Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baylor football's may have been fun to watch, but it's time to shift attention

Started by jbcarol, April 28, 2016, 12:16:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MENARKHOG

He didn't completely resign from Baylor.  He is still there as a professor in the law school.  He just took a demotion, but as a chaired professor probably not much of a pay cut.

Ex-Trumpet

Resigned immediately "...as a matter of conscience..."

In other words, he could deal with his conscience just fine until he got caught.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Sivad

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 03, 2016, 04:32:03 pm
I'll bet you a dime to a dollar one of his classes is ethics.

+1, and if he is not the teacher, he obviously needs the refresher course...
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

a0ashle

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: a0ashle on June 03, 2016, 06:47:14 pm
This interview is .... Something. Complete with handler trying to keep his foot out of his mouth.

http://deadspin.com/ken-starr-faceplants-when-confronted-with-email-showing-1780263253

Now THAT is a very telling and interesting video. Does not bode well for Starr and Baylor.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on June 03, 2016, 04:01:47 pm
Resigned immediately "...as a matter of conscience..."
Like he (or anybody in the Baylor family) ever had one.

LZH

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 03, 2016, 07:03:18 pm
Now THAT is a very telling and interesting video. Does not bode well for Starr and Baylor.

And we were all shocked and angry over "what is the definition of IS?"

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

staffhog

Slick Willy has rejuvenated his image immensely and is still regarded as a great financial leader, this scumbag is not so lucky.  He is out of time and in the wrong place.  That legal ego has caught up and passed him by.  Now that is entertaining to an everyday joe.

bythelake

Is this the same Starr that tortured noland his first few years?

greasy_corner

Quote from: bythelake on June 03, 2016, 09:33:00 pm
Is this the same Starr that tortured noland his first few years?

John Robert Starr has been dead for 16 years.   Who is noland? 

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

staffhog

Nope, but "Slick Willy" and Nolan would tell you he is just as big an az*h%l#e.  Maybe it has something to do with the surname "Starr".

bythelake

Quote from: greasy_corner on June 03, 2016, 10:17:09 pm
John Robert Starr has been dead for 16 years.   Who is noland? 

Thank you, appreciate  the info.   

greasy_corner

Quote from: staffhog on June 03, 2016, 10:31:21 pm
Nope, but "Slick Willy" and Nolan would tell you he is just as big an az*h%l#e.  Maybe it has something to do with the surname "Starr".

I had to look up his date of death, and found the nugget that "supposedly" Noland sent Starr flowers when he had heart surgery, and Starr lightened up a bit on him before his death. 

But yeah, as you and bythelake are saying, Ken seems to be giving him a good run for the money... 

jbcarol

Jessica Morrey ‏@JessicaMorrey 16h16 hours ago

Parrish Cobb's father wants answers. He's waiting outside the stadium, asking every media member to ask Grobe when he'll release Parrish

Parrish Cobb's father says bc his phone calls haven't been answered, this is what he needs to do to have his voice heard by #Baylor.

http://247sports.com/Player/Parrish-Cobb-75537

Mike_e

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 03, 2016, 06:38:35 pm
You've been out of the country haven't you...................

LOL don't get all wadded up.  I had read the other k starr thread and to the point I had read it no mention of the video was made.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike_e on June 04, 2016, 10:35:02 am
LOL don't get all wadded up.  I had read the other k starr thread and to the point I had read it no mention of the video was made.

My apologies. Carry on. Interestingly enough I didn't know about some of the stuff being reported about Baylor on the days it happened. I wasn't out of the country BUT was at Mammoth Cave National Park for 6 days and only got internet service while at the local store. The internet and cell service there is terrible! I asked the desk clerk at the hotel in the park about it she asked "who do you use?" When I told her "AT&T" she responded with "you won't get it". Haha!

Mike_e

The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

jbcarol

Bill Battle on How Alabama plans to avoid Baylor-like scandal while granting second chances

QuoteThe fallout from Baylor's sexual-assault epidemic and alleged cover-up was felt on the sandy gulf shores of Destin, Fla., this week.

The rising power has either fired or accepted resignations from president Ken Starr, athletics director Ian McCaw and football coach Art Briles in the wake of a damning report detailing a program that lost its way.

From obscurity to the national title discussion, Baylor is again viewed as an institution that allowed athletics success to come before the original mission. From recruiting transfers with a history of sexual violence to allegedly impeding investigations into new cases involving athletes, an independent law firm concluded the football program's power grew beyond the reach of the administration.

It's been a topic of conversation this week at the SEC Spring Meetings in Destin. Issues involving sexual and physical violence with women remain unresolved with two SEC programs. The handling of rape investigations involving football players at Tennessee remains in question. And Thursday, Mississippi State AD Scott Stricklin was grilled by reporters after the controversial decision to allow five-star recruit Jeffery Simmons play football after video emerged of him punching a woman.

Alabama athletics director Bill Battle touts the school's educational programs for players, coaches and administrators for behavioral concerns.

"I read in the paper that if every coach, player and administrator doesn't read the full Baylor report, they have their head in the sand," Battle said. "And I think they're right. We all better take a look at that.

"I really think, particularly in that particular area (sexual violence) because that's sorta been the crime that's a popular crime of the last couple of years -- or the one that's got the most attention. I think from an educational standpoint, we've done a pretty good job university-wide, also particularly in the athletics department trying to educate what to do and how you would respond in a case when those things did happen. The response, I think, was where part of the problem was at Baylor as I understand it."

Alabama coach Nick Saban drew headlines in 2015 when signing Jonathan Taylor with domestic violence charges pending and after being booted from the Georgia football team. Taylor's time in Tuscaloosa was brief -- ending when a new domestic violence arrest occurred during spring practice. His dismissal quickly followed. Now he's enrolled and on the football roster at Southeastern Louisiana.

"All coaches think they could save everybody," Battle said in Destin. "Nick has had great success in taking players in his history. Some of them have really done well. And some haven't. But probably more than not, he has been able to change behavior. I think that's part of his DNA."

longpig

Quote from: a0ashle on June 03, 2016, 06:47:14 pm
This interview is .... Something. Complete with handler trying to keep his foot out of his mouth.

http://deadspin.com/ken-starr-faceplants-when-confronted-with-email-showing-1780263253

What kind of lawyer needs a handler for an interview?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hoggish1

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longpig on June 05, 2016, 10:18:00 am
What kind of lawyer needs a handler for an interview?

Now THAT is the best question I've read in a long time...........................

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 05, 2016, 09:40:39 pm
Starr resigns from Baylor chancellorship as a matter of conscience...  AYSM?

Yep, same conscience that got Jeffrey Epstein off lightly with all his solicitation of minors charges.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jbcarol

BornaHog

Here is a link to a new article on how bad they are messing up!   Please don't screw this one up too!

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/baylor-football-keeping-assistants-after-scathing-report

WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

kodiakisland

By only getting rid of Briles, Baylor is assuring itself that culture won't change.  They are more concerned about wins than what is right.  Hopefully it costs them in the long run.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

KlubhouseKonnected

They ain't lettin go of that rope!!! They are Hoping for one more good season before the reality sinks in.

Reminds me of me one April a few years back.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Baylor still doesn't want to come clean & get everyone out that needs to go.  This should be a little spit in the eye to the NCAA.  Also, shows that Grobe is not really serious about getting the program straightened out.  What a joke.   Hope the NCAA goes max with them.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

King Kong

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 09, 2016, 10:43:16 pm
Baylor still doesn't want to come clean & get everyone out that needs to go.  This should be a little spit in the eye to the NCAA.  Also, shows that Grobe is not really serious about getting the program straightened out.  What a joke.   Hope the NCAA goes max with them.

Agree with the majority. However, I don't believe Grobe has been given the power to fire anyone.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 09, 2016, 08:57:34 pm
By only getting rid of Briles, Baylor is assuring itself that culture won't change.  They are more concerned about wins than what is right. 
Baylor doesn't WANT it to change.
What a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on June 09, 2016, 10:55:16 pm
Agree with the majority. However, I don't believe Grobe has been given the power to fire anyone.

Yep, Grobe has zero power

BornaHog

I can't believe that there are still recruits planning trips and one committed to Baylor today with all the their recruits that signed this year that are trying to get out! Oh well I guess they think they'll get playing time.   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on June 09, 2016, 11:06:54 pm
Baylor doesn't WANT it to change.
What a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites.

Always have been. They were that way in the old SWC but without the wins.....................

oldhawg

Quote from: BornaHog on June 09, 2016, 11:17:19 pm
   I can't believe that there are still recruits planning trips and one committed to Baylor today with all the their recruits that signed this year that are trying to get out! Oh well I guess they think they'll get playing time.   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG

SemperHawg

The only reason I can see them keeping the RB coach is if there is behind the scenes knowledge that the RB coach was told to handle it a certain way and shut his mouth or it meant his job by someone higher in the food chain like Briles.  It doesn't make it right, but if Briles threatened to dudes job or something that is a tough situation to get around.  This is all purely speculative and is based in no fact what so ever.

Personally I am not even sure the threat of losing my job would keep me from speaking up, but I have never been in the situation and certainly wouldn't pretend know his situation or speak for him either.

It is really the only way I can even remotely justify them letting that dud keep his job (the RB coach)  and even that is pretty thin!

kodiakisland

It just keeps coming.  Now Grobe is getting involved in sweeping things under the rug.  I hope Baylor burns.

Quote"Grobe says to me, 'Listen, if he just leaves, he can go on, and we won't stop him from playing anywhere, and this investigation will stop.'" Flabbergasted at the notion a sexual assault investigation might disappear if an accused player were to leave the team, Sims said he pressed Grobe, but Grobe struggled to be more specific before implying that Baylor administrators had made him remove the player from the team.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/16083428/ex-baylor-football-player-says-get-fair-chance-clear-name-stay-school

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 10, 2016, 10:32:27 am
It just keeps coming.  Now Grobe is getting involved in sweeping things under the rug.  I hope Baylor burns.

From the same article: {inside these are my edits} and emphasis added.

"He {the player, Faulk} said he was also questioned {by staff} about an alleged sexual assault that may have occurred in April on the Baylor campus, when he was on the Baylor team. No charges were filed in either case; Faulk, who denies sexually assaulting anyone, said he's never been asked by police to discuss the alleged April incident.

Look kid, I'm not saying you are guilty, but given the broader context in which this is occurring, the fact that Waco police have not questioned you about a sexual assault allegation is not something you are going to get a lot of mileage out of.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

26.2Hog

Quote from: SemperHawg on June 10, 2016, 08:56:41 am
The only reason I can see them keeping the RB coach is if there is behind the scenes knowledge that the RB coach was told to handle it a certain way and shut his mouth or it meant his job by someone higher in the food chain like Briles.  It doesn't make it right, but if Briles threatened to dudes job or something that is a tough situation to get around.  This is all purely speculative and is based in no fact what so ever.

Personally I am not even sure the threat of losing my job would keep me from speaking up, but I have never been in the situation and certainly wouldn't pretend know his situation or speak for him either.

It is really the only way I can even remotely justify them letting that dud keep his job (the RB coach)  and even that is pretty thin!

Semper, the RB coach, Jeff Lebby, is Briles' son-in-law. 

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on June 09, 2016, 10:55:16 pm

JohnLish....

King Kong

rhog1

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/10/another-day-another-disturbing-situation-surfaces-at-baylor/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

According to this they haven't learned their lesson at all. Grobe allegedly told Faulk's former coach that if he leaves the team the sexual assault investigation ends. Good on that coach for bringing this public and exposing Baylor again.

sickboy

Quote from: rhog1 on June 10, 2016, 02:24:32 pm
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/10/another-day-another-disturbing-situation-surfaces-at-baylor/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

According to this they haven't learned their lesson at all. Grobe allegedly told Faulk's former coach that if he leaves the team the sexual assault investigation ends. Good on that coach for bringing this public and exposing Baylor again.

I'm gonna say it again, there's a systemic problem with college football. When you fire one coach for such terrible issues -- then you hire a new coach and he jumps right into acting like this -- it says that these coaches think this behavior is fine because EVERYONE DOES IT. The sport has become the entitled child who's been given a Porsche when they turn 16. It's the Affluenza kid who ran away to Mexico... they think they're invincible and that their problems are more important than yours.

College football coaches don't live on the same planet you and I do, the one where there is right and wrong and football is just a game. They live on a planet where you have to win at any cost. And Head Coaches use assistants to let them turn a blind eye to whatever gets in the way of that cause. Be it rape -- be it drugs -- be it bribery -- hell, probably murder. I'm not saying they're all like this... but I'm saying that the majority are, to some extent or another.

I love college football as much as the next guy. But what's happened at Penn State and what's now going on at Baylor... it's just gross.

I just don't see how any of this isn't the NCAA's fault. They're the rich parent who's giving the kid the keys to the castle. And when the kid breaks the law, they bust them out of jail by using their own political power then slap them on the wrist by punishing the kid with cutting his allowance of a million dollars a month to 750K/month, which is really nothing more than a publicity stunt to show people you're still a "tough" parent -- when in reality you're breeding a sociopath.

It's a joke.