Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bullfrog population decline

Started by twistitup, January 23, 2015, 10:58:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

When I was growing up we frog gigged regularly in the warm months...then about 1997-99 the frog population declined and has never returned to those levels. I blamed cotton defoliant until finding out frogs were populations took a dive most everywhere I asked about

Where have all the bullfrogs gone? Do you still hear frogs or gig in the summer? An old timer told me a few weeks ago there were frogs all over beaver lake - but not anymore and he had no idea why this happened
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PorkRinds

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=3597

CORVALLIS, Ore. — The first-ever estimate of how fast frogs, toads and salamanders in the United States are disappearing from their habitats reveals they are vanishing at an alarming and rapid rate.

According to the study released today in the scientific journal PLOS ONE, even the species of amphibians presumed to be relatively stable and widespread are declining. And these declines are occurring in amphibian populations everywhere, from the swamps in Louisiana and Florida to the high mountains of the Sierras and the Rockies.

DeltaBoy

I still heard plenty this past summer in Monroe County but we have a state and Federal WMA and tons of Rice farming.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Problem is directly related to the "Bigfoot" population.  They are eating them, they evidently have a sweet tooth for frog legs......
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 23, 2015, 06:46:15 pm
Problem is directly related to the "Bigfoot" population.  They are eating them, they evidently have a sweet tooth for frog legs......

And here I always thought it was the French who had a sweet tooth for frog legs.....go.....figure......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

JaketheSnake

More people are keeping their lake and pond surroundings mowed down. That makes them pretty easy prey.  That's could have something to do with it.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 23, 2015, 06:49:28 pm

And here I always thought it was the French who had a sweet tooth for frog legs.....go.....figure......

Hey...you may be right.  One of those Bigfoot researchers, claims there are at least 3 different races of Bigfoots in the USA & Canada, just like humans. (Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, etc.)
Bet the one's eating the frogs are the French Bigfoot's , & just haven't been discovered over here yet.....those things do seem hard to catch....

bolo

i have heard for over 30 years when they decided to protect blue herons frogs started getting scarce.
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

twistitup

Quote from: bolo on January 24, 2015, 04:56:01 am
i have heard for over 30 years when they decided to protect blue herons frogs started getting scarce.

That makes sense. Blue Herons are common where I grew up. They must be ultra efficient killers...

Albert Einswine

There has been a pretty decent increase in the wading bird populations just by my anecdotal observation over the years.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Pigasaurus

Kinda like the fire ants/ quail population decline in SE AR.  We used to have bobwhites in town for crying out loud.  Now- nada.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

twistitup

Quote from: pigasaurus on January 24, 2015, 07:12:37 am
Kinda like the fire ants/ quail population decline in SE AR.  We used to have bobwhites in town for crying out loud.  Now- nada.

Both quail and bullfrogs declined around the same time where I'm from. I always blamed crop dusters but who really knows

PonderinHog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 23, 2015, 09:56:13 pm
Hey...you may be right.  One of those Bigfoot researchers, claims there are at least 3 different races of Bigfoots in the USA & Canada, just like humans. (Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, etc.)
Bet the one's eating the frogs are the French Bigfoot's , & just haven't been discovered over here yet.....those things do seem hard to catch....
Yeah, the scientific name of the French Bigfoot is "le grand pied," FWIW.

pigture perfect

I think the frog population started declining around here after Hurricane Katrina.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

We have way more Blue Herons and other long legged water birds now than we had in the 1970's
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

bolo

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 26, 2015, 10:03:39 am
We have way more Blue Herons and other long legged water birds now than we had in the 1970's
gotta be the reason
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

tophawg19

that and those from Japan that are protected . cormorants are very effective at wiping out fish, frogs and other aquatics
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Albert Einswine

Me and a buddy from Egypt, Arkansas were trout fishing today on Spring River and I asked him about the bullfrog population around his neck of the woods these days. He confirmed it's way down and we discussed the factors. He mentioned that the blue herons are thick, check, we also discussed the AGFC ban on killing snakes and turtles, check, and he mentioned that after Duck Dynasty became popular everybody and their brother decided it would be cool to go gig every bullfrog in the country, every bullfrog, not just the big mature ones, every stinkin' bullfrog that showed its eyes.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

twistitup

Damn blue herons have messed up the balance of things

tophawg19

also a ton of raccoons running loose these days
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

twistitup

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 27, 2015, 08:14:12 pm

Very few coon hunt and/or trap these days, this may be an additional factor

pick_DA_EAGLES

The local minnow farms usually hold some frogs. As for general access frogs, once we go through a good dry spell and most of the ditches, sloughs, and water holes dry up, you can do pretty good on cache river, IF you can be one of the first couple people to get after them.

bolo

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 27, 2015, 08:14:12 pm
yep, i didnt think about coons.
R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ

twistitup

January 28, 2015, 05:17:39 am #23 Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:00:22 am by twistitup
My dad and I loved to go and I was hoping to pass this on to my kids.....but there are no frogs. We took pride in a sharp gig, good head lamp and boots - those days may be gone for good ....

It's sad / concerning when tradition is lost.

The Boar War

Quote from: pigasaurus on January 24, 2015, 07:12:37 am

Just like the fire ant argument, the heron position is a problem but just part of the overall issue.  Both species are on lower rungs of the food chain and their habitat and cover has been greatly reduced.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: twistitup on January 28, 2015, 05:17:39 am
My dad and I loved to go and I was hoping to pass this on to my kids.....but there are no frogs. We took pride in a sharp gig, good head lamp and boots - those days may be gone for good ....

It's sad / concerning when tradition it lost.

Amen I spent many nights out to 10-12 pm frog gigging in Monroe County.

PonderinHog

Isn't a healthy frog population a sign of a healthy ecosystem?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 28, 2015, 09:40:23 am
Isn't a healthy frog population a sign of a healthy ecosystem?

Yes and we need boys to start thinning out the Turtles and Snakes in the ditches and ponds cause AG&F is ran by MORONS with College degrees.

EastexHawg

We have a ton of frogs, including bullfrogs, on and around our place.  We also have a ditch that tends to fill up when it rains and stays fairly moist most of the time.  When we first moved in and for a couple of years it stayed full all the time and you could see tadpoles by the thousands in the water.  That was before I discovered a leak in the water company's line before it got to our meter.

Not related, but I am also pretty surprised at the dove population in our neighborhood.  They're everywhere.

And no, I'm not going to tell you guys where I live so you can come gig all the frogs and blast the doves.  LOL.

Hog1952

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 23, 2015, 12:53:31 pm
I still heard plenty this past summer in Monroe County but we have a state and Federal WMA and tons of Rice farming.
DeltaBoy I used to live in the delta and have gigged,caught and shot (had gun permits on minnow farms) many bull frogs. Used to deer and duck hunt on that land across from East Lake and East Bayou. That was years before the Feds got that land. Caught a lot of crappie and bream in Redcat and East lake.....those were good times.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 29, 2015, 01:43:14 pm
We have a ton of frogs, including bullfrogs, on and around our place.  We also have a ditch that tends to fill up when it rains and stays fairly moist most of the time.  When we first moved in and for a couple of years it stayed full all the time and you could see tadpoles by the thousands in the water.  That was before I discovered a leak in the water company's line before it got to our meter.

Not related, but I am also pretty surprised at the dove population in our neighborhood.They're everywhere.

And no, I'm not going to tell you guys where I live so you can come gig all the frogs and blast the doves.  LOL.

Yes, the doves seem to hang around neighborhoods much more than they used to.  I could sit in my backyard on most days during dove season....& kill my limit within 1-2 hours, late in the evening.  Have counted 20 or more in my yard at the same time, on many occasions.  They hang around, most of the year. When real cold weather hits, it pushes many of them out. They return, or a new group comes in... after a few warm days. These doves have grown smart.  They realize they don't get shot at around houses too often. 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hog1952 on January 29, 2015, 05:10:26 pm
DeltaBoy I used to live in the delta and have gigged,caught and shot (had gun permits on minnow farms) many bull frogs. Used to deer and duck hunt on that land across from East Lake and East Bayou. That was years before the Feds got that land. Caught a lot of crappie and bream in Redcat and East lake.....those were good times.

We hunted and fished some of the same ground then. Yes Hunting and Fishing was special in Monroe County back in the 1970-90's till the Feds moved in.