Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IF, and I say IF BB is fired, isn't there only 1 hire that will stop the cycle

Started by hogsanity, November 13, 2017, 01:16:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 13, 2017, 01:43:32 pm
That is a different question, and a good one. I am saying, to end the loop of " we should have hired Gus............" and to keep him from looming over whoever we do hire, it is the only way.

And he may want to come here to get away from Bama, or because his wife really wants to move home, or a dozen other reasons.

I get the reasoning, but Gus doesn't have experience recruiting for a school like UofA. If it went south on him then you can kiss the football program goodbye for a long time.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hogsanity

Quote from: ChitownHawg on November 13, 2017, 05:01:52 pm
I get the reasoning, but Gus doesn't have experience recruiting for a school like UofA. If it went south on him then you can kiss the football program goodbye for a long time.

Who does have experience recruiting to a school with virtually no instate talent relative to the instate talent all the other schools in the conference have, and that is 300+ miles from just about any pocket of legit sec talent?

Right now, one guy comes to mind, Bo Pelini. I do not like him, he is a jackass, but he has sec experience as DC at LSU and he was stuck in Nebraska and yet never won fewer than 9 games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChitownHawg

Quote from: cjack on November 13, 2017, 01:46:42 pm
Security and family would be the only advantages we have over Auburn for Gus.   We've shown we will accept crap from a coach year after year and I don't think he'd deliver a crappy product anyway.   

We (Arkansas fans) didn't make up the rumors about the Auburn fan base being unhappy and wanting him gone.  A couple losses or even a loss to Alabama in a couple weeks and all that comes back.

Good point. Our fan base never complains about our coaches. Hootie was hired because he was one of us. This mentality is too backwards. Go get a young up and comer. Worked with Sutton and Nolan.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Knot2brite

I refuse to watch a Arkansas team led by Gus....I will find another team or something better to do with my time
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

dc10x5555

Quote from: Knot2brite on November 13, 2017, 05:31:09 pm
I refuse to watch a Arkansas team led by Gus....I will find another team or something better to do with my time
fine.....if you want a repeat of BB's stay at Arkansas.  bring Gus home and turn things around.  the Gus bus is coming and noone can stop it.

Knot2brite

Quote from: dc10x5555 on November 13, 2017, 05:33:48 pm
fine.....if you want a repeat of BB's stay at Arkansas.  bring Gus home and turn things around.  the Gus bus is coming and noone can stop it.
Have fun with that...I refuse to support that man in any way form or fashion. He is not what you think

Paul

elksnort

Quote from: hogsanity on November 13, 2017, 01:16:32 pm
Much like the last basketball search, there was only 1 hire that was going to bring about closure to the loop. In football isn't that hire Gus. No matter who else they might get, at the 1st sign of things going bad people will start with " I knew we should have brought Gus home!". No other hire is going to quell that, unless whoever is hired comes in and wins alot and fairly quickly. It seems to me the only way this ends for good is if Gus is hired and he either wins alot, and people can crow saying ' see we KNEW he was the guy to turn this around " or he fails and people say " see we knew he wouldn't win here ".
There is absolutely no doubt that this a parallel situation.

007 License To Squeal

******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Hoggie17

Much like the last basketball search, there was only 1 hire that was going to bring about closure to the loop. In football isn't that hire Gus. No matter who else they might get, at the 1st sign of things going bad people will start with " I knew we should have brought Gus home!". No other hire is going to quell that, unless whoever is hired comes in and wins alot and fairly quickly. It seems to me the only way this ends for good is if Gus is hired and he either wins alot, and people can crow saying ' see we KNEW he was the guy to turn this around " or he fails and people say " see we knew he wouldn't win here ".
CBP stopped all the Gus talk, but Long fired him.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Knot2brite on November 13, 2017, 05:31:09 pm

Buh Bye
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Dominicanhog

Hoggie17

Quote from: Knot2brite on November 13, 2017, 05:35:42 pm
Have fun with that...I refuse to support that man in any way form or fashion. He is not what you think
I think he has a record as HC of 51-23.  Thats not true???

elksnort

Call me ignorant, but why are there a faction of Razorback fans who dislike Gus so much?

I just don't get it. I assume it comes from the petty nature of these same fans. Did he do something to you personally?

Knot2brite

1highhog

Quote from: elksnort on November 13, 2017, 05:54:23 pm
Call me ignorant, but why are there a faction of Razorback fans who dislike Gus so much?

I just don't get it. I assume it comes from the petty nature of these same fans. Did he do something to you personally?

OK, I'll call you ignorant but I usually don't call people that I don't know names.  Why do you want people to call you ignorant for anyway, just because they have a different viewpoint than you do?  I don't like the offense that Gus runs, I don't know the man personally,  although I am familiar with his wife and I don't care for her personally.  But she's not a coach so what the hell.  But if other people don't like Gus don't just call it petty if you don't know why they don't like him, because that does make you look, as you said, ignorant.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 13, 2017, 04:35:01 pm
What if he ends up in the middle - not failing and not winning a lot - for an extended time?  Chances are probably pretty good we get stuck with that (feeling of deja vu). 
Kind of like Mike Anderson?  2 NCAA tournaments in 6 years is not good enough.  Now if he gets it going this year and continues to improve and be a top 20-30 team annually then I will say it was the right hire.  For now I'm still skeptical.

I'm against Malzahn more because of the Arkansas fans love/hate relationship more than the football side.  I think he is an above average coach, not great but good enough.  I'd rather take a chance on someone like Norvell, Campbell, Brent Venables, Joe Moorhead, etc., 

1highhog

My choice as head coach would be to go out and get the best defensive coach out there, that would be either Brent Venables and or Dave Aranda.  Then, they could bring in the best assistants possible and especially a OC that brings and exciting offense that utilizes a dual threat QB.

elksnort

Quote from: 1highhog on November 13, 2017, 07:03:14 pm
OK, I'll call you ignorant but I usually don't call people that I don't know names.  Why do you want people to call you ignorant for anyway, just because they have a different viewpoint than you do?  I don't like the offense that Gus runs, I don't know the man personally,  although I am familiar with his wife and I don't care for her personally.  But she's not a coach so what the hell.  But if other people don't like Gus don't just call it petty if you don't know why they don't like him, because that does make you look, as you said, ignorant.
well pretty well-thought-out post. And part of my subject-verb agreement error

elksnort

Quote from: 1highhog on November 13, 2017, 10:00:49 pm
My choice as head coach would be to go out and get the best defensive coach out there, that would be either Brent Venables and or Dave Aranda.  Then, they could bring in the best assistants possible and especially a OC that brings and exciting offense that utilizes a dual threat QB.
Now call my self ignorant, maybe you should share the blame.  We are going to have to have some offense. Defense is a premium. If we ever do get great defense to go along with the great offense then we're talking championships. Until then, at least score.  We will always have a chance then.

HawgTide

At least you aren't bitching as much as you usually do. So that's something

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hogsanity on November 13, 2017, 02:01:16 pm
Built in hater crowd? You mean like the ones who were on here 12 seconds after BB was hired talking about what a bad choice he was for the job?

And were absolutely correct BTW....

PRJ