Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What we Need Moving Forward

Started by -Blu, March 13, 2014, 10:24:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBell

Quote from: Smithian on March 14, 2014, 10:53:58 amWe need to be rooting for Williams and Wagner to stay and be big time contributors.

The backcourt is extremely thin and Wagner as a junior could take a step forward and be a contributor. His improvement is vital for next season. Jacorrey Williams has a ton of potential, he could be a big time contributor if he develops some more.

All you people whined and complained about turnover in the Pelphrey years. Players have been leaving this programs early every offseason under Anderson (just like every program in the nation, imagine that). We need to start having players stay in the program and develop, especially ones he himself signed.

IF Wagner and/or Williams transfer, it is because they will believe (as we believe) that they will likely still be behind others on the depth chart.

IF Wagner can beat out Durham or Beard, then no one would have a problem with him staying.  IF Williams improves enough to play over Harris, Miles, Kingsley or Thompson, then great.

There is a difference between losing your top three players and weeding out unproductive players.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: JayBell on March 14, 2014, 11:32:38 am
IF Wagner and/or Williams transfer, it is because they will believe (as we believe) that they will likely still be behind others on the depth chart.

IF Wagner can beat out Durham or Beard, then no one would have a problem with him staying.  IF Williams improves enough to play over Harris, Miles, Kingsley or Thompson, then great.

There is a difference between losing your top three players and weeding out unproductive players.

+1
Hogs up! Covid down!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Smithian on March 14, 2014, 10:53:58 am
The backcourt is extremely thin and Wagner as a junior could take a step forward and be a contributor. His improvement is vital for next season.

What is the maximum you think Wagner could be for us? Cause truthfully, I don't see it.

Fatmanhog

Its kinda hard to tell about Wagner. The only time I saw him (which i could have missed some) was i mop up duty where everyone is trying to their best to score. Like the Ole Miss game. Everybody was scrambling around to try and get in the stat book. Nothing he has done has led me to believe that he can contribute unless the light just hasnt came on and it suddenly comes on. Williams I think can be a good player just seems like he has the High School mentality that he has to be the one to score. He seems a little out of control but does appear to be atheletic enough to be a good player for MA. Hope they both come back and become good players for us.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

Hawg Red

Everyone's quick to give Wagner the boot, but if we don't snare Atwood -- there's room for everyone. Durham took the last available scholarship. Atwood is a guy you go get if you can and then make the numbers work, but I'm not sure there's anyone else out there like that. I think we're done unless we get Atwood (doubtful -- JMO).

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 14, 2014, 11:55:11 am
Everyone's quick to give Wagner the boot, but if we don't snare Atwood -- there's room for everyone. Durham took the last available scholarship. Atwood is a guy you go get if you can and then make the numbers work, but I'm not sure there's anyone else out there like that. I think we're done unless we get Atwood (doubtful -- JMO).

Our most important need was at the point. Atwood would be gravy. Love to have him but not make or break. Wagner would just continue to mop up IMO if he doesn't make major strides in the offseason.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 14, 2014, 06:53:13 am
Here is a full game of Durham if some of you actually want to see him play before making comments about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpyhNcVaEo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
#4 for the red/orange.

Watching much of the first half, I didn't see him or anyone on his team get within 5 feet of an offensive player with the ball in the defensive halfcourt.  Is that the norm for the type of defense he played?  A very soft zone?  Now he is going to step into Hawg Ball and help? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

if everyone stays that is a big junior class. just don't like that many in one class.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on March 14, 2014, 12:28:58 pm
if everyone stays that is a big junior class. just don't like that many in one class.

Setting up like the situation he left Mizzou in a season after he left.  Probably will push a player or two out. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on March 14, 2014, 12:28:58 pm

That will give us like 5-6 scholarships for the 2016 class. I'm sure if he needs one or two more scholarships for 2015, he'll make the numbers work out.

panchodeana

Jacori Williams is not a solid basketball player. Too many gaping holes in his game. We would've probably won the game yesterday, and be in the NCAA tourney, if someone else had played the minutes he played against South Carolina. He is turnover machine and he can't shoot the basketball.

Temprees

Quote from: -Blu on March 13, 2014, 10:24:39 pm
Well after going to sleep hoping the game was a bad dream, I decided to come on here and discuss our team moving forward. I want to get some discussion going on about what some guys think our strengths and weaknesses are and what we need moving forward.

We have a problem that is REALLY a big deal, and the problem is we don't have guards that can take their man off the dribble and get into the lane and draw fouls.  Madden is the closets thing we have to doing that, but he's not the quickest guy and a lot of times he's out of control when he does it.  In my opinion that's honestly what's holding us back from being a great team.  You look at this last couple of games when our shots aren't falling, we're getting good shots, just not hitting them, and that happens sometimes.  In these situations good teams have a guard or guards they can go to that can get into the lane and get easy baskets.  That's what South Carolina did to us today, besides getting those offensive rebounds.  They attacked the basket, got fouled, made easy free throws.  Their PG #1, I forgot his name, had 10 points and missed all shots.  He got into the lane and got the 10 points from just attacking.  We need guards that can do that.

With that said the staff is addressing that problem, don't know if you guys heard or not yet, but just got a JUCO PG commit a few minutes ago.  Super quick PG, that attacks the rim and gets into the lane, shoots 44% from 3 point. 

Here are his stats http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/jabrildurhamwlgg

Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 29m
ICYMI: Jabril Durham (6-1/G/2014) of Seminole State (OK) committed to Arkansas today.

Anton Beard will help also.  He is a great penetrator and finisher.  He finishes well with either hand.  Very good 3 point shooter and free throw shooter.  He has a number of ways to score. 

I also agree with your assessment about Madden's game. 

Temprees

Quote from: Smithian on March 13, 2014, 11:02:55 pm
HawgAdvocate and I have disagreed on Beard, but HA is right and he takes a couple years to develop....

That will be bad for the Razorbacks.
Beard's game is ready.  He could play and contribute right now.  He will be a major factor on next year's team.

Rbill

Quote from: -Blu on March 13, 2014, 10:24:39 pm

We have a problem that is REALLY a big deal, and the problem is we don't have guards that can take their man off the dribble and get into the lane and draw fouls. 

With that said the staff is addressing that problem, don't know if you guys heard or not yet, but just got a JUCO PG commit a few minutes ago.  Super quick PG, that attacks the rim and gets into the lane, shoots 44% from 3 point. 

Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting 29m
ICYMI: Jabril Durham (6-1/G/2014) of Seminole State (OK) committed to Arkansas today.

Yay, thanks for that news. You're dead on about our biggest weakness. Simply having a guard that can create is absolutely vital to avoid the giant eggs we laid. Obviously we will still try to do 40 minutes of hell first and force easy turnover baskets and try to drain 3s, but if that isn't working we have to develop a backup plan for a half court offense. And without a point guard like you describe it was impossible.

With the development of Portis and Kingsley we could be a very good team. With the improved consistency of Qualls and Bell we could be a very good team. Throw in a point guard that has the ability to consistently drive to the basket under control and score or feed someone and we are in much better shape.

FWIW I hope that Williams stays. Like Harris he needs to work on control but I see lots of potential there for playing behind our 2 big men still.