Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here's an analysis we can all get excited about

Started by tigerinhogtown, August 14, 2017, 07:09:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerinhogtown

http://www.cfbanalytics.com/predictions.php

Change that Bama outcome and they have AR & Mizzou playing in the SEC championship 2 weeks after the matchup in Fayetteville (yes, they have Mizzou at 11-1 with the only lose to AR)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on August 14, 2017, 07:09:44 pm

Change that Bama outcome and they have AR & Mizzou playing in the SEC championship 2 weeks after the matchup in Fayetteville (yes, they have Mizzou at 11-1 with the only lose to AR)

That's pretty close to the scores and point spreads that I had gamed out against each of the P-5 teams but they show the score in the Ole Miss game being a lot closer than I do. I think I had us by 7 vs. Ole Miss.

Now all that said, there are a lot of things that these projections can't take into consideration in advance because some of it has to be based on production from the previous year and as it particularly relates to momentum and the emotional level of teams at any given time, key injuries that may take place over the course of a season that could negatively effect the production of a team, unpredictable key T/O's or big plays at key moments, etc, etc.

So yeah, these things are fun to look at in the pre-season, but you have to wonder how accurate these projections are from one year to the next. I don't know about this site. Do you know how accurate they have been in the past?
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

Wouldn't the sec championship be the next week?

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Headhog32

these predictions are hopeful, anything is possible and I would love to see this outcome!

SugarHillGaHog

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 14, 2017, 07:41:18 pm
these predictions are hopeful, anything is possible and I would love to see this outcome!

I really liked what they predicted for Auburn.

Headhog32

tophawg19

Texas at 4 and 8 with some bad losses . Florida also
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 14, 2017, 08:38:43 pm
Texas at 4 and 8 with some bad losses . Florida also

Just remember, without fresh data for this year, it has to rely to a certain extent on data from last year and then project. I never like saying anything good about Texas but I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Herman has them at 5-0 going into the Red River Rivalry, at least 4-1. I think that Texas as a minimum wins 7 games next season, maybe more. I also don't see Florida only winning 4 games.
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

me either but it was funny. I also don't think Missouri goes 11-1 or Tenn at 10 -2 . . I think this is all BS . Herman at Texas will not lose to Iowa State among others , I think they made a good hire
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Mike_e

Florida may be in real trouble unless they can get some kind of work release deal going.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

longpig

Miss. St. 2-10, OM 10-2.  They buy this pythagorean expectation theorem gadget off Ebay?
Don't be scared, be smart.

davglo35

Texas will only have a good hire if Herman fits in. No matter who Texas hires if they lose a few and get on the bad side of the PTB he will be gone just like several more before him.
Mizzu wont go 11-1 and Texas will win with Herman.

LRHog

If this happens someone needs to build a statue of bielema and call 911 cuz I'll have a heart attack.

lmao at ole miss going 10-2 and miss. st. going 2-10

HamSammich

Texas will win the NC.

I like this article though.

HogFoo

It's a cool site.  I've actually been going thru some games with friends and I had us at 10wins.  This thing has us at 11. Wow.  I mean,  I wasn't planning on talking myself into us having such a good year.   But, when I sat down and looked at it.  U convinced myself..

I figure Austin Allen is gonna be great!  Probably the best QB weve had here in years.  Now, the reason will be( and it ALL is determined by) the OLine making improvements, knowing who to block, and opening up holes.  If we can pass pro, and even just open up a hole every now and then, this team will be great. If we can get any kind of push? This team may be SEC champ quality!    We know Ragnow gonna be a stud. I really believe froholdt has it figured out now. Gibson, wallace, Jackson. Raulerson healthy.  Those guys can do it! I'm taking a leap of faith that Anderson got these guys to figure it out.  TEs, I think CJ will have a great year, I think Patton will as well.  Cantrell is a beast!  RBSwill show biggest improvement with OLine being much better.  Whaley, d.williams, m.williams, hayden, those guys are good! Fbs, are good.  WR , i believe we have as much talent as we had back when joe and jarius were here. Cornelius is a stud. Jordan jones, pettway, dion, Martin a stud, even koilan Jackson and Nance, seriously, we have some serious talent at WR and a QB who can get them the ball!     Our defense will be much better.  Bijohn will thrive in this. He's the perfect tree stump in the middle! Again will be a manchild! Capps,  our DLine will be quite good.  If Dre greenlaw can stay healthy, I think our LBs will be great as well.  I think we'll be able to get some good pressure on QBs! I think pulley will be great, along with Santos!  He's the big hitter we haven't had since Hamlin!   I just have a very good feeling about this team. 

Now i know this is the SEC. But, not all teams will have as good of a QB as we have. Again, I've said it many many times. If our ONline is good, we will have a great year!  I'll stick with 10wins, but, who knows.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

MuskogeeHogFan

Here's how they lay out the entire SEC for the regular season. I'd love to see this, but can't see it happening.

2017 Season

SEC West

ALA    12-0
ARK    11-1
OM     10-2
A&M    8-4
AUB    5-7
LSU    7-5
MSU   2-10

SEC East

MO     11-1
TN      10-2
KY      8-4
GA      6-6
FLA     4-8
VAN    3-9
SC      1-11
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

And here is how this site predicts the ACC will end up during the regular season this year. I'm sure BP fans will be giddy with joy.

ACC

Atlantic

Louisville               12-0
Clemson                11-1
Florida St               8-4
NC State                8-4
Boston Coll             6-6
Wake For               5-7
Syracuse               3-9

Coastal

Miami                    12-0
Georgia Tech          8-4
Va Tech                 7-5
Pittsburgh              7-5
N. Carolina             4-8
Virginia                  3-9
Duke                     1-11
Go Hogs Go!

Razor1997

I hope their data is correct.  11-1 with a 2 point loss to Bama?  I'll take it.

... no, actually I'd probably moan about what might have been if one play would have gone differently in the Bama game.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 15, 2017, 06:10:12 am
Here's how they lay out the entire SEC for the regular season. I'd love to see this, but can't see it happening.

2017 Season

SEC West

ALA    12-0
ARK    11-1
OM     10-2
A&M    8-4
AUB    5-7
LSU    7-5
MSU   2-10

SEC East

MO     11-1
TN      10-2
KY      8-4
GA      6-6
FLA     4-8
VAN    3-9
SC      1-11
sure would be fun times in the SEC forums if it happened
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Michael_E_Davis

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Michael D Huff AIA

I'm not betting on it. 

For instance, Ole Miss is way too good in this analysis given what is going on in Oxford right now.  Auburn is not a sub-.500 team.  USC-e is going to win one game?  One?  Missouri is going to lose one game, to us?  I know Florida is having some issues right now, but not 4-8 type issues.

I'm not so sure.

MJ2

I don't think even Frank would agree with this forecast for '17.

nwahogfan1

Boy wouldn't that be fun. 

For this to happen all the bad luck we have had the last few years would have to turn into good luck.  We would have to get a lot of those lucky hops.  But it could happen.  This is what makes football fun.  Any game that is close in the 4th quarter can be ours.  It first starts with the FB players believing in themselves.   

Go Hogs

Hogopolis

Hogfoo, I agree with you.   I have tried to not get my hopes up but I see a very talented team for Arkansas this year.   AA is fantastic.  The Oline will be better, the WR lack experience but athletically they are the best and deepest group ark has ever had.  Whaley and Hayden will be a great compliment to each other at RB.  On defense, there are NFL players at every level.  Agim, Greenlaw, Pulley.  Harris and Greenlaw at inside LB will keep teams from gashing us up the middle.  Santos is a better than average safety.  Ramsey is an unknown but his length and athleticism could make him the perfect fit in this defense.   I've asked myself over and over,"Hogopolis, what is the #1 reason Arkansas fails to be good this year?"  I've tried to keep my expectations in check.   Arkansas is extremely thin in terms of depth, if Greenlaw and Harris aren't at inside LB, if AA gets hurts, if any of the players on D I listed above gets hurt, another loss in the RB ranks.   Arkansas CANNOT overcome injuries like Alabama.  IF the top 12-15 players remain injury free this team WILL win at least 9 games. 

Hogopolis has spoken, so shall it be!!!!

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 15, 2017, 11:59:27 am
Hogfoo, I agree with you.   I have tried to not get my hopes up but I see a very talented team for Arkansas this year.   AA is fantastic.  The Oline will be better, the WR lack experience but athletically they are the best and deepest group ark has ever had.  Whaley and Hayden will be a great compliment to each other at RB.  On defense, there are NFL players at every level.  Agim, Greenlaw, Pulley. Harris and Greenlaw at inside LB will keep teams from gashing us up the middle.  Santos is a better than average safety.  Ramsey is an unknown but his length and athleticism could make him the perfect fit in this defense.   I've asked myself over and over,"Hogopolis, what is the #1 reason Arkansas fails to be good this year?"  I've tried to keep my expectations in check.   Arkansas is extremely thin in terms of depth, if Greenlaw and Harris aren't at inside LB, if AA gets hurts, if any of the players on D I listed above gets hurt, another loss in the RB ranks.   Arkansas CANNOT overcome injuries like Alabama.  IF the top 12-15 players remain injury free this team WILL win at least 9 games. 

Uh huh.  I don't know why it seems that every year people think the hogs are the only team that are going to improve.  You do realize that every other SEC team is loaded with future NFL players too, right?  And most of them are more highly recruited than ours. And, I hate to break it to you, but they all have quarterbacks too,  many of which are higher rated than AA.  Hopefully we will do good this year,  but we aren't the only team that has improved, and is loaded with players.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

HogFoo

Quote from: Hogopolis on August 15, 2017, 11:59:27 am
Hogfoo, I agree with you.   I have tried to not get my hopes up but I see a very talented team for Arkansas this year.   AA is fantastic.  The Oline will be better, the WR lack experience but athletically they are the best and deepest group ark has ever had.  Whaley and Hayden will be a great compliment to each other at RB.  On defense, there are NFL players at every level.  Agim, Greenlaw, Pulley.  Harris and Greenlaw at inside LB will keep teams from gashing us up the middle.  Santos is a better than average safety.  Ramsey is an unknown but his length and athleticism could make him the perfect fit in this defense.   I've asked myself over and over,"Hogopolis, what is the #1 reason Arkansas fails to be good this year?"  I've tried to keep my expectations in check.   Arkansas is extremely thin in terms of depth, if Greenlaw and Harris aren't at inside LB, if AA gets hurts, if any of the players on D I listed above gets hurt, another loss in the RB ranks.   Arkansas CANNOT overcome injuries like Alabama.  IF the top 12-15 players remain injury free this team WILL win at least 9 games. 

totally agree.    I really wish TJ Hammonds had not got injured. I was counting on him to just be a playmaker at whichever position he lined up as. U first thought we'd have to use him at RB, but with the addition of d.williams, the emergence of M.williams getting here early and practicing spring drills and showing how good he was, then with Hayden coming in and looking like an immediate prospect!  Right now, I have no worries about RB, and am excited about them!  Again, everything depends on the OLine. If we can just get marginal improvement over last season and then just get better as the season goes.  I think we'll still have a great year. 

I think our defense will be good enough to carry the offense until it gells.  If the OLine gells early, like I said, this could be special year.  We may not have the depth that Bama does but our 1st team will be able to compete, and most of 2nd teamers too! 

Agim, jackson, capps, watts, those guys are gonna eat.  Especially Agim and Jackson.  Agim will make all SEC this year! And like u mentioned Hogopolis, If Dre and Harris both stay healthy, defense can be great!  After hearing how Ramirez got into the film room so much off-season. Would be in there as much as DC was, I really think he will be a bighitting playmaker we've not had in years.  His big hitting as witnessed last season will make WRs scared to go over the middle.  Really believe we'll be able to stop those middle routes that killed so much last few seasons. Don't think we'll see those QB runs. There is just no way aTm QB should have got us up the gut like that! Is almost guarantee that sort doesn't happen this year.

Tcu will be an excellent test for us early to see how good our defense is. Very very good test.  I predict we kick TCUs butt! We will be undefeated going to Bama! Dang it, now I can't wait for the season to start!  Crap!  Done it again!

It's ok though.  What does everyone think that with Frank Broyles watching our games from the ultimate "skybox" that our luck in sports starts getting a whole lot better!  :)  #wps

Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

EastexHawg

2017 Season

SEC West

ALA    12-0
ARK    11-1
OM     10-2
A&M    8-4
AUB    5-7
LSU    7-5
MSU   2-10

SEC East

MO     11-1
TN      10-2
KY      8-4
GA      6-6
FLA     4-8
VAN    3-9
SC      1-11

Does anyone have a picture of the hat from which they obviously drew the predictions?

HogFoo

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 15, 2017, 01:12:22 pm
Uh huh.  I don't know why it seems that every year people think the hogs are the only team that are going to improve.  You do realize that every other SEC team is loaded with future NFL players too, right?  And most of them are more highly recruited than ours. And, I hate to break it to you, but they all have quarterbacks too,  many of which are higher rated than AA.  Hopefully we will do good this year,  but we aren't the only team that has improved, and is loaded with players.
well, aTm new QB. Bama same qb, aubbie new QB. Ole piss new I believe, miss 1st same, Lsu qbs all suck. Usc, don't know, mizz same QB.

Ole miss is probably gonna have a few losses before we get to them. They are dumpster fire.   ATm has talent, will be close, but they are breaking in New QB. Toss up. I think hogs win it.  Bama, gonna give it to them.  Aubbie, everything depends on their QB.we all know that.  They do have that transfer from Baylor. So we'll see. We do get them in Fayetteville.  I hope that we can return the azz kicking. Lsu, they had a few troubles, orgeron is not a great coach. Sorry. Not worried about Lsu. Muschamp equally a turd coach. Not worried about him either.  Miss st, will be a tossup, but I believe we have better talent than miss 1st.
Mizz, were gonna kick their azz up and down the field and blow them out by 50pts+! 

That's my summation of the season.

Hogopolis

Hogfoo we agree on everything but one thing.  M. Williams is going to redshirt.    The top three backs are Whaley, David Williams and Chase.  M. Williams won't play unless there is an injury.   Also, TJ will be back by TCU.    Woo Pig!!!   

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

Hoggish1

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 15, 2017, 02:25:37 pm
...and Georgia!
Actually, that was my prediction for them LMAOT

That's crazy, Georgia has too much returning. It's difficult to put a lot of faith in these things.
Go Hogs Go!

nchogg

LJHOG

EastexHawg

Quote from: LJHOG on August 16, 2017, 10:53:38 am
This team will not win 11 games this year.

The Missouri prediction is ridiculous.  They play a very easy schedule, but still.

The only way that prediction could work would be for Missouri to be 11-0 coming into Fayetteville on November 24.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 16, 2017, 01:32:35 pm
The Missouri prediction is ridiculous.  They play a very easy schedule, but still.

The only way that prediction could work would be for Missouri to be 11-0 coming into Fayetteville on November 24.

and I'm sure after having slogged through an SEC-W schedule and some loud mouths on the MO roster, it would not end well for them, regardless of whether they actually win the game.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogcard1964

2017 Season

SEC West

ALA    12-0
ARK    11-1
OM     10-2
A&M    8-4
AUB    5-7
LSU    7-5
MSU   2-10

SEC East

MO     11-1
TN      10-2
KY      8-4
GA      6-6
FLA     4-8
VAN    3-9
SC      1-11

Missouri's going to be .500?

hawganatic

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 15, 2017, 01:12:22 pm

How dare any of us have optimistic expectations or lay any type of praise on our team!!  We're just such horrible fans!!

Just lighten up Francis.  It's right before the season starts.  We're suppose to be optimistic and excited for the season.  Makes that long trek from week 5 to the end when we realize we suck a little easier to bear...

NuttinItUp

Can someone please explain the Pythagorean Expectation Theorem to me and why it likes us so much?

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 14, 2017, 08:46:17 pm
Just remember, without fresh data for this year, it has to rely to a certain extent on data from last year and then project. I never like saying anything good about Texas but I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Herman has them at 5-0 going into the Red River Rivalry, at least 4-1. I think that Texas as a minimum wins 7 games next season, maybe more. I also don't see Florida only winning 4 games.

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 16, 2017, 07:17:51 pm
How does it work with no points scored yet? (the season has not started)

It can't use data that doesn't exist yet. That's why it is nothing more than a projection. No one knows for certain how a team will perform short of every team having every player back, not having changed Position Coaches, Coordinators, HC's, offensive or defensive schemes, etc, and even then how do you take into consideration the level of progress player to player from one season to the next, versus other teams and their upturn or downturns in production considering all of the same factors? That's why all of this information is such a dicey proposition that a lot of people in the wagering community in Vegas and S. America would be willing to pay tens of thousands to obtain, if it were infinitely accurate. As it is, all we can do is "project".
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 07:24:29 pm
It can't use data that doesn't exist yet. That's why it is nothing more than a projection. No one knows for certain how a team will perform short of every team having every player back, not having changed Position Coaches, Coordinators, HC's, offensive or defensive schemes, etc, and even then how do you take into consideration the level of progress player to player from one season to the next, versus other teams and their upturn or downturns in production considering all of the same factors? That's why all of this information is such a dicey proposition that a lot of people in the wagering community in Vegas and S. America would be willing to pay tens of thousands to obtain, if it were infinitely accurate. As it is, all we can do is "project".

I understand that. I am just asking how the formula works. I understand that you can take a team at the end of the season and use points allowed and points scored and plug them into the formula and say this team overperformed or underperformed the amount of wins they would be expected to get based on those numbers.

However, what numbers does one use in the formula to make it predictive? That is the part I don't understand. Where are the numbers coming from to plug into this Pythagorean Expectation Theorem?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 16, 2017, 07:34:16 pm
I understand that. I am just asking how the formula works. I understand that you can take a team at the end of the season and use points allowed and points scored and plug them into the formula and say this team overperformed or underperformed the amount of wins they would be expected to get based on those numbers.

However, what numbers does one use in the formula to make it predictive? That is the part I don't understand. Where are the numbers coming from to plug into this Pythagorean Expectation Theorem?

Look at the link that I gave you, the formula is there, although it is for the NFL, whose results one year to the next year may be more easily predictable because of a steadier team of players. It's a crap shoot really, but they give you the formulas that are used.
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

First off that website is horrible

Secondly.

The guy was on Bo's show today. He kind of tried to make it sound all complicated but at the end he basically said that 6 of those games the hogs are favored by just a point or a little more and were essentially toss ups. Taking all that into account with probabilities of outcomes he said if has the hogs in the 6 to 8 win range.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on August 16, 2017, 07:44:25 pm
First off that website is horrible

Secondly.

The guy was on Bo's show today. He kind of tried to make it sound all complicated but at the end he basically said that 6 of those games the hogs are favored by just a point or a little more and were essentially toss ups. Taking all that into account with probabilities of outcomes he said if has the hogs in the 6 to 8 win range.

Well yeah, no one is going to stick their neck out for the Hogs and he was right in terms of those projections that are within 1-2-3 points of a win or loss. But please tell me that you weren't seriously investing any faith in that predictor? Show me one serious prognosticator that is predicting more than 6-7 wins for the Hogs? No one is making a serious prediction or sticking their necks out. No one wants to eat crow by predicting more and then the team achieves less. It's far easier if a team achieves more than projected to be able to proclaim them the, "miracle team", "who would have thought it?", and everyone in the national Media nods, "yes indeed".
Go Hogs Go!

rhames

August 16, 2017, 08:29:35 pm #49 Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:39:51 pm by rhames
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 16, 2017, 08:00:15 pm
Well yeah, no one is going to stick their neck out for the Hogs and he was right in terms of those projections that are within 1-2-3 points of a win or loss. But please tell me that you weren't seriously investing any faith in that predictor? Show me one serious prognosticator that is predicting more than 6-7 wins for the Hogs? No one is making a serious prediction or sticking their necks out. No one wants to eat crow by predicting more and then the team achieves less. It's far easier if a team achieves more than projected to be able to proclaim them the, "miracle team", "who would have thought it?", and everyone in the national Media nods, "yes indeed".

I mean he was just explaining what the numbers were actually showing.  If he came up with this method that actually predicted the hogs go 11-1 wouldn't he stick to it? I mean it's his website. He was basically explaining what's most likely to happen.

People are predicting arkansas to win 6 or 7 because that's probably what they will do. people aren't being "safe."  No one would truly give 2 craps if someone in the media predicted the hogs to win to 10 plus and then they didn't. That's how it goes.

Face it, most likely this is a 6 to 7 win team. At this point they have done nothing to prove other wise. I hope they exceed expectations and think they have a chance to but dude you are clinging to that argument of "people are just being safe." I mean whatever helps you sleep at night.

And no. I didn't ever put serious faith in this. I LITERALLY Laughed out loud when I saw it on Monday. Then thought it was funny Bo had him on his show.  I thought I would just bring what he said.

ESPN FPI "that is stupid dumb numbers that don't mean nuffen.  ESPN hates us" - hogville

Random crapph website that says hogs could win 11 "That's the best math I've ever seen. I have similar calculations. This guy gets it. He is the next Isaac Newton " - also hogville

In sad reality both indexes are saying 6-8 wins.