Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin just destroyed all you fake fans

Started by grumpypenguin, September 24, 2013, 01:05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Anderson

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 24, 2013, 03:16:17 pm
You paid just as much or more than they did....

If they disagree, screw em. Last time I listened to some jabroni trying to tell me what to do in a football game was never.

I smell what you're cookin'.

ricepig

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 24, 2013, 03:10:18 pm
Something like that...

Midway through the third quarter I was pretty sure the drunk coon ass behind us was getting out spices and a knife to turn us into a stew...

Are they completely bat $hit? Absolutely.... but that atmosphere is second to none if you are the home team

I'm guessing you and Mike missed watching their game with Auburn Sat night, the stadium was half empty after halftime, yes it had been raining, or heavy dew as Lester put it, but they did clear out fast. And Auburn did make it a two score game in the 4th.  I will agree we don't have that atmosphere, but I've seen/felt it really loud in RRS many times.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:21:17 pm
If Mike wants to call out people, it needs to be those that have been bashing Derby all week, talking about how bad he is, or those that after FOUR WHOLE GAMES have concluded that CBB cant get it done here.

not really necessary... it seems most fans are rational and football intelligent. the irrational unrealistic drama queen fans seem to be isolated to hogville so it is safe to assume the idiocy you read on this forum is limited to just this fourm. i consider myself a promoter of this website because every time i hear a hog fan say something retarded i tell them they should come here and create an account as they would fit in perfectly.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:52:09 pm
whats funny is some people ACTUALLY BELIEVE that is what they are doing by yelling at the refs or screaming at the coaches what play they SHOULD have called.

And people yell at their TVs when they watch games.

It doesn't have to be logical, Spock.

Go away, batin'

ricepig

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 24, 2013, 03:23:28 pm
And people yell at their TVs when they watch games.

It doesn't have to be logical, Spock.

I'll confess to yelling at the TV, did it countless times last Sat? Most were of the WTH category.

Pyrotechnician

I dont think Mike is trying to make anyone mad, I think he is just trying to get the Razorback fans in a rabid mood for Johnny and the boys....and the truth is, the louder the stadium is on saturday the harder it will be for Johnny and crew to get the right plays called, the right personnel on the field and get the ball snapped without the play clock expiring or committing pre snap infractions....false starts, improper alignments and such.  long story short, make it hard for their team to communicate.
SEC Referees Oath concerning the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I swear to throw the flag...the whole flag and nothing but the flag so help me Mike Slive!

Pyrotechnician

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2013, 03:25:05 pm
I'll confess to yelling at the TV, did it countless times last Sat? Most were of the WTH category.

Ha ha, yeah I know the feeling.  You get so upset you want to run thru a wall....only problem is if you try that you end up with a headache to boot.. ;D

I swear to throw the flag...the whole flag and nothing but the flag so help me Mike Slive!

hogsanity

If they disagree, screw em. Last time I listened to some jabroni trying to tell me what to do in a football game was never.

and it is just as likely they paid just as much or more than you or him so if you disagree with them, scre you.  See it works both ways.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on September 24, 2013, 03:28:36 pm
Ha ha, yeah I know the feeling.  You get so upset you want to run thru a wall....only problem is if you try that you end up with a headache to boot.. ;D

No.... Cosmo really could run through a wall..

Pyrotechnician

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 24, 2013, 03:30:08 pm

Well, I feel sorry for the wall then...lol

ricepig

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on September 24, 2013, 03:28:36 pm

Not if you have had just the right amount of elixir.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 03:29:08 pm
and it is just as likely they paid just as much or more than you or him so if you disagree with them, scre you.  See it works both ways.

Great. Last time I checked the DWRRS stadium rule book says nothing about standing the entire game, yelling too loud, or booing.

Guess he can do what he wants, and I can do what I want. See how that works?

cosmodrum

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 24, 2013, 03:30:08 pm

Well, I'd fall through the wall on game day...
Go away, batin'

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 24, 2013, 03:33:07 pm
Well, I'd fall through the wall on game day...

Just throw me though it first. I promise I wont feel a thing.

cosmodrum

I'm gonna be hopped up on NY Diesel and gristle lumps for the aTm game.

Might be some problems.
Go away, batin'

hogsanity

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 24, 2013, 03:32:18 pm
Great. Last time I checked the DWRRS stadium rule book says nothing about standing the entire game, yelling too loud, or booing.

Guess he can do what he wants, and I can do what I want. See how that works?

Then why say "screw em". I can handle the constant cursing, the know it all, but I really do have a problem with those that STAND in front of others so they can't see.  Standing does not make you Joe Super fan. And beofre anyone says anything, i am perfectly capable of standing for that amount of time, When I umpire I might be on my feet for 6 or 7 hrs straight, I just see no need to do that a a football game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

El Puerco

Several times, I've witnessed folks complain to the ushers.  The ushers admonish the noisemakers

every
single
time

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 03:38:54 pm
Then why say "screw em". I can handle the constant cursing, the know it all, but I really do have a problem with those that STAND in front of others so they can't see.  Standing does not make you Joe Super fan. And beofre anyone says anything, i am perfectly capable of standing for that amount of time, When I umpire I might be on my feet for 6 or 7 hrs straight, I just see no need to do that a a football game.

And I guess thats what makes things different here.

I cannot remember sitting down a single time @ LSU

I was in the 3rd row. The reason I was standing?

Because every single person in the place was, and I wanted to see.

gchamblee

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 24, 2013, 02:37:27 pm

I haven't been in the press box for years. I'm either on the field or on the photo deck shooting. If it's raining I get wet just like anybody in the stands. When it was 95 for the season opener I was out there in the heat.

It is my job to be there and I have to be there or I don't get paid but I don't leave because the weather is hot or cold or its raining or because of a lightning delay.

You can reject the message. You can shoot the messenger but the truth is the truth. A sizeable number of Razorback fans in NWA are affected by weather both at RRS and Baum Stadium.

There is also a greater percentage of politically correct fans at RRS as opposed to WMS.
At the 2010 Alabama game a fan I know stood up to boo 'Bama as they came onto the field. He was told by several people around him to sit down and act like he had some manners. I have heard countless stories like this over the years and I have witnessed some similar incidents.

Michael Smith related this from the 2009 LSU game. LSU won a close game in OT. Their fans were still ticked off about the upset from 2008 in LR. Several of their fans confronted the players on the way to the bus after the game. They wanted to fight Arkansas players. It took some cops to separate them from Arkansas players.

Once on the bus an O-Lineman threw his backpack against a window almost breaking it. The other players assumed he was mad about the LSU fans until he said, WHY CAN'T WE HAVE FANS LIKE THAT? THEY WERE WILLING TO FIGHT US FOR THEIR TEAM. THEY WEREN'T SCARED OF US.

I'm not telling any of you what to do. You can buy tickets and sit at home if it rains or if it's hot. You can get mad and complain if the guy in front of you stands up. That's your business. But when I hear fans complaining because Arkansas is not a top tier SEC team I'm always reminded that something like that cuts both ways.

I hope the bad weather predicted for the game doesn't happen. If it does I hope people won't stay home and watch on TV when they have tickets. If there's a rain delay I hope thousands don't go home.

We'll see what happens.

i have a lot of respect for you and admire the professional quality of your work. however, i find it irresponsible to praise fans that are wanting to do something as stupid as fight the opposing football team because they won the game. i hope my child never resorts to parking lot violence over losing a competition on the field and i can say for certain his father will never feel the need to beat the darn out of his opponent for winning a competition. i know that you werent condoning it, but you did frame it in praise. if the police have to get involved, we are doing it wrong.

i will say that the many games ive been to in fayet, there were times when i was standing and i felt a little uncomfortable because everyone around me was sitting and i dont like to be a bother to those around me. i dont choose to stand up, it just happens when i get excited and my body just reacts by standing and screaming. i do the same thing when watching on television. booing the opposing team as they take the field is not bad manners, its actually pretty impressive when everyone does it... but waiting on the team to leave the locker room to physically assault them is psychotic.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 24, 2013, 01:55:21 pm
he also misses the wild fun of being in a group of crazy fans

He didn't look like he was having too much fun with those S. Carolina fans.

Arkansas football games have been kinda blah, but the thing that really fixes that is being a dang good team and giving people a reason to be excited.  We've got a lot of really great fans, but we've also got a lot of fans who've had their hearts ripped out continously over the past 50 years.  I can understand being a tad jaded and unwilling to give 110% of your emotional energy.

I used to be one of those guys that camped out for days, partied non stop a couple days before, during, and after games.  I loved everyone, I shared with everyone, and I really enjoyed roaming tailgate to tailgate making new friends, trying different recipes, being a drunkard version of Santa Claus gifting beers to obviously parched fellow fans.

Now...   Eh, I'll just stay at home and watch all the games in the comforts of my living room and A/C.  I won't have to risk a DWI, getting into a fight, having to use a disgusting public bathroom.  However, I also won't make any new friends, or have memories of a great ballgame experience, or have a shared experience with my family members like I've had in the past.  Now that we've got kids aged 6-12 in the family I find myself really hesitant to take them into the atmosphere that a day of drinking and amped up aggression can have.  They're well adjusted and I have honest conversations with them about what goes on in the world, but I'm still not cool taking the kids into a profanity and booze filled environment that I can't control. 

Surely I'm overprotective, I just don't see how the raucous environment we'd all like to create can be achieved without the booze accelerated emotions.  The American culture is all about limitations, controlling oneself, and being humble.  Which is a great reason why alcohol is so popular and a great tool for rebellion and hell-raising.

I guess all of this is just to say, if you do go, get more involved.  Cheer louder, arrive earlier, stay longer, don't dare howl during the hog call, put on some nice pants, sneak some whiskey in, please don't throw up, get crazy, paint your face, yell so loud you're hoarse until Tuesday and try not to curse so much and be courteous to other people around you and be patient in leaving the parking areas or be willing to walk a little further. 

Older folks, it's OK if you want to sit down but dangit you better be loud and you better not leave before the end of the game.  You pay for those seats, yes, but you rob the fanbase and the team of an atmosphere they deserve.  If the team can play to the very end, you can at least wait 10 more minutes until the final gun.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

ricepig

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: cosmodrum on September 24, 2013, 03:38:20 pm
I'm gonna be hopped up on NY Diesel and gristle lumps for the aTm game.

Might be some problems.

We are tailgating this week.... correct?

bigpigonthehill

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 24, 2013, 01:22:53 pm
if ANY team should suffer the wrath of the Arkansas fans this year it is AGGY....they beat us 58-10 and was trying to score until the very end....we REALLY need this game as it would put an end to Johnny Football's legend but more importantly give our coaching staff open doors to recruiting Texas....RIGHT NOW, AS I TYPE, and into this December, there will NEVER be an easier time to get top shelf Texas High school talent...so 72,000 hillbillies who will be at the game this Saturday, remind 2013 AGGY what a terrible beating that 1975 AGGY (ranked #2 and undefeated) because of the fans and players working in concert....in other words, we need, deserve, want our "TEDDY BARNES" moment...come on Hog fans, let's turn back the hands of time

I grew up watching Teddy Barnes and Dean Barnes in Lepanto. Marked Tree threatened to break their legs because this pair was so good. Teddy went on to play running back and then flanker for the Razorbacks and caugt that pass to deflate the hopes of Texas A and M. We beat them that year which was one of the best upsets by the Razorbacks in my lifetime.
How the hell did we wind up like this? Why weren't we able to see the signs that we missed? And try to turn the tables. Nothing is wrong, just as long as you know that someday I will. Some day, Some how. Gonna make it alright but not right now. I know you're wondering when.

ricepig

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 24, 2013, 03:57:22 pm
Rutgers ... RUTGERS! ... had sweet tea, while Arkansas doesn't have any tea at all.

Pepsi??

razorbacker3

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 24, 2013, 02:22:23 pm
i try not to ever sit...i get leered at from all directions. 

not my fault.  stand up.

I got no problem with standing when the people in front of you stand. You have to stand then to see. What I don't understand is the inconsiderate a--holes that stand when NOBODY in front of them stands. They cause everyone behind them to stand so they can see and the ones behind them have to stand and so on and so on. If you want to stand the hole game STAND WHERE YOU WON'T BLOCK ANYONES VISION. If you stand just 'CAUSE I PAID FOR A TICKET AND I WILL STAND IF I WANT TO" THEN YOUR AN A--HOLE. PERIOD.

Justifiable Hogicide

LSU won a close game in OT. Their fans were still ticked off about the upset from 2008 in LR.

Several of their fans confronted the players on the way to the bus after the game. They wanted to fight Arkansas players. It took some cops to separate them from Arkansas players.

WHY CAN'T WE HAVE FANS LIKE THAT?

You must have really loved the Arkansas fans burning the Auburn van at Fayetteville.

[attachment deleted by admin]

the_kosher_pig

I've had more fun at Bearden/Junction City and Pine Bluff/Watson Chapel games than I have at RRS games in all honesty.  Until they quit having a special segment before the game and at half time of someone who baby sat Jesus, the band quit playing songs that fit the genre of the old coger they are commemerating, and the people quit sitting on their hands long enough to not just put them to sleep but actually introduce them to a coma.......I'm going to just watch at home.  I personally like the guy who won't sit down in front of you.  I personally like the drunk guy who's yelling and spilling his smuggled flask behind me.  I personally like the frat kid who's cussing in front of other people's kids.  Muthafawkin MURICA.
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

qbrew

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:11:43 pm
being in a stadium for 4 hours with some drunk behind you, or some guy griping about every play call infront of you, or some 6'5" guy standing the whole game in front of your kid can kae it the longest 3hrs of YOUR life.   

Hello there. I'm that tall guy. I certainly wouldn't mind letting your kid in front of me or doing what I can, but the people the ask me almost every damn game to sit down are not children. They are lazy. Kid or disabled, no prob. Otherwise, stay home. It's football, you stand. The things you sit are CALLED STANDS.

qbrew

Quote from: razorbacker3 on September 24, 2013, 03:59:15 pm
I got no problem with standing when the people in front of you stand. You have to stand then to see. What I don't understand is the inconsiderate a--holes that stand when NOBODY in front of them stands. They cause everyone behind them to stand so they can see and the ones behind them have to stand and so on and so on. If you want to stand the hole game STAND WHERE YOU WON'T BLOCK ANYONES VISION. If you stand just 'CAUSE I PAID FOR A TICKET AND I WILL STAND IF I WANT TO" THEN YOUR AN A--HOLE. PERIOD.

It's a gosh darn football game. If you can't stand for 3 hours, that's a problem.. It's FOOTBALL! Not to mention some of us ENJOY football and don't just go to see the players in tight pants. If you refuse to stand, stay at home or buy better tickets.

hogsanity

qbrew

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 04:08:49 pm
Why?
Because it's exciting, and fans are supposed to participate? Because it's not a movie? If you choose to sit, fine, but don't dictate whether or not I can participate the way I want to. Again, disabled, or kids, or even short sure, I'll help. 

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

(notOM)Rebel123

It's these gosh-darned Pepsi Generation kids who want to stand up at the games. Bunch of trouble-making scamps, I tell ya!

(sarcasm on...just in case)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

woodhog14

Quote from: qbrew on September 24, 2013, 04:11:37 pm
Because it's exciting, and fans are supposed to participate? Because it's not a movie? If you choose to sit, fine, but don't dictate whether or not I can participate the way I want to. Again, disabled, or kids, or even short sure, I'll help. 

THIS!!

razorbacker3

Quote from: qbrew on September 24, 2013, 04:05:47 pm
It's a gosh darn football game. If you can't stand for 3 hours, that's a problem.. It's FOOTBALL! Not to mention some of us ENJOY football and don't just go to see the players in tight pants. If you refuse to stand, stay at home or buy better tickets.
Learn to read. As I said I have no problem with standing when everyone is standing(usually do to something exciting. ) But if your standing and blocking others just because you want to, your a bad fan cause your more concerned with getting your way than being into the game . You buy a SEAT dummy, not a place to stand. You can do that in the walkways and not block others. And BTW I am disabled and have a hard time standing. When you have gone to as many games as I have and get as old as I am you might develop some class and consideration for others. Nobody gripes about standing during a exciting play, but standing the whole game is nothing more than being an A--.

trippigs

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:11:43 pm
being in a stadium for 4 hours with some drunk behind you, or some guy griping about every play call infront of you, or some 6'5" guy standing the whole game in front of your kid can kae it the longest 3hrs of YOUR life.   

Looks like I made the right call by adding you to my ignore list some time ago. Stripes don't ever really change.GO HOGS

The Marmot

Michael Smith related this from the 2009 LSU game. LSU won a close game in OT. Their fans were still ticked off about the upset from 2008 in LR. Several of their fans confronted the players on the way to the bus after the game. They wanted to fight Arkansas players. It took some cops to separate them from Arkansas players.

Once on the bus an O-Lineman threw his backpack against a window almost breaking it. The other players assumed he was mad about the LSU fans until he said, WHY CAN'T WE HAVE FANS LIKE THAT? THEY WERE WILLING TO FIGHT US FOR THEIR TEAM. THEY WEREN'T SCARED OF US.

Good God. Who wants fans like that? Or wants to be associated with that? I don't.

I'm not scared of any teams players, But I don't have to try and fight them at their bus to prove such.

What a bad example of 'fans'.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

WaltKowalski

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on September 24, 2013, 04:01:00 pm
You must have really loved the Arkansas fans burning the Auburn van at Fayetteville.

That is so awesome.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The Marmot on September 24, 2013, 04:28:11 pm
Good God. Who wants fans like that? Or wants to be associated with that? I don't.

I'm not scared of any teams players, But I don't have to try and fight them at their bus to prove such.

What a bad example of 'fans'.

Totally agree. Like I posted earlier, if Hog fans did something like that, the media would go crazy about how "classless" it was.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogsanity

Quote from: qbrew on September 24, 2013, 04:11:37 pm

But by standing in front of someone you are dictating how they can or can not participate they way they want to.  Sitting hinders no other fans, stanind though certainly does.

LA Football fan

Stay at home.  Easy fix.  No one standing in front of you and you can sit for as long as you like.  Sell your tickets to someone that is willing to get involved in the game and be the 12th man. 

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 24, 2013, 02:09:40 pm
Agreed. Fans who sit down bother me.

The problem is that we as fans still have that "Showtime" mentality of Petrino. No one gets loud when a RB gains four yards. As exciting as that was it's gone now, and driving down the field needs to pump our fans up to help demoralize the defense.

Completely agree. I'm getting a little older so I do sit in the stands more, but I do understand trying to have fans In the stands that make a difference. We need the home field advantage with the crowd being a difference maker.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

colt-45

I listened to the tail end of the radio show today and thought it was funny how they were going on about how these big time SEC teams would never do something as terrible as leaving a game early due to weather. Then the host casually brings up how empty it was after half in the LSU/AUB game monsoon rain storm. Fans leave due to terrible weather. Fans also leave when their team gets blown out or they are doing the blowing out. It happens everywhere.

Our fans aren't terrible. They might not be the best either. My guess is somewhere in the middle of the SEC. Fayetteville has a lot of seats that are purchased by corporations so there will always be some folks there that aren't diehards. You also have people in NWA that moved here from other areas of the country that weren't born here and don't have the same allegiance.

I do think Mike's argument lost a lot of perspective. When you draw a paycheck because people are so vested in a team that they clamor for information on it to the point you can cover them for a living, then you don't get to say we have bad fans. IMO, anyway. I generally agree with him on most things. If he's trying to say we have bad fans, then he's not as sharp as I thought.

hogsanity

Quote from: FayettenamSam on September 24, 2013, 04:47:37 pm
Completely agree. I'm getting a little older so I do sit in the stands more, but I do understand trying to have fans In the stands that make a difference. We need the home field advantage with the crowd being a difference maker.

again, have I missed something?  Is there an epidemic of people that can not yell and sit at the same time? Do they go silent when there backside is pressed against the bleacher seat?  Do they have some sort of nerve  affliction that causes muteness when they sit?

MacHog19

Quote from: Camera Hog on September 24, 2013, 01:19:13 pm
Problem is they've jacked ticket prices up to the point where a LOT of the "rowdy" fans can't make it to the game. Need to make the corner sections $20 tickets. Going to lose the fans if they keep gouging.
I understand your point; however, if you expect the program to pay competitive coaches' salaries and have sufficient funds available to underwrite the other sports and remain in the black, then you're never going to see $20 tickets again.  That era is gone and will never return.

hogsanity

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 24, 2013, 04:50:26 pm
FWIW, I was on the field at Rutgers on the final Arkansas drive. On third down, the crowd hit 106 on the decibel meter app on my phone. That's pretty impressive for such a small stadium.

and they apparently know the proper times to get loud. 

hogsanity

Quote from: colt-45 on September 24, 2013, 04:49:07 pm

Our fans aren't terrible. They might not be the best either. My guess is somewhere in the middle of the SEC.

Hum, kind of like our recruiting, and our record usually is.

razorbacker231

Oh lawd.  The good fan vs bad fan debate again...
Should i sit or should i stand?  Yell or not.  Critique every play or call or....well, ok, yeah....that guy is annoying, i'll agree.  But seriously, 3 pages of this?  And this is prob the 1000th thread with this discussion?

Round and round and round we go.  I think MMQB needs a collective straight jacket. 

I would be willing to bet that most of the "fannier than thou" fans, are young, have no children, or dont take them if they do, prob live with mom and dad, or by some extension, are sheltered from things more important than football.  Oh, blasphemy?!?  Did i just say that?!?  There are things more important?  Yep, i did. 

The only thing more annoying to me than the espn analyst sitting behind me at the stadium, is the "your not a fan if" guy.

SkunkyMunky

September 24, 2013, 04:59:36 pm #148 Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:11:11 pm by SkunkyMunky
Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:18:05 pm
my kid is 6ft tall now, so I was not talking about my kid, just kids in general at the game.  But, why should a kid have to ask what happened, those around should be courteous enough to let him SEE what is happening.
I don't know why they would with all the video boards.
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

RedRock