Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Enos

Started by hawgtime, April 24, 2017, 12:09:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgtime

I don't know how it happened, but I believe that we dodged a bullet in not losing Enos.  he is the continuity that we need for this offense.  Now, grab some explosive offensive players and let's take some pressure off of the QB, RB and defense.

Go hogs!

hogcard1964

I agree

He's a future head coach.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Paul

we should enjoy him while he's here...won't be long

go hogues

Quote from: hawgtime on April 24, 2017, 12:09:55 pm
I don't know how it happened, but I believe that we dodged a bullet in not losing Enos.  he is the continuity that we need for this offense.  Now, grab some explosive offensive players and let's take some pressure off of the QB, RB and defense.

Go hogs!
It definitely surprised me that we were fortunate enough to hang on to him after this past season. I figured he'd cash in his chips after the last round of receivers left, especially with who we have coming in to fill their shoes.
Every year we can keep him will be a bonus but there's no doubt he'll be a HC again somewhere sooner rather than later.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Seebs

He may be out next head coach.  Yeah, I went there.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Hey Super

Quote from: go hogues on April 24, 2017, 12:54:56 pm
It definitely surprised me that we were fortunate enough to hang on to him after this past season. I figured he'd cash in his chips after the last round of receivers left, especially with who we have coming in to fill their shoes.
Every year we can keep him will be a bonus but there's no doubt he'll be a HC again somewhere sooner rather than later.

Are you saying that this new group of WR's are not as promising as the last group? Just curious.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

gchamblee

Quote from: Seebs on April 24, 2017, 01:08:26 pm

This has crossed my mind as well

ricepig

Quote from: Royal Fortune on April 24, 2017, 01:12:53 pm
Are you saying that this new group of WR's are not as promising as the last group? Just curious.

He's probably saying they have to prove it. On paper, we have better speed and talent, now it has to produce.

hawganatic

Or maybe he didn't "cash in his chips" BECAUSE of who we have coming to fill their shoes.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Seebs on April 24, 2017, 01:08:26 pm

+1000

MuskogeeHogFan

Ehh, you know we have some pretty good receivers though they don't have SEC level experience yet. Doesn't mean that they can't produce. I actually expect this group to be more productive than the last. And let's not forget that backfield, if they can stay healthy. What OC wouldn't love to have two 1,000+ yard rushers in their offense and perhaps another that gains 300-500 yards? Plus an experienced QB, at least a couple of solid TE's and WR's who have better speed overall than the last group, plus an offensive line that has improved?

He may be holding out for a better HC'ing job than the G-5 can offer and this offense may provide him with that opportunity. And if Rhoads can get the defense to just be average, I'd say someone makes a serious run at Enos after the 2017 season.
Go Hogs Go!

King Kong

Love me som Enos as well. I'm a huge prostyle fans. Especially ones that can effectively pass like CBP; Enos and Jimbo

HiggiePiggy

The question is does he want to be a head coach again?  Some people are happier being at a lower spot after being a head coach before.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogHomer

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 24, 2017, 02:31:24 pm
The question is does he want to be a head coach again?  Some people are happier being at a lower spot after being a head coach before.
I think he does but it has to be the right situation that he believe he will succeed in. Whether that be down the line when/if Bret leaves and depending on  how he leaves or another P5 school. He just has the mannerisms of a head coach and the way he takes lead with the Offense you can just tell he has it.

We are very fortunate

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MuskogeeHogFan

By the way, I'd love to see us have another helmet-buster, face mask-smasher like Kiero Small at FB. That little guy brought the hammer.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Enos made $375,000 in his fifth year as head coach at Central Michigan. He'll make $800,000 this year at Arkansas. That's more than about 35 FBS head coaches. 

When Enos left Central Michigan he told his team he needed to do what was best for his family. It was all about money.  That's why most of us work.  Why should football coaches be any different?

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

nchogg

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 24, 2017, 03:06:12 pm
Enos made $375,000 in his fifth year as head coach at Central Michigan. He'll make $800,000 this year at Arkansas. That's more than about 35 FBS head coaches. 

When Enos left Central Michigan he told his team he needed to do what was best for his family. It was all about money.  That's why most of us work.  Why should football coaches be any different?
There are also coaches with young children that want to stay in a location that gives stability to their family and they look at the pros and cons of a different location. Coach Enos has said his family is happy here. What do I know!

Hog Fan...DOH!

What he did last year with a patchwork Oline, first year starting QB, and inexperienced RBs was amazing. 

Mike_e

Quote from: nchogg on April 24, 2017, 04:13:26 pm
There are also coaches with young children that want to stay in a location that gives stability to their family and they look at the pros and cons of a different location. Coach Enos has said his family is happy here. What do I know!

This.  Fayetteville is recognized as one of the best places to live in the USA.  This may not mean much to a prospective recruit but for an adult it is important.

Also that $800K will stretch further there than many places.  Add to that a (likely) hotbed of investment opportunities and staying up there for an extended period of time really makes sense.

I don't know the guy and being a head coach of a D1 program might have been on his bucket list but there seem to be a LOT of headaches with being a head coach a sane man just doesn't need and he may not any longer.

So, addition by subtraction, making less and a higher quality of life might just be the better deal for him.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike_e on April 24, 2017, 04:38:05 pm
This.  Fayetteville is recognized as one of the best places to live in the USA.  This may not mean much to a prospective recruit but for an adult it is important.

Also that $800K will stretch further there than many places.  Add to that a (likely) hotbed of investment opportunities and staying up there for an extended period of time really makes sense.

I don't know the guy and being a head coach of a D1 program might have been on his bucket list but there seem to be a LOT of headaches with being a head coach a sane man just doesn't need and he may not any longer.

So, addition by subtraction, making less and a higher quality of life might just be the better deal for him.

I don't know but they work almost the same hours as the HC (maybe slightly less) and while they may not have responsibility for the entire team, their fate is tied directly to the performance of the entire team and the success of the HC. If he doesn't succeed, they lose their jobs, or leave before he does for another. And I think that most Coordinators aspire to become HC's, even if they have been HC's previously.

There may be a few who have no desire to become or return to being a HC but I would think there are fewer of them rather than more.
Go Hogs Go!

Paul

like Bud Foster at VaTech...we can only hope

The Kig

Combination of things make his trip to NWA worthwhile... better money, quality of life, etc. 

What I also believe is that his plan is to parlay his trip to the SEC into a top flight coaching gig, not just any HC gig that shows him some leg.  There were several big jobs last year, but it may have been a smidge early for some of those programs to give him the nod. 

This will be the telltale year, IMO.  If he is able to field yet another highly effective offense, we could probably lose him if the right job is also open.  I just hope Sumlin hangs on long enough that we don't have to face Enos in College Station.   Also hope Coach Waterboy keeps the cajuns happy for a couple of years.  Enos deserves a great job and will get it... prefer it not to be somewhere in the SEC-W.
Poker Porker

bennyl08

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 24, 2017, 03:06:12 pm

Probably realistic, but depressing nonetheless. Only working for the money?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ARtillahog

Quote from: The Kig on April 24, 2017, 05:40:10 pm
Combination of things make his trip to NWA worthwhile... better money, quality of life, etc. 

What I also believe is that his plan is to parlay his trip to the SEC into a top flight coaching gig, not just any HC gig that shows him some leg.  There were several big jobs last year, but it may have been a smidge early for some of those programs to give him the nod. 

This will be the telltale year, IMO.  If he is able to field yet another highly effective offense, we could probably lose him if the right job is also open.  I just hope Sumlin hangs on long enough that we don't have to face Enos in College Station.   Also hope Coach Waterboy keeps the cajuns happy for a couple of years.  Enos deserves a great job and will get it... prefer it not to be somewhere in the SEC-W.

I think he has a SEC No-compete clause. So it wouldn't be in the SEC other than Arkansas.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ARtillahog on April 24, 2017, 06:53:22 pm
I think he has a SEC No-compete clause. So it wouldn't be in the SEC other than Arkansas.
He can take a HC job in the SEC.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 24, 2017, 07:48:25 pm
He can take a HC job in the SEC.

That's my understanding as well
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 24, 2017, 06:45:00 pm
Probably realistic, but depressing nonetheless. Only working for the money?

Really? 

Let's say you love working on diesel engines.  You make $375,000/yr. as the owner of a diesel engine repair shop in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.  JB Hunt offers you $725,000/yr. to manage it's diesel engine repair shop.

Would you rather own your own small shop or make twice the money managing a bigger one? 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

The Hawg Marshal

Glad to have Coach Enos. Hope we keep him a while , but I'm realistic. He will eventually get an offer he can't refuse.

bennyl08

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 24, 2017, 10:12:12 pm
Really? 

Let's say you love working on diesel engines.  You make $375,000/yr. as the owner of a diesel engine repair shop in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.  JB Hunt offers you $725,000/yr. to manage it's diesel engine repair shop.

Would you rather own your own small shop or make twice the money managing a bigger one?

If I was happy running my own shop (wouldn't consider it small at that salary) and I would be less happy at the JB Hunt job, I'd turn it down easily. I wouldn't be able to spend 375k a year if I tried. I made 25k this past year pre taxes and still was able to add an extra 5k to my savings. If I was making 375k a year, I'd probably only work for 10 years and then do whatever the heck I wanted for the rest of my life, which in this scenario would probably include working on diesel engines in whatever way I find most enjoyable.

I'd much rather make 40-50k a year as a full time researcher somewhere than 100k as an accountant. Doesn't take a lot of money for me to be happy and enjoy life.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on April 24, 2017, 04:26:14 pm
What he did last year with a patchwork Oline, first year starting QB, and inexperienced RBs was amazing. 

And in the same breath people will piss all over CBB for THE EXACT SAME RESULTS.!!!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

The Kig

Quote from: ARtillahog on April 24, 2017, 06:53:22 pm

My understanding is that it can't be a lateral move.  He can take a promotion anywhere, at any time...no contract worth the paper it's printed on would prevent promotion.
Poker Porker

1highhog

Quote from: Mike_e on April 24, 2017, 04:38:05 pm

To keep Enos, it won't be long that the Hogs will be having to pay him a million to stick around, I know that's crazy talk, but there's now quite a few assistants that make that kind of "crazy talk" money.  A million dollars and living in one of the most beautiful areas of the country where you can get more bang for your buck can be very enticing.  Coach Enos might be thinking along these lines.  Not having the headache of being "The Man", and making 7 figures, I'd take that 8 days a week.

King Kong

Quote from: 1highhog on April 25, 2017, 06:15:56 am
To keep Enos, it won't be long that the Hogs will be having to pay him a million to stick around, I know that's crazy talk, but there's now quite a few assistants that make that kind of "crazy talk" money.  A million dollars and living in one of the most beautiful areas of the country where you can get more bang for your buck can be very enticing.  Coach Enos might be thinking along these lines.  Not having the headache of being "The Man", and making 7 figures, I'd take that 8 days a week.

Well, that's the beauty of his contract. 90% of the jobs in college football that can pay him more he can't sign with because the SEC pays the most by far. A high amount of the other 10% don't run prostyle offensives.

nwahogfan1

Enos is a good coach but you guys do remember he was a signal caller in our last 2 loses when we did nothing on offense in the 2nd half.  Nothing.  So let's hope we get that corrected.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 25, 2017, 06:45:25 am
Enos is a good coach but you guys do remember he was a signal caller in our last 2 loses when we did nothing on offense in the 2nd half.  Nothing.  So let's hope we get that corrected.

You know, what you say is true, he was calling the plays but he can't play and he can't actually throw the football in games. Let's have a little reminder of what helped contribute to our last two losses.

Vs. Missouri
1st and Goal at Missouri 8 yard line. Run for no gain, run for 5 yards, thrown INT to kill drive at Missouri 3 yard line.
1st and Goal at Missouri 4 yard line. Run for 3 yards, run for -1 yard, run for -3 yards, thrown INT to kill drive.
1st and Goal at Missouri 9 yard line. Incomplete/holding penalty, completion for -1 yard, incompletion, incompletion, sack for 17 yards, intentional grounding.

Vs. Va Tech
3rd and 19 at Ark 16, completion for 14 yards, fumble, recovered by VT, 3 plays later VT scores 7.
3rd and 10 at Ark 33. Thrown INT at Ark 44. 6 plays later, VT scores another 7.
1st and 10 at our own 16. Thrown INT returned to our 5 yard line. 1 play and VT scores 7 more.
3rd and 17 at our own 17. Thrown INT returned to our 8 yard line. 2 plays later, VT scores 7 more.

He can call the plays but someone has to execute on the field.
Go Hogs Go!

prattville pig

Mich. St. job, when and if it opens up
Life's too short to last long.

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 25, 2017, 07:01:36 am
You know, what you say is true, he was calling the plays but he can't play and he can't actually throw the football in games. Let's have a little reminder of what helped contribute to our last two losses.

Vs. Missouri
1st and Goal at Missouri 8 yard line. Run for no gain, run for 5 yards, thrown INT to kill drive at Missouri 3 yard line.
1st and Goal at Missouri 4 yard line. Run for 3 yards, run for -1 yard, run for -3 yards, thrown INT to kill drive.
1st and Goal at Missouri 9 yard line. Incomplete/holding penalty, completion for -1 yard, incompletion, incompletion, sack for 17 yards, intentional grounding.

Vs. Va Tech
3rd and 19 at Ark 16, completion for 14 yards, fumble, recovered by VT, 3 plays later VT scores 7.
3rd and 10 at Ark 33. Thrown INT at Ark 44. 6 plays later, VT scores another 7.
1st and 10 at our own 16. Thrown INT returned to our 5 yard line. 1 play and VT scores 7 more.
3rd and 17 at our own 17. Thrown INT returned to our 8 yard line. 2 plays later, VT scores 7 more.

He can call the plays but someone has to execute on the field.

He also called the play that caused Drew to fumble deep in VT Territory

nchogg

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 07:33:28 am
When does a Coach cause a fumble. Please explain?

factchecker

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 07:33:28 am

Or Sprinkle dropping a perfectly placed pass on the last drive vs. Mizzou.

1:46:30

It would have been a tough catch but if it's made then there is a good chance that we win that game-----depending on the defense.

But you can't blame the game on one play.  There was a lot that went wrong to cause that loss.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

onebadrubi

Quote from: nchogg on April 25, 2017, 07:50:25 am

Man that was sarcasm at its finest for someone blame my the collapse on Enos.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: factchecker on April 25, 2017, 07:55:53 am

It would have been a tough catch but if it's made then there is a good chance that we win that game-----depending on the defense.

But you can't blame the game on one play.  There was a lot that went wrong to cause that loss.

True, but those drives I listed above, if punched into the EZ, would have absolutely changed the outcome. 3 times inside their 10 and zero points. 3 FG's, we still win. Vs. Va Tech, we literally handed them 28 of their 35 points and we left points on the field.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: nchogg on April 25, 2017, 07:50:25 am

hogcard1964

Quote from: factchecker on April 25, 2017, 07:55:53 am

We should have won that game by 21+.

I suspect some Universities are looking at Enos and if they have an issue, its likely the overall win/loss record and the not closing out teams with the offense going to near zero in the second halves of the two ugly losses we had. 

Many administrators with blame the coordinators for those type losses.  Also Enos may believe in the 5th year expected success and the fact this is his 3rd year.  I have said all along that I believe this will be a decent year.  I expect BB to coach his rear off and therefore, so goes the coordinators and assistants.  It seems to me that Enos may have his best opportunity to move up following this year. 

If  BB decides to move on, I would expect Enos to be the frontrunner to replace him.  I just don't see BB as being ready to leave yet.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 25, 2017, 10:03:19 am
We should have won that game by 21+.

I thought the same thing until I saw how much faster their receivers were than our CB's. Once that was established, I knew we were in trouble. The thing I found most shocking about that game, was the realization that they should have won more games than they did. Their receivers were fast as darn and their QB is a gamer.

hawganatic

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 10:39:21 am
I thought the same thing until I saw how much faster their receivers were than our CB's. Once that was established, I knew we were in trouble. The thing I found most shocking about that game, was the realization that they should have won more games than they did. Their receivers were fast as darn and their QB is a gamer.

It was a bad matchup for us.  Our weakness played into their strength, their coaching staff exploited it, and we didn't adjust.

I don't think they should have won more games.  Just a bad game all around for us.

goodguytex

I'm always going to be feeling good and confident in our QB, development with Enos as our OC.  I hope we keep him for a very long time to come.  Hopefully we see very successful Hog football while he's here. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on April 25, 2017, 10:39:21 am

Their QB is really good.  REALLY good.