Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wanna pick up another conceal weapon

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, August 12, 2016, 07:03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

This one a bit smaller but just as capable. I looked at several today, and money is an issue, but really liked the Taurus 9mm slimline.

Thoughts?

PP

tophawg19

my dealing with Taurus has been pleasant . i like their guns . I still have my 38 and it has been a great gun

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Pulled(PP)pork

I really thought this thread would take off, with all of the 2nd Amendment whackos  around her.....guess I should have put it in the tavern. 😵🔫

PP

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 13, 2016, 07:34:57 am
I really thought this thread would take off, with all of the 2nd Amendment whackos  around her.....guess I should have put it in the tavern. 😵🔫

PP

The only 2nd Amendment whackos are people against the 2nd Amendment.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Wayne Watson on August 13, 2016, 03:49:48 pm
The only 2nd Amendment whackos are people against the 2nd Amendment.
it was tongue in cheek, wayno!  remember, the big guy won't buy us a sarcasm button, so youse got to figure it out on your own.

;)

PP

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 13, 2016, 03:51:33 pm
it was tongue in cheek, wayno!  remember, the big guy won't buy us a sarcasm button, so youse got to figure it out on your own.

;)

PP

LOL!  Yep.  I've had good luck with Taurus. Don't know if they still do, but years ago, they bought tooling from Ruger.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Pulled(PP)pork

they make pretty much any caliber in a slim version....a friend said I can go down in size but not in number of bullets.
but, most of the sub-compact variety carry 6+1

PP

The OTR

ChromDome35

Check out the Kahr CW9.  It is my primary carry weapon.  Awesome quality and reputation and won't break the piggy bank

DeltaBoy

Kahr or Taurus make nice small 9mm along with Kel tec.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: ChromDome35 on August 15, 2016, 08:57:02 pm
Check out the Kahr CW9.  It is my primary carry weapon.  Awesome quality and reputation and won't break the piggy bank
a bit too much for me, I only paid $400 for my Ruger

I really liked the Taurus slim 9...he had a pretty cool conceal pouch too, that fit in your pocket or inside your waistline

PP

theFlyingHog

M&P shield is a good carry piece. 9, 40 or 45. I go iwb in a tshirt every day

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 17, 2016, 04:59:26 pm
M&P shield is a good carry piece. 9, 40 or 45. I go iwb in a tshirt every day
that's S&W right?  I almost bought a .380 off a fb seller, but when I actually held one, the trigger pull was ridiculous

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 17, 2016, 11:57:23 am
a bit too much for me, I only paid $400 for my Ruger

I really liked the Taurus slim 9...he had a pretty cool conceal pouch too, that fit in your pocket or inside your waistline

PP

What do you already have?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 17, 2016, 05:13:22 pm
that's S&W right?  I almost bought a .380 off a fb seller, but when I actually held one, the trigger pull was ridiculous

PP
Yeah the shield trigger takes some breaking in. I have an early one, have heard the latest are a bit better. There's always the Apex kit that's so popular

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 18, 2016, 09:05:25 am
no, SR9c

PP

Ruger makes an LC9s which is striker fired like a glock or springfield XD.  I've seen them for $325.  Might be worth a look. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 18, 2016, 10:14:24 am
Ruger makes an LC9s which is striker fired like a glock or springfield XD.  I've seen them for $325.  Might be worth a look.
ok, will look at those

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 18, 2016, 10:37:26 am
ok, will look at those

PP

theres an LC9s and LC9s pro.  The pro doesn't have a safety.  I would avoid that one.  If you put that one in your pocket you might shoot something off. 

DOGALUM

You can pick up a like new Shield for well under $400 and don't have to worry about the poor quality history of the Taurus semi-autos.  I wouldn't trust my the defense of my family to a Taurus semi-auto unless I had zero alternatives.  The Shield is an fine gun.   You can get it with or without the manual safety as well.  I prefer no external safety on my carry weapons.  One less thing to think about. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Pulled(PP)pork

DOGALUM

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 18, 2016, 03:09:18 pm
Just got a M&P 9 shield

I like it!
External safety or without?
It's a good choice either way.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

kodiakisland

I'm happy with my shield for what it is.  I think I'd like a G43 better, but the shield was less than $400 out the door.  Mine is without safety.  The only reason I could see getting a safety on that pistol is if it is going to be carried off the body where a kid might have access to it.  It is extremely small and hard to work under normal circumstances and I can imagine how hard it would be to work under stress.  Some have said the just never put it on, which is dangerous because they never train to take it off when pulled.  Murphy's law says it will somehow be on when you need it and you won't be trained to take it off under stress.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Pulled(PP)pork

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 18, 2016, 03:54:13 pm
I'm happy with my shield for what it is.  I think I'd like a G43 better, but the shield was less than $400 out the door.  Mine is without safety.  The only reason I could see getting a safety on that pistol is if it is going to be carried off the body where a kid might have access to it.  It is extremely small and hard to work under normal circumstances and I can imagine how hard it would be to work under stress.  Some have said the just never put it on, which is dangerous because they never train to take it off when pulled.  Murphy's law says it will somehow be on when you need it and you won't be trained to take it off under stress.
my last name is Murphy

PP

theFlyingHog

I started shooting ducks at 10 and the way I was taught to shoot, operating the safety is an automatic part of bringing the gun up to shoot. So I got my Shield with safety. Hopefully I never have to find out if that gives me issues in a life-or-death instance.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 20, 2016, 07:46:29 am
I started shooting ducks at 10 and the way I was taught to shoot, operating the safety is an automatic part of bringing the gun up to shoot. So I got my Shield with safety. Hopefully I never have to find out if that gives me issues in a life-or-death instance.
yeah, I was thinking just practice practice practice

PP

sowmonella

Where did you buy your shield? I noticed Ft Thompson had them for $350.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: sowmonella on August 20, 2016, 04:52:39 pm
ok, now you can kiss my a.......arrrrgh. My usual shop, Direct Hit in Jackson Tn

$389

PP

theFlyingHog

Quote from: sowmonella on August 20, 2016, 04:52:39 pm
Did you see if they have any of the Performance Center Shields? I wouldn't mind picking one up in 9

sowmonella

I've got no idea. They should have an ad in tomorrow's Dem Gaz.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

theFlyingHog

Quote from: sowmonella on August 20, 2016, 10:34:26 pm
I've got no idea. They should have an ad in tomorrow's Dem Gaz.
Hahahaha! I'm always railing against the demgaz over in crootin. I live 10min from the Fort so I'll swing by

DeltaBoy

Good gun Pulled I handle a pair of those Shields but I not buying one just yet.  College Bills are here !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

oldman1015

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 22, 2016, 10:02:12 am
Good gun Pulled I handle a pair of those Shields but I not buying one just yet.  College Bills are here !
trade in a couple hundred pocket knives.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Mr.Swine89

I carry a Springfield Armory XDS .45 in my waistband daily. Easy to conceal and a serious bang. Even got the extended mag for it.

DeltaBoy

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on August 22, 2016, 10:03:32 pm
I carry a Springfield Armory XDS .45 in my waistband daily. Easy to conceal and a serious bang. Even got the extended mag for it.
springfields have become expensive

PP

kodiakisland

Nothing is as cheap as it used to be.  The only difference is the price of guns has stayed below the rise in inflation and allowed us to own several when it used to be common to only own one or two.  So relatively speaking, most guns are still a bargain.  The problem is we want too many of them.

I hear you though, I bought a shield as my #3 or 4 carry gun because it was less money than the G43.  Used to be I had one and was completely happy with it.  As much as I want to stop buying guns, I just can't.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

theFlyingHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 23, 2016, 04:11:27 pm
Nothing is as cheap as it used to be.  The only difference is the price of guns has stayed below the rise in inflation and allowed us to own several when it used to be common to only own one or two.  So relatively speaking, most guns are still a bargain.  The problem is we want too many of them.

I hear you though, I bought a shield as my #3 or 4 carry gun because it was less money than the G43.  Used to be I had one and was completely happy with it.  As much as I want to stop buying guns, I just can't.
And the more you buy, the more you want to buy!

GolfNut57

At the moment I only have a Tauraus small frame .40 for carrying. I like it and  it has been very reliable on the range for shooting. (no jam ups). Used to have a Judge before selling it and would like to go back to it. Love the versatility on the choice of ammo.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Pulled(PP)pork

I finally shot my shield....as fast as I could for 50rnds, no problem

I just hate the cleaning part, lol

PP

HoGustav

The XD is what I and most of my friends carry...accurate and always reliable.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: HoGustav on September 07, 2016, 10:16:50 am
The XD is what I and most of my friends carry...accurate and always reliable.
they got spensive!

PP

kodiakisland

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on August 25, 2016, 06:10:32 pm
I finally shot my shield....as fast as I could for 50rnds, no problem

I just hate the cleaning part, lol

PP

What cleaning?  You don't have to clean it just because you shot it.  If I cleaned mine everytime I shot them I'd never have time to work.  After the initial break in it should easily go 500 rounds or more before I'd even think of cleaning it.  There is nothing corrosive about modern ammunition.  The old clean it after you shoot it habit came from corrosive primers used a long time ago and maybe in some of the old surplus Russian ammo still floating around.  Wipe off the outside and put it away.  It will be fine.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 07, 2016, 05:14:14 pm
What cleaning?  You don't have to clean it just because you shot it.  If I cleaned mine everytime I shot them I'd never have time to work.  After the initial break in it should easily go 500 rounds or more before I'd even think of cleaning it.  There is nothing corrosive about modern ammunition.  The old clean it after you shoot it habit came from corrosive primers used a long time ago and maybe in some of the old surplus Russian ammo still floating around.  Wipe off the outside and put it away.  It will be fine.
I keep mine in a bucket of wd40. Makes a cool flame first couple of shots

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 07, 2016, 05:14:14 pm
cool, damn those conceal carry classes!

PP

ronmahony

Good choice PP I bought a 40 Shield a couple of years ago when they were hard to find and a good bit more expensive because of that. If you ever have any questions about a gun go to Hickock45 on YouTube. That dude can flat shoot, and he shoots and reviews a lot of different weapons. That's one of the reasons I bought mine, he was a big Glock until he reviewed the Shield, actually did a couple of different reviews on it. After that he said the Shield was his new CC. Course a little later he did one comparing the shield to an XDS Springfield and wound up liking the Xds a little bit better. Lol but it was close. For what 150 dollars difference you can't beat it. I wish I could shoot like that guy, 80 yard shots with a three inch pistol! Shoot I can barely see eighty yards lol.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

DeltaBoy

We have way more choices today than we had even 5 years ago.