Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Stephen Jones - - -

Started by Hawgphat, February 04, 2018, 10:16:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on February 05, 2018, 10:47:36 am
It changed. He is on scholarship

Good. Maybe that will end the Baker Mayfield comparisons. It will be enough having to live up to being Jerry's grandson. Looking forward to seeing him.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Cotton

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 07, 2018, 08:23:58 am
Since when is signing a good player, that comes from a long line of hogs, anything but a great thing?
/Thread.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

PorkSoda

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 05, 2018, 07:32:30 am
Height in not everything in a quarterback. If it was nobody under 6-2 would have ever made it to the NFL. This kid is pretty danged salty. He makes plays, especially under pressure. There is no way at this point to know exactly how well he will make the transition to the SEC but it will be interesting to watch it unfold. It would be  a hell of story if he ever wins the job.
last I checked, a 6-2 guy can't see over a 6-7 tackle any better than a 5-10 guy.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

plumbhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 08, 2018, 01:23:46 pm
last I checked, a 6-2 guy can't see over a 6-7 tackle any better than a 5-10 guy.
Maybe we just need to find one that see under them!
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Paul

Quote from: liljo on February 06, 2018, 09:38:31 am
Then I have to wonder, maybe everyone pretty well knew this kid was going to Arkansas and just didn't want to spend a lot of time going after a player they had precious little chance of getting. For SMU, he was local. Didn't cost much to reach out. Kansas and Texas Tech? I don't know what the connections there may be, but it is highly possible his choosing Arkansas was based only on receiving an offer from them.

I suspect there are kids all over the country like this. Just a thought.
what bugs some is that Morris didn't offer him while at SMU though he was the starter ahead of Morris's son. Also the other P5 offers came after ours.  Then it was announced 3-4 days after Morris got the job that he was offered a blueshirt only to find out later that, in a year with few scholarships to grant, he was given a full scholarship this year.  Now if, as some contend, he deserves a scholarship because of what his grandfather has done for the school then so be it.  But if, as others contend, he deserves a scholarship based on his athletic ability at this level then the debate is valid. 

jgphillips3

Quote from: Paul on February 11, 2018, 10:04:34 pm
what bugs some is that Morris didn't offer him while at SMU though he was the starter ahead of Morris's son. Also the other P5 offers came after ours.  Then it was announced 3-4 days after Morris got the job that he was offered a blueshirt only to find out later that, in a year with few scholarships to grant, he was given a full scholarship this year.  Now if, as some contend, he deserves a scholarship because of what his grandfather has done for the school then so be it.  But if, as others contend, he deserves a scholarship based on his athletic ability at this level then the debate is valid. 

Well, it's widely believed that Jerry supported and promoted Morris for our job. quid pro quo is what it sounds like to me.

wildhogman

I have no facts to back this up. I am to lazy as well to go back through post history of so many people. But I bet the same ones whining about this kid getting a scholarship, were fine with Malazahn getting OC on the backs of 5 kids.  Who cares if he got it because of grandpa, or because he is a late bloomer, or because he is legit.  He is a hog now, for the rest of his life he will be a recruit, player, and finally former player.  If he never takes a snap, never gets on the field, Its doesn't matter, HE IS A HOG FOREVER. Like the rest of us

bennyl08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 11, 2018, 11:21:43 pm
Well, it's widely believed that Jerry supported and promoted Morris for our job. quid pro quo is what it sounds like to me.

Same here.

I'm not Jerry Jones (thank goodness, would hate to lose over 40 years of my life), but if I was a multi billionaire who supported the hogs, I'd refuse to let them give any family member of mine a scholarship when it would cost me less than a thousandth of one percent of my current wealth to pay for 4 years of his college. Especially in a year where scholarships are tight to begin with. I'd rather then be able to go out and sign an extra player and accept my grandson as a walk-on. Sure, I'd want him treated like a scholarship player, but that should be happening regardless.

But who knows, maybe this was the price to pay for being hired or maybe Morris thought JSJ was truly one of the best 15 or so players that he could sign and that any other player getting a scholly would be less of a player. Doubt we ever know and it wouldn't be very professional of anybody IMO to go out and say anything about it regardless.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

oldhawg

Quid pro quo is a way of life in our society ---- congress, business, intelligence community, among friends and family, etc.  Social status is usually not an issue.  Also, it's not as if the young Jones has no abilities ---- perhaps a long shot, but worth a bet. 

Someone mentioned no P-5 offers for Jones until Arkansas offered.  The same could be said about Parker, but i've  seen no contentious remarks about his recruitment or signing. 

ricepig

Well, of course you would be wrong. Texas Tech offered Nov 30, before Morris was hired as our HC.

https://247sports.com/player/john-stephen-jones-46039810

steveaustin69

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 12, 2018, 12:45:35 am
Same here.

I'm not Jerry Jones (thank goodness, would hate to lose over 40 years of my life), but if I was a multi billionaire who supported the hogs, I'd refuse to let them give any family member of mine a scholarship when it would cost me less than a thousandth of one percent of my current wealth to pay for 4 years of his college. Especially in a year where scholarships are tight to begin with. I'd rather then be able to go out and sign an extra player and accept my grandson as a walk-on. Sure, I'd want him treated like a scholarship player, but that should be happening regardless.

But who knows, maybe this was the price to pay for being hired or maybe Morris thought JSJ was truly one of the best 15 or so players that he could sign and that any other player getting a scholly would be less of a player. Doubt we ever know and it wouldn't be very professional of anybody IMO to go out and say anything about it regardless.

Haha a billionaire who is in the pro football hall of fame with 3 super bowl rings. Yeah, what a loser.

jkstock04

Quote from: oldhawg on February 12, 2018, 07:48:04 am
Quid pro quo is a way of life in our society ---- congress, business, intelligence community, among friends and family, etc.  Social status is usually not an issue.  Also, it's not as if the young Jones has no abilities ---- perhaps a long shot, but worth a bet. 

Someone mentioned no P-5 offers for Jones until Arkansas offered.  The same could be said about Parker, but i've  seen no contentious remarks about his recruitment or signing. 
To me it all boils down to had Morris offered him at SMU or was he at least recruiting him/talking to him? If the answer to this is no....it's beyond obvious what this is all about.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RME

Same here.

Maybe this is about JSJ earning a scholarship himself and getting out from under Granddad's shadow?

No, that'll likely never happen. He'll always be Jerry Jones' grandson.

But he can tell himself, "I earned a football scholarship to play at the University of Arkansas." Not tell himself, "Well I had a scholarship offer that I myself earned, but my family made me turn it down so Granddad could pay for everything like he always has."

Good for JSJ. Kid got a scholarship to an SEC school.

jkstock04

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 12, 2018, 08:53:44 am
Maybe this is about JSJ earning a scholarship himself and getting out from under Granddad's shadow?

No, that'll likely never happen. He'll always be Jerry Jones' grandson.

But he can tell himself, "I earned a football scholarship to play at the University of Arkansas." Not tell himself, "Well I had a scholarship offer that I myself earned, but my family made me turn it down so Granddad could pay for everything like he always has."

Good for JSJ. Kid got a scholarship to an SEC school.
Is this really a thing in life? Relatives like grandparents, aunts, uncles...paying "everything" for other relatives because they are well off? I can see mommy and daddy spoiling their kids but otherwise? I must be in the wrong family because I've never seen anything like that.

Thing is, this can be spun til the cows come home...but Highland Park is basically just down the street from SMU. If Chad Morris didn't offer this kid while coaching at SMU, why not and why now?

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

wildhogman

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 12, 2018, 08:38:29 am
Haha a billionaire who is in the pro football hall of fame with 3 super bowl rings. Yeah, what a loser.
You missed the most important part of what you quoted. LOSING 40 years of life to be him.  Would YOU give up 40 years of your life to get his achievments?

RME

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 12, 2018, 09:12:41 am
Is this really a thing in life? Relatives like grandparents, aunts, uncles...paying "everything" for other relatives because they are well off? I can see mommy and daddy spoiling their kids but otherwise? I must be in the wrong family because I've never seen anything like that.

Thing is, this can be spun til the cows come home...but Highland Park is basically just down the street from SMU. If Chad Morris didn't offer this kid while coaching at SMU, why not and why now?

I have no idea. Not in my family. I was following along word-for-word with Benny's post that said, "I'm not Jerry Jones...but if I was a multi billionaire who supported the hogs, I'd refuse to let them give any family member of mine a scholarship when it would cost me less than a thousandth of one percent of my current wealth to pay for 4 years of his college."

In that scenario, yes, Jerry is paying for things.

steveaustin69

Quote from: wildhogman on February 12, 2018, 09:14:15 am
You missed the most important part of what you quoted. LOSING 40 years of life to be him.  Would YOU give up 40 years of your life to get his achievments?

Ha. My mistake. Misunderstood; thought he was saying he lost for 40 years.

ricepig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 12, 2018, 09:21:34 am
Ha. My mistake. Misunderstood; thought you were saying he lost for 40 years.

Cut that in half......

wildhogman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 12, 2018, 09:17:41 am
I have no idea. Not in my family. I was following along word-for-word with Benny's post that said, "I'm not Jerry Jones...but if I was a multi billionaire who supported the hogs, I'd refuse to let them give any family member of mine a scholarship when it would cost me less than a thousandth of one percent of my current wealth to pay for 4 years of his college."

In that scenario, yes, Jerry is paying for things.

And "what if" in your scenario, the young man decided to go to aTm because they offered a scholarship? Then in year's 3 and 4 won "all sec" at QB leading them to an 11-2 record and New years day 6 bowl game, and follow that up with 12-1 and a playoff win and NC?   Imagine the uproar all across hog land wanting to know why CMM and his grand dad couldn't get one of the best QB's to come to Arkansas.  Ofcourse this is just a what if game. 
Personally I think it is a family decision, and if CCM gave the scholly from a perceived obligation to the Jones family for helping him, He will have to live with it. I doubt it wil hurt him any more then the "springdale 6" hurt Malazhan.

DLUXHOG

I personally wouldn't care if Arkansas gave this young man two scholarships in light of the millions his grandfather has given to the Razorback program.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Davidr295

If Jerry was the owner of any other NFL team nobody would be saying jack.

HouSwine

Mr. Jones recognizes talent and opportunity.
The kid is a player, leader, and winner!
Thanks, Gramps! WPS!
For all you've given.
Congratulations to you and his dad, who was a solid player himself, as I recall.
This is going to be fun!

Paul

Quote from: ricepig on February 12, 2018, 08:34:02 am
Well, of course you would be wrong. Texas Tech offered Nov 30, before Morris was hired as our HC.

https://247sports.com/player/john-stephen-jones-46039810
my bad of that offer

Vantage 8 dude

Frankly it's one scholarship. And while it's true we need all the high ranked players we can get, I honestly don't see his receiving financial assistance a problem. In the end he will either contribute to the team's success or he won't. The one thing we do know, however, is that in many ways legacies do positively contribute, whether that be immediately or down the road a ways. Have far bigger issues to debate IMO. 

Pudgepork

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2018, 01:08:56 pm
Frankly it's one scholarship. And while it's true we need all the high ranked players we can get, I honestly don't see his receiving financial assistance a problem. In the end he will either contribute to the team's success or he won't. The one thing we do know, however, is that in many ways legacies do positively contribute, whether that be immediately or down the road a ways. Have far bigger issues to debate IMO.

Agree.     Let's hope to land another legacy qb named Grant Gunnel

Hog Pharm

Widely believed on what evidence? I've only read that on hogville.

bennyl08

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 12, 2018, 08:38:29 am

Straw man much? Never said he didn't have a good life. I said I wouldn't trade my life right now to be in his life right now. I'd rather be a poor young man with generations of life left to live rather than lose over 40 years of my life just to say I'm rich and live with the accomplishments that somebody else achieved and be years, maybe a decade away from dying.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 12, 2018, 09:21:34 am
Ha. My mistake. Misunderstood; thought he was saying he lost for 40 years.

Haha, responding to your post before reading the rest of the thread.

bennyl08

Quote from: wildhogman on February 12, 2018, 11:37:34 am
And "what if" in your scenario, the young man decided to go to aTm because they offered a scholarship? Then in year's 3 and 4 won "all sec" at QB leading them to an 11-2 record and New years day 6 bowl game, and follow that up with 12-1 and a playoff win and NC?   Imagine the uproar all across hog land wanting to know why CMM and his grand dad couldn't get one of the best QB's to come to Arkansas.  Ofcourse this is just a what if game. 
Personally I think it is a family decision, and if CCM gave the scholly from a perceived obligation to the Jones family for helping him, He will have to live with it. I doubt it wil hurt him any more then the "springdale 6" hurt Malazhan.

Well, technically, that was my "what if" scenario. In your what-if scenario, that would all be remedied by two people having open communication. If JSJ wanted to feel that he earned the scholarship in his own right and would go somewhere else if needed to, then sure, you would change the stance to let them go to arkansas. I think he'll be a quality depth player for us that could improve the quality of our scout team and take it to another level, but I doubt he does anything much more than that unless qb recruiting under Morris takes a nose dive compared to what we've seen over the past decade. That said, I do think he has a resume on par with many other players that have gotten scholarships here over the years.

My statement was more along the quid pro quo argument of how much Jerrah has given tot he program. Barring the son demanding he makes a name for himself and feeling like being a walk on paid for by granddad wouldn't allow him to do that, it would have been a greater benefit for the razorbacks to have Jerry pay for John and free up another scholarship for us to give. I don't think giving JSJ a scholly hurts the program at all, just that by having him walk on, we could have benefited even more. IF (and I'm not saying this is true, strictly hypothetical) Jerry needed to see the uni and Morris in particular scratch his back type of a deal, then that just becomes a function of ego. It's an ego that the university will feed regardless, but if it ever came out that it was true, then that would lower my opinion of Jerry Jones from where it currently stands.

thebignasty

Quote from: hogsanity on February 05, 2018, 08:32:16 am
Let me ask this, if his name was Jim Bob Honeycutt, and no one is his family had any relationship to the UofA, would anyone care if he came here or not?

No, and we'd have a bunch of posts about how beating out SMU and Texas Tech for kids isn't going to cut it in the SEC.

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

PigPusher

Same here.

My lad work hard at enjoying ever minute of your life. You will be very surprised just how quickly the ending years comes settling down upon your shoulders. All of a sudden, for example or so, one works the last eight hour day, buys the last car, adopts the last puppy and marries the last woman (heh). OH, and, enjoys man's great playground for the last time. Enjoy your years !!
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 12, 2018, 06:55:10 pm
Well, technically, that was my "what if" scenario. In your what-if scenario, that would all be remedied by two people having open communication. If JSJ wanted to feel that he earned the scholarship in his own right and would go somewhere else if needed to, then sure, you would change the stance to let them go to arkansas. I think he'll be a quality depth player for us that could improve the quality of our scout team and take it to another level, but I doubt he does anything much more than that unless qb recruiting under Morris takes a nose dive compared to what we've seen over the past decade. That said, I do think he has a resume on par with many other players that have gotten scholarships here over the years.

My statement was more along the quid pro quo argument of how much Jerrah has given tot he program. Barring the son demanding he makes a name for himself and feeling like being a walk on paid for by granddad wouldn't allow him to do that, it would have been a greater benefit for the razorbacks to have Jerry pay for John and free up another scholarship for us to give. I don't think giving JSJ a scholly hurts the program at all, just that by having him walk on, we could have benefited even more. IF (and I'm not saying this is true, strictly hypothetical) Jerry needed to see the uni and Morris in particular scratch his back type of a deal, then that just becomes a function of ego. It's an ego that the university will feed regardless, but if it ever came out that it was true, then that would lower my opinion of Jerry Jones from where it currently stands.

...and if it was an academic scholarship, nobody would say a word.
I love how people want to punish the grandson, because they don't like the grandfather. Heaven help the kid if he ever tries to use his student discount at
Chick-Fil-a. Geez.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Mike_e

I know exactly how to be right about whether or not the kid deserves a scholly.

I'm going to wait four or five years and then see what happened.

Patience is a good thing.  ;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

oldhawg

February 13, 2018, 06:41:17 am #185 Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:28:10 am by oldhawg
Quote from: jkstock04 on February 12, 2018, 08:47:17 am
To me it all boils down to had Morris offered him at SMU or was he at least recruiting him/talking to him? If the answer to this is no....it's beyond obvious what this is all about.

And what difference does it make?  Absolutely none, nothing illegal about the offer, not against NCAA rules, not immoral.   An offer to a three star athlete who happens to be the grandson of Arkansas's most prodigious supporter and happens to be ownerof the Cowboys.  The Jones family just does not have the connection to SMU that it does to Arkansas, and if that is the only reason that Morris offered young Mr. Jones, it is still worth the scholarship to him.

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on February 12, 2018, 11:37:34 am

Actually in this case, the "what if" doesn't apply because it's pretty well known that JSJ was going to be a Hog even if he had to walk on to do it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

nchogg

I wish some would get off John Jones back. The kid has every right to a scolly just as the next player does. You have seen his films and he is a play maker. He will have to earn his place on the roster just like everyone else. It's part of HS for players to be offered a scolly and they are proud of it. Let the young Jones have his day without reading all this BS.

GuvHog

Quote from: nchogg on February 13, 2018, 07:00:48 am
I wish some would get off John Jones back. The kid has every right to a scolly just as the next player does. You have seen his films and he is a play maker. He will have to earn his place on the roster just like everyone else. It's part of HS for players to be offered a scolly and they are proud of it. Let the young Jones have his day without reading all this BS.

He'll get his chance to show what he can do and I'm looking forward to it but this year, I believe he'll Red Shirt.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GuvHog on February 13, 2018, 06:59:47 am
Actually in this case, the "what if" doesn't apply because it's pretty well known that JSJ was going to be a Hog even if he had to walk on to do it.

Is this another case of it was talked about on Hogville so it was a well known fact he was going to Arkansas?

ricepig

GuvHog

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on February 13, 2018, 09:10:55 am
That article backs up what I said. Your point is??

My point is, it wasn't addressed to you. Your point is?

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 13, 2018, 09:12:08 am
My point is, it wasn't addressed to you. Your point is?

I realized that after I posted and changed my reply.

flippinhogmana

I have always been more concerned about what a person does with an opportunity than how he/she appeared to get the opportunity.  I have sometimes utilized people that I knew more than other people because I knew what they were capable of over others.  To some it might have appeared to be favoritism, but it really wasn't. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hoglady

If this kid ever sees the field he will have earned it.
Morris isn't going to blow his head coaching opportunity here and torpedo his career to play favorites at the QB position.
The man is not insane.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GuvHog

Quote from: hoglady on February 13, 2018, 09:37:58 am
Morris isn't going to blow his head coaching opportunity here and torpedo his career to play favorites at the QB position.
The man is not insane.

I agree with this.

One thought I had was that high school, Highland Park, big bad football school. Suppose they had any other QB prospects that could play football at QB for 2016 and 2017.  Surely, they had a couple above 6 foot tall who could handle the position.  Anyone know? 

My point is this Jones Kid likely beat out a few others to get the QB job there at HP as the cool posters like to call the High School.  I guess it was just outhouse luck they won the state titles with this too small, no smarts, weakling for a QB.

This kid appears to have the very first thing you need to be a good football player and it ain't a very rich Grandpa.  He has refusing to be denied. 

jkstock04

Quote from: oldhawg on February 13, 2018, 06:41:17 am
And what difference does it make?  Absolutely none, nothing illegal about the offer, not against NCAA rules, not immoral.   An offer to a three star athlete who happens to be the grandson of Arkansas's most prodigious supporter and happens to be ownerof the Cowboys.  The Jones family just does not have the connection to SMU that it does to Arkansas, and if that is the only reason that Morris offered young Mr. Jones, it is still worth the scholarship to him.
It's for sure noteworthy if Chad Morris didn't offer him when he was coach at SMU...at least by my viewpoint. Highland Park is basically right down the street from SMU. It wouldn't make sense that Morris wasn't all over the kid for a while now given the geography. Maybe he was? But I havent seen anything pointing that way.

The way the narrative on this deal has evolved has been non surprising. On a PR level, I get it. Jerry Jones given millions to the university and spearheaded or had a big hand in Chad Morris getting the job.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

thebignasty

Quote from: hoglady on February 13, 2018, 09:37:58 am
The man is not insane.

this is funny, half of hogville has accused Bielema of doing exactly that, on account of the pull that the director of high school relations had over the program

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes