season leaders win their conference tournaments.  Really need to win South Carolina and at least win 1 SEC Tournament game to safely secure a bid.

JackMcQueen

Quote from: Uncommon on March 03, 2016, 10:07:43 am
Really need to win South Carolina and at least 1 SEC Tournament game to safely secure a bid.
If the conference tournament started today we'd need that SC badly, because as of right now our second game in Nashville would be versus Kentucky. :puke:
2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!