Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alright, let’s see them! Who is in your top 3 and why?

Started by online-with-swine, October 22, 2017, 08:05:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

online-with-swine

1.  Morris.  Great offensive mind with wide open offense to appeal to the recruits.  Will be able to recruit Texas. 
2.  Norvell.  See above.  Offense is exciting.  Has personal connection to the area and may be most likely to come here.
3.  Brohm.  Another offense oriented coach.  Has done great at traditional cellar dweller Purdue.  Fear for him is recruiting ties to the south and Texas.

Left off Frost because I think he holds out for Nebraska.
Left off Leach because I think we need to go younger and doubt he would want another rebuild.

Pork Ranger

Hawginj

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

online-with-swine

I like Campbell but wonder about recruiting here.  Most of his time coaching has been in the rust belt.  But, the man can coach.

Boardon Hamsay

Bama
Penn St
TCU

All three of my top 3 won yesterday in convincing fashion.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

North hog

1. Campbell - Proven, got it done at UT and now IS
2. Norvell - Not as proven, but sure has made UM relevant
3. Frost - Agree about UN, but why not try?

Pork Ranger

Quote from: online-with-swine on October 22, 2017, 08:12:26 am
I like Campbell but wonder about recruiting here.  Most of his time coaching has been in the rust belt.  But, the man can coach.

I don't much care about the HCs recruiting abilities, staff can do that mostly. Could start by retaining M Smith

apcapri

online-with-swine

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 22, 2017, 08:17:39 am
I don't much care about the HCs recruiting abilities, staff can do that mostly. Could start by retaining M Smith

Smith would be the only coach I'd like to see retained.  Maybe Lunney but I think he needs to spread his wings a bit if he wants to move up in the coaching world.  Lunney may be a great head coach some day.

parallaxpig

noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

shown006

WPS!

rzrbackramsfan

parallaxpig

Quote from: shown006 on October 22, 2017, 09:59:33 am
1.  Mike Norvell
2.  Mike Norvell
3.  Mike Norvell

Are you the one who changed his Wiki page to Head coach at University of Arkansas

Mike Norvell
Sport(s)   Football
Current position
Title   Head coach
Team   Arkansas Razorbacks
Conference   American Athletic Conference
Record   14–6
Annual salary   $1.86 Million + Incentives (runs through 2021)[1]
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

jcul28

1. Campbell

2. Venables

3. Norvell

On the brink:

Moorhead
Brown
Anderson
Morris

Paul

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

SemperFi

1. Brent Venables - great defensive mind
2. Jeremy Pruitt - Alabama's DC. The defense is probably playing better than ever.
3. Mike Norvell - knows Arkansas and continues to transform Memphis
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ChicoHog

Quote from: IronHog on October 22, 2017, 08:11:27 am
Gus, BP, Leech
We want top 3, not bottom 3.  You want to add John L. Smith and Jack Crowe to your list?

ChicoHog

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on October 22, 2017, 08:17:39 am
Wrong.  HC is the closer. Ask Swinney, Meyer and Saban.  They are the best recruiters on their staff and in the country. 

Iwastherein1969

Let's see..1) Bert, 2) Jen, and 3)Tons of Fun, aka Kurt Anderson   and WHY, because they know how to rock a pool party
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChicoHog

pigmania

1). Mickey Mouse
2). Donald Duck
3). Mulan

These 3 are just as likely to be successful as some of the names listed above. It's a sad day when an SEC West school has to resort to mid major or Div II coaches as possible candidates. Arkansas, Vanderbilt and Missouri have no business being in the SEC.

gawntrail

We need a HC that is defense minded.  We need the overwhelming majority of focus on bringing in local, regional, and national recruits to that side of the ball.  Defense, Defense, Defense.  Then we can cycle OCs in to run some variation of the spread to keep that side of the ball exciting.  The stronger the defense, the better your record.  You only need the offense to score 1 more point.  You always need the defense to blank the opposition.

That would also solve a few other problems at the same time.  Speed, aggression, team continuity, and swagger.

Whomever we play, win or lose, they will know they were in a brawl come Sunday morning.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: gawntrail on October 22, 2017, 11:55:13 am
We need a HC that is defense minded.  We need the overwhelming majority of focus on bringing in local, regional, and national recruits to that side of the ball.  Defense, Defense, Defense.  Then we can cycle OCs in to run some variation of the spread to keep that side of the ball exciting.  The stronger the defense, the better your record.  You only need the offense to score 1 more point.  You always need the defense to blank the opposition.

That would also solve a few other problems at the same time.  Speed, aggression, team continuity, and swagger.

Whomever we play, win or lose, they will know they were in a brawl come Sunday morning.
what you want is a coach like JFB who used to put most of his best athletes on defense ?  Sounds like a plan that's worked before and will work again...I'm in
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChicoHog

Quote from: gawntrail on October 22, 2017, 11:55:13 am

Agree.  Forget the offense minded trendy guy who will lose 55-40 every week.  Defense is all about recruiting athletes.  Ask Gary Patterson.   One of the reasons I would like Brent Venables.  He is a good recruiter and obviously a good DC.  Regardless who it is they must be a relentless recruiter. 

King Kong

GoHogs1091

Need to hire an excellent recruiter.

Steve Spurrier stated when he resigned from South Carolina that college football has become nothing but a recruiting game.

The needing an excellent recruiter really leaves only the following as the best options.

Brent Venables
Chad Morris
Butch Davis

hhousewps

I don't understand why people are so high on Norville. He has zero experience rebuilding a program, Fuente left Memphis in a great spot.

So I realize this is a pipe dream, but I'd give Justin Fuente a call. He was the one actually responsible for rebuilding Memphis. He has continued his success at VT, taking a team that was mediocre (in recent history) under Frank Beamer to a ACC championship appearance his first year on the job. His team battled back against Clemson in the ACC Championship and had a chance at the end of the game to tie it up (42-35 Final). We all saw what he did to us in the Belk Bowl. In two big-time games, he showed he has what it takes to make adjustments to give his team a chance to win. Something Bret has NEVER shown even in regular season games.

Not to mention he has ties in Texas and Oklahoma two states Arkansas has historically had to recruit well in to have success.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: online-with-swine on October 22, 2017, 08:05:57 am
1.  Morris.  Great offensive mind with wide open offense to appeal to the recruits.  Will be able to recruit Texas. 
2.  Norvell.  See above.  Offense is exciting.  Has personal connection to the area and may be most likely to come here.
3.  Brohm.  Another offense oriented coach.  Has done great at traditional cellar dweller Purdue.  Fear for him is recruiting ties to the south and Texas.

Left off Frost because I think he holds out for Nebraska.
Left off Leach because I think we need to go younger and doubt he would want another rebuild.

Morris recruited and landed Deshaun Watson to Clemson.  When the following link loads, scroll down to see who was trying to get Watson.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/deshaun-watson-642

It was simply a magnificent recruiting job by Morris.  He landed Watson early, and Morris kept other schools from flipping Watson.

HogTakes

1) Chip Kelly
2) Lane Kiffin
3) Charlie Strong
Invisible 4th) Scott Frost

TX HOG

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 22, 2017, 08:54:56 pm
Morris recruited and landed Deshaun Watson to Clemson.  When the following link loads, scroll down to see who was trying to get Watson.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/deshaun-watson-642

It was simply a magnificent recruiting job by Morris.  He landed Watson early, and Morris kept other schools from flipping Watson.

Chad and Traylor would recruit the heck out of Texas, this is almost a guarantee. 

jgphillips3

In no particular order: Norvell, Brohm, Campbell and Frost.

texas tush hog

5 little pigs

Pork Twain

Gus - He couldn't get it done with three times the talent we have, but Arkansas

Miles - He couldn't get it done with four times the talent we have, but corndogs

Kiffin - He couldn't get it done with four times the talent we have, but his wife
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hogball58

PossumFan

Quote from: hhousewps on October 22, 2017, 08:41:36 pm
I don't understand why people are so high on Norville. He has zero experience rebuilding a program, Fuente left Memphis in a great spot.

So I realize this is a pipe dream, but I'd give Justin Fuente a call. He was the one actually responsible for rebuilding Memphis. He has continued his success at VT, taking a team that was mediocre (in recent history) under Frank Beamer to a ACC championship appearance his first year on the job. His team battled back against Clemson in the ACC Championship and had a chance at the end of the game to tie it up (42-35 Final). We all saw what he did to us in the Belk Bowl. In two big-time games, he showed he has what it takes to make adjustments to give his team a chance to win. Something Bret has NEVER shown even in regular season games.

Not to mention he has ties in Texas and Oklahoma two states Arkansas has historically had to recruit well in to have success.

As both a Hog lover and a Hokie hater, it pains me to say this: Virginia Tech is a better job. He'd be nuts to leave Bleaksburg to try to put out this dumpster fire.

Michael_E_Davis

October 22, 2017, 10:33:24 pm #41 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:49:27 pm by Michael_E_Davis
Mike Gundy. 
Lane Giffin
Mike Leach

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Stewhog 11

Quote from: hhousewps on October 22, 2017, 08:41:36 pm

"Les Miles only won his national title because of Saban's players"
"Bielema was only successful at Wisconsin because of Alvarez"

Coaches are always being criticized for not actually building programs from the ground up, or reaping rewards from previous coaches. But for some reason Mike Norvell is the most popular name on here. He may end up being a good coach, but he hasn't proven it yet.

secfan30

Leach
Kiffin
Norvell

Exciting offenses who could possibly help us close the talent gap with the style they play.

The Boar War

Quote from: TX HOG on October 22, 2017, 10:05:43 pm
Chad and Traylor would recruit the heck out of Texas, this is almost a guarantee. 

Probably one of the main reasons why Morris would stay in Texas.  If recruiting Texas high schools is one of his attributes why would he move somewhere where it would lessen his ability?

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: North hog on October 22, 2017, 08:17:27 am
1. Campbell - Proven, got it done at UT and now IS
2. Norvell - Not as proven, but sure has made UM relevant
3. Frost - Agree about UN, but why not try?

Norvell didn't make Memphis relevant Justin Fuente did. Norvell just took the reigns there and he really has no history otherwise. This is why I'm having a hard time understanding all the Norvell love. I think a lot of it is probably just people parroting what they've heard others say. There's also the people who get starry eyed over whoever the latest flash in the pan is. I also get that he's an Arkansas guy but that doesn't warrant glossing over a short resume.

Norvell could be the real deal. My point is we just don't know. There's no reason to promote a mid major coach without a clear history of program development and success.

Hawghiggs

1, Mike Bobo. Had not given to much attention to him before. But his ability to recruit to Colorado state is something to take note of.  He's an offensive minded coach that has solid connections to the south.  At only 43. He has plenty yet to prove.

2, Chad Morris.  He hasn't won much as a headcoach. But his offensive style and his connections to the state of Texas would be a welcomed sight.

3,  Mark Hudspeth.  He has a history as a program builder at both North Alabama and ULL. He's well like in Louisiana and has had the Rajun Cajuns headed in the right direction for awhile.

I'd like to add two assistant coaches that I feel would be huge gets.

1st,  Tony Hull. Running backs coach at Kansas.  He's easily their best recruiter. He's well connected in the state of Louisiana.

2nd,  Sean Kugler. Former UTEP headcoach that is known as a solid O-line coach.

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 22, 2017, 10:48:55 pm
Norvell didn't make Memphis relevant Justin Fuente did. Norvell just took the reigns there and he really has no history otherwise. This is why I'm having a hard time understanding all the Norvell love. I think a lot of it is probably just people parroting what they've heard others say. There's also the people who get starry eyed over whoever the latest flash in the pan is. I also get that he's an Arkansas guy but that doesn't warrant glossing over a short resume.

Norvell could be the real deal. My point is we just don't know. There's no reason to promote a mid major coach without a clear history of program development and success.

BB had a great resume, we see how that's turned out.

Norvell, while not my first choice, would def be top three on the list and we could do much worse.

Yes he inherited a good situation, thanks to Fuente, but he hasn't missed a beat there.

He's a good coach, and one that won't be available for long.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

CDBHawg

Head Coaches -

PJ Fleck - we can dream, right?
Mike Norvell
Chad Morris
Matt Campbell
Bryan Harsin
Major Applewhite

Coordinators -

Tee Martin
Walt Bell
Sonny Cumbie
Brent Venables
Jeremy Pruitt

Ironhawg

October 22, 2017, 11:35:15 pm #49 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:01:05 am by Ironhawg
Brent Venables, Jeremy Pruitt, Dave Aranda.  Defense, defense, defense.

Arkansas in the SEC West is a tough job.  I'm afraid that Bielema's run here has made it even less attractive.  I figure we're going to have to go with either an up-and-coming young head coach or a coordinator, so go with the best defensive mind you can hire.  Let him build the defense first and bring in a good young OC to run his offense.