Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jucos Returning

Started by thehill1414, March 19, 2017, 09:44:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 11:25:02 am
Nope, he could have gone straight out of high school. Your point being...

His point, very clearly, is that the culture was very different then. NBA teams were not investing nearly as heavily into younger players. The mid '90s were the final years of the NBA preferring upperclassmen. Corliss could have entered the NBA out of high school. So could have Jordan, Barkley, Ewing, etc. but the fact still remains that there was a pretty big gap between HS seniors being drafted when Garnett was drafted in 1995. The times were different. That's the point. Garnett and Kobe changed things.

HamIAm

Quote from: HF#1 on March 20, 2017, 09:27:48 am
When asked directly Macon replied "no comment". I expect both to stay but you never know who is giving these kids advice and whether or not they will listen to the proper advice.

Macon also said, paraphrasing, "why are you asking me this?  We just finished a tough loss and you are wanting comments on that?"

In other words Macon has been focused on the season.  He hasn't been spending a lot of time on what he will do next year, but the press wanted a statement right then.  That's not a fair question to Macon.

phadedhawg

Quote from: Sportster365 on March 21, 2017, 02:12:50 pm
If they weren't anywhere near good enough to leave, then there definitely wouldn't be this much discussion going on about it all.

Maybe...but not necessarily.  Arkansas has a history of losing player eligibility when the wrong player leaves school at the wrong time.  Heck it probably happens to all schools but there is a long list of kids who played for us and left too soon and didn't make it to the NBA.

I think our fan base just kinda expects it to happen now.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 21, 2017, 02:37:19 pm
Please tell me he really didn't write that?

A possible interpretation could be that he's saying "we gone", as in, from the tournament. The "be back" part is a akin to a note posted on a closed business notifying you of an unexpected departure from which they will return soon. (to the tournament in this case).  ;)

I think the "We Hogs" is self explanatory.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hogcard1964

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 21, 2017, 02:52:13 pm
A possible interpretation could be that he's saying "we gone", as in, from the tournament. The "be back" part is a akin to a note posted on a closed business notifying you of an unexpected departure from which they will return soon. (to the tournament in this case).  ;)

I think the "We Hogs" is self explanatory.

Conjugation.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Sportster365 on March 21, 2017, 02:12:50 pm
If they weren't anywhere near good enough to leave, then there definitely wouldn't be this much discussion going on about it all.
It's an Arkansas and hogville thing. That's all.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

March 21, 2017, 04:04:42 pm #107 Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:11:45 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Hawg Red on March 21, 2017, 02:22:35 pm
His point, very clearly, is that the culture was very different then. NBA teams were not investing nearly as heavily into younger players. The mid '90s were the final years of the NBA preferring upperclassmen. Corliss could have entered the NBA out of high school. So could have Jordan, Barkley, Ewing, etc. but the fact still remains that there was a pretty big gap between HS seniors being drafted when Garnett was drafted in 1995. The times were different. That's the point. Garnett and Kobe changed things.
No doubt it's a different time. More money involved. I'm just saying there is nothing wrong with staying in school and getting your degree or getting an extra year of seasoning if your not projected in the lottery or the 1st round of the upcoming draft. Or to be drafted at all. As a matter of fact it's the smart thing to do depending on your situation I guess.

Fayettetopia

It means "we are gonna" (We gon' be back).

20gauge

Isnt there supposed to be a semi pro league starting up in the US. Salaries starting in the low six figures?

Temprees

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 21, 2017, 02:35:54 pm
Maybe...but not necessarily.  Arkansas has a history of losing player eligibility when the wrong player leaves school at the wrong time.  Heck it probably happens to all schools but there is a long list of kids who played for us and left too soon and didn't make it to the NBA.

I think our fan base just kinda expects it to happen now.
I can think of Scotty Thurman, B.J. Young, Powell, Michael Qualls, and who else?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Temprees on March 21, 2017, 06:08:37 pm
I can think of Scotty Thurman, B.J. Young, Powell, Michael Qualls, and who else?

Darnell Robinson, Olu Famutimi, Fortson

phadedhawg

I was the most stunned by Scottie Thurman.  Granted I was younger and all these men were heroes in my eyes.  Watching how silky smooth he was on the court anybody wanna offer the reason he didn't get drafted?  Not enough muscle or quickness? 

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 21, 2017, 06:24:07 pm
Darnell Robinson, Olu Famutimi, Fortson

Darnell Robinson actually did play in the NBA for a while and Courtney Fortson knew he was headed over seas when he left Fayetteville.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jry04

Quote from: 20gauge on March 21, 2017, 05:50:03 pm
Isnt there supposed to be a semi pro league starting up in the US. Salaries starting in the low six figures?
Yeah, until the former Hog running it was exposed for the fraud he is.

PonderinHog

Quote from: phadedhawg on March 21, 2017, 06:34:19 pm
I was the most stunned by Scottie Thurman.  Granted I was younger and all these men were heroes in my eyes.  Watching how silky smooth he was on the court anybody wanna offer the reason he didn't get drafted?  Not enough muscle or quickness?
Foot speed, plus he was pigeon-toed. 

rude1

Quote from: GuvHog on March 21, 2017, 06:34:56 pm
Darnell Robinson actually did play in the NBA for a while and Courtney Fortson knew he was headed over seas when he left Fayetteville.
WRONG AGAIN Guv. Darnell Robinson was drafted in the second round by the Dallas Mavericks, but he did NOT play in the NBA.....

Pigasaurus

Speed and not considered NBA level defense if I remember correctly. A lot was timing. If he and Corliss leave after winning NC, he gets drafted. 
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Breems

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 19, 2017, 10:47:11 pm
Or you can get stuck playing for a team whose game checks bounce or they just don't pay you (this really happens). There are basketball teams/leagues all over the world but many leagues or teams are prettt sketchy.

Like Iraq where you hear gunfire and explosions next to the gym:

That video has some interesting stuff and also reinforces that Henderson is nuts.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 04:04:42 pm
No doubt it's a different time. More money involved. I'm just saying there is nothing wrong with staying in school and getting your degree or getting an extra year or seasoning if your not projected in the lottery or the 1st round of the upcoming draft. Or to be drafted at all. As a matter of fact it's the smart thing to do depending on your situation I guess.

I don't think there is anything wrong with players like Qualls, Barford, etc. staying in school for 4 years because they're fringe NBA prospects, so being developed and prepared is to their advantage. For players like Portis, Robert Williams, etc. that are guaranteed first round picks, I think they really risk a lot of if they stay in school past their sophomore season. That's when scouts can tend to really start picking apart their games or building biases against them for whatever reason. So for a perceived "top talent," I think most of them should really be playing 2 years in college instead of just one. Everyone else probably needs to stay 3-4 years. I thought Portis got out at the right time, honestly. Qualls took a big risk and the worst case scenario happened for him. But some guys just don't like school, and that's a factor, too. I think B.J. Young and Fortson were like that.

hogcard1964

+1000

I thought Thurman was a lock to get drafted within the first two rounds.  He had an excellent shot and I thought he would have been a great good sized shooting guard in the NBA.

Hawg Red

I was young, too, but I know that if he was truly good enough, he'd have caught on somewhere, somehow. He just wasn't a special player, as crazy as that may seem. And he couldn't come up with a way to differentiate himself, I suppose. He had a shot with the New Jersey Nets and nothing came of it. 6'6 SG who can hit the 3, there were/are a lot of guys that fit that bill vying for NBA spots. Gotta have more than that in your toolbox to get a real look.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 21, 2017, 09:30:37 pm
Foot speed was the main concern with him. The pigeon toed thing, not sure if that had an affect. Funny though... ;D

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 22, 2017, 06:53:28 am
I don't think there is anything wrong with players like Qualls, Barford, etc. staying in school for 4 years because they're fringe NBA prospects, so being developed and prepared is to their advantage. For players like Portis, Robert Williams, etc. that are guaranteed first round picks, I think they really risk a lot of if they stay in school past their sophomore season. That's when scouts can tend to really start picking apart their games or building biases against them for whatever reason. So for a perceived "top talent," I think most of them should really be playing 2 years in college instead of just one. Everyone else probably needs to stay 3-4 years. I thought Portis got out at the right time, honestly. Qualls took a big risk and the worst case scenario happened for him. But some guys just don't like school, and that's a factor, too. I think B.J. Young and Fortson were like that.
I agree with all of this. Especially the part in bold print. I know I didn't like school and was ready to go make my own money. But if I had to do it over again I would have gone to school. I tell my son that all the time. Sacrifice a few more years and make it as easy as you can on yourself.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 22, 2017, 09:13:58 am
Foot speed was the main concern with him. The pigeon toed thing, not sure if that had an affect. Funny though... ;D
I think it was actually mentioned back then.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: jry04 on March 21, 2017, 06:48:30 pm
Yeah, until the former Hog running it was exposed for the fraud he is.
What former hog?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

azhog10

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 22, 2017, 10:07:09 am
What former hog?
Glendon Alexander? Or should I say Cerruti Brown......lol

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 22, 2017, 09:31:05 am
I think it was actually mentioned back then.
What? That's crazy. He is pigeon toed though. Not sure how much it affects his ability to play basketball though.

phadedhawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 21, 2017, 09:30:37 pm

Now that you say that I do remember the pigeon toe issue being mentioned.  I just forgot. 

Maybe he didn't have the physical attributes to separate him from the pack but he just seemed to understand the game on a high level.  "The Shot" I knew it was going in. 

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: azhog10 on March 22, 2017, 10:08:17 am
Glendon Alexander? Or should I say Cerruti Brown......lol
Just googled him.  That's one shady MF'er.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 22, 2017, 01:22:13 pm
Macon is going to return. He'll be the emotional leader next year. He has a lot of passion and the always shows, which I like. He sees opportunity next year, and I fully expect him to seize it. As others have said, it was a tough time to ask that question because he was still in the moment of the loss.

I think he will keep us in suspense for a while and then announce that he is coming back.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 22, 2017, 01:22:13 pm
Macon is going to return. He'll be the emotional leader next year. He has a lot of passion and the always shows, which I like. He sees opportunity next year, and I fully expect him to seize it. As others have said, it was a tough time to ask that question because he was still in the moment of the loss.
Unless it is pretty obvious you should leave because your stock is super high -- like as SEC player of the year high -- your odds of making it in the NBA are not great. You improve your odds a good bit by waiting. You lose nothing unless you are a pretty odds-on lottery or first-round draft pick, which doesn't apply to anyone on Arkansas right now.

Bogghawg

Quote from: Fayettetopia on March 21, 2017, 05:18:51 pm
It means "we are gonna" (We gon' be back).
And that means "We are going to be back" --(We're gonna be back) -- (We gone be back).
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on March 21, 2017, 06:34:56 pm

Robinson was the last player drafted and never played in the NBA.

Fortson declared for the NBA draft and went undrafted. He didn't leave school to play overseas.

Do you know how to use Google?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 22, 2017, 11:49:40 am
What? That's crazy. He is pigeon toed though. Not sure how much it affects his ability to play basketball though.
I think the two were related, foot speed and being pigeon toed.

Mick Hogger

Technically Fortson did make it to the NBA. He had a 10 day contract with the Clippers and then another with the Rockets and finished out the season on their roster.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Mick Hogger on March 22, 2017, 11:08:28 pm
Technically Fortson did make it to the NBA. He had a 10 day contract with the Clippers and then another with the Rockets and finished out the season on their roster.

Right, but that was years after he left. He was never drafted and he left for the NBA and not to go overseas like Guvmakesstuffuphog said.

hobhog

Staying n school has never been a bad idea. Just sayin.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Bogghawg on March 22, 2017, 03:43:42 pm
And that means "We are going to be back" --(We're gonna be back) -- (We gone be back).
Or he could have just said "We are coming back".  No translation necessary!  LOL!